Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

20 years since Bill Graham 's passing today
Date: October 25, 2011 16:00

I'm gonna put on the Stones shows at www.wolfgangsvault.com to honour the great concert promoter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-27 10:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: 25 years since Bill Graham 's passing today
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 25, 2011 16:01

25 years ago?!?!?!? Feels like yesterday!!! Time flies indeed. RIP Mr Graham.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: October 25, 2011 18:45

you mean 20 years right ?

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: October 25, 2011 18:50

20 it is.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 25, 2011 18:55

i knew the dude. he always treated me with love and respect. But he still kinda scared me and everyone who witnessed his raging temper. Unfortunately Bill Graham Presents was turned into a less honest and righteous organization after his death. I see signs of Bill all over the California music scene to this day. He is still with us in that regard. Gotta love the scene described in the Last Waltz where Bill throws Bob Dylans lawyer off the stage when the lawyer trys to keep Bob from performing a song that wasn't pre-approved. That was Let Me Follow You Down and it turned out great. I remember he loved the Who, told me some stories about them that had me on the ground laughing. peace.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 25, 2011 18:56

The only nice thing I ever read about the guy was Bill German in UNDER THEIR THUMB saying Bill Graham supported the Beggar's Banquet newsletter despite its teeniness. Most other stuff mentioned him screaming at people.

EDIT: The post just above was posted just before I posted. So now I can say I've read two nice things about Graham.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-25 18:59 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 25, 2011 18:59

RIP Bill. His legend still looms large.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: October 25, 2011 19:30

20 years since he died, and 22 years since the Stones broke his heart.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: October 25, 2011 19:36

Went to a Graham-produced two-day festival at Squaw Valley in August of '91. Jimmy Cliff, the Neville Brothers, Bela Fleck, the (electric) Jerry Garcia Band on day one and Jerry Garcia and David Grisman (acoustic) on day two. And Booker T. & The MG's who stole the show.

And all this three quarters of the way up the mountain. In a beautiful natural amphitheater accessible by chairlift and overlooking Lake Tahoe. We'd flash the two-day pass, ride the chair up to the concert site and bask in the alpine sun with "Green Onions" booming up the bowl.

It was the kind of show that only Bill Graham and BGP would even consider, much less attempt.

After the second night, I was walking through the site, getting ready to go down the hill when Bill walked perhaps six feet in front of me. He was checking out the crowd and the post-show scene. I wanted to say hi and thank him, but I didn't have the nerve to speak up. Eight weeks later, he was gone...

Bill on the Stones' 1981 American Tour:

"Just before the first show of the tour, I was going from dressing room to dressing room like the coach. 'Here we go. Twenty. Twenty minutes. Fifteen. Fifteen minutes.' I got to the next dressing room and I swung the door open. I didn't really know Keith yet. Not like I could say to him, 'Hey, schmuck!' It was still Keith. I swung the door open and as I did, I said, 'Fifteen, Keith.'

He had his head down and he was putting lime juice in his hair. He had this lime and he was squeezing it, trying to get out one more drop. As I was moving away, I said, 'Fifteen, Keith.' I heard this voice saying, 'What'd you say?' Without missing a beat, I turned around and put out my hands to him and said, 'Whenever you're ready, baby.' He fell down. he just dropped. It was great."

"Wherever they went was the rock and roll capital of the world for that day. They were the major event in that city. Because how could anyone have two better foils than Keith Richards and Mick Jagger? Keith Richards could take a towel and throw it over his shoulder and become Errol Flynn in Captain Blood [Bill was decades ahead of Johnny Depp on this]. And Mick was Mick."

