Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Where is the PUNK-movement these days? We need them more then ever!
Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: October 12, 2011 20:56

IMO a revival of 1963-64 or 1976-1979 in music-terms is very necessary...

Where are those mean young bastards in leather jackets with their sharp pointed boots, their secondhand 4 string guitars, bass and drums, while smashing their rented amps, and give everybody the f*ck you look?

Come on boys, we need you, totally fed up as we are of Rap and Dance-music, stupid shows like "X-factor", "America Got Talent", lousy reality-shows, and people who live for Facebook and Twitter.

Do blow the dust of this dull decades away, you youngsters. And also do give Mick and Keith some new inspiration, for a New Punk-Attitude Album, with new songs in the style of Not Fade Away, Carol, When The Whip Comes Down, Shattered and Respectable....

Re: Where is the PUNK-movement these days? We need them more then ever!
Date: October 12, 2011 21:09

Are we all fed up with PUNK-attitudes, and am I the only one who is fed up with these days (concerning music)?

Well, I might start my own band thencool smiley

Just looking for a drummer, bass-player and some company to rent the amps...

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 12, 2011 21:14

I don't know but looking at people just a little younger than me, people who are in their 20s, I'd say the "punk spirit" can nowadays be found in hardcore techno.

As a musician, you don't need much gear and you don't need much skill to blast with attention grabbing effect in that musical style.

The punk spirit has left rock music behind, or rather, the music business has Nickelback-ified it. There was a time during the early 00s when anything and everything was supposedly originating from punk, but that was just cashing in on the glory. Even "A Bigger Bang" had its punk moments like "Look What the Cat Dragged In".

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 12, 2011 21:16

keefbajaga
Are we all fed up with PUNK-attitudes, and am I the only one who is fed up with these days (concerning music)?

Bill Wyman has a good amp.

Date: October 12, 2011 21:24

MKjan
keefbajaga

Bill Wyman has a good amp.

Not a bad suggestion. And Bill knows how to handle the groupies

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 12, 2011 22:13

keefbajaga.."Its their Duty" if anyone can the Punks can just going by their previous form..the affect the Punk movement would have on todays sort of music would be instead similar to a can of Flyspray The Rise of The Punks (Part 3)..smoking smiley

Date: October 12, 2011 22:33

colonial
keefbajaga.."Its their Duty" if anyone can the Punks can just going by their previous form..the affect the Punk movement would have on todays sort of music would be instead similar to a can of Flyspray The Rise of The Punks (Part 3)..smoking smiley

dear colonial, most of the times I do admire your clearly well said posts, but now you are talking 'mystery'....cool smiley

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 13, 2011 00:11

keefbajaga
colonial

dear colonial, most of the times I do admire your clearly well said posts, but now you are talking 'mystery'....cool smiley
Looking at the tourists faces down the Kings Rd in Chelsea the Punks were always a mystery to them

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 13, 2011 01:43

PUNK is just another saleable retro sound like DISCO or Amy Winehouse's short career. Let the past be the past. The question is, why don't things change anymore? Where is the NEW? Dumbasses in the States have been wearing their pants low and the top of the underwear showing since the early 90s. Same with the supposedly hipster Hollywood look of Buddy Holly glasses for guys, and harlequin glasses for girls. There is nothing more conformist than a Hollywood Hipster.

We revel in these Stones reworked songs, because they were from a good time and sound. But we wouldn't want a new Stones album to sound that way. I'm looking to the far past (1920s jazz and 30s swing) and African and South American music. Punk won't fix what's wrong with American and U.K. music. Something new must happen. It's like the 60s used up all the youth music genius for the next 100 years.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 13, 2011 02:05

They are occupying Wall Street and other American cities.

Date: October 13, 2011 09:37

24FPS
PUNK is just another saleable retro sound like DISCO or Amy Winehouse's short career. Let the past be the past. The question is, why don't things change anymore? Where is the NEW? Dumbasses in the States have been wearing their pants low and the top of the underwear showing since the early 90s. Same with the supposedly hipster Hollywood look of Buddy Holly glasses for guys, and harlequin glasses for girls. There is nothing more conformist than a Hollywood Hipster.

We revel in these Stones reworked songs, because they were from a good time and sound. But we wouldn't want a new Stones album to sound that way. I'm looking to the far past (1920s jazz and 30s swing) and African and South American music. Punk won't fix what's wrong with American and U.K. music. Something new must happen. It's like the 60s used up all the youth music genius for the next 100 years.

Why don't things change anymore? Good question. And/or why are these times so boring? (concerning music)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 13, 2011 10:50

Tilly & The Wall - Kaiser Chiefs - The Hold Steady here it is...The Punk movement these days...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: October 13, 2011 13:06

If you are talking about Punk in the lame-o fashionable sense like Fall Out Boys in designer ripped T shirts, or that girl April Lavene (or something) in Pro Keds then I say "Stay as far away as possible". But I suspect you are talking about the true rebel spirit, that is needed to overthrow complacency and levees, then I say it is alive and well. All one has to do is put a little bit of effort into the search. That is the whole idea of the spirit: that it is off the beaten path.

There are plenty of San Francisco acts, small UK bands that are bubbling underneath. And in this thread alone I';ve seen it said "they are occupying in the streets against Wall St" or "they are alive in techno (or Bass &Drums)"; two great statements.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 13, 2011 13:10

It's internets fault, the new structures in society where BOTH mummy and daddy MUST accomplish extraordinary stuff except for bringing up a steady and loving family. I wouldn't give a shit if my bitch would go off working so I could sit home, playing with our kids and listening to Stones. That'd be great. But media has @#$%& up approximately 70 % of the popularity in the western world.

