Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mick ever write put down songs about Keith?
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 5, 2011 15:16

You're standing on your side
I'm standing on mine
It only needs one step and we could be crossing the line

There's nothing between us
Or maybe too much
Whatever it is, it's too fragile to touch

And who jumps the fences?
And who builds the walls?
Whoever takes chances must surely fall

There's no river running
That we can't cross
Does one or the other of us have to be the boss?

Date: October 5, 2011 15:19

Green Lady
I'm standing on mine

Or maybe too much

There's no river running
That we can't cross

Keith penned this? winking smiley

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 5, 2011 15:30

Even more interesting when one person can write a lyric about somebody else and that same "SOMEBODY ELSE" sings it!

Didn't Keith write most of the lyric for Mixed Emotions (aka Mick's Emotions)? The lyric basically says..let's put our feuding behind us and go out and tour........................and they did. winking smiley

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mixed Emotions (from Keno's page)

Button your lip baby
Button your coat
Let's go out dancing
Go for the throat
Let's bury the hatchet
Wipe out the past
Make love together
Stay on the path

You're not the only one
With mixed emotions
You're not the only ship
Adrift on this ocean

This coming and going
Is driving me nuts
This to-ing and fro-ing
Is hurting my guts
So get off the fence
It's creasing your butt
Life is a party
Let's get out and strut

You're not the only one
That's feeling lonesome
You're not the only one
With mixed emotions

You're not the only one
You're not the only one
You're not the only one
You're not the only one

Let's grab the world
By the scruff of the neck
And drink it down deeply
Let's love it to death
So button your lip
And button your coat
Let's go out dancing
Let's rock 'n' roll

You're not the only one
With mixed emotions
You're not the only ship
Adrift on this ocean
You're not the only one
That's feeling lonesome
You're not the only one
With mixed emotions

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-05 15:40 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 5, 2011 15:34

DandelionPowderman
Green Lady
I'm standing on mine

Or maybe too much

There's no river running
That we can't cross

Officially Jagger/Richards, so your guess is as good as mine.

Date: October 5, 2011 15:48

Honestly it has seemed for the past 30 years that the majority of Keith songs that Mick sings have verses almost completely rewritten by Mick before seeing the light of day. Listen to the bootlegs. Keith will come up with the title or sometimes the chorus, he will have the idea of what the lyrics are about and he'll put the music together, but I don't think Mick will generally sing Keith's verses. Likewise, Keith will either play session guitarist for Mick ("New Faces" or "Don't Stop" are two examples) or suggest a descending melody line or something similar to mix it up a bit ("Let Me Down Slow" is a known example of this), but he's otherwise working with Mick songs. That's what Jagger-Richards has come to mean.

Date: October 5, 2011 15:54

WilliamPatrickMaynard
That's what Jagger-Richards has come to mean.

Jagger/Richards is a contractual (or handshake) agreement...just as Lennon/McCartney was.

Jagger comes before Richards because J comes before R alphabetically.

If RW makes a significant contribution....it might say Jagger/Richards/Wood.

If Mick Taylor makes a significant contribution...it WILL say Jagger/Richards. winking smiley

Date: October 5, 2011 15:59

Green Lady
DandelionPowderman
Green Lady
I'm standing on mine

Or maybe too much

There's no river running
That we can't cross

Officially Jagger/Richards, so your guess is as good as mine.

I was just kidding. Looks very much like Jagger's words, imo.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 5, 2011 16:34

Beautiful analysis Doxa...

Date: October 5, 2011 16:35

sweet neo con
[If Mick Taylor makes a significant contribution...it WILL say Jagger/Richards.

Presumably "Ventilator Blues" is the exception that proves the rule.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: October 5, 2011 20:41

Doxa
An excellent article - thank you very much for sharing it! Never seen it before.

This part is extremely interesting one:

Jagger is reluctant to go into the Stones affair, perhaps afraid to trigger a new round of squabbling. When pressed about the Stones during an interview for Q magazine here, Jagger said, "I can't be specific. I can't . I don't think I have to, really. It's just that friction builds up over the years . . . and I just couldn't deal with it anymore. It became impossible to run the band, the state they were worked up into.....................

I agree with alot of what you say, not so much with that Keith was the main songwriter (Mick Taylor always says otherwise) ;-)

But I disagree when you say that Mick does not care anymore. I think he cares A LOT about the band, imo that is the reason why he does not say what he really feels because he knows that then it would be over. I don´t think it is only for the money, he does not need more of it, I think he really loves this band, but it is the question if the tensions are worth it at their age.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 5, 2011 20:53

elunsi
Doxa
An excellent article - thank you very much for sharing it! Never seen it before.

Jagger is reluctant to go into the Stones affair, perhaps afraid to trigger a new round of squabbling. When pressed about the Stones during an interview for Q magazine here, Jagger said, "I can't be specific. I can't . I don't think I have to, really. It's just that friction builds up over the years . . . and I just couldn't deal with it anymore. It became impossible to run the band, the state they were worked up into.....................

I agree with alot of what you say, not so much with that Keith was the main songwriter (Mick Taylor always says otherwise) ;-)

But I disagree when you say that Mick does not care anymore. I think he cares A LOT about the band, imo that is the reason why he does not say what he really feels because he knows that then it would be over. I don´t think it is only for the money, he does not need more of it, I think he really loves this band, but it is the question if the tensions are worth it at their age.

If he didn't care about the band anymore, why would he do Exile Deluxe, Some Girls Deluxe, Some Girls Movie, L&G etc. - doesn't bring him money he can't earn otherwise. He is even talking about more reissues with more hidden gems. It is Mick who cares. It is Mick that has the drive. Without him, the band would have been history long time ago. Stones fans own quite much to Mick.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: October 5, 2011 21:36

mtaylor
elunsi
Doxa

If he didn't care about the band anymore, why would he do Exile Deluxe, Some Girls Deluxe, Some Girls Movie, L&G etc. - doesn't bring him money he can't earn otherwise. He is even talking about more reissues with more hidden gems. It is Mick who cares. It is Mick that has the drive. Without him, the band would have been history long time ago. Stones fans own quite much to Mick.

So true! I think Mick loves the Stones and has been willing to put up with and do so much because of his love for the music.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 5, 2011 21:43

mtaylor
elunsi
Doxa

Absolutely.
And what does Richards do at this time? He wrote a book about himsel, now he's recording a solo album and getting ready for the documentary biopic by Depp.
What's funny - a considerable part of the fans calls Jagger "to return to the Stones"

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 5, 2011 21:44

sweet neo con
Even more interesting when one person can write a lyric about somebody else and that same "SOMEBODY ELSE" sings it!

Didn't Keith write most of the lyric for Mixed Emotions (aka Mick's Emotions)? The lyric basically says..let's put our feuding behind us and go out and tour........................and they did. winking smiley

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mixed Emotions (from Keno's page)

Button your lip baby
Button your coat
Let's go out dancing
Go for the throat
Let's bury the hatchet
Wipe out the past
Make love together
Stay on the path

You're not the only one
With mixed emotions
You're not the only ship
Adrift on this ocean

This coming and going
Is driving me nuts
This to-ing and fro-ing
Is hurting my guts
So get off the fence
It's creasing your butt
Life is a party
Let's get out and strut

You're not the only one
That's feeling lonesome
You're not the only one
With mixed emotions

You're not the only one
You're not the only one
You're not the only one
You're not the only one

Let's grab the world
By the scruff of the neck
And drink it down deeply
Let's love it to death
So button your lip
And button your coat
Let's go out dancing
Let's rock 'n' roll

You're not the only one
With mixed emotions
You're not the only ship
Adrift on this ocean
You're not the only one
That's feeling lonesome
You're not the only one
With mixed emotions

I heard an AKA of 'Mick's demotion' about this one.............

It didn't look that to me when I saw the Urban jungle tour in 1990, that tour was Mick's baby - first conceived in Japan & Australia in 1988.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 5, 2011 21:53

Doxa's larger post in this thread NAILED my thought's exactly.
VERY well done man!
smoking smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 5, 2011 22:01

mtaylor
elunsi
Doxa

I don't think any such thing. The reissues and the films of past concerts are just a way of extracting more revenue without having to create anything new. Much like having a garage sale of old things you find stored in the attic or cellar.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 5, 2011 22:03

Bliss
mtaylor
elunsi
Doxa

I don't think any such thing. The reissues and the films of past concerts are just a way of extracting more revenue without having to create anything new. Much like having a garage sale of old things you find stored in the attic or cellar.
The money they get out of it is "peanuts".

Date: October 5, 2011 22:12

proudmary
mtaylor
elunsi
Doxa

Absolutely.
And what does Richards do at this time? He wrote a book about himsel, now he's recording a solo album and getting ready for the documentary biopic by Depp.
What's funny - a considerable part of the fans calls Jagger "to return to the Stones"

Well let's be fair Mary...he's doing the solo album because Mick is giving him (deservedly), the cold shoulder.

At least Keith is doing something while he waits for Mick to pull (or not pull) the trigger.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 5, 2011 22:24

proudmary
mtaylor
elunsi
Doxa

Absolutely.

Well, to answer to you all and clear up some confusion that was caused by my unclear expression. The context I was claiming about not Mick "caring" about the Stones was the 80's when he didn't any longer saw the band as his main vehicle of artistic expression, or to say it other way, a means to cope with the times and trends. Before that The Stones was his art. He used the Stones for anything he could musically do. After going solo his attitude changed towards his 'old' vehicle of expression. He turned the band into a kind of musical fax exhibition or a museum. A cash machine. The substance - music - was cemented since that was the best way to sell the product to nostalgy-hungry audiences. And that was a huge and wealthy audience. He put all his energy to non-musical elements - huge stages, theatrics, etc. - and to stay fit in order to give this peter pan expression of himself. I really doubt how much he cared for legacy - maybe he does that now when finally opened up teh vaults and released the gems of the past.. but after milking out, say, 20 years of his past. But if we look the Stones output since the 80's - how many even close to classical or hit-like songs there are? None. Only the die-hard fans think any of the albums - four? - are any worth remembering. Throwaway half-baked, old-cliche based albums to sell the tours. I wonder if Jagger even remembers their titles now (if they weren't the same as the tours...). The only album where are some decent, interesting kind of songs, is the one that was aimed to be a solo album....

