Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT Woody Allen
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 12, 2011 03:48

I also respect Woody's ability to attract some of the
most talented actors out there... like scarlett and Hugh

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-12 04:56 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 12, 2011 04:59

The problem I have with most of more recent films is a tendency for the actors to act like they're in a woody allen film......
The frenetic delivery, neurotic mannerisms.....its self-conscious and forced to me and it ruins it for me.
From what I know from reading about him as a director, he never tells an actor what to do. He just trust them to do their thing and so it seems like the newer stable of actors just watch old Woody movies: the ingenues mimic Hemingway, Farrow or Keaton, Judy Davis etc....the male actors try to be Woody......whereas, that earlier stable of actors, including perfect straight man, Tony Roberts, were just being their own quirky selves - they created those personas.

It grates. I did love Penelope Cruz in Vicky Chistina Barcelona, the only current Woody actor to do their own thing.
I also loved Matchpoint, one of his very best.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-12 05:07 by stupidguy2.

Date: October 12, 2011 05:42

Not my quote, but I found it rather poignant in regard to Mr. Allen:

"It confuses to no end why so many liberals love this child molesting creep pedophile. Sure he's good at making funny movies celebrating moral decay. But if he espoused rightest ideology, they would skewer him over child incest/rape. And if he wasn't a Hollywood elitist, but a poor black man, he'd probably be sitting in jail for his crimes... "

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 12, 2011 05:43

Big fan here.

I think Hannah and Her Sisters might be my all time favorite.
RM, I like Crimes and Misdemeanors a lot too. :-)

Of the work in the last several years, I like Vicky Cristina Barcelona best, especially the first part, and Midnight
in Paris
is fun.

Date: October 12, 2011 06:03

HE's a perv, pedophile......shall i go on.....

Date: October 12, 2011 06:13

And then there's always this beauty from Mr. Allen's OWN son:

Allen and Farrow's biological son, Ronan Seamus Farrow, said of Allen: "He's my father married to my sister. That makes me his son and his brother-in-law. That is such a moral transgression. I cannot see him. I cannot have a relationship with my father and be morally consistent... I lived with all these adopted children, so they are my family. To say Soon-Yi was not my sister is an insult to all adopted children."

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 12, 2011 06:24

angee
Big fan here.

I think Hannah and Her Sisters might be my all time favorite.
RM, I like Crimes and Misdemeanors a lot too. :-)

Of the work in the last several years, I like Vicky Cristina Barcelona best, especially the first part, and Midnight
in Paris
is fun.

If I had to pick one, Hannah and Her Sister is my favorite also, the least cynical, most happy ending-ish.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 12, 2011 08:12

LoveJuiceStartsToFlow
And then there's always this beauty from Mr. Allen's OWN son:

Allen and Farrow's biological son, Ronan Seamus Farrow, said of Allen: "He's my father married to my sister. That makes me his son and his brother-in-law. That is such a moral transgression. I cannot see him. I cannot have a relationship with my father and be morally consistent... I lived with all these adopted children, so they are my family. To say Soon-Yi was not my sister is an insult to all adopted children."

I thought he named his son "Satchel" (after Satchel Paige). Sounds like a lot of years of Mia Farrow indoctrination to me. He'll get over it.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 12, 2011 09:39

Funny bloke...

2 1 2 0

Date: October 12, 2011 13:18

TIP- I decided I needed to play catch-up on Woody Allen movies, and maybe do some renting/buying... but... As one might expect (if one has a search feature on one's TV service, do a search) when I searched "Woody Allen" it is stunning the number of his movies coming up soon.

Anyway if one has cable/sat service, try doing a name search and watch a bunch of his films for "free". His movies dont get a lot of the the typical Hollywood hype.... heck, I have not heard any for years... so it will be interesting to see what he has been up too.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: October 12, 2011 14:09

Don't forget his early stand up

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: October 12, 2011 14:16

Broadway Danny Rose-his best film ever!!

