Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Jagger: Musician
Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 24, 2017 01:00

What are your thoughts on Mick Jagger as a musician?
Some observations and questions:
Harmonica is his best instrument but when did he first become proficient. You read about Keith and Brian jamming in that little flat for months on end -- when did Mick do that?
As a singer, I think he had a powerful voice and a sense of style right from the beginning. I think he worked very hard at it over the years and was maybe at his best on IORR and B&B in the mid-70s. His backup vocals (backing himself, with two or sometimes even more tracks) are excellent.
As a live singer, I think he was better when the stage was smaller, less so when he is running around.
As a guitar player, I know Keith is always turning him down; on the other hand, he did write Brown Sugar and Sway and some others so at the very least he could write a song on guitar. The story is that Keith taught him how to play; truth or legend?
Piano is supposed to be what he plays the most. I've read he likes to write on piano. I think most songwriters do.
I don't think he's ever played bass or drums on a record, but he is probably a good percussionist.

Re: Mick Jagger: Musician
Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: January 24, 2017 01:28

Songwriter for me is his greatest strength second only to his total ownership of the blueprint for Rock front man.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 24, 2017 01:37

I love it when he plays acoustic guitar. I think the vocals are often better when he's doing this too. I like the way you said everything about his voice. I think Brian the better more soulful and driving harp player if there was to be a comparison, but he obviously does fine; and i saw an old clip recently where he was playing harp live really early on and Brian was on guitar. i really liked the maracas thing early on; that Bo Diddley beat, he really nailed that. it looked and sounded great; was exciting and grounding at the same time. He did hand percussion on the Brown Sugar recording, that in itself is way above my pay grade to try to critique. It's a master goove; a shining driven lazy ass swinging hot groove and he wrote the guitar riff in an open tuning too; case closed, he's a pretty good musician haha not a technical one; i don't think that interests him that much. oh yeh that's him on Back Of My Hand, one of my really enduring favorites from ABB; I was surprised to find out that was him.

Date: January 24, 2017 01:46

wonderboy
What are your thoughts on Mick Jagger as a musician?
Some observations and questions:
Harmonica is his best instrument but when did he first become proficient. You read about Keith and Brian jamming in that little flat for months on end -- when did Mick do that?
As a singer, I think he had a powerful voice and a sense of style right from the beginning. I think he worked very hard at it over the years and was maybe at his best on IORR and B&B in the mid-70s. His backup vocals (backing himself, with two or sometimes even more tracks) are excellent.
As a live singer, I think he was better when the stage was smaller, less so when he is running around.
As a guitar player, I know Keith is always turning him down; on the other hand, he did write Brown Sugar and Sway and some others so at the very least he could write a song on guitar. The story is that Keith taught him how to play; truth or legend?
Piano is supposed to be what he plays the most. I've read he likes to write on piano. I think most songwriters do.
I don't think he's ever played bass or drums on a record, but he is probably a good percussionist.

He played quite a lot of bass on ABB.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 24, 2017 01:57

Are you writing a book Wonderboy?

I swooned (again) but last night w/ Jagger in his 70's blah blah blah.

But to your list, acoustic guitar > age 70 'Girl w/ Far Away Eyes' Zipcode 2015
Maraca skills.
Navigating a cheery picker.
Man handling various large balloons.
Fending off woman's lingerie.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: January 24, 2017 01:58

I really like his harmonica playing.

A quick thought about his singing - the last few years (some of the tracks on the Some Girls bonus disc for example) I really haven't not been happy how he was singing, but on this new Blues album he sounds great!

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 24, 2017 02:00

35love

Nah, just making conversation.

Date: January 24, 2017 02:25

thumbs up
wonderboy
35love

Nah, just making conversation.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: January 24, 2017 02:28

Lynd8
I really like his harmonica playing.

A quick thought about his singing - the last few years (some of the tracks on the Some Girls bonus disc for example) I really haven't not been happy how he was singing, but on this new Blues album he sounds great!

