Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: I like the Dirty Work album...
Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 27, 2011 04:28

The worst album in the Stones cannon by far. Fight and Hold Back are awful. But hey if some people like it who really cares?? To each their own.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 27, 2011 04:49

slew
Fight and Hold Back are awful.

Thank you! I am going crazy reading how some are considering these songs great w/ great guitar etc. They're both pathetically bad.

slew
But hey if some people like it who really cares?? To each their own.

Well, you started out okay, but what's w/ this crap ... The Stones have their share of classics but when some try to put this crap on a pedestal then I have to take a stand. So the hell w/ 'to each their own', it doesn't fly.

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: October 27, 2011 04:57

LeonidP
slew
Fight and Hold Back are awful.

Thank you! I am going crazy reading how some are considering these songs great w/ great guitar etc. They're both pathetically bad.

slew
But hey if some people like it who really cares?? To each their own.

Well, you started out okay, but what's w/ this crap ... The Stones have their share of classics but when some try to put this crap on a pedestal then I have to take a stand. So the hell w/ 'to each their own', it doesn't fly.

This reminds me of an REO fan I worked with. No matter how bad their later releases were he always talked about how good it was. Everyone could see it except him.

The best thing you could ever say about DW is it sucks something awful, but its the Stones so I still choose to listen. Anything more then that is a head scratcher.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 27, 2011 04:58

The best songs are the ones that Bill is on. What does that tell you?
And I still like the red cellophane wrapping. I thought that was great.
It'd be interesting to know who's responsible for the tracks chosen? Jagger? Richards? Steve Lillywhite? All 3?

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: October 27, 2011 06:17

DragonSky
One Hit smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer
Fight smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer
Harlem Shuffle smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer
Hold Back smileys with beer
Too Rude smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer
Winning Ugly x
Back To Zero smileys with beer
Dirty Work smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer
Had It With You smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer
Sleep Tonight smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer

Trippy

Turn the laptop 90 degrees and it's an equalizer

Posted by: TwentyDollarMe ()
Date: October 27, 2011 16:39

He, or leave as it is and it's an Oktoberfest smileys with beer

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 27, 2011 17:37

uhbuhgullayew
DragonSky
One Hit smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer
Fight smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer
Harlem Shuffle smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer
Hold Back smileys with beer
Too Rude smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer
Winning Ugly x
Back To Zero smileys with beer
Dirty Work smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer
Had It With You smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer
Sleep Tonight smileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beer

Trippy

Turn the laptop 90 degrees and it's an equalizer

That is too much. And even a bit off.

x - obviously horrendous, 5 being pretty good considering the LP

One Hit 4.5
Fight 3
Harlem Shuffle 5
Hold Back X
Too Rude 3.5
Winning Ugly X
Back To Zero .75
Dirty Work 4.25
Had It With You 5
Sleep Tonight 3.25

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: October 27, 2011 19:38

Ilike a few tracks it s fine. Like Undercover better.

Posted by: zapata ()
Date: October 27, 2011 22:55

DW is a great rock & roll album, not all tracks are that good, but I like the kind of "dark" rock feeling on the album

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: October 27, 2011 23:12

slew
The worst album in the Stones cannon by far. Fight and Hold Back are awful. But hey if some people like it who really cares?? To each their own.

Have to agree. I find the album dreadful. But, if you like it - fine.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: October 27, 2011 23:42

DragonSky

One Hit 4.5
Fight 3
Harlem Shuffle 5
Hold Back X
Too Rude 3.5
Winning Ugly X
Back To Zero .75
Dirty Work 4.25
Had It With You 5
Sleep Tonight 3.25

Can't take it anymore reading all this nonsense crap here. Why is Winning Ugly "obviously horrendous"? There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's a very good song. Just because of the keyboard synthiser thing in there? Well, get over it and just listen to it. It has incredibly groovie bass line from Bill and great riff from Keith all over. Plus Mick's singing is actually good on this one compared to others on the album. Are you Skipstone reborn or something? Simply not liking the song is fine but calling it obviously horrendous is just too much.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 27, 2011 23:51

I think in about 30 years this one will be considered as there best album ever made....but I think we are not ready for it yet >grinning smiley<

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 28, 2011 00:02

Hillside Blues
DragonSky

One Hit 4.5
Fight 3
Harlem Shuffle 5
Hold Back X
Too Rude 3.5
Winning Ugly X
Back To Zero .75
Dirty Work 4.25
Had It With You 5
Sleep Tonight 3.25

Can't take it anymore reading all this nonsense crap here. Why is Winning Ugly "obviously horrendous"? There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's a very good song. Just because of the keyboard synthiser thing in there? Well, get over it and just listen to it. It has incredibly groovie bass line from Bill and great riff from Keith all over. Plus Mick's singing is actually good on this one compared to others on the album. Are you Skipstone reborn or something? Simply not liking the song is fine but calling it obviously horrendous is just too much.

