Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings, Bridgewater Hall, Manchester, Monday 24th October 2011
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 25, 2011 11:34

Hello,

Looking for a feelgood show that'll leave you smiling and singing to yourself? Yeah, I know that Bill Wyman wouldn't be the first name that most of the population would think of but believe me: he and his band are your 'go-to' people!

Bill strolled onstage alone to a great reception and an impromptu and raggedy chorus of 'Happy Birthday': he did admit to turning 75 and said that he never planned it to happen in Manchester of all places..but he added that it could've been worse as the band play Birmingham next, hah-hah!

He spent a couple of minutes outlining the plan for tonight: play a ton of songs from different eras and styles, some of which you'll know but just let yourselves go with it and we'll all have a good time and go home smiling. Well, the man was as good as his word!
He then took pride in introducing his band individually onstage, "...it's like a football team- if they are winning, why change it?", and he's got the likes of Georgie Fame, Albert Lee, Beverley Skeete, Geraint Watkins, Graham Broad, Terry Taylor, Frank Mead and Nick Payn. Not a bad line-up really...

When Bill introduced Beverley, he explained that the original plan was to have a quartet of backing-singers which he would name 'Four Play', but in the event "...f**k all happened with them so that idea went out the window!". His timing is still in evidence! So now that the audience are relaxed let's get under way...

As you'd expect for group of talented musicians like this who have been together for up to 12 years there is a real sense of fun onstage, and certainly Geraint Watkins's (Bill introduced him as Bob Dylan's favourite English pianist: a nice in-joke given that he's as Welsh as...) song introductions are comedy gold all by themselves.

The playing was amazing at times. Albert Lee makes the ridiculous seem like no big deal- top man. After a few songs the sole remaining original 'Supreme', Ms. Mary Wilson bounded onstage just to ramp up the evening even more. Energy? Check.
The guys played about 55 minutes and then took a 20 minute interval before the even more enjoyable second-half.

The choice of songs was pretty-much spot-on in terms of mood and tempo. There was one er, interesting moment when Bill said that the next song was written by someone whom he didn't particularly like but that they always did one of his numbers: "...he has written some great songs but that's all he was good for...". I had no idea that he was going to launch into 'You Never Can Tell'!

The other thing that surprised me was Bill singing 'Honky Tonk Woman' at the end...it sounded good enough and it certainly had everyone up and dancing, but I didn't see that one coming.
Throughout the show you couldn't help but admire the way that he still plays the bass: is there a chance of ever sharing a stage with the other old codgers I wonder?

The band are playing at tons of places and at £30 they are a top night out. 'Nuff said.

(Another photo disclaimer: the venue staff were very anti-camera until near the end so this is the best that I could do...)

Cheers,

Simon.

Re: Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings, Bridgewater Hall, Manchester, Monday 24th October 2011
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 25, 2011 11:40

Thanks Simon. Very nice read. During the past few years I have seen Bill and his band a couple of times. And yes, every time a great evening.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Re: Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings, Bridgewater Hall, Manchester, Monday 24th October 2011
Posted by: Brue ()
Date: October 25, 2011 16:00

Rolling Hansie
Thanks Simon. Very nice read. During the past few years I have seen Bill and his band a couple of times. And yes, every time a great evening.

This must be what it feels like when you're in a country that an artist won't tour in, like New Zealand or some countries in South America or whatever. Except the difference is that I'm in the U.S.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: October 25, 2011 16:58

Sounds like a good evening, Simon! Glad you enjoyed it. Rhythm Kings are always great fun!

Can you send me an email through my website, please?
Ta!

[www.paulinestroosnijder.com]

Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: October 25, 2011 17:11

lovely write-up and pix, thanks

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 25, 2011 17:34

Great stuff. Cheers as always, Simon.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 25, 2011 17:44

cheers simon and thanks, even the bit about Brum.drinking smiley

Posted by: hedgie123 ()
Date: October 25, 2011 19:55

This was a great account of the evening. And wonderful photos considering the time you had to take them!! Thanks. May I quote some of this on my website? (albertleeguitarist.com) also known as albertleefansite? I would be very grateful if you would allow me to use one or two of your photos? Please let me know if this would be possible.

I can be contacted here or through the website.

Thanks again.

Date: October 25, 2011 22:11

Hello,

Thanks for the generous comments: it makes a change to be able to not have to put 'O/T' in the title, hah-hah!

@ Pauline: e-mither sent!
@ Mike: sorry mate but it was Bill's gag about Brum...you seeing The Specials again?
@ hedgie: feel free- Albert played magnificently!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 25, 2011 22:27

Great to see your review and piccys ,Simon.Very nice write up.I will have to make an effort to see him and his Rhythm Kings on their tour.Sure sounds like a good entertaining evening. smileys with beer

Date: October 25, 2011 23:24

Simon , I haven't received anything so far? ?

[www.paulinestroosnijder.com]

Date: October 26, 2011 07:35

Hi Pauline,

Have sent you a message and it seems to be successful...again. If you want to e-mail me, my address is in my details on IORR.

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 26, 2011 09:34

Very nice reading and cool pictures, thank you. Your review makes me wanna see the Rhythm Kings even more :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-26 09:34 by Happy24.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 26, 2011 11:22

Happy24
makes me wanna see the Rhythm Kings even more

You won't be disappointed

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: October 26, 2011 16:23

Quote:

There was one er, interesting moment when Bill said that the next song was written by someone whom he didn't particularly like but that they always did one of his numbers: "...he has written some great songs but that's all he was good for...". I had no idea that he was going to launch into 'You Never Can Tell'!

CB has not been always precisely praised as a person but as musician (in the end everything seems to boil down to music, isn´t it?). CB seems to be a very hard person to get on with....

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 26, 2011 17:17

I think Keith and Charlie in the past have also said a few words about CB being difficult and not a nice person at times.Not uncommon for 'idols' to be not what you thought they would be like. confused smiley

Date: October 26, 2011 17:27

SimonN
Hello,

Thanks for the generous comments: it makes a change to be able to not have to put 'O/T' in the title, hah-hah!

@ Mike: sorry mate but it was Bill's gag about Brum...you seeing The Specials again?

Cheers,

Simon.

No worries about Brum, were used to it now.>grinning smiley<

Will be a last minute regarding the specials, think i will still get tickets.

Good to hear from you.thumbs up

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 26, 2011 19:26

Off the top of my head, I think Bill covered that CB song on an album a long time ago. Odd comment to make. Not in content. A lot of people have said the same thing, more or less, but that he felt compelled to make it at all.

Sounds like an enjoyable evening. I appreciate Bill performing an evening of quality music for the fun of it. Thanks for the post.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 26, 2011 20:16

Maybe Bill is at that age where he no longer gives a shit. Maybe Berry slighted him at some point.

Date: October 26, 2011 20:39

odean73
SimonN
Hello,
Cheers,
Simon.

Hi Mike,

If anything, I'd say that The Coventry Automatics (still minus J.D.) are playing even better this time around...do not miss!
[www.iorr.org]

All the best- hope to see you down the road at a show sometime...must be my shout!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 26, 2011 21:43

SimonN..Good one mate.thumbs up

Date: October 26, 2011 23:29

Date: October 27, 2011 16:52

SimonN
odean73
SimonN
Hello,
Cheers,
Simon.

Hi Mike,

If anything, I'd say that The Coventry Automatics (still minus J.D.) are playing even better this time around...do not miss!
[www.iorr.org]

All the best- hope to see you down the road at a show sometime...must be my shout!

Cheers,

Simon.

Realising that i will be in manchester this weekend.

Yes i like to meet up again,and fingers crossed its for a stones one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home