Yeah, he was always sort of affected, which is part of the charm, of course, but in recent years he was starting to seem like he was doing his very best Mick Jagger imitation. On B&L he managed to dial it way down and just sing.

Date: January 24, 2017 03:35

I don't even like this song and love this clip:
Far Away Eyes Nashville Zip 2015
[youtu.be]
Is the acoustic playing any good I dunno and I don't care
Keith's back up singing beautiful
Jagger distinguished
southern male singer.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: January 24, 2017 04:59

He plays bass on several tracks on A Bigger Bang

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: January 24, 2017 06:07

And on his Best of Collection on Rhino...

He played Bass on "Charmed Life".

I happen to think he is one of the most rounded musicians out there.
The guy plays everything...jack of all trades...master of none is the saying...
but I will say a new saying..."master of jack of all trades".

Pecman

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 24, 2017 06:13

he couldn't have written what he's written if he weren't a talented musician....and his singing isn't the only thing that's amazing on B & L in response to someone before...

Date: January 24, 2017 08:50

I have always preferred his harp playing over Brian's. Yes Brian was incredible. But more cerebral. More towards the Stevie Wonder style of playing: of perfect single notes, even chromatic runs. Jagger nowadays can do all that. When you see him really settle in for a solo, like on CYHMK he is amazing. But I love the very early reverbed howling like "Money".

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 24, 2017 09:24

As a musician he has indeed learned a trick or two during the years.
Mick Jagger is obviously not a technical wonder of anything, but he is original in his approaches, be it vocals or in performing. There is a reason why Marroon 5 wrote a song called "Move Like Jagger". He has written so many great songs, but of course in collaboration with Keith.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: January 24, 2017 10:08

Harmonica is great on B and L and if the voice is a musical instrument his vocals are better than ever.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: January 24, 2017 11:54

It's taken a long time for his musicianship to be appreciated. As a guitarist, he's often hard to hear, but when you can hear him, he's got a wicked sense of rhythm. That also shows on the tunes he played bass on for ABB. Not bad on piano either and his harmonica skills are obviously well praised.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: January 24, 2017 14:45

Talking about Jagger being a musician, that's only one side of the coin. Till date he knows how to manipulate his audience in favour of the Stones, what a frontman. His voice, regardless who he plays with, unmistakably reminds us of the Stones. As a guitarist, certainly in the studio, he knows how to play in an effective way, able to sound like Richards in some cases. A great songwriter. And he's very good at playing the harp. He didn't hesitate to collaborate with other (great) musicians that many Stones fans stay away from, either cause they don't like the music or out of jealousy. Think of his solo projects in the 8-tees and 9-tees.

Besides he's a splendid diplomat and businessman. If it wasn't for Mick Jagger, the Stones would have been on the rocks for decades already.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 24, 2017 16:29

MJ is a great blues singer, a great harp player and an underrated rhythm guitarist.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 24, 2017 17:05

He's a solid guitar player. That means he's good. He's not awesome but he's good. He can play rhythm just fine, whether it's on acoustic or electric, no matter what Keith says. Of course he learned from Keith - that's why the intro of Sad Sad Sad sounds so good. Or Doom And Gloom. And Sway. Stop Breaking Down. Crazy Mama. There needs to be a Keith-less Stones Songs thread.

He's got some good rhythm too. From GIMME SHELTER where he's playing Come In My Kitchen (I think) - has this bizarre lag of a rhythm that he learned from listening to Robert Johnson and it's probably safe to guess some other blues artists.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 25, 2017 05:36

vertigojoe
Songwriter for me is his greatest strength second only to his total ownership of the blueprint for Rock front man.

I would agree...you've nailed that. Which is not to say he is a bad musician.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 29, 2017 04:20

TheflyingDutchman
Talking about Jagger being a musician, that's only one side of the coin. Till date he knows how to manipulate his audience in favour of the Stones, what a frontman. His voice, regardless who he plays with, unmistakably reminds us of the Stones. As a guitarist, certainly in the studio, he knows how to play in an effective way, able to sound like Richards in some cases. A great songwriter. And he's very good at playing the harp. He didn't hesitate to collaborate with other (great) musicians that many Stones fans stay away from, either cause they don't like the music or out of jealousy. Think of his solo projects in the 8-tees and 9-tees.

