Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: more Jagger solo?
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 7, 2011 14:58

You do not like him so much that you do not want him to perform on stage until the end of his life?

Sure but no silk-capes and SuperHeavy...

2 1 2 0

Date: October 9, 2011 03:40

"Hard" is the track that will i. am just recorded with Mick and Jennifer Lopez. The audio track that's circulating online stems from will i. am's club appearance earlier this week where he previewed this and two other new tracks he recently recorded (without Mick). "Hard" will be included on The Black-Eyed Pea's forthcoming solo album, BLACK EINSTEIN currently scheduled for release in February from UMG's Interscope Records label (run by Jimmy Iovine). There is talk that the album's release may be moved up to late this year.

So there is no Mick solo album in the works, just another canny move on Mick's part to try and reach audiences who only know of him from the recent "Moves Like Jagger" and "Swagger Jagger" hits. Much like SuperHeavy has made enormous inroad into markets where the Stones are less well known such as the Far East this seems more like a smart move to penetrate new markets than it does a cynical attempt to stay relevant. From that perspective, some of the ire that has come Mick's way over the years (going back to "Miss You") might seem worthy of re-evaluation. The guy who doesn't want to grow up might actually be the guy who tried to give his career longevity by staying current as well as maintaining his core audience. Just a thought.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 10, 2011 13:44

.....So there is no Mick solo album in the works.....

I think it's time for Mick to do a solo album. Richards is making his but I can not stand his voice, so for me it is not even a choice. I want something Stones-ey and Mick's solo is the only option.
I'm sure now that there is no any recording future for the Stones as a band - max. some gigs to mark the 50th ann-y

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 10, 2011 15:57

"I've Got a Feeling" this Black-Eyed-Peas-ification is scary. "State Of Shock" revisited. And Jimmy Iovine hasn't produced anything in the studio since the Eurythmics "We Too Are One" from 1989. And now as he is the boss of sorts of Universal Music, he is supposed to head back into the studio? I don't think so.
But he tried U2 into talking with Black-Eyed Peas and David Guetta before. I guess Guetta/Jagger is next. This is so 80s.

As much as I'd like another new Jagger solo album, it should not be a dance album.

Date: October 10, 2011 16:18

billwebster

As much as I'd like another new Jagger solo album, it should not be a dance album.

Totally agree. This time, I would like something more substantial. I like his numerous facets, now is the time to show the face

Date: October 10, 2011 16:38

I don't think Iovine was producing. He runs Interscope Records. It's like seeing a photo of Ahmet with the Stones in the seventies. He's checking on what's being done. Jagger is just doing session work for will i. am. Enjoy it or not, that's all it is. I thought Jagger's vocals were terrific even if the music isn't my thing.

Proud Mary, I believe we will have an album's worth (at least) of "new" Stones culled from sessions stretching back 20 years or so released next year. But that's next year, let's enjoy what they've unearthed from the SOME GIRLS sessions and see how much is vintage and what has 2011 touches added. It isn't all doom and gloom.

Date: October 10, 2011 16:53

WilliamPatrickMaynard
I don't think Iovine was producing. He runs Interscope Records. It's like seeing a photo of Ahmet with the Stones in the seventies. He's checking on what's being done. Jagger is just doing session work for will i. am. Enjoy it or not, that's all it is. I thought Jagger's vocals were terrific even if the music isn't my thing.

Proud Mary, I believe we will have an album's worth (at least) of "new" Stones culled from sessions stretching back 20 years or so released next year. But that's next year, let's enjoy what they've unearthed from the SOME GIRLS sessions and see how much is vintage and what has 2011 touches added. It isn't all doom and gloom.

thumbs up

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 10, 2011 17:01

WilliamPatrickMaynard
let's enjoy what they've unearthed from the SOME GIRLS sessions and see how much is vintage and what has 2011 touches added. It isn't all doom and gloom.

the amount of doom and gloom is in direction proportion to the amount of 2011 touches.

Date: October 10, 2011 17:05

All depends on what we get. Allegedly "Fiji Jim" had new lyrics and vocals added at the time they did "So Young." That would turn out fine I imagine. As for 2011 overdubs, if it was comparable to "Pass the Wine" or "Plundered My Soul" I wouldn't complain. Happily, I think SOME GIRLS offers more selections and more structure than EXILE did.

Date: October 10, 2011 17:10

WilliamPatrickMaynard
All depends on what we get. Allegedly "Fiji Jim" had new lyrics and vocals added at the time they did "So Young." That would turn out fine I imagine. As for 2011 overdubs, if it was comparable to "Pass the Wine" or "Plundered My Soul" I wouldn't complain. Happily, I think SOME GIRLS offers more selections and more structure than EXILE did.

i think it's prudent to keep expectations extremely low...it's a strategy that has worked very well for me lo these past coupla decades...

