Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: This Day in Rock 'n' Roll History...
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 9, 2011 03:16

Today would of been John Lennon's 71st Birthday 9.10.2011

Its also Sean Lennon's Birthday today he was born on 9.10.1975

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-07 10:20 by bv.

Re: This Day in Rock'n'Roll History (Thread)
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 9, 2011 03:59

Re: This Day in Rock'n'Roll History (Thread)
Date: October 9, 2011 04:08

Edith Grove
John Lennon a "Charismatic Genius"

Re: This Day in Rock 'n' Roll History (Thread)
Posted by: Brue ()
Date: October 9, 2011 04:51

He reminds me of my older brother who went to MIT. His lack of patience manifest itself in a lot of ways. Had the same type of biting sense of humor.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 9, 2011 05:59

Probably more than any person who's ever lived, his art made people who never laid eyes on him feel as if they knew him all their lives. When he died, it was like losing an older brother, or a favorite uncle, wasn't it? It's like that Byrds song about Kennedy.

He never knew my name
Though I never met him
I knew him just the same
He was a friend of mine

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-09 06:10 by tatters.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 9, 2011 07:19

Brue
He reminds me of my older brother who went to MIT. His lack of patience manifest itself in a lot of ways. Had the same type of biting sense of humor.

Yeah, we all think of your older brother when we think of John.

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: October 9, 2011 08:13

loog droog
Brue

Oh Please. Why the need to act like this about celebs. It always amazes me.

Lennon was an loud mouth idiot with way to much time on his hands. Why the need to build him up to be something he wasn't.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 9, 2011 19:15

Paul got married today. JL's birthday.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: October 9, 2011 19:37

It's also John Entwistle's birthday.

Date: October 9, 2011 22:01

9.10.2011 is also a big day for "thewatchman" he has 7 Threads on page 1.That would have to be an IORR record smileys with beer

Date: October 11, 2011 21:46

The Rolling Stones were formed 49 years and 3 months ago today 12.10.2011

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 11, 2011 22:06

colonial
9.10.2011 is also a big day for "thewatchman" he has 7 Threads on page 1.That would have to be an IORR record smileys with beer

I'm sure one that couldn't possibly ever be broken!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 11, 2011 22:30

brianwalker
loog droog
Brue

Oh Please. Why the need to act like this about celebs. It always amazes me.

Lennon was an loud mouth idiot with way to much time on his hands. Why the need to build him up to be something he wasn't.

that old clip of him playing with chuck berry on the mike douglas show is friggin priceless.they're jamming away and this maniac has his crazy wife making all these weird noises in the background.

i think she was banging on some bongo drums and just wailing away.eeeeeeee aaaaaaaaaaa-lmfao, damn its so funny but sad at the same time.this reminds me i gotta go on you tube and find that thing..

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: October 12, 2011 02:16

October 11

1969 - Muddy Waters was seriously injured, and 3 others were killed, in a car crash in Illinois

1963 - Edith Piaf died in Grasse, France. 40,000 mourners later attended her funeral

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 12, 2011 05:32

peter wilson
October 11

1963 - Edith Piaf died in Grasse, France. 40,000 mourners later attended her funeral

...and not one rocker in the whole bunch.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 12, 2011 12:28

Oct 12, 1991 – Nirvana’s album, “Nevermind” hits No. 1 on the Chart Toppers Album chart, going gold. The same day, Nirvana plays “Saturday Night Live.”

Oct 12, 1492 Christopher Columbus' expedition makes landfall in the Caribbean and lands on Guanahani, but believes he has reached the East Indies. [I know, this one's a) politically doubtful and b) I am still trying to detect Columbus' relation to Rock & Roll.]

Love, Peace and Happiness

Date: October 12, 2011 13:04

Today in Music History - Oct. 12
The Canadian Press
Wed, 12 Oct 2011 00:15:00 CST Share |

Today is October 12th:

In 1609, "Three Blind Mice," believed to be the earliest printed secular song, was published in London.

In 1880, Healey Willan, one of Canada's most influential composers and music educators, was born in Balham, England.

In 1930, the Montreal Orchestra, the city's first professional symphony, gave its first concert at the Orpheum Theatre. The musicians were reported to have been paid $4 each. The conductor, Douglas Clarke, worked without pay throughout the 11-year history of the orchestra.

In 1935, opera singer Luciano Pavarotti was born in Modena, Italy. His vibrant high C's and ebullient showmanship made him one of the world's most beloved tenors. He died Sept. 6, 2007 of pancreatic cancer.

