Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: New Orleans
Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: October 8, 2011 01:27

I am stationed in Louisiana and will be going back to visit New Orleans for the long weekend. What are the Stones-related sites (besides the Superdome) there?

Thanks in advance!

Re: OT: New Orleans
Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 8, 2011 01:38

None that I am aware of. Unless you want to go hang out at the Maple Leaf where Keith was interviewed during the Voodoo Lounge tour, which doesn't make any sense really other than to see it. Is that what you want to do? Horribly attended show too. Almost nobody went.

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: October 8, 2011 02:23

I would love to visit new Orleans it's # 1 on my list of places in USA.

Have a nice trip.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 8, 2011 03:24

I live in New Orleans, and I wouldn't say that there are any Stones "landmarks" in the city.

If anything, New Orleans music had/has an influence on the Stones, so I would catch some live music while you are here.
You can start looking for gigs here: [www.offbeat.com]
Lots of other links on that site will help you with your visit.

The town of Gretna, just across the Mississippi River from New Orleans, is having their annual festival this weekend.
You can see what's happening at GretnaFest here: [www.gretnafest.com]
If you go to the festival, I would take the Gretna Ferry from the foot of Canal Street to get there.
You can enjoy the ride along the river, and the ferry delivers you right to the festival.
Make sure the ferry you get on is going to Gretna.

The official New Orleans tourism site is here: [www.neworleansonline.com]

Have fun, but don't get Bourbon-faced on Shit Street! smileys with beer

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: October 8, 2011 03:36

DragonSky
None that I am aware of. Unless you want to go hang out at the Maple Leaf where Keith was interviewed during the Voodoo Lounge tour, which doesn't make any sense really other than to see it. Is that what you want to do? Horribly attended show too. Almost nobody went.

94 show had low attendance,however - 80,000 in 78, 87,500 in 81 and a 55,000 sellout in 89. Not bad.

Date: October 8, 2011 03:36

BTW, if you find yourself doing laundry, stop by The Clothes Spin on the corner of Dumaine & N. Rampart.
This is the location of the original J&M Music Shop, where many of the great R&B artists of the 40s & 50s recorded.
Jerry Lee Lewis made his first recording here as well.

The "dryer room" is where the studio was.
A really small room considering the equipment, including a piano that was squeezed in there.

You might find me using the machines in there this weekend. smiling smiley

Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: October 8, 2011 04:27

Ok, thanks for the info! I passed by the Clothes Spin by chance the first time I was there. Bourbon Street...been there, done that...I prefer the rest of French Quarter and the Garden District. Going to check out that website now...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 8, 2011 11:01

Edith Grove
BTW, if you find yourself doing laundry, stop by The Clothes Spin on the corner of Dumaine & N. Rampart.
This is the location of the original J&M Music Shop, where many of the great R&B artists of the 40s & 50s recorded.

A really small room considering the equipment, including a piano that was squeezed in there.

Is that the place near Hula Mae's launderette and some weird Voodoo church opposite Louis Armstrong Park on Canal St? Cosimo Matassa's studio?

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: October 8, 2011 11:16

Shawn20
DragonSky

94 show had low attendance,however - 80,000 in 78, 87,500 in 81 and a 55,000 sellout in 89. Not bad.

So what was the attendance for the 94 show?

Date: October 8, 2011 13:28

Silver Dagger
Edith Grove

Is that the place near Hula Mae's launderette and some weird Voodoo church opposite Louis Armstrong Park on Canal St? Cosimo Matassa's studio?

That is the place. New owner, new name.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 8, 2011 14:35

Edith Grove
Silver Dagger
Edith Grove

That is the place. New owner, new name.
Why do ya' washing at a lauderette..when ya' can just buy a washing machine and do it at home like we all do down here..gee finding the time and with the hassle pissing around at some lauderette..it'll be different if ya' on holiday or something

Date: October 8, 2011 14:40

colonial
Why do ya' washing at a lauderette..when ya' can just buy a washing machine and do it at home like we all do down here

I have a very small flat and no plumbing for a washing machine, but that launderette is a big step up from banging my dirty clothes on the rocks by the river!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 8, 2011 14:57

Edith Grove
colonial
Why do ya' washing at a lauderette..when ya' can just buy a washing machine and do it at home like we all do down here

I have a very small flat and no plumbing for a washing machine, but that launderette is a big step up from banging my dirty clothes on the rocks by the river!
Lauderettes are very American they seen to be in alot of ya' TV programmes

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 8, 2011 18:15

franzk
Shawn20
DragonSky

19,000. Close to that. U2 came through three years later and had maybe 25,000. Neither have been back and probably never will.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 8, 2011 18:30

When the Stones were profiled on 60 MINUTES awhile back they were hitting—on camera—some New Orleans spots. Charlie and Keith visited a New Orleans club. Mick sang in a parade on the street with Ed Bradley tagging along. If you could track that piece down maybe you could place the New Orleans locations in it.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: October 8, 2011 21:36

DragonSky
franzk
Shawn20
DragonSky

19,000. Close to that. U2 came through three years later and had maybe 25,000. Neither have been back and probably never will.

Thanks. Any idea why such a huge drop of popularity occurred suddenly?

BTW: I think the Stones were going to play there in 2005 but the show was canceled due to Katrina.

Date: October 8, 2011 22:44

Title5Take1
When the Stones were profiled on 60 MINUTES awhile back they were hitting—on camera—some New Orleans spots. Charlie and Keith visited a New Orleans club. Mick sang in a parade on the street with Ed Bradley tagging along. If you could track that piece down maybe you could place the New Orleans locations in it.

I'm pretty sure the club Keith & Charlie visited was Cafe Brasil, no longer in operation.
The second-line parade, I believe was in the Treme neighborhood, adjacent to the French Quarter.

I remember hearing Mick was spotted at the old Rock-n-Bowl years ago, but that has since moved to a new location.
Mick was also spotted at an Uptown club some time ago, but I can't remember the name of the place.

IMO, a Stone simply visiting a club or whatever, does not qualify that place as a "landmark" unless, of course, YOU happen to be there when they walk in.

Date: October 8, 2011 22:48

franzk
BTW: I think the Stones were going to play there in 2005 but the show was canceled due to Katrina.

Yes. BV had a rumored date in March, 2006 listed at the New Orleans Arena, but took it down just days after the hurricane hit the city.

As it turns out, there was an event at the Arena that day in March, 2006.....of all things, a Billy Graham Crusade.
I think I'll put that on the Stones/irony thread. grinning smiley

Date: October 8, 2011 22:53

DragonSky
franzk

Ah, but we have the New Orleans Arena now!

Before that, the next largest arena in the city sat about 5000-6000.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home