Date: October 12, 2011 14:20

still ill

whoa.... cutting edge punch line.... great stuff.

still ill

TOO FUNNY!!!
@2:53 Woody says (something like)
"I needed the money, to do my writing, I was working
on a non-fiction version of the Warren report"... hilarious

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-12 14:39 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 12, 2011 14:39

Max'sKansasCity
still ill

TOO FUNNY!!!
@2:53 Woody says (something like)
"I needed the money, to do my writing, I was working
on a non-fiction version of the Warren report"... hilarious

grinning smiley

My dad had a vinyl double LP called The Nightclub Years 1964-1968 which was my first introduction to Woody, before i saw the films, so i always think of his stand up first.

The album is streaming here if anyone fancies hearing a master at work

[www.archive.org]

As far as the films go, i like the silly early stuff, so Take the Money and Run, Sleeper and Bananas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-12 14:40 by still ill.

Date: October 12, 2011 14:43

still ill
My dad had a vinyl double LP called The Nightclub Years 1964-1968 which was my first introduction to Woody, before i saw the films, so i always think of his stand up first.

[www.archive.org]

Thank you for the insight, exactly the type of input which I was hoping for in this threead

Date: October 12, 2011 14:54

Max'sKansasCity
still ill

[www.archive.org]

Thank you for the insight, exactly the type of input which I was hoping for in this threead

Just listening to it myself for the first time in forever, it really is very funny. Give it a listen, you can't go wrong.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 12, 2011 15:26

I hate forums like this because I get to thinking 'I must fill the Woody allen hole in my film collection' and I can't spend the money.

I have Annie Hall but also Love And Death which is my favourite (although I love Bananas, Zelig and Sleeper).

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: October 12, 2011 18:17

SwayStones
I saw Midnight in Paris a few weeks ago.
It should have been dedicated to CCM, The "Paris" lover.

I liked it but the movie lacks from deepness .
The main actor just plays as a pale imitator of Woody Allen himself.

That happens on almost every movie he made in the last years, Scarlett Johannson doing a Woody Allen on Scoop was a bit cringe-worthy. My favorite movie is probably the underrated Sweet And Lowdown, and then Annie Hall and Small Time Crooks.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: October 12, 2011 19:16

I'm really fond of Manhattan, Annie Hall and Bullets Over Broadway.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 12, 2011 19:21

Title5Take1
I saw Woody Allen play his clarinet live at Michael's Pub—with a full band—a few years ago in Manhattan. He plays there every Monday night and has for decades. Despite the fact that he's played there for years, he still looked shy and self-conscious up there.

Gads! I did too, same place, way back in the '80's when I happened to be in NYC. In '99 we took an east coast trip part of which we followed Taylor around from NYC to Virginia. But while in NYC we saw Woody sitting in a tall director's chair on the sidewalk talking to someone. He was shooting a movie, but not at that moment.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 12, 2011 20:52

I used to live on 71st St and West End Ave in NYC and would regularly go to Cafe Luxembourg to eat at the zinc bar. One night I'm sitting there with my steak frites and look over at the entrance and there was Mr. Woody Allen, waiting for Soon Yi so they could leave.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 13, 2011 19:27

Max'sKansasCity
yaaa smiling smiley...
What is your Woody favorite movie?

MANHATTAN /ANNIE HALL

Have you seen this one?

Which movie are you talking about ? His latest one ?

Did you happen to see this Europe tour?

NO but back on the early 90's I was in NYC and he used to play his clarinet on Thursdays

Date: October 13, 2011 19:32

Have you seen this one?

Which movie are you talking about ? His latest one ?

No I was asking about Wild man Blues... btw- it was on Starz channel (again) so I watched it again, it gave me quite a few (more) chuckles.... esp the ending... "the breakfast from hell" there many many funny aspects about that breakfast, with his parents.

Did you happen to see this Europe tour?

NO but back on the early 90's I was in NYC and he used to play his clarinet on Thursdays

Did you see him play here?

