Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Carly Simon says she co-wrote TILL THE NEXT GOODBYE with the intention that she and Mick sing it as a duet.
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 28, 2011 05:02

I'm reading the new biography JAGGER: REBEL, ROCK STAR, RAMBLER, ROGUE by Marc Spitz and it includes (on p. 191) the following quote by Carly Simon about Mick:

CARLY SIMON: "We wrote a song together that became a song on the Stones' next album called TILL THE NEXT GOODBYE. I thought that that was going to be a joint venture, but I'd never heard from Mick about how he'd like me to share the royalties. It's the very least I can do to thank Mick for turning what could of been an ordinary record [YOU'RE SO VAIN on which Mick sang backing vocals] into an iconic huge song for me over the years—so, my god, let him take all of my songs and say that he wrote them."

Preceding the above quote, Spitz writes about their writing TILL THE NEXT GOODBYE: "She and Mick worked on another song in the studio that night, fooling around at the piano between takes, and nearly came up with another duet."

P.S. Regarding Mick's backing vocals on YOU'RE SO VAIN, Carly Simon said, "His part is fantastic. It's iconic. It brings the record over the line." And the author adds, "Simon was so inspired by Mick's contribution that she later rerecorded her lead vocals."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-28 09:44 by Title5Take1.

Re: Carly Simon says she co-wrote TILL THE NEXT GOODBYE with the intention that she and Mick sing it as a duet.
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 28, 2011 05:36

isn't she also Mick's muse in Memmory Motel...

Re: Carly Simon says she co-wrote TILL THE NEXT GOODBYE with the intention that she and Mick sing it as a duet.
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 28, 2011 05:41

isn't mark spitz a swimmer or something?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 28, 2011 05:47

Re: CSimon-"I thought that that was going to be a joint venture, but I'd never heard from Mick about how he'd like me to share the royalties. It's the very least I can do to thank Mick for turning what could of been an ordinary record [YOU'RE SO VAIN on which Mick sang backing vocals] into an iconic huge song for me over the years—so, my god, let him take all of my songs and say that he wrote them."

I can't tell if she's being sarcastic here. any more context to this quote?
When she mentions Mick not contacting her about royalties...... why mention that if it wasn't on her mind?
And I don't think Mick's backing vocals made YOU'RE SO VAIN iconic........so I think she's using hyperbole to make
her point.

If she's saying...i helped him (writing) and he helped me (backing vocals) out...fine.

The lyrics are fairly simplistic anyway...

TILL THE NEXT GOODBYE
(M. Jagger/K. Richards) *from Keno

Honey, is there any place that you would like to eat?
I know a coffee shop down on Fifty-Second Street
And I don't need no fancy food and I don't need no fancy wine
And I sure don't need the tears you cry
Till the next time we say goodbye
I'll be thinking of you
I'll be thinking of you

Yeah, a movie house on Forty-Second Street
Ain't a very lovely place for you and I to meet
Watching the snow swirl around your hair and around your feet
And I'm thinking to myself she surely looks a treat
Till the next time that we kiss goodnight
I'll be thinking of you
I'll be thinking of you

I can't go on like this, can ya? Can ya?
I can't go on like this, can ya?

You give me a cure all from New Orleans
Now that's a recipe I sure do need
Some cider vinegar and some elderberry wine
May cure all your ills, but it can't cure mine
Your Lou'siana recipes have let me down
Your Lou'siana recipes have surely let me down
Drink to it
I'll be thinking of you
I'll be thinking of you

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-28 05:52 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: September 28, 2011 05:54

Did Mick receive royalties for his contribution to You're So Vain?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 28, 2011 06:22

No he was a uncredited performer on the track.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: September 28, 2011 07:17

She was at Stones hotel for the opener of a ABB in Boston.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-28 07:17 by georgeV.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 28, 2011 12:47

J.J.Flash
isn't mark spitz a swimmer or something?

[www.iorr.org] smiling smiley

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: September 28, 2011 14:09

Same book that says Stevie Wonder toured with the Stones on the back of Superstition as a hit, Earls Court and Knebworth were in 1975, Micks 30th birthday was in 1972, Peter Tosh signed to RSR in 1980, Dirty Work began recording after Live Aid etc.....

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 28, 2011 15:52

sweet neo con
Re: CSimon-"I thought that that was going to be a joint venture, but I'd never heard from Mick about how he'd like me to share the royalties. It's the very least I can do to thank Mick for turning what could of been an ordinary record [YOU'RE SO VAIN on which Mick sang backing vocals] into an iconic huge song for me over the years—so, my god, let him take all of my songs and say that he wrote them."

When she mentions Mick not contacting her about royalties...... why mention that if it wasn't on her mind?
And I don't think Mick's backing vocals made YOU'RE SO VAIN iconic........so I think she's using hyperbole to make
her point.

If she's saying...i helped him (writing) and he helped me (backing vocals) out...fine.

The lyrics are fairly simplistic anyway...

Not "sarcastic," the word is wry.

I've always loved the track as recorded for IORR, have listened to it a thousand times, and have only now grasped the lyrics as an obvious duet.

I like the way she handles the revelation: She tells the tale, then wittily and gently--wryly, I would say--points out that she wasn't credited or paid for the song. Then, worrying that she sounds a tad bitter, she defuses the whole thing by graciously overstating Jagger's contribution to "You're So Vain."

Carly's a class act all the way. I've seen her up in the front rows and backstage at at least five Stones shows "back up in Boston," so any lingering resentment seems to have dissipated. Or is that just a tribute to Mick's long-ago (?) technique?