Imagine it would´ve been the only Stones album ever...what do you think ?
I like Harlem Shuffle,and that´s enough.

Crap album with a ridiculous cover.

Date: October 28, 2011 00:18

Hillside Blues
DragonSky

One Hit 4.5
Fight 3
Harlem Shuffle 5
Hold Back X
Too Rude 3.5
Winning Ugly X
Back To Zero .75
Dirty Work 4.25
Had It With You 5
Sleep Tonight 3.25

There is something absolutely wrong with it - that's why it got a X for obviously horrendous - because it is. The remix made it even worse. Get over the keyboard? Print don't lie - it sucks. Lyrics are crap too. The gutiaring, however, is good. But that's not enough to say it's a good song. It's just a really bad song. Not sure why you have taken such offence to my view of it when that is all it is. It's almost as bad as Streets Of Love.

Date: October 28, 2011 00:47

I don't get the Winning Ugly hate either. I love what goes on in the bottom there, and main lick is fierce. The way Jagger sings it is a bit much; (actually it is really the title that bugs me), but it's more than a groove, or a dub, or a bad riff. has a good bridge.
It fits the pattern of the Jagger dominated song, that opens Side 2 in latter years, usually the 2nd or 3rd single; often a hated song.
Rock and a Hard Place - I Go Wild - Saint Of Me - Mother of a Man - Too Much Blood

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: October 28, 2011 15:32

Like it. I think they should do another album in that "hate" mood. It would sound different anyway nowadays. Would become a great album! The cover design was 80s....far better than "A bigger bang" which is really not meeting their standard.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 28, 2011 15:36

always hated dirtywork, its not the sort of record i would let people hear if i was trying to get them into the stones.

Date: October 28, 2011 15:58

The keyboards and the drum sound ruin the song, but it is definitely not "obviously horrendous". Then again, it depends on what you really like with the Stones.

If you like great guitars and an ok song, you'd tolerate the synth and the drum sound, imo.

There is nothing wrong with Jagger on this one. The back up-vocals might be a little cheesy, though (ooh, ooh, oooooh...).

I'll give it a smoking smiley smoking smiley smoking smiley out of 6.

Date: October 28, 2011 16:10

Well it is for me. Jagger brought his She's The Boss voice to this one.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 28, 2011 19:16

There is a DW thread every month or so, and it helps me to realize how much I changed my mind over it.

What I think today is that over all it is a very good record. Actually, there is not a bad song in it. That is Winning and Zero included.

It could have been played and produced better. Fine enough. But Charlie wasn't in the best shape and Mick and Keith we all know, so there are reasons for it. Besides, that was what the Stones were at the time.

The only thing I still don't get is why they wanted the release to sound so angry. The outtakes confirm that they had some great stuff to balance the mood. The DW outtakes are probably my fav outtakes!

C

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 28, 2011 20:21

purepop
i always defend this album
i celebrated it's release by buying my first cd player.
loved when they did one hit to the body in toronto sept 1989 and then never played it again.

They also played it on 9/6 when I saw them at Three Rivers.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 28, 2011 20:29

big4
purepop
i always defend this album
i celebrated it's release by buying my first cd player.
loved when they did one hit to the body in toronto sept 1989 and then never played it again.

They also played it on 9/6 when I saw them at Three Rivers.

and then many times after that. wonder if purepop still loves it...

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 28, 2011 20:29

DandelionPowderman
Sleep Tonight:

Yes - (I played) drums on... Sleep Tonight - I could never get over the thought of playing instead of Charlie, I thought that would be a sacrilege, but he insisted because he was going through a lot of problems at the time and couldn't be at the studio. Keith said, Right, you're on drums, so I finally hacked it into shape and when Charlie got there I gave him the sticks and he said, No, I can't get it right, you play it. It worked out good.
- Ron Wood, 1988

Too Rude:
On Too Rude, I got to play the drums. That was when Charlie was going through a terrible time with Shirley. They were having lots of heavy arguments and so Charlie was often late, or Shirley would come into the studio and forcibly drag him out. On one of those nights Keith said, All right, you're on drums, Ronnie... The drum sound was very dynamic: I ended up sounding like Solomon Burke's drummer. I was very proud of it, actually.
- Ron Wood, 2003

These are some reasons why, in addition to thank you credits to drummer Anton Fig and Steve Jordan, I've really questioned how much Charlie actually plays on DW. Also, the lack of swing in the rhythm and how on some songs it sounds like two different drum tracks have been mixed into one, make me question how much of the drumming on the album is from Charlie.

Posted by: pagodapete ()
Date: October 28, 2011 21:17

I like the Dirty Work album...

Posted by: Send It To me ()

Date: October 25, 2011 12:22

...and I don't care who knows it.

One Hit = freakin' awesome

seek help

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-28 21:18 by pagodapete.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 28, 2011 23:17

Palace Revolution 2000
I don't get the Winning Ugly hate either...

I do. To me it's almost as bad as Back To Zero, which I don't even consider a song.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home