Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: hal ashby movie
Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: November 3, 2011 15:02

Gazza
jpasc95
i know he's dead but does it have to do with the re editing ?
you need to have the original tapes with complete songs, bought the rights and then re edit.

Everything. It's HIS movie.

The amount of work and expense put in to re-issuing a movie with the songs restored to full length (if the tapes still exist, which isnt so sure) and overcoming any legal obstacles regarding rights would not be remotely offset by sales, which would be very low.
ok then, if they couldn't find the original tapes, it would have been more interesting to release a dvd or blu ray of a complete 81 show like Hampton or Seattle or any other location.

Posted by: adrianmfa2 ()
Date: November 3, 2011 15:12

Sjouke
Just received the BlueRay version of this movie. Absolutely perfect image and sound, better than the DVD that is around...

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

sjouke

Are your version the limited edition, with extra material?

Date: November 3, 2011 15:19

adrianmfa2
Sjouke
Just received the BlueRay version of this movie. Absolutely perfect image and sound, better than the DVD that is around...

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

sjouke

there is no extra material or bonus.
on the blu ray, you have the movie in blu ray quality (16:9 1080P) and the movie in 4:3 format.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: November 3, 2011 15:20

[/quote]
on the blu ray, you have the movie in blu ray quality (16:9 1080P) and the movie in 4:3 format.[/quote]

... and with correct speed I presume?

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: adrianmfa2 ()
Date: November 3, 2011 15:28

jpasc95
adrianmfa2
Sjouke

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

sjouke

there is no extra material or bonus.
on the blu ray, you have the movie in blu ray quality (16:9 1080P) and the movie in 4:3 format.

I'm just talking about i've read on the japanese page, who's made a reference about an extra material on first release on 4:3 format.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 3, 2011 15:37

jpasc95
Gazza
jpasc95
you need to have the original tapes with complete songs, bought the rights and then re edit.

The amount of work and expense put in to re-issuing a movie with the songs restored to full length (if the tapes still exist, which isnt so sure) and overcoming any legal obstacles regarding rights would not be remotely offset by sales, which would be very low.
ok then, if they couldn't find the original tapes, it would have been more interesting to release a dvd or blu ray of a complete 81 show like Hampton or Seattle or any other location.

That would certainly

a) be less hassle to put together
b) be more cost effective
c) appeal more to fans
and
d) make more of a profit.

So, I dont expect it to happen!

Hampton'81 really is a 'must-release' for the future. Especially as the show was never broadcast outside North America and most fans worldwide would never have seen it.

Date: November 3, 2011 15:58

Greg
on the blu ray, you have the movie in blu ray quality (16:9 1080P) and the movie in 4:3 format.[/quote]

... and with correct speed I presume?[/quote]
yes sure !

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: November 7, 2011 09:48

Yeah - I'm a huge Stones fan, but LSTNT was a let-down, not because of the Stones performance but because of the sloppy editing, chopping out intros, solos and entire verses, and the sound mix was horrible. How did the Stones approve it's release? I saw the Stones in '81 and I know their sound was so much more powerful than the way this movie sounded. Maybe it was mixed on speakers that were nothing like the speakers that movie theaters use; who knows. At least we finally got Shine A Light, which I think is a great performance and sounds good as well. haven't been able to see the new '78 film yet. sad smiley BTW - I've seen youtube clips of other Stones shows from '81 that looked professionally filmed and sounded much better than Ashyby's film. They should have released one of those gigs as a movie instead.

Date: November 7, 2011 10:22

stonesdan60
Yeah - I'm a huge Stones fan, but LSTNT was a let-down, not because of the Stones performance but because of the sloppy editing, chopping out intros, solos and entire verses, and the sound mix was horrible. How did the Stones approve it's release? I saw the Stones in '81 and I know their sound was so much more powerful than the way this movie sounded. Maybe it was mixed on speakers that were nothing like the speakers that movie theaters use; who knows. At least we finally got Shine A Light, which I think is a great performance and sounds good as well. haven't been able to see the new '78 film yet. sad smiley BTW - I've seen youtube clips of other Stones shows from '81 that looked professionally filmed and sounded much better than Ashyby's film. They should have released one of those gigs as a movie instead.
yes and the result is that non Stones fans who bought this one must have been probably deceived by the sloppy editing and will never buy another DVD or blu ray of the band.
like you, I wonder how the Stones accepted this average release.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: November 7, 2011 10:30

When this came out it was on tape it was great to see a concert show in your living room,Video Recorders were still pretty rare ,and the format war was still to be resolved,I had a Betamax at the time with wired remote control,I got the first copy from the local Video Rental store,I was off work with some virus and bored out of my brain.
Imagine my surprise to find Let's Spend The Night Together in the music section of the rental store,took it out for a week and played it to death,good cure for a virus.
Eventually found a copy for sale on Betamax,still got the tape ,not the player though,since bought it on VHS and DVD.
So even though there are faults and edits in there not everybody approves of,I think for it's time it's a great piece of musical theatre,and at that time the only one available to buy in such good quality.

Re: hal ashbery movie
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 7, 2011 10:53

WorriedAboutYou
Still get goosebumps for that version of Under My Thumb. Best lineup of the band and sounding absolutely on fire. Love it.

Yep, it does it for me EVERY time I play it/listen to it thumbs up cool smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: November 9, 2011 12:16

jpasc95
stonesdan60

yes and the result is that non Stones fans who bought this one must have been probably deceived by the sloppy editing and will never buy another DVD or blu ray of the band.

Yeah - but despite my being let down by the sound mix and sloppy edits, I do like the movie somewhat as it is a momento of my seeing the Stones in '81; favorite musical memory I'll never forget. General admission on the field. We managed to squeeze up so close to the stage at Philly's JFK Stadium that I could actually make out the Marlboro logo on Keith's cig pack. It was the first show of the tour and nowhere near as great as they would play later in the tour, but it was still great. Mistakes were made, intros were botched, but they still rocked, the sound was POWERFUL and most of all, it was incredibly fun being so close. I'll never forget them starting Let it Bleed in two different keys. The intro sounded horrible. They had to just stop in front of 100,000 people. Mick said, "Woody, Woody, Woody!" Ron was close enough to a mic, that I could hear him say, "I thought we rehearsed it in 'G'" or something to that effect. The Stones were smiling and laughing and so was the crowd. They started over and it was one of the best songs of the day. I'll never forget the chery picker. Mick was right over my head. I could see the whites of his eyes as he threw rose petals on the crowd. Not as "pro" as they sounded on later tours but a hell of a good time. Sadly, LSTNT doesn't do the tour justice. