Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Track Talk: It Must Be Hell
Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: October 27, 2011 16:08

i always liked the song a lot....and i appreciate and even love the album "undercover" as such even more - as somebody already mentioned, the last album where the stones sound innovative, modern and dangerous....

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: October 27, 2011 16:11

drewmaster
I can’t believe some of y’all don’t appreciate the wondrous glory of this track. Ladies and gentlemen, this is 5 minutes and 5 seconds of pure sonic bliss, showcasing the Stones’ majesty and genius. If you want to know what it feels like to be truly alive, to suck the marrow from life, then smoke a fattie, crank the stereo to 11, get your air guitar out, and hit the play button. Shout and scream along with this one till you’re hoarse. If that doesn’t release your inner demons – all the anger and pain and fury inside – then, well, ain’t nothing gonna help ya.

It starts out so simply and elegantly. Keith’s riff, man, holy shit; right from the outset, it just tears a hole in the universe with its relentless, pounding fury. And then Charlie chimes in with a machine-gun volley that’s so funky it should be illegal; you just gotta get up off yer ass and dance. Bill enters, stage left, with a magnificently swampy blues line. Dig Keith’s bluesy moan (it is Keith, isn’t it?), eerily setting the stage for the satanic blues-fest to come. And then Mick starts yowling his tale of woe, exorcising the demons, with brutal lyrics that pull no punches at all, his words just snaking beautifully through Keith’s guitar licks, as only he can do … pure Glimmer Twins alchemy. And Ronnie’s scorching solo, meshing perfectly with Keith’s relentless riff; notice how Keith’s riff sounds a little different, a little more intense, after Ronnie exits.

But wait, this one then gets even better, as everything starts to gel and it starts to go into overdrive. Those maracas in the next guitar break, underscoring that incredibly funky groove. And Bill’s bass, continuing to hold it all down so perfectly but now coming more to the foreground for added effect. Another guitar (or two) becomes noticeable, wailing for attention, and then that haunting repeated note on the piano, all just further adding to the sonic ecstasy that by this point is so intense that it’s almost unbearable. (There’s a particularly wonderful moment at 3:20, when Keith does this rude little descending two-note combination-lick that just makes me glad to be alive).

The SOUND of this track is just so phenomenal; an open-G fest if there ever was one. I could listen to this riff all day every day and never get bored. And that propulsive, strutting groove, showing the world how it’s done, reminding us that, rhythmically, no one has ever or will ever be able to touch the Stones.

This is DEVIL’s music, son; rock and roll of the purest and finest grade, mainlining right to the jugular; the louder you play this one, the better it gets. I love Soul Survivor, its cousin, but this one is even more amazing. It’s probably the most shamefully under-rated track from what may be the Stones’ most shamefully under-rated album. Having coming off the stellar success of Tattoo You, they were still floating, still on top of the world when they recorded this one, and the confidence, the fvck-you-we’re-the-fukkin-Rolling-Stones-so-go-fvck-yerself bravado, is truly breathtaking.

Drew

Spot onthumbs up

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 22, 2015 12:40

One of their worst songs. I forgot how bad it was until I listened to it again just now. Nothing more to say really. I apologize for even posting this since it was a waste of time for anyone to think about this song.

Date: September 22, 2015 12:55

There are a lot of good things going on in this track, imo. I can see the HTW/SS-nods, of course, but I've always liked it for some reason. Both Keith and Ronnie play really great here.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 22, 2015 18:11

Yeah, drewmaster pretty much summed it up. I don't even know, or care, what Mick's saying in the verses but about halfway through it's just kickass awesome. Not often that I'd pick a song over a pretty similar one from Exile, but I love it, from my favorite Wood era album(TY is kind of a cheat).

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 22, 2015 18:18

It Must Be Hell is a great song, wild and punchy. The guitars are awesome and so is the singing. Everything´s perfect. What a great track, I love it. How can someone not love it or at least like it. Would it have been on Exile everybody would go crazy for this. In fact, this sounds like recorded a month after Exile. This is the dark and dangerous side of the Stones, which I love the most. Perfect song on an (almost) perfect album.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 22, 2015 18:34

Pretty decent Stones tune in the Keith's got a new riff vein. It doesn't knock my socks off but it's better than Start Me Up by a long shot, imo. Probably could be consider a "Stones by numbers" tune, but it isn't a bad thing in this case. Really like the vocals in the chorus and the bridge. Good straight ahead rock and roll. thumbs up

Date: September 22, 2015 18:36

On which song was this riff the best: It Must Be Hell, Soul Survivor or Rock And A Hard Place? winking smiley

Date: September 22, 2015 18:51

DandelionPowderman
On which song was this riff the best: It Must Be Hell, Soul Survivor or Rock And A Hard Place? winking smiley

LOl. Indeed some recycling going on there, I had forgotten this riff had originally appeared in Soul Survivor. I'm going to say that SS was it's best showing mostly because there are other elements in that song that don't require the riff to hold up the tune like the other two. The worst showing is in Rock and a Hard Place, imo, just because the way that song is produced.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 22, 2015 18:53

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

LOl. Indeed some recycling going on there, I had forgotten this riff had originally appeared in Soul Survivor. I'm going to say that SS was it's best showing mostly because there are other elements in that song that don't require the riff to hold up the tune like the other two. The worst showing is in Rock and a Hard Place, imo, just because the way that song is produced.