Date: October 25, 2011 19:55

rocker1

Mick commented on that in the exchange below from a MUSICIAN MAGAZINE interview:

MUSICIAN: “Let’s talk business for a minute. The climax of Bill Graham’s autobiography is his obsession with getting the Steel Wheels tour and the depression he sank into when you chose another promoter. It felt as if Graham was telling the reader more than he understood himself. Between the lines it seemed to me that you kept sending him signals that there was no way he could make money if he bid as much as the other company was bidding, but he wouldn’t take your hints. At one point the Stones even offered Graham what was in effect a $500,000 gift to act as sort of a freefloating advisor. Instead of taking that for what it was—a very generous consolation prize—he insisted that it proved you really wanted HIM to do the tour."

JAGGER: “That was a strange situation. Basically, you don’t always want to do deals with the same people you did deals with before. You might get offered a job at Rolling Stone. You look at the offers and you say, `Well, all in all I think I’ll stay with Musician.’ Whatever the reasons, you look at the offers that you get, right? So I looked at the offers for the Rolling Stones tour, and ultimately I had to make a business decision. You do a certain amount of work and you get paid a certain amount of money. There’s money involved and then there’s personalities involved and you have to balance all these things up. You don’t always go for the most money, otherwise it would be very simple. It was a very hard decision because we’d worked with Bill before. But, you know, we’d only done one big tour with Bill. That doesn’t mean you have to do every tour for the rest of your life.”

MUSICIAN: “Graham gave you the funniest line in his book. He’d managed to get the seat next to you on a flight from London and he said, `Come on, Mick, you’ll each make 16 or 18 million, what’s the difference?’ And you said, `Well, two million dollars.’”

JAGGER: “To ME. [laughing] Divide it up and take it away! The difference was really 17 million. 17 million dollars is a lot of money!”

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: October 27, 2011 08:33

[www.archive.org]

The Grateful Dead played the first of four shows two days later. This show is powerful. Jerry and Bob shine!

Carlos Santana and Gary Duncan join them in the 2nd set for a few tunes.

10-27-91 Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland, Ca. (Sun)

1: Sugar Magnolia> Sugaree, Walking Blues, Althea, Masterpiece, Candyman, Cassidy, Touch

2: China Cat> I Know You Rider, Samson, Ship Of Fools, Iko Iko*> Mona*> Jam* Drumz> Wheel> Miracle> Wharf Rat> Good Lovin

E: Heaven's Door

*with Carlos Santana and Gary Duncan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-27 08:36 by Bingo.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 27, 2011 10:04

Title5Take1
rocker1

Mick commented on that in the exchange below from a MUSICIAN MAGAZINE interview:

MUSICIAN: “Let’s talk business for a minute. The climax of Bill Graham’s autobiography is his obsession with getting the Steel Wheels tour and the depression he sank into when you chose another promoter. It felt as if Graham was telling the reader more than he understood himself. Between the lines it seemed to me that you kept sending him signals that there was no way he could make money if he bid as much as the other company was bidding, but he wouldn’t take your hints. At one point the Stones even offered Graham what was in effect a $500,000 gift to act as sort of a freefloating advisor. Instead of taking that for what it was—a very generous consolation prize—he insisted that it proved you really wanted HIM to do the tour."

JAGGER: “That was a strange situation. Basically, you don’t always want to do deals with the same people you did deals with before. You might get offered a job at Rolling Stone. You look at the offers and you say, `Well, all in all I think I’ll stay with Musician.’ Whatever the reasons, you look at the offers that you get, right? So I looked at the offers for the Rolling Stones tour, and ultimately I had to make a business decision. You do a certain amount of work and you get paid a certain amount of money. There’s money involved and then there’s personalities involved and you have to balance all these things up. You don’t always go for the most money, otherwise it would be very simple. It was a very hard decision because we’d worked with Bill before. But, you know, we’d only done one big tour with Bill. That doesn’t mean you have to do every tour for the rest of your life.”

MUSICIAN: “Graham gave you the funniest line in his book. He’d managed to get the seat next to you on a flight from London and he said, `Come on, Mick, you’ll each make 16 or 18 million, what’s the difference?’ And you said, `Well, two million dollars.’”