Besides he's a splendid diplomat and businessman. If it wasn't for Mick Jagger, the Stones would have been on the rocks for decades already.
And indeed Prince Rupert Loewenstein.

Date: January 29, 2017 12:40

Yes, I do think what gets overshadowed sometimes is just how phenomenal a songwriter he is. "Sticky Fingers" has him all over it.
Electric guitar: as simplified as it sounds - I do think he got most of it from Keith. Seeing him on electric in Shine a Light film playing "Some Girls", it is Jagger, but I can hear plenty Keith in there too. Or early on : "Highway Child".

We haven't mentioned his main thing: his singing. How many superb takes has he done? How many rockn roll classics have his vocal stamp on it? It's his delivery, his interpretation, his accents. And the different personas he adapts. This is part producing, part writing, part performance.

Date: January 29, 2017 22:36

Some of the greatest musicians were able to create their own, unique voice. When people are exposed to it, they instantly know who's playing or singing. Not many have that the ability.

Mick's singing and harp playing is on this level. Keith's guitar playing as well, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-30 01:14 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 29, 2017 23:37

Mick has developed into a premier harmonica player..

So much so that his sound is identifiable before you know for certain it's him..
Case in point.. he did a track on Don Henley's latest album Cass County.

Two of my all time faves (Mick and Lucinda Williams) guested on the album so I bought hot off the presses. Thought it would be fun to listen to without knowing which tracks and knew immediately when I heard Mick's distinctive sound on the instrument before I heard his voice. His proficiency on harmonica is a large part of what makes B&L such a huge hit...imho

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 30, 2017 09:55

When speaking about the early ABB recrdings with just himself and Mick, Keith coomented that Micks's also a pretty decent drummer .

Date: January 30, 2017 11:18

Spud
When speaking about the early ABB recrdings with just himself and Mick, Keith coomented that Micks's also a pretty decent drummer .

According to Chuck, Mick should never be allowed to count in songs, because he does it differently all the time smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 30, 2017 18:02

Pecman
And on his Best of Collection on Rhino...

He played Bass on "Charmed Life".

Yeah... no. Another one of those songs that are horrible. The same guy that wrote Let's Work wrote Charmed Life. No surprise there!

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: January 30, 2017 22:28

THIS IS ALL OPINIONS>>>>

I think Keith has hyped Mick's harp playing...he is no where near Little Walter. that is just BS like the Muddy painting story or Ronnie at Hyde Park.

Ronnie for example has more skills as a harp player. better technical skills. Uses his tongue better.

that said I enjoy what Mick plays it is just not elite level stuff

Mick is a great song writer and great singer on record (Crazy mama!) and can play a few instruments pretty well. he is of course a one of a kind performer.

I have been most impressed with his guitar playing in video clips like showing Ike Turner open G tuning (then the next Ike n Tina record Ike only played in G...) or that slide blues sound check thing I have seen.

Date: January 30, 2017 23:25

dadrob
THIS IS ALL OPINIONS>>>>

I think Keith has hyped Mick's harp playing...he is no where near Little Walter. that is just BS like the Muddy painting story or Ronnie at Hyde Park.

Ronnie for example has more skills as a harp player. better technical skills. Uses his tongue better.

that said I enjoy what Mick plays it is just not elite level stuff

Mick is a great song writer and great singer on record (Crazy mama!) and can play a few instruments pretty well. he is of course a one of a kind performer.

I have been most impressed with his guitar playing in video clips like showing Ike Turner open G tuning (then the next Ike n Tina record Ike only played in G...) or that slide blues sound check thing I have seen.

Are you preferring technical skills to soulfulness and uniqueness?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1248
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home