Date: October 10, 2011 17:16

Aw, your just worried because you heard that will i. am has prepared a new hip-hop club version of the outtake, "Disco Music" as the first single and video from SOME GIRLS DELUXE.

Date: October 10, 2011 17:18

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Aw, your just worried because you heard that will i. am has prepared a new hip-hop club version of the outtake, "Disco Music" as the first single and video from SOME GIRLS DELUXE.

actually - that could be a highlight. i like to hip and hop around a bit sometimes.

Date: October 10, 2011 17:20

StonesTod
WilliamPatrickMaynard

i think it's prudent to keep expectations extremely low...it's a strategy that has worked very well for me lo these past coupla decades...

Might I add that the same strategy has done wonders for Keith

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 10, 2011 22:16

thanks highwirec for putting those mick and the red devils clips up.

i was on you tube watching them just the other day,did you see the ones with gary moore?

keith should be thanking his lucky stars that mick never used gary moore or stevie ray vaughn for his solo records in the 80s.or even that he didnt release the red devils recordings.

he'd be forever known as renee richards,jaggers bitch.

Date: October 10, 2011 22:47

Had Mick worked with Stevie Ray in the eighties, I suspect the results would have been remarkably similar to Bowie's LET'S DANCE. Hardly something for Keith to worry about.

The idea of Mick with Jeff Beck or Joe Satriani should have been better than the reality was, too. I don't think "Just Another Night" despite Beck's technical proficiency somehow shamed Keith or the band, do you?

While I enjoy Mick's show with Gary Moore and his sessions with The Red Devils at no point do I think they rival the Chess sessions in 1964. Competent blues tributes no better or worse than the Jimmie Rodgers or BB King sessions that followed later in the decade. For my ears at least, they seem rather lifeless compared to the fire and enthusiasm of the youthful Stones let loose in the same studio that their heroes recorded in.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 10, 2011 23:01

he worked with gary moore and it´s nice indeed

Date: October 11, 2011 21:20

micks strength is blues and straight ahead rock and roll but he always uses his solo stuff for different kinds of music.
on his website there is a rundown of each solo disc and what sound he was looking for and the reason he used the different musicians.

wandering spirit is the only one where he used a more stones style approach,the rest of the time he's done it with one hand tied behind his back.

that red devils record destroys anything the stones have put out either solo or as a band since 1981 and the gary moore thing is so good its ridiculous.to think ronnie or keith could play guitar that well you'd have to be delusional.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 11, 2011 21:26

proudmary
I've seen in recent years at Dylan, McCartney, Paul Simon, Marianne Faithfull, Debbie Harry, Leonard Cohen, Iggy Pop and Bryan Ferry. I want to see Jagger - is this abnormal desire?
You do not like him so much that you do not want him to perform on stage until the end of his life?
'
Are you seriously suggesting that youre so desperate for entertainment from this man that you'd actually get pleasure out of watching a 90 year old Mick Jagger, drooling and barely able to walk or remember the words to 60-70 year old songs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-11 21:27 by Gazza.

Date: October 11, 2011 21:27

lem motlow

he'd be forever known as renee richards,jaggers bitch.

Nice,lem motlow. You're on fire

Date: October 11, 2011 22:38

lem motlow
micks strength is blues and straight ahead rock and roll but he always uses his solo stuff for different kinds of music. on his website there is a rundown of each solo disc and what sound he was looking for and the reason he used the different musicians. wandering spirit is the only one where he used a more stones style approach,the rest of the time he's done it with one hand tied behind his back. that red devils record destroys anything the stones have put out either solo or as a band since 1981 and the gary moore thing is so good its ridiculous.to think ronnie or keith could play guitar that well you'd have to be delusional.

While WANDERING SPIRIT is far and away my favorite Mick solo album and a definite post-1981 career highlight, I was rather disappointed that his first two solo albums didn't feature greater chemistry with Jeff Beck. The same with the tours with Satriani. Likewise the blues show with Gary Moore or the sessions with The Red Devils, while nice never struck me as Mick at the top of his game. This isn't because Keith isn't involved. I felt the same way about Mick and Keith with B. B. King or with Jimmy Rodgers a few years after that.

I'm not saying anything about the technical proficiency of Beck or Satriani or Moore, etc. In all cases, Jagger and the respective players sound like they're going through the motions playing Stones covers or blues covers by the book. Compare the results to the chemistry generated when Mick was paired with Ry Cooder on "Memo From Turner" or with Jesse Ed Davis on "Too Many Cooks (Spoil the Soup)" and that's what is missing.