In 1957, following a concert in Sydney, Australia, Little Richard announced he was quitting rock 'n' roll for religion. He entered a religious college in Alabama and was ordained as a minister in the Seventh Day Adventist Church. Little Richard would return to rock in 1964.

In 1962, Little Richard played a gig in Liverpool, with a then-unknown local band called "The Beatles" opening for him.

In 1965, George Harrison introduced the sitar to pop music fans, playing it on John Lennon's "Norwegian Wood" at a session at Abbey Road studios in London. The song would appear on "The Beatles" "Rubber Soul" album. Harrison took up the sitar following a meeting at his home with master Indian musician Ravi Shankar.

In 1970, the "Jesus Christ Superstar" album was released in North America. A year later, the album was turned into a full-scale musical which opened on Broadway. "Jesus Christ Superstar," with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Tim Rice, is based on the gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke.

In 1971, Gene Vincent, who recorded the rock 'n' roll classic "Be-Bop-A-Lula" with his band, "The Bluecaps," in 1957, died in Los Angeles of a seizure brought on by a bleeding ulcer. He was 36. Vincent was signed by Capitol Records as an answer to RCA Victor's Elvis Presley, and they rushed "Be-Bop-A-Lula" into the shops two weeks after it was recorded. The disc eventually sold more than nine-million copies, and was followed by a second million-seller, "Lotta Lovin'." One of his last appearances was at the Toronto Rock Festival in 1970.

In 1975, Rod Stewart and "The Faces" played their last show together at a concert on Long Island, N.Y.

In 1978, former "Sex Pistols" bass guitarist Sid Vicious murdered his girlfriend, Nancy Spungen, at the Chelsea Hotel in New York. Vicious, whose real name was John Simon Ritchie, died of a heroin overdose before he could be tried. The couple's story was told in the 1986 movie "Sid and Nancy."

In 1979, Ian Anderson of "Jethro Tull" had his eye pierced by the thorn of a rose thrown on stage by a fan at Madison Square Garden. The band was forced to cancel two shows.

In 1985, Ricky Wilson, guitarist with "The B52's," died of AIDS.

In 1989, pianist and bandleader Carmen Cavallaro died in Columbus, Ohio at age 76. He was best known for his performances on the soundtrack of "The Eddy Duchin Story," the 1956 film biography that starred Tyrone Power. The soundtrack album went to No. 1, and stayed on the charts for 99 weeks. Cavallaro also had a big hit in 1945 with a flashy version of Chopin's "Polonaise."

In 1994, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page's "Unledded" reunion special premiered on MTV. It was the highest-rated show in the history of the "MTV Unplugged" series.

In 1994, 40 people were slightly hurt when bleachers collapsed just before the start of a "Pink Floyd" concert in London. The show, part of the band's first tour in seven years, was called off. The hall's owner and two other people were fined a total of $77,000 after admitting mistakes in setting up the seating.

In 1995, Death Row Records posted bail of $1.4 million for one of its artists, rapper Tupac Shakur, as he appealed a sexual assault conviction. Shakur had already served eight months of his 18-to-54-month sentence. Shakur was shot to death in Las Vegas the following year.

In 1996, "The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus" premiered at the New York Film Festival more than 27 years after it was made and then mothballed. The concert film, featuring guests such as John Lennon and "The Who," was shot over two days in 1968, just after "The Rolling Stones" had recorded their "Beggars Banquet" album. But they balked at releasing what they considered to be an inferior performance.

In 1997, singer-songwriter John Denver died when his experimental fibreglass plane crashed into Monterey Bay off northern California. He was 53. Denver had bought the homemade plane only the day before, and investigators cited his lack of training and the failure to refuel his craft as key factors in the crash. Denver's rise to fame began in 1969 when "Peter, Paul and Mary" made a hit out of his "Leaving on a Jet Plane." Denver was soon selling millions of copies himself of such homespun hits as "Rocky Mountain High," "Take Me Home, Country Roads" and "Thank God I'm a Country Boy." Eight of his albums sold more than one million apiece and "John Denver's Greatest Hits" is one of RCA Records' all-time best-sellers.

In 1997, the Janet Jackson album "The Velvet Rope" was banned in Singapore because of songs about abuse, sexuality and homosexuality.

In 2001, Texas world-music guru Dan Del Santo was found dead in a small town in southern Mexico. Del Santo, who was 50, coined the term "world beat" while leading an Afro-Cuban band in the 1980's. He fled to Mexico in 1992 after being charged in Virginia with conspiring to distribute marijuana.

In 2002, Ray Conniff, Grammy Award-winning composer and band leader, died at age 85.

