Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: What is So Wrong with Overdubbing?
Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 25, 2011 12:29

thewatchman
Rockman
....chicks wear make-up ....

Thank God for that!

Years ago, an acquaintance whose wife had just left him said to me, "Why do women wear makeup and perfume? Because they're ugly, and they smell bad!" Sorry ya feel that way, pal.

Date: September 25, 2011 12:37

Sleepy City
DragonSky
Monkey Man from the Licks tour was amazingly brilliant and true to the LP version.

I wonder how this would've sounded if they'd attempted it live in '69 or '71? Better or worse?

I'm guessing that it would have been rearranged drastically, as they tended to do in those days. They'd have done something like chopping the whole LP version intro section and replaced it with the riff from the "I'm a monkey man" section.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: September 25, 2011 15:40

DragonSky
Monkey Man from the Licks tour was amazingly brilliant and true to the LP version.
You've got to be kidding me! The piano part is totally botched...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 25, 2011 16:15

Nothing! Go ahead and dub my day!

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 25, 2011 19:18

FreeBird
DragonSky

It was? The intro? Seemed fine to me - even if it is that Leavell guy.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 25, 2011 22:00

DragonSky
FreeBird
DragonSky

Can't even remember it from that tour, but it was great in '94 I thought... probably better than the studio version in a way, thanks to Lisa Fischer's "Gimme shelter" type harmony.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 26, 2011 01:13

I just bought the St Paul 2005 bootleg and all the boots I got ain't got nooverdubs, and they are GREAT!! From 1968 right up until London 2007 you ain't gonna need no overdubs

Date: September 26, 2011 01:20

MadMax
I just bought the St Paul 2005 bootleg and all the boots I got ain't got nooverdubs, and they are GREAT!! From 1968 right up until London 2007 you ain't gonna need no overdubs

Didn't need any from 1963 to 1967 either.

Date: September 26, 2011 02:59

DragonSky
FreeBird
DragonSky

The intro was "just" mediocre, but the way the songs ends is truly awful. He doesn't even try to play the same notes...

Date: September 26, 2011 09:58

FreeBird
DragonSky
FreeBird
DragonSky

The intro was "just" mediocre, but the way the songs ends is truly awful. He doesn't even try to play the same notes...

In other words if Chuck plays the same notes as on the record he's "mediocre", & if he plays something different he's "wrong"...

Date: September 26, 2011 10:13

Sleepy City
FreeBird
DragonSky
FreeBird
DragonSky

In other words if Chuck plays the same notes as on the record he's "mediocre", & if he plays something different he's "wrong"...

There you have it, the Chuck Leavell conundrum in a nutshell. Whatever he does is wrong. Just ain't no pleasing some folks.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 26, 2011 10:14

Sleepy City
MadMax

No, because they used studio tracks with audience noise....

Mathijs

Date: September 26, 2011 10:16

Mathijs
Sleepy City
MadMax

Mathijs

Very convincingly judging by my Paris '65 / '66 / '67 & Honolulu '66 bootlegs...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 26, 2011 13:11

Sleepy City
Mathijs
Sleepy City
MadMax

Mathijs

Very convincingly judging by my Paris '65 / '66 / '67 & Honolulu '66 bootlegs...

We're talking official releases here...

Mathijs

Date: September 26, 2011 13:18

Mathijs
Sleepy City
Mathijs
Sleepy City
MadMax

Mathijs

We're talking official releases here...

Mathijs

The original poster was talking about bootlegs too...

Anyway, surely the GLIYWI 1965 EP (not the 1966 LP) is totally live?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 26, 2011 15:01

Sleepy City

The thread starter talked about official releases...and it´s very unlikely they overdub some bootlegs
remaining unreleased when they don´t even do some overdubs themselves on their official releases recently.

Date: September 26, 2011 15:24

shortfatfanny
Sleepy City

The thread starter talked about official releases...and it´s very unlikely they overdub some bootlegs
remaining unreleased when they don´t even do some overdubs themselves on their official releases recently.

No, they get their roadies to do the overdubbing for them instead.

