Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
A Suggestion for Keith Richards
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 4, 2011 21:49

Today, I want to join that group of people at IORR who always have ideas for what various members of The Rolling Stones should, do, think and/or say.

I respect the many good parts of Keith Richards but after I read his autobiography, I felt very disappointed in him...He can be an intelligent person who's good with words and appreciates books. But for every fascinating and honest part of "Life" there were numerous lapses of memory, misstatements, lack of honest and tasteless statements. Keith has always fostered the "rebel" image although it almost did him in on numerous occasions. If he wasn't famous as opposed to being an adult, if he hadn't collected millions of dollars for his "memories." if he were someone reading the book from an objective point of view, I don't think he'd be a fan of the central character -- himself. Since becoming "famous," he's been surrounded by enablers and hangers-on as well as loving friends and family.

My point is that as much as I'd personally enjoy seeing Keith on stage again and giving a solid performance (as opposed to relying on back up musicians) I really have had enough of "PR bullshit," endless posing for photos, arms around Jagger etc., the usual "Aren't I cool! and "Oh yes, we're going on tour..." (Get those tickets NOW."

It would be impressive to see him present himself at a major press conference as an imperfect adult who loves music and who respects his musical partner Mick Jagger.

I don't look for any apologies from Keith but it would be positive and high time if he showed some appreciation for the army of longtime fans as well as the new ones and for Mick, Charlie and others who have put up with a hell of a lot from him through the years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-05 00:12 by stonesrule.

Re: A Suggestion for Keith Richards
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 4, 2011 21:54

rockn'roll peeps shouldn't be allowed to read books, let alone write them.

Date: October 4, 2011 22:03

Peeps? You mean those gooey marshmallow things they sell around Easter?

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: October 4, 2011 22:04

stonesrule
," endless posing for photos, arms around Jagger etc., the usual "Aren't I cool! and ".

Keith's posing is unbeable to me. I can't stand looking at him anymore. Thats all he is about anymore. I used to think the Stones while putting out the best music, were also the bestto watch on stage. Now he annoys me like no other.

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: October 4, 2011 22:09

If you were to write your autobiog the chances are that it would diverge from the truth as perceived by those that know you.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: October 4, 2011 22:13

stonesrule

My point is that as much as I'd personally enjoy seeing Keith on stage again and giving a solid performance (as opposed to relying on back up musicians) I really have had enough of "PR bullshit," endless posing for photos, arms around Jagger etc., the usual "Aren't I cool! and "Oh yes, we're going on tour..." (Get those tickets NOW."
quote]

Sometimes I wonder how much of all that, the image, the inevitable photos with eyeliner and cigarette - all the "PR bullshit" as you call it, is more Jane Rose´ phantasy/vision of a rockstar. How much of J.Rose is in Keith Richards? (I don´t know why, but I don´t like her...)

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 4, 2011 22:14

stonesrule, you say it well, and you know the man and his family, unless I'm wrong.

Keith, thanks for the songs, and hope you have a few more yet.

its weird how you knock Jagger.

Date: October 4, 2011 22:16

The thing about knocking Keith is he didn't take a wrong turn somewhere, this is what the cool junkie outlaw becomes four decades later if he survives. Keith never grew up or recanted or went through phases like other rock stars. He stayed true to himself. The problem is who that character is decades later isn't a person as many Stones fan are willing to admire any more.

Kinda like if your wild buddy from school who you looked up to never straightened up, he ended up the smelly, scuzzy barfly you now wish to avoid when you bump into him for fear he'll hit you up for some money he'll never repay. You're middle-aged with a morgage, while he's sleeping in a flophouse and smells like he hasn't had a bath in a few weeks. Same dynamic between cool Keith of the past and the guy so many Stones fans are now fed up with.

In the end, Pete Townshend's wish at the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in 1989 came true: they didn't grow old gracefully. Pete was right, it wouldn't suit them, but a lot of fans prefer ageless Peter Pan to the equally developmentally-challenged Captain Hook.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 4, 2011 22:19

Nicely put William.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 4, 2011 22:24

Keith became a joke - it is simply like that.

Date: October 5, 2011 00:08

Oh mtaylor!
I could cry just reading your post. I guess I have hopes that Keith will redeem hiself and be a man about it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 5, 2011 00:10

You know what's funny? When I read Tony Sanchez' book back in the 70s I was really shocked and disappointed at what I read about Keith. Then I had some time to absorb it, and decided that it was a caraciture of Keith. What if someone took all of the most outrageous and stupid things you or I ever did and put them in a book, without any context? But then I read "Life" and the same personality emerges as the one in "Up And Down With The Rolling Stones" - and this was a book where Keith completely controlled his image! So, either he really is that ridiculous person, with "showing the blade" and all the rest of it, or it's exactly who he wants us to believe he is.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 5, 2011 00:22

want to see proof a dude his age can still play, check out any recent Clapton footage.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 5, 2011 00:56

its such a letdown-seeing the cool keith turn into this...

if he was half the tough guy he tries to pretend he is he would just straighten the shit out in-house,man to man instead of crying to the press all the time.if he were an athlete talking about his teammates in the media like that he would be the object of untold scorn.

maybe mick should start calling him "renee richards" after that transsexual tennis player from the 70's-half man,half bitch.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 5, 2011 01:11

"people...better let them do just what they will, for they will"

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: October 5, 2011 01:17

One more suggestion for Keith Richards > Go on your knees, and beg your best man to forgiveness!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 5, 2011 01:20

stonesrule
Today, I want to join that group of people at IORR who always have ideas for what various members of The Rolling Stones should, do, think and/or say.