In 2006, country singer Sara Evans quit "Dancing with the Stars" and filed for divorce from her husband of 13 years.

In 2009, Chet Atkins, Charlie Daniels and "Toto" were inducted into the Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum. Other inductees include Billy Cox, Dick Dale, Victor Feldman, Fred Foster, Paul Riser.

In 2009, the first song from the Michael Jackson music documentary, "This Is It" made its debut online. The song played during the closing sequence and featured backup vocals by Michael's brothers, "The Jacksons." Its genesis was actually in 1983 when it was written for a duets album Paul Anka was recording. The song was titled "I Never Heard," and Jackson and Anka are credited as co-authors on an early 1990s version recorded by the singer Sa-Fire.

In 2010, Loretta Lynn received a special presentation of The Recording Academy President’s Merit Award at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville in honour of her dynamic career and contributions to country music.

In 2010, actress Susan Sarandon and Canadian singer Celine Dion were named goodwill ambassadors of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization to combat hunger worldwide.

In 2010, autobiographies by Canadian teen-pop sensation Justin Bieber ("Justin Bieber First Step 2 Forever: My Story") and Grammy winner and soap-opera heartthrob Rick Springfield ("Late, Late at Night") hit store shelves.

[www.mysask.com]

Date: October 12, 2011 14:22

dead.flowers
Oct 12, 1492 Christopher Columbus' expedition makes landfall in the Caribbean and lands on Guanahani, but believes he has reached the East Indies.

...and a bank holiday is still observed here in the States, celebrating Columbus' "discovery" of America.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 12, 2011 14:44

Edith Grove
dead.flowers
Oct 12, 1492 Christopher Columbus' expedition makes landfall in the Caribbean and lands on Guanahani, but believes he has reached the East Indies.

...and a bank holiday is still observed here in the States, celebrating Columbus' "discovery" of America.

So it is. While I get the impression that - especially in Latin America - this "Dia de la Raza" / "Discovery" Day is being less and less "celebrated" respectively has been rededicated.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Many countries in the New World and elsewhere celebrate the anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the Americas, which occurred on October 12, 1492, as an official holiday. The event is celebrated as Columbus Day in the United States, as Día de la Raza in many countries in Latin America, as Discovery Day in the Bahamas, as Día de la Hispanidad, Fiesta Nacional in Spain, Día del Respeto a la Diversidad Cultural (Day of Respect for Cultural Diversity) in Argentina and as Día de las Américas (Day of the Americas) in Uruguay. These holidays have been celebrated unofficially since the late 18th century, and officially in various areas since the early 20th century.

Latin American observance
Día de la Raza

The date Columbus arrived in the Americas is celebrated in many countries in Latin America. The most common name for the celebration in Spanish (including in some Latino communities in the United States) is the Día de la Raza ("day of the race" or "day of the [hispanic] people" ), commemorating the first encounters of Europeans and Native Americans. The day was first celebrated in Argentina in 1917, Venezuela and Colombia in 1921, Chile in 1922, and Mexico in 1928. The day was also celebrated under this title in Spain until 1957, when it was changed to the Día de la Hispanidad ("Hispanity Day" ), and in Venezuela until 2002, when it was changed to the Día de la Resistencia Indígena (Day of Indigenous Resistance). Originally conceived of as a celebration of Hispanic influence in the Americas, as evidenced by the complementary celebrations in Spain and Latin America, Día de la Raza has come to be seen by some[who?] in Latin America as a counter to Columbus Day; a celebration of the resistance against the arrival of Europeans to the Americas and of the native races and cultures.

In the U.S. Día de la Raza has served as a time of mobilization for pan-ethnic Latino activists, particularly in the 1960s. Since then, La Raza has served as a periodic rallying cry for Hispanic activists. The first Hispanic March on Washington occurred on Columbus Day in 1996. The name has remained in the largest Hispanic social justice organization, the National Council of La Raza.

Venezuela

Between 1921 and 2002, Venezuela celebrated Día de la Raza along with many other Latin American nations. The original holiday was officially established in 1921 under President Juan Vicente Gómez. In 2002, under president Hugo Chávez, the name was changed to Día de la Resistencia Indígena (Day of Indigenous Resistance) to commemorate the Indigenous peoples' resistance to European settlement. On October 12, 2004 a crowd of pro-government activists toppled the statue of Columbus in Caracas and sprayed allusive graffiti over its pedestal. The pro-Chávez website Aporrea wrote: "Just like the statue of Saddam in Baghdad, that of Columbus the tyrant also fell this October 12, 2004 in Caracas."[ The famous toppling of Saddam Hussein's statue had occurred the previous year.