Date: September 26, 2011 15:45

Sleepy City
FreeBird
DragonSky
FreeBird
DragonSky

That's pretty much it. I generally don't like his piano arrangements (I'm assuming they're his), but even when he plays the same notes (which he doesn't do very often), he doesn't even come close to Nicky Hopkins. I think Street Fighting Man on Stripped is just about the only example of good live playing by him, as a far as official releases go, anyway.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 26, 2011 17:32

Sleepy City
DragonSky

I wonder how this would've sounded if they'd attempted it live in '69 or '71? Better or worse?

Better because they cant play Monkey Man like the studio version and that means they have to "rewrite" it live, like they did up until 1981. Theyve never even been close to the studio version of Monkey Man and I dont blame them, its not possible to create that majestic blast live. Also its a song that demands perfection from Keith total control over ryhthm and no, the backups cant sing "Im a monkey", it sounds stupid, Mick does it great on Let it bleed.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 26, 2011 17:51

Date: September 26, 2011 17:56

While I understand the argument against overdubbing live albums as being disingenous, they certainly did us all a favor by removing Billy Preston's ray-gun effects from "Brown Sugar" while putting together LOVE YOU LIVE.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: September 26, 2011 18:01

WilliamPatrickMaynard
While I understand the argument against overdubbing live albums as being disingenous, they certainly did us all a favor by removing Billy Preston's ray-gun effects from "Brown Sugar" while putting together LOVE YOU LIVE.

Ok, you got me there. Can we make a distinction between edits and overdubs? Either way, it's still not an accurate representation of what happened...but as you suggest, for many of us, it would have been unlistenable over time had the synth stayed in...

Date: September 26, 2011 18:10

Either way, I pointed out the exception to the rule. I generally hate edits even more than overdubs, but there are times where both have improved a live album and that's probably what tricks them into carrying on to the point of excess.

To be fair, the band suffered from the same problem with studio recordings as bootlegs have revealed superior early takes or mixes that lost some of their charm by the time the album was finished. The latter was their pursuit of perfectionism proving their undoing. More recently, the edits and overdubs on live albums have been so heavy-handed as to suggest a contempt for fans or their own work. I understand the theory that Mick and Keith couldn't be bothered to listen to LIVE LICKS or else it would never have been approved, but what about Don Was? I suspect in more recent times an attitude of "good enough" is more to blame than anything else.

Date: September 26, 2011 18:32

WilliamPatrickMaynard
To be fair, the band suffered from the same problem with studio recordings as bootlegs have revealed superior early takes or mixes that lost some of their charm by the time the album was finished. The latter was their pursuit of perfectionism proving their undoing.

That's the downside of having a band completely in control of the production & mixing protest. They should have the courage to leave that entirely in the hands of a good producer, & just go in & play.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 26, 2011 18:52

DragonSky
flacnvinyl
Seriously, how is this a question? Many of the recordings we all love have 'fixes' but that doesn't make it right. I'll take the raw HBO live feed from 2002 over anything on 'Live Licks'... They edited Brown Sugar????!?!?! What the hell'/??!?!?@?!@!1 There was absolutely NOTHING wrong with Brown Sugar, but they edited stuff out. Same with Rocks Off... BUTCHERING.

Unfortunately it was - well, maybe it wasn't but it could be they wanted to fit as much on it as possible. Whoever 'they' are. That version of Brown Sugar is actually quite good - and they somewhat neutered it. They used the Twickenham Street Fighting man when the Madison Square Garden version is superior? That made no sense to me. Then again, look at the artwork for the album. The whole thing reeks of a cheap job. Like shoving your friend in a wood chipper instead of neatly dealing with the body: it might be easier to grind 'em up but it's such a mess.

That horrible Rocks Off edit pretty much shows that they must've been consistent in screwing that part of the song up if they just didn't use another recording from whatever other shows. Or they were just too lazy to find another one.

Considering how butchered it is it might as well of been left off the album.

I was at the Twickenham show and SFM was awesome that night.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1686
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home