Does he still play his weekly gig somewhere? He says in the doc that he has to practice everyday to keep his lips/lungs in shape, so I am betting he still likes to play out somewhere.... it would really be a cool thing to see... plus I have always loved the sounds of New Orleans... it sounds like a party.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-13 19:35 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: October 13, 2011 21:30

I saw his new film midnight in Paris
It was pretty good, Owen Wilson did a great job in woody's shoes.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 13, 2011 22:06

I'm a fan of Woody Allen's movies, allthough I've been disappointed a couple of times, especially with his newer movies. Hope I didn't miss out to much by not getting a chance to see Midnight In Paris, before it was taken off the cinema

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-13 22:10 by Erik_Snow.

Date: October 13, 2011 23:19

still ill
grinning smiley

[www.archive.org]

Man, I was/am somewhat amazed how quick, easy and simple that works. Sometimes websites like that want(require) you to download this, setup that or register... but that is just push play and viaola Woody 1964-68.... Great tip, great website, great stuff. thanks

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: October 14, 2011 05:23

stupidguy2
The problem I have with most of more recent films is a tendency for the actors to act like they're in a woody allen film......
The frenetic delivery, neurotic mannerisms.....its self-conscious and forced to me and it ruins it for me.
From what I know from reading about him as a director, he never tells an actor what to do. He just trust them to do their thing and so it seems like the newer stable of actors just watch old Woody movies: the ingenues mimic Hemingway, Farrow or Keaton, Judy Davis etc....the male actors try to be Woody......whereas, that earlier stable of actors, including perfect straight man, Tony Roberts, were just being their own quirky selves - they created those personas.

It grates. I did love Penelope Cruz in Vicky Chistina Barcelona, the only current Woody actor to do their own thing.
I also loved Matchpoint, one of his very best.

LoveJuiceStartsToFlow
Not my quote, but I found it rather poignant in regard to Mr. Allen:

"It confuses to no end why so many liberals love this child molesting creep pedophile. Sure he's good at making funny movies celebrating moral decay. But if he espoused rightest ideology, they would skewer him over child incest/rape. And if he wasn't a Hollywood elitist, but a poor black man, he'd probably be sitting in jail for his crimes... "

Strangely resonant points hitting it on the head. I think I know what they mean here.

Date: October 14, 2011 05:53

i just watch the movies.i don't pass judgment on his morality.. i think thats silly.

as far as movies i just love woody allen movies.. of his last ones match point, vicky and midnight in paris are the best of the bunch..

annie hall and manhattan are his two perfect movies.. hannah and crimes are great..

bananas and sleeper are a hoot. broadway is very good

there are so many great woody allen movies..

the one with kenneth branagh is so weak... talk about an actor tryin to act like woody and failin.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: October 14, 2011 11:48

I've been a big Woody Allen fan all through the 80s. But at some point after "Crimes and Misdemeanors" Allen lost the plot somehow. For most of the 90s and after he's been content to create ever new combinations of the same old topics and Woody Allen stereotypes. I mean, there are notable exceptions like "Wild Man Blues", but most of his later work like, say "The Curse of The Jade Scorpion", has turned out quite pale and ridiculous, like the work of some toothless old storyteller who's lost his grip.

Lately there have been some nice surprises, though. "Matchpoint" was a more than solid attempt to create a Patricia Highsmith thriller, and "Vicki Christina Barcelona" was very much fun, turning deliberate superficiality into strength. I admired that he always stuck to the "tourist"-perspective here, thus making all the clichés within that movie work for him. But his latest one "Midnight in Paris" is really the nadir of his career to me. The jokes are stale, the characters are (more than) shallow and the actors are grimacing tin soldiers. If this script should mirror the typical american perception of Europe in any way, I'd feel sorry for the Americans.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-14 15:01 by Greenblues.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 14, 2011 16:01

cookwazzahoe
Broadway Danny Rose-his best film ever!!

Agreed.

Celebrity is an overlooked and underrated film with some great moments, starring Kenneth Branagh as the Woody surrogate... and he plays it to the hilt.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2157
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home