JAGGER: “To ME. [laughing] Divide it up and take it away! The difference was really 17 million. 17 million dollars is a lot of money!”

As I understand it, the '81 tour had some troubles the way Graham organised it. He basically sold each city to a local promotor, who then was responsible for organisations and tickets sales. In the end, the organisation wasn't at a professional level, and apparantly a lot of people made money out of the tour who wheren't supposed to. Then during the Steel Wheels negotiations Graham was used to get a better price from Cohl. There never was a real intention to give the tour to Graham.

Mathijs

Re: 20 years since Bill Graham 's passing today
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: October 27, 2011 16:17

I didn't have much experience with Bill Graham aside from seeing him at a few shows over the years. My most memoralble encouter with Bill was outside the Warfield Theater in SF prior to a Jerry Garcia Band show. There was a small crowd outside who had no tickets...and Bill showed up just before showtime. Some guy starts in on Bill ...complaining about something that had happened at a different show months ago. Bill asks the guy ..did you write me a letter? ...No was the reply & Bill just said don't come up to me just before a show months later about something that had happened months ago. Write me a letter & I will respond. My point is that as a promoter ...he was accesible.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 27, 2011 17:56

He took a lot of musicians for a lot of money.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: October 27, 2011 19:58

I like how he would try to turn people on to good music. He would book a jazz singer to open for the Dead ..or something to that effect.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 28, 2011 00:48

...What happeneb to those boots that Keef gave Bill Graham after the 81 tour...
Graham said in an interview that he had them on display in a glass case ....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 3, 2013 18:53

It's funny his name was so close to the preacher Billy Graham.

Date: March 3, 2013 18:55

I once saw a T-shirt at a Dead show "Bill Graham is an a**hole."

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 3, 2013 19:14

I drank this to his memory...
[www.cocktailmaking.co.uk]

Posted by: Des ()
Date: March 4, 2013 18:58

After seeing his documentary about closing the Filmores I had some respect for the guy.

He appeared to see through the BS of rock band entitelment. Complaining he had had it once the "I need the brown M&Ms removed" era of bands started. He was a business man who worked for the crowd. Around Steal Wheels he got a call from MJ before his first world tour asking him to propmte the tour, Bill asked what he was going to charge, $40.00 was the reply, Bill swore at him, told him to buzz off and hung up.

One of my favorite clips is from an open air show somewhere, where he is pacing behing the amps looking for Dylan who is late, the croud is chanting Bob. The camera pans down behind the stage and we see Dylan walking through the backstagers, taking his time, shaking hands. Bill spots him, runs to the side of the stage for the stairs grabing an acoustic guitar along the way. He pounds down the stairs runs up to Dylan, rams the guitar into his hands, gets behind Dylan and literaly kicks his ass up on stage until he breaks out infront of the croud to huge applause. Bill then qualifies his actions for the camera, when are these guys going to learn this is my money they are palying with.

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: March 4, 2013 20:19

The Memorial for Bill Graham in Golden Gate Park was pretty cool. A telegram of condolences from Mick & Keith was read to the crowd:

Bill Graham Memorial: Laughter, Love And Music
1991-11-03
Polo Field
Golden Gate Park
San Francisco

Prior to the Grateful Dead set commencing this day, Jerry Pompili introduced Bill's son David to the stage. David proceeded to read a condolence telegram sent by Mick Jagger & Keith Ricahrds

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 4, 2013 20:49

mccparty
The Memorial for Bill Graham in Golden Gate Park was pretty cool. A telegram of condolences from Mick & Keith was read to the crowd:

Bill Graham Memorial: Laughter, Love And Music
1991-11-03
Polo Field
Golden Gate Park
San Francisco

Prior to the Grateful Dead set commencing this day, Jerry Pompili introduced Bill's son David to the stage. David proceeded to read a condolence telegram sent by Mick Jagger & Keith Ricahrds

Almost made it to the show, but decided against it at the last minute. Recorded it all off the radio. Some wonderful perfs....Aaron Neville, Fogerty back by the Dead, Neil, Santana....sad times in the Bay Area, though. Uncle Bobo no mo'.