Costa Rica

Since 1994, Costa Rica had changed the official holiday from Día de la Raza to Día de las Culturas (Day of the cultures) to recognize the mix of European, American, African and Asian cultures that helped to compose Costa Rican (and Latin American) culture.

Opposition to Columbus celebrations

Opposition to Columbus Day dates to at least the 19th century where activists had sought to eradicate Columbus Day celebrations because of its association with immigrants and the Knights of Columbus. They were afraid it was being used to expand Catholic influence. By far the more common opposition today, decrying Columbus's and Europeans' actions against the indigenous populations of the Americas, did not gain much traction until the latter half of the 20th century. This opposition has been spearheaded by indigenous groups, though it has spread into the mainstream.

There are two main strands of this critique, which are interrelated. The first refers primarily to the indigenous population collapse and cruel treatment towards indigenous peoples during the European colonization of the American continents which followed Columbus's discovery. Some, such as AIM, have argued that the responsibility of contemporary governments and their citizens for allegedly ongoing acts of genocide against Native Americans are masked by positive Columbus myths and celebrations. These critics argue that a particular understanding of the legacy of Columbus has been used to legitimize their actions, and it is this misuse of history that must be exposed. F. David Peat asserts that many cultural myths of North America exclude or diminish the culture and myths of Native Americans. These cultural myths include ideas expressed by Michael Berliner of the Ayn Rand Institute claiming that Western civilization brought “reason, science, self-reliance, individualism, ambition, and productive achievement” to a people who were based in “primitivism, mysticism, and collectivism”, and to a land that was “sparsely inhabited, unused, and underdeveloped.” American anthropologist Jack Weatherford says that on Columbus Day Americans celebrate the greatest waves of genocide of the Indians known in history.[38] American Indian Movement of Colorado leader and activist Ward Churchill takes this argument further, contending that the mythologizing and celebration of the European settlement of the Americas in Columbus Day make it easier for people today to avoid taking responsibility for their own actions, or the actions of their governments regarding indigenous populations. He wrote in his book Bringing the Law Back Home:

Very high on the list of those expressions of non-indigenous sensibility [that] contribute to the perpetuation of genocidal policies against Indians are the annual Columbus Day celebration, events in which it is baldly asserted that the process, events, and circumstances described above are, at best, either acceptable or unimportant. More often, the sentiments expressed by the participants are, quite frankly, that the fate of Native America embodied in Columbus and the Columbian legacy is a matter to be openly and enthusiastically applauded as an unrivaled "boon to all mankind". Undeniably, the situation of American Indians will not — in fact cannot — change for the better so long as such attitudes are deemed socially acceptable by the mainstream populace. Hence, such celebrations as Columbus Day must be stopped.

A second strain of the criticism of Columbus Day focuses on the character of Columbus himself. In time for the observation of Columbus Day in 2004, the final volume of a compendium of Columbus-era documents was published by the University of California, Los Angeles's Medieval and Renaissance Center. Geoffrey Symcox, the general editor of the project, asserted: "While giving the brilliant mariner his due, the collection portrays Columbus as an unrelenting social climber and self-promoter who stopped at nothing— not even exploitation, slavery, or twisting Biblical scripture— to advance his ambitions… Many of the unflattering documents have been known for the last century or more, but nobody paid much attention to them until recently… The fact that Columbus brought slavery, enormous exploitation or devastating diseases to the Americas used to be seen as a minor detail - if it was recognized at all - in light of his role as the great bringer of white man's civilization to the benighted idolatrous American continent. But to historians today this information is very important. It changes our whole view of the enterprise."

Most critiques combine elements of both strains. Journalist and media critic Norman Solomon reflects in Columbus Day: A Clash of Myth and History that many people choose to hold on to the myths surrounding Columbus whereas historians who deal with the evidence are frequently depicted as "politically correct" revisionists. He quotes from the logbook Columbus's initial description of the Indians: "They do not bear arms, and do not know them, for I showed them a sword, they took it by the edge and cut themselves out of ignorance.... They would make fine servants.... With 50 men we could subjugate them all and make them do whatever we want." In 1495, during the Second Voyage, Indians were transported to Spain as slaves, many dying en route. "Let us in the name of the Holy Trinity," Columbus later wrote, "go on sending all the slaves that can be sold." Solomon states that the most important contemporary documentary evidence is the multi-volume History of the Indies by the Catholic priest Bartolomé de las Casas who observed the region where Columbus was governor. In contrast to "the myth" Solomon quotes Las Casas who describes Spaniards driven by "insatiable greed" — "killing, terrorizing, afflicting, and torturing the native peoples" with "the strangest and most varied new methods of cruelty" and how systematic violence was aimed at preventing "Indians from daring to think of themselves as human beings." The Spaniards "thought nothing of knifing Indians by tens and twenties and of cutting slices off them to test the sharpness of their blades", wrote Las Casas. "My eyes have seen these acts so foreign to human nature, and now I tremble as I write."