His work with Jimmy Rip on WANDERING SPIRIT approaches and sometimes hits that same mark, but otherwise I'd probably rather he stretch out for his solo work as he usually does. The songwriting for most of PRIMITIVE COOL was solid (I'd say his best of the eighties since UNDERCOVER). GODDESS for me was hit and miss, but I felt the same way about his work with the Stones for the past decade, too. I think of "Old Habits Die Hard" and "The Blind Leading the Blind" as highlights. They don't rely on fire power musically, but came across as effective in every way that "Streets of Love" or (to my ears) "Following the River" fail to do so.

Ultimately, though I don't think we have a difference of opinion (or that someone who disagrees with you is "delusional") so much as we're evaluating the work from two different perspectives. For me, how good a player Beck or Satriani or Moore might be doesn't matter if Jagger doesn't loosen up with them. That's what I loved about his Grammy appearance earlier this year. That's what I respond to in the passion of his vocal on a crappy techno hip-hop song I'd otherwise never listen to. I'll take that over the disappointment of Mick and Jeff Beck or whoever failing to create magic together.

Date: October 11, 2011 23:13

at the time they were working with jagger in the 80's jeff beck and satriani were doing mostly instrumental records that owed more to jazz than anything.

they had both moved beyond blues based rock and roll which is most likely why mick hired them.if he was gonna do a rock or blues record he would have just done it with the stones.

the red devils and gary moore are an entirly different story.he didnt use them for any official release but my point was that had he wanted to they wouldve shown the stones up in a big way.

there is just no way the stones from the 80s forward possess that kind of playing ability.my guess is that mick was afraid if he put out a blues rock record using some of these people it may have destroyed the "rolling stones" brand.
jagger blasting away at full throttle with the red devils or gary moore would've made the guys putting out steel wheels and dirty work look a bit silly.

Date: October 11, 2011 23:46

Gazza
proudmary
I've seen in recent years at Dylan, McCartney, Paul Simon, Marianne Faithfull, Debbie Harry, Leonard Cohen, Iggy Pop and Bryan Ferry. I want to see Jagger - is this abnormal desire?
'
Are you seriously suggesting that youre so desperate for entertainment from this man that you'd actually get pleasure out of watching a 90 year old Mick Jagger, drooling and barely able to walk or remember the words to 60-70 year old songs?

You haven't been here for while. Glad to hear from you.
Dunno about 20 years, but I would love to see Jagger on stage in the next couple of years.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: October 11, 2011 23:57

Forgive me, but the Red Devil's stuff is kind of boring. I can see why he was told that he could do better.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 11, 2011 23:57

lem motlow

there is just no way the stones from the 80s forward possess that kind of playing ability.my guess is that mick was afraid if he put out a blues rock record using some of these people it may have destroyed the "rolling stones" brand.
jagger blasting away at full throttle with the red devils or gary moore would've made the guys putting out steel wheels and dirty work look a bit silly.

I agree on that. I wish Jagger would have had the guts to do it anyway.

Date: October 12, 2011 00:21

Trouble is if he didn't write material worthy of their "firepower," how would it have turned out any differently when all was said and done? Jagger wrote most of STEEL WHEELS and wrote more of the lyrics for DIRTY WORK than Keith likes to give him credit for. All you would have had were solo albums where critics said "despite the talent involved..."

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 12, 2011 00:27

proudmary
.....So there is no Mick solo album in the works.....

I think it's time for Mick to do a solo album. Richards is making his but I can not stand his voice, so for me it is not even a choice. I want something Stones-ey and Mick's solo is the only option.
I'm sure now that there is no any recording future for the Stones as a band - max. some gigs to mark the 50th ann-y

I'd prefer a new Stones album, or new SH album over a new MJ album...I'm a little gunshy after Goddess in the Doorway.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 12, 2011 00:29

lem motlow
at the time they were working with jagger in the 80's jeff beck and satriani were doing mostly instrumental records that owed more to jazz than anything.

they had both moved beyond blues based rock and roll which is most likely why mick hired them.if he was gonna do a rock or blues record he would have just done it with the stones.

the red devils and gary moore are an entirly different story.he didnt use them for any official release but my point was that had he wanted to they wouldve shown the stones up in a big way.

I think you're right....we'd probably have had WWIV about 15 years early too!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 12, 2011 01:05

mickschix
Very strange idea of what a fool is, indeed.....that FOOL has been the ONLY reason we still have the Rolling Stones. ( I guess we're not entirely sure that they are still a band at this point).

"Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool that follows him?"

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 12, 2011 01:20

WilliamPatrickMaynard

Jagger wrote most of STEEL WHEELS and wrote more of the lyrics for DIRTY WORK than Keith likes to give him credit for. All you would have had were solo albums where critics said "despite the talent involved..."

Sure they couldn't envision that. Fossilised brains.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 12, 2011 18:27

"Mick Jagger and the Red Devils" will make for a great archive release once the artist is retired. It's his creative retirement fund of sorts. It should be released one day, but not now.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1736
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home