You Gotta have this, buy that and blah blah blah.

I got six (6!!!) cellarphones at home and NONE of 'em is working properly!!! But my father's brickstone from the early 90's is still in use in our summer house. Do I need to say no more?!?!?!!?!

Ridiculous. I got more in common with me dad who is born in '46 than someone born in the 70's.

I don't wanna slag off anyone born in the 70's but at least here in Sweden they tend to be really concerned with what other people think about them (in terms of material achievements). Pathetic. In order to get a new movement,people will have to feel they MUST go to the gigsin order to understand what happened, not just sittin' on their lazy a&%es and watching it on youtube the day after. That's your solution. The MYSTERY IS GONE.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 13, 2011 13:21

I got six (6!!!) cellarphones at home and NONE of 'em is working

......... Geez Max that sounds like a line that could be hooked inta
Get Offa My Cloud .... But But on a serious note ya should dice those
phones and get yaself a couple of carrier pidgeons ... They'll move the message for ya
....don't $$cost much ta feed ... and sound pretty funky coooin' in the cage when they get back home .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 13, 2011 13:22

Guitar bands are out of fashion again at the moment.
It goes in cycles ;^)

Music gets all technological for a while [as in the 80s] .
Folks eventually get fed up with all the insipid, sterile garbage which ensues and, eventually, the snotty kids with Telecasters rise again

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 13, 2011 14:00

Again you are spot on Rockman!!

Respect!!!smileys with beer

Posted by: Back Of My Palm ()
Date: October 13, 2011 14:34

A lot o'em would be here.. [www.sinnersday.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 13, 2011 14:51

...hey yeah not a problem Max ...you know I'm a helpful kinda guy...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 13, 2011 15:00

keefbajaga

Why don't things change anymore? Good question. And/or why are these times so boring? (concerning music)

Things continually change and the times are no more boring than any time before.

It is you who is stuck and can't appreciate the changes taking place, it is you that is boring and can't appreciate the latest evolutions of music and the forms in which it manifests.

There is always a vast amount of fresh creativity taking place all over the world. As has always been the case elements of this trickle on to charts, but the real forward moving melting pots are in the bedrooms, back rooms, basements, local clubs etc etc.

cool smiley

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 13, 2011 18:01

SOCIAL DISTORTION

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 13, 2011 19:54

keefbajaga

In the UK at any rate, they are all trying to be stand-up comedians instead of rock stars these days. Comedy is the new rock'n'roll.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 13, 2011 20:07

I'm not stuck at all, but I'm not waiting for Rock and Roll to miraculously revive. I remember a friend of my mother's in the 1970s telling us that Big Band music was coming back. Below is a recent home made compilation. The only real rock on it is Scott Pilgrim from the mid 90s, and of course the Stones, with a re-worked cut. I accept the multi-culturalism of modern music. It's gone world wide and there's plenty out there to discover and enjoy. Punk already stood rock up straight again when Nirvana blended punk and pop. Then Kurt blew his brains out and it's been pretty quiet since.

1) The Long Road – Eddie Vedder w/Nusrat Fatheh Ali Khan
2) Ich Weiß Warum - 2raumwohnung (Germany)
3) S&M – Rihanna
4) Nogo – Issa Bagayogo (Mali)
5) Kulanjan – Taj Mahal & Toumani Diabate
6) Scott Pilgrim – Plumtree
7) The Last Thing On My Mind – Mary Travers (1965)
8) Fidel Castro – The Skatalites (Jamaica -1963)
9) Love the Way You Lie – Eminem featuring Rihanna
10) Right On – The Roots w/Joanna Newsome & STS
11) Blue Drag - The New Orleans Jazz Vipers
12) Ghetto Supastar – Pras Michael/ODB & Maya
13) Las Calles de Medellin – Coffee Makers (Columbia)
14) Biznezz – Tune-Yards
15) Man From Mars – Artie Shaw (1938)
16) Pass the Wine (Sophia Loren) – The Rolling Stones
17) Los Peces (Mexico) – Lhasa de Sela (Mexico)
18) Love Is A Losing Game – Amy Winehouse

Date: October 13, 2011 21:17

Turbonegro and the flying crap is the best punk there is nowadays. check them out on you tube. And Turbonegro is soon out on a europe tour with a new frontman. Hank von hell got lostsmoking smiley

Date: October 13, 2011 21:21

Bostonstranglerno9
Turbonegro and the flying crap is the best punk there is nowadays. check them out on you tube. And Turbonegro is soon out on a europe tour with a new frontman. Hank von hell got lostsmoking smiley

Those guys are really somethin'else indeed!

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: October 13, 2011 22:28

MadMax
It's internets fault, the new structures in society where BOTH mummy and daddy MUST accomplish extraordinary stuff except for bringing up a steady and loving family. I wouldn't give a shit if my bitch would go off working so I could sit home, playing with our kids and listening to Stones. That'd be great. But media has @#$%& up approximately 70 % of the popularity in the western world.

You Gotta have this, buy that and blah blah blah.

Ridiculous. I got more in common with me dad who is born in '46 than someone born in the 70's.

I don't wanna slag off anyone born in the 70's but at least here in Sweden they tend to be really concerned with what other people think about them (in terms of material achievements). Pathetic.
AMEN BROTHER!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home