It looks like the Stones fans have a short memory. Like we have been treated with Deluxe albums (EXILE, SOME GIRLS, YAYA'S),or classical live movies (LADYS & GENTS,TEXAS 1978) for ages now. Bloody hell, it was not only about three years ago when we all here were crying for these kind of releases. The argument was: why the hell The Stones do not care about their legacy and release these kind of gems? To let the people know what a might band they once were. This kind of 'taking care of the legacy' is a VERY recent action by mr. Jagger. Nice that he now cares.. perhaps that is the only action he is any longer able to do with the Stones these days. Actually that he was hinting in that Spanish interview (the way Stones "exists" now ).

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-05 23:12 by Doxa.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 5, 2011 22:33

treaclefingers
proudmary
mtaylor
elunsi
Doxa

Absolutely.

Well let's be fair Mary...he's doing the solo album because Mick is giving him (deservedly), the cold shoulder.

At least Keith is doing something while he waits for Mick to pull (or not pull) the trigger.

I think the opposite is true. Richards began to make his album once he finished the promotion of the book. He wants his album to coincide with the 50th anniversary. and Depp's documentary also will be released next year.
Therefore Mick does not know what to do

Date: October 5, 2011 22:43

proudmary
treaclefingers
proudmary
mtaylor
elunsi
Doxa

Absolutely.

I think the opposite is true. Richards began to make his album once he finished the promotion of the book. He wants his album to coincide with the 50th anniversary. and Depp's documentary also will be released next year.

Keith started the book project in 2007, and Mick started recording with Superheavy in 2009. Keith is recording now, and Mick has film plans.

It´s not as black and white as you describe, imo, but I agree it looks a bit tricky to solve this.

However, we don´t know anything about the plans Keith has for his recordings.

Date: October 5, 2011 22:48

EddieByword
sweet neo con

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I heard an AKA of 'Mick's demotion' about this one.............

It didn't look that to me when I saw the Urban jungle tour in 1990, that tour was Mick's baby - first conceived in Japan & Australia in 1988.

I've never heard it called Mick's Demotion...obviously that wouldn't make sense (as you pointed out). Mick's promotion..maybe. winking smiley I think I actually saw video of Keith winking and calling it "Mick's Emotions". Seems Mick DID write the complete lyric..so my first post on this thread seems to be incorrect.

Found this on Songfacts.com.....not sure how true it is...

This is believed to be Mick Jagger's response to Keith Richard's solo track "You Don't Move Me," which was a dig on Mick. Jagger claims this is about a girl and has nothing to do with Richards.
Richards referred to this as "Mick's Emotions," believing it was about his feud with Jagger.

Keith Richards: "I think we cut that in Montserrat, an island that no longer exists. That smoldering heap of volcanic eruptions. And we were the last guys to cut there. That was the last record anybody cut there. It's what happens when you work with The Stones. They got a hurricane and then it erupted. It was a pretty island once. With "Mixed Emotions" I think I had the music and I went to Mick and said, bring your bit to it. Because it's a two-way street a lot of the time. I mean there was a time when Mick and I used to write face-to-face all the time. But we were on the road then. Now we can bring ideas to each other and sometimes it's strange - we hadn't seen each other for maybe 5 or 6 months and we get together and funny enough, we'd each have written a piece of music that actually fits together even though we haven't been in communication with each other." (thanks, Bertrand - Paris, France)

Date: October 6, 2011 00:51

DandelionPowderman
proudmary
treaclefingers
proudmary
mtaylor
elunsi
Doxa

Absolutely.

Keith started the book project in 2007, and Mick started recording with Superheavy in 2009. Keith is recording now, and Mick has film plans.

It´s not as black and white as you describe, imo, but I agree it looks a bit tricky to solve this.

However, we don´t know anything about the plans Keith has for his recordings.

I think I already stated this in another post, however if Mick faxed Keith the fall tour schedule for 2012, Keith would be jumping up and down, and you'd see your Wino's project deferred for Christmas 2015.

PM, you know Mick holds all the cards here, so while we can blame Keith all we want for his book, it is up to MJ as to whether and when there will be a tour.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 6, 2011 01:21

treaclefingers
he waits for Mick to pull the trigger.

smiling smiley ... or pull his finger

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: October 6, 2011 01:40

Rolling Hansie
treaclefingers
he waits for Mick to pull the trigger.

smiling smiley ... or pull his finger

What is that nasty odor anyway?!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1552
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home