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: March 5, 2013 05:47

Did they bury him yet?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 5, 2013 06:13

Title5Take1
It's funny his name was so close to the preacher Billy Graham.

Just a coincidence. He was born in Berlin, Germany, but was of Russian-Jewish descent, and his real name was Wolodia Grajonca. Having emigrated to America he changed his name, choosing his surname form the phone book. In fact, both "Bill" and "Graham" were meaningless to him.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 5, 2013 06:37

Des
After seeing his documentary about closing the Filmores I had some respect for the guy.

He appeared to see through the BS of rock band entitelment. Complaining he had had it once the "I need the brown M&Ms removed" era of bands started. He was a business man who worked for the crowd. Around Steal Wheels he got a call from MJ before his first world tour asking him to propmte the tour, Bill asked what he was going to charge, $40.00 was the reply, Bill swore at him, told him to buzz off and hung up.

One of my favorite clips is from an open air show somewhere, where he is pacing behing the amps looking for Dylan who is late, the croud is chanting Bob. The camera pans down behind the stage and we see Dylan walking through the backstagers, taking his time, shaking hands. Bill spots him, runs to the side of the stage for the stairs grabing an acoustic guitar along the way. He pounds down the stairs runs up to Dylan, rams the guitar into his hands, gets behind Dylan and literaly kicks his ass up on stage until he breaks out infront of the croud to huge applause. Bill then qualifies his actions for the camera, when are these guys going to learn this is my money they are palying with.

No matter what humble beginnings some of the rock crowd might have come from, they couldn't compare with the austerity of Graham's beginnings, having been placed in an orphanage just after birth and shipped out of your country just to avoid the perils of @#$%&'s Germany and having your mother die in Auschwitz and most of your brothers and sisters killed as well. Then coming to America the land of the free and being taunted for his immigrant status and accent.

So it must have galled him considerably to witness the spoiled princely behavior of rock gods worshiped for their words and music like little Caesars. But he knew where his bread was buttered, so he could only complain so much.

The "no brown M&Ms" crowd must have come along soon after conscription in America was discontinued, as it sounds like the concert rider proscriptions of the first generation not to know any war.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: March 5, 2013 07:14

I guess its ironic: I'm visiting San Fran next week and high on my list are both Fillmores (one at Van Ness, now a car dealership, and the original at Geary and Fillmore) and the Civic Auditorium.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: March 5, 2013 08:24

"The great concert promoter?" He wasn't particularly well liked at the end, by the punks and by the Rolling Stones.

The punks resented his attempt to monopolize all rock clubs in the Bay Area. His company was called "Bill Graham Presents." In 1980-81, punks used to wear T-shirts that said "Bill Graham Prevents" to protest his narrow-minded monopoly.

As for the Stones, they stopped using Graham as a promoter after he skimmed off thier profits during the 1981 US tour. You can read about it here:

[www.deseretnews.com]

He was an arsehole.

Posted by: PeanutGallery ()
Date: March 6, 2013 07:57

Pietro
"The great concert promoter?" He wasn't particularly well liked at the end, by the punks and by the Rolling Stones.

The punks resented his attempt to monopolize all rock clubs in the Bay Area. His company was called "Bill Graham Presents." In 1980-81, punks used to wear T-shirts that said "Bill Graham Prevents" to protest his narrow-minded monopoly.

As for the Stones, they stopped using Graham as a promoter after he skimmed off thier profits during the 1981 US tour. You can read about it here:

[www.deseretnews.com]

He was an arsehole.

See also the thread:
Who was Bill Graham's partner who scored a house off Stones?

PeanutGallery

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1429
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home