Definitely Soul Survivor. My god I need more coffee now that this song has reared its head again. I'm still recovering from listening to it 8 hours ago.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 22, 2015 19:04

The familiar riff is the tune's only saving grace.

Date: September 22, 2015 19:08

Hairball

Oh, no. The slide solo is brilliant!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 22, 2015 19:20

DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Haha maybe so...
I remember really liking this song when it first came out.
Listening right now for the first time in possibly decades (?)lol, not too bad at all.
Lyrics are a bit cheesy overall though...

'Some kids can't write
Some kids can't read
Some kids are hungry
Some overeat...'

Will probably listen to it again - sometime in the distant future.
cool smiley

Date: September 22, 2015 19:20

DandelionPowderman
Hairball

I agree. The harmony/unison vocal approach to the chorus is also very good and kind of defines that great Stones feel on so much of their best work. Not enough going on in the verses to truly make the song fantastic.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 22, 2015 19:35

Bill Wyman.

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: March 23, 2017 02:35

The Martonin & Guesdon 'All The Songs' book, sugests Mick is targeting an East European regime still in the communist block back in 1983. I've always thought he was refering to an American country - could it be the USA perhaps. The Stones (or Jagger's) focus in the late 70s and early eighties was very much on Central and North America. The narrative of the song does seem very pointed to a particular regime. To which one is he refering...?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-23 02:39 by MrTurner.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 23, 2017 03:43

Great, catchy song from the last real Stones album.
I enjoyed Undercover more than most, it had a great vibe to it.
I always interpreted this song to be about the hells we create, sometimes in our own minds. I kinda hear the Zen/Buddhist/Christian exhortation to wake up and see that this can be heaven if we let it.
Anyway, Mick has always enjoyed his life no matter what shit goes on. One of the things the Stones are about.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 23, 2017 06:17

I have always loved this song - one of their best and certainly THE best on this album.

Drewmaster - you appraisal of this epic is spot on.

Rod

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: March 23, 2017 07:30

I like the song

I love the undercover album

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Date: March 23, 2017 08:11

I rate Undercover album pretty high; maybe even higher if it wasn't for this song. I remember WAY back, the first thing I noticed was the re-used riff. But it is not what bugs me about it. The verses move along fine; the hypnotic guitar bu Keith, real low key is great. It is the forced feel of the chorus; especially, especially those damn congas that come in. They make no sense in this song, and feel like a forced attempt to infuse some rave=up feel into this number; trying to go out on big note.

I read that in the book too - while a good book there are times when the writers go a bit overboard on their lyric interpretations.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: March 23, 2017 08:18

I like it

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 23, 2017 09:47

Never could get behind the lyrics nor the rehashed Soul Survivor riff.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 23, 2017 10:37

DandelionPowderman

Black Or White

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 23, 2017 11:38

weak self-parody, there are many far better tracks on Undercover

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-23 11:40 by 1962.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 23, 2017 11:40

It's one of the low-points of Undercover, together with Wanna Hold You, Too Tight and All The Way Down. Which is such a pity because the rest of the album is really very good, especially Tie You Up and Feel On Baby.
I can see how people might like "Must Be Hell", because yeah, that thundering Soul Survivor riff is cool, and the Honky Tonk Women chorus hiccups too. But then, luckily, those two songs are still available, so why listen to Must Be Hell? More than anything, it shows the Stones had started occasionally to give up trying. "Oh well, it ain't that bad, let's put it on the album".

To answer Dandelion's question, the riff works the best on Soul Survivor because it works as a climax there, it gives the song speed and dynamics and most importantly, it swings.
I sort of like it on Rock and A Hard Place, because it has a completely different feel there, it actually works nicely as a built-up before and as a climax after the bridge.
On Must Be Hell it's just a very static pattern that adds nothing.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 23, 2017 12:58

It Must Be Hell is one the most brilliant songs on Undercover, certainly the best song on the b-side. Very underrated unfortunately. If they´d come up with a song like that these days, we would be delighted. Great latter-day Stones-song, it´s rocking, it´s groovy, the riff is superb, no reasons for complaints. I love the Stones for writing songs like It Must Be Hell. It´s damn good and I wish they´d do it live but chances are very slim. Most other bands would be lucky to have such a great song in their library, imo it´s not "mediocre-SBNs", it´s true Stones-greatness.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 23, 2017 15:15

IMBH should have been replaced by Think I'm Going Mad, would have been a much better album closer.

Date: March 23, 2017 15:23

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman

Black Or White

If that counts, I'd say Whatever You Want smiling smiley

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 23, 2017 16:01

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman

Black Or White

At least Michael's boys were inspired by the riff mentioned above.

Date: March 23, 2017 16:39

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman

Black Or White

At least Michael's boys were inspired by the riff mentioned above.

I'm not sure if Slash and Michael were that into Soul Survivor.

Rick was more likely to be influenced by the Stones.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2120
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home