I respect the many good parts of Keith Richards but after I read his autobiography, I felt very disappointed in him...He can be an intelligent person who's good with words and appreciates books. But for every fascinating and honest part of "Life" there were numerous lapses of memory, misstatements, lack of honest and tasteless statements. Keith has always fostered the "rebel" image although it almost did him in on numerous occasions. If he wasn't famous as opposed to being an adult, if he hadn't collected millions of dollars for his "memories." if he were someone reading the book from an objective point of view, I don't think he'd be a fan of the central character -- himself. Since becoming "famous," he's been surrounded by enablers and hangers-on as well as loving friends and family.

It would be impressive to see him present himself at a major press conference as an imperfect adult who loves music and who respects his musical partner Mick Jagger.

I don't look for any apologies from Keith but it would be positive and high time if he showed some appreciation for the army of longtime fans as well as the new ones and for Mick, Charlie and others who have put up with a hell of a lot from him through the years.

WTF? Nice cheap shots guys. Based on your opinions of that dastardly, low life, rascal Keith aren't you conflicted as a Stones fans these days? What rubbish. This has really become a sad state of affairs around here. Sorry, I don't think Keith has jack to prove to anyone these days, except to his family. He can do whatever he wants if it makes him happy. His legacy is his music. It's enough for me.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: October 5, 2011 02:18

I wouldn't call Keith "a joke". I think that moniker fails to take into account his serious brain injury in 2006. Since then, his playing has suffered dramatically, as have, undoubtedly, many of his other cognitive skills. "Life" sounded like a wounded, desperate, defensive man trying to prove to everyone that he's the same as ever. The book itself isn't wholly different than Keith's playing since his injury; erratic, at times entertaining, but lacking focus in comparison to what was/is expected.

If Keith doesn't end up with a blood clot in his brain, everything would have been much, much different. Even though his recent missteps have often been cringe inducing, I think it's important for his fans to realize that what they're witnessing is a man who simply isn't the same as he was pre-injury. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 5, 2011 02:26

I dont know why anyone makes a big deal outta Clapton anymore. His blues playing has become as stale and predictable as a ten year old fruit cake.....

Date: October 5, 2011 02:30

Unfortunately, Keith has "stayed true to himself" both before and after the accident in diverse ways. I've known several musicians who were terribly injured in plane crashes so it's not like I'm unaware. Or maybe "staying true to yourself" means fighting becoming a grown man.

On the other hand I admire some of what Filstan posted. His legacy is his music, absolutely! In the meantime,real life has a way of interfering with music and relationships.

Date: October 5, 2011 02:46

To my knowledge, Keith "staying true to himself", or whatever, wasn't a problem until after he suffered a brain injury. I'm not sure what your knowledge of musicians injured in plane crashes has to do with Keith Richards. Nonetheless, it's your call if you want to rip the guy...it's what HE wants anyway. He would prefer to be thought of as a pain in the ass, "joke", etc... because in a strange way, that makes him relevant to the conversation about the future of the Stones. It keeps him from being thought of as irrevocably altered since his injury if you judge him as if he's the same person from before the injury occurred. He's not though. I'm half convinced Mick is purporting to be pissed at Keith so the conversation about Keith's ability to play can be put off indefinitely.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: October 5, 2011 02:51

71Tele
You know what's funny? When I read Tony Sanchez' book back in the 70s I was really shocked and disappointed at what I read about Keith. Then I had some time to absorb it, and decided that it was a caraciture of Keith. What if someone took all of the most outrageous and stupid things you or I ever did and put them in a book, without any context? But then I read "Life" and the same personality emerges as the one in "Up And Down With The Rolling Stones" - and this was a book where Keith completely controlled his image! So, either he really is that ridiculous person, with "showing the blade" and all the rest of it, or it's exactly who he wants us to believe he is.

Having read Sanchez's book in the '70s as well, I wholeheartedly agree!

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: October 5, 2011 03:48

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Peeps? You mean those gooey marshmallow things they sell around Easter?

They're to eat? I've always just burned 'em! Didn't know you were supposed to eat 'em!

Date: October 5, 2011 03:50

Vermontoffender, thank you for explaining Keith's thoughts to us.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 5, 2011 03:56

WilliamPatrickMaynard
but a lot of fans prefer ageless Peter Pan to the equally developmentally-challenged Captain Hook.

Michael Jackson was Peter Pan...not so much Jagger...the "developmentally challenged" part is a cheap shot on KR. Pointing out that Keith has gone commercial/Hollywood is I think a fair point and similar to Mick's accepting the knighthood....

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: October 5, 2011 04:04

I thought this was a stones fan forum not lets find fault with keith forum. why is it if there is nothing to discuss people start to knock one of the stones? just don't understand it?

We are all human and not perfect

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 5, 2011 04:14

pgarof
I thought this was a stones fan forum not lets find fault with keith forum. why is it if there is nothing to discuss people start to knock one of the stones? just don't understand it?

Well said!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 5, 2011 04:27

filstan
Sorry, I don't think Keith has jack to prove to anyone these days, except to his family. He can do whatever he wants if it makes him happy. His legacy is his music. It's enough for me.

Exactly. Lots of folks here seems to think they own the Stones and can tell them what to do, or don't do. Big tour, small tour, get back to work, blues album, country album, Rick Rubin, anniversary, Mick Taylor, open the vaults, Ron Wood, SuperHeavy, Aftermath, blah blah blah.

Grow up, get a life, and enjoy the music that the Stones have brought to the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-05 04:28 by Koen.

Date: October 5, 2011 04:33

Stonesrule: How is your original post not based on your opinion of what Keith is thinking, or how he is acting?

I mean, just because my opinion makes a lot more sense than yours doesn't mean you have to get all snippy. A simple "Thank You" would have sufficed.

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: October 5, 2011 04:53

pgarof

Speak for yourself.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1403
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home