In the summer of 1990, 350 representatives from Indian groups from all over the hemisphere, met in Quito, Ecuador, at the first Intercontinental Gathering of Indigenous People in the Americas, to mobilize against the quincentennial celebration of Columbus Day. The following summer, in Davis, California, more than a hundred Native Americans gathered for a follow-up meeting to the Quito conference. They declared October 12, 1992, "International Day of Solidarity with Indigenous People." The largest ecumenical body in the United States, the National Council of Churches, called on Christians to refrain from celebrating the Columbus quincentennial, saying, "What represented newness of freedom, hope, and opportunity for some was the occasion for oppression, degradation and genocide for others."

Date: October 13, 2011 00:19

Edith Grove
dead.flowers

Edith Grove..12.10.1492 certainly the biggest day in American history smileys with beer

Date: October 13, 2011 01:18

colonial
Edith Grove
dead.flowers

Edith Grove..12.10.1492 certainly the biggest day in American history smileys with beer

I think a lot of native Americans would disagree with that.

Date: October 13, 2011 19:30

October 13th:

Birthdates - Paul Simon (1941), Chris Farlowe (1940), Robert Lamm (Chicago Transit Authority - 1944)

Not musically related but Lenny Bruce was born in 1925

Janis Joplin's ashes were scattered off Marin County, CA (Stinson Beach) in 1970

The Beatles appeared on TV's "Sunday Night at The London Palladium" - 1963

Date: October 13, 2011 22:09

14.10.1965 The Rolling Stones done 2 shows at the Odean Theatre Birmingham England

14.10.1964 The Rolling Stones performed at the Memorial Auditorium Louisville (KY) USA

Date: October 14, 2011 18:32

October 14th:

Cliff Richard born in 1940

Robert Parker born in 1930

Charlie Watts marries Shirley Ann Shepherd in 1964

Joe Cocker and six band members busted for drugs in Adelaide, Australia in 1972

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 14, 2011 21:48

Edith Grove
In 1957, following a concert in Sydney, Australia, Little Richard announced he was quitting rock 'n' roll for religion. He entered a religious college in Alabama and was ordained as a minister in the Seventh Day Adventist Church. Little Richard would return to rock in 1964.

In 1962, Little Richard played a gig in Liverpool, with a then-unknown local band called "The Beatles" opening for him.

Something doesn't make sense here.

Date: October 14, 2011 21:50

Koen
Edith Grove

Something doesn't make sense here.

Don't shoot the messenger! grinning smiley

Date: October 15, 2011 21:39

October 15th:

Barry McGuire - hit song "Eve Of Destruction" - born 1935

Keith and Anita given suspended sentences in Nice, France on drug charges, fined 500 UK Pounds - 1973

Howlin' Wolf suffers a severe heart attack - 1969

Date: October 16, 2011 16:44

October 16th:

Bob Weir born in 1947

Leonard Chess died of a heart attack in 1969 age 52

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: October 16, 2011 16:52

peter wilson
October 15th:

Barry McGuire - hit song "Eve Of Destruction" - born 1935

Keith and Anita given suspended sentences in Nice, France on drug charges, fined 500 UK Pounds - 1973

Howlin' Wolf suffers a severe heart attack - 1969

Love that tune !

Date: October 18, 2011 21:40

October 18th:

Birthdates:

As already mentioned - Chuck Berry - 1926

Russ Giguere (vocals/guitar/percussion with The Association) - 1943

Ronnie Knight (bass with The Coasters) - 1938

Al Green was scalded on his back with boiling grits, by girlfriend Mary Woodson, who then shot herself - 1973

Richard Nader presents the first of his "Rock N' Roll Revival" shows in NYC with Chuck Berry, Bill Haley, The Platters, The Shirelles - 1969

Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane) was busted for drugs in Hawaii - 1969

John Lennon and Yoko Ono's London flat was raided by police for drugs, later fined 150 UK Pounds and 21 UK Pounds for costs - 1968

John Lennon's first solo film appearance in "How I Won The War" premieres in London -1967

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home