Also: "Simplistic" lyrics? I love the NYC and New Orleans details and the ambiguity of the title phrase...

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 28, 2011 16:22

The GR
Same book that says Stevie Wonder toured with the Stones on the back of Superstition as a hit, Earls Court and Knebworth were in 1975, Micks 30th birthday was in 1972, Peter Tosh signed to RSR in 1980, Dirty Work began recording after Live Aid etc.....

Very factual this book.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 28, 2011 16:40

Love TTNG and YSV.

Date: September 28, 2011 16:44

sweet neo con
her point.

You're So Vain is iconic...the epitome of iconic...it's the first time Jagger appears uncredited on a pop song even...it was a huge hit, and it's part of what defines her career.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 28, 2011 16:57

As long as we're all coming clean...I Co-Wrote "Losing Your Touch" with Keith intending it as a duet. He eventually wrote my part out of it "Losing your touch way too much..." and made some changes calling it "Losing My Touch"

True story

I never received royalties and in fact had to purchase the damn CD myself.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 28, 2011 17:18

Rip This
sweet neo con
her point.

You're So Vain is iconic...the epitome of iconic...it's the first time Jagger appears uncredited on a pop song even...it was a huge hit, and it's part of what defines her career.

Iconic yes...but not BECAUSE MJ sang backing vocals. It was a huge it and huge for her career.....but most people
did not know and still don't know that MJ appears on it.

And Rev. Robert....I think you are correct. Wry is probably more accurate than sarcasm.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 28, 2011 17:34

first time i heard you're so vain was in early 80's and was new to stones music as well but knew jagger's voice and could tell what time period it was recorded right away

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 28, 2011 17:34

When 'Vain" was released in Dec 72 AM radio still ruled the airwaves for the most part and it was HEAVILY promoted with Jagger on b/u vocals. Everyone knew it before the song was even premiered. I remember the dj (yes, they actually had someone to introduce songs and physically drop the needle on vinyl!!) would talk about Jagger singing on it before each airplay....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-28 17:35 by scottkeef.

Date: September 28, 2011 17:37

...no it's exactly because Jagger sang uncredited on the single.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 28, 2011 17:58

Isn't that Miss Jagger singing along at 01:55 ?
Great version imo.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: September 28, 2011 18:08

it is a crap song anyway

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 28, 2011 18:11

Rip This

So thats why Memory Motel sucks. (I was actually thinking about that track yesterday. I remember people on this board, and others, being psyched about them bringing it out for the first time live. That song, Indian Girl and Sweet Neo Con are some of the worst Stones compositions of all time.)

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 28, 2011 23:05

double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-28 23:07 by stupidguy2.

Date: September 28, 2011 23:06

stupidguy2
scottkeef
When 'Vain" was released in Dec 72 AM radio still ruled the airwaves for the most part and it was HEAVILY promoted with Jagger on b/u vocals. Everyone knew it before the song was even premiered. I remember the dj (yes, they actually had someone to introduce songs and physically drop the needle on vinyl!!) would talk about Jagger singing on it before each airplay....

It was was huge. Back then, music was not as splintered into genres...if something was a hit, everyone knew it, whether you heard it on the radio, watched it on some show or heard it while you were at Macy's.
My 19-year niece recently heard that song and asked, 'Is that Mick Jagger?' -
I wondered how she knew...she said, 'You can tell...'
I was 7,8 in 1973 and you could argue that "You're So Vain" was my introduction to Mick Jagger.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 28, 2011 23:32

stupidguy2
stupidguy2
scottkeef

It was was huge. Back then, music was not as splintered into genres...if something was a hit, everyone knew it, whether you heard it on the radio, watched it on some show or heard it while you were at Macy's.
I was 7,8 in 1973 and you could argue that "You're So Vain" was my introduction to Mick Jagger.

The same with the uncredited performance of "I Can Feel The Fire"...when I heard that I thought his vocals were amazingly rock n roll.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 28, 2011 23:44

Title5Take1
It's the very least I can do to thank Mick for turning what could of been an ordinary record

Is this English ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 29, 2011 00:15

........................... nice jaw-line ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 29, 2011 00:24

flacnvinyl
Rip This

So thats why Memory Motel sucks. (I was actually thinking about that track yesterday. I remember people on this board, and others, being psyched about them bringing it out for the first time live. That song, Indian Girl and Sweet Neo Con are some of the worst Stones compositions of all time.)

I was only psyched about Dave Matthews...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 29, 2011 00:37

rocker1
Did Mick receive royalties for his contribution to You're So Vain?

whitem8
No he was a uncredited performer on the track.

True, I read an interview w/ Mick once and this was brought up, and he said something like "If I knew it was going to be such a big hit I would have insisted I get credited."

sweet neo con
Iconic yes...but not BECAUSE MJ sang backing vocals. It was a huge it and huge for her career.....but most people
did not know and still don't know that MJ appears on it.

Also very true. Whenever I hear this song, I always mention it to anyone around me and I always get the same "I never knew that!" response. I myself did not know it for a few years until another Stones fan pointed it out, and then I listened more closely and was able to hear Mick.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: September 29, 2011 00:43

I wrote Satisfaction, Brown Sugar and jumpin' Jack Flash. I want my royalties, too. smileys with beer

Date: September 29, 2011 05:33

Munichhilton
stupidguy2
stupidguy2
scottkeef

The same with the uncredited performance of "I Can Feel The Fire"...when I heard that I thought his vocals were amazingly rock n roll.

My favorite non-Stones Jagger vocal. I love Ronnie, but Mick makes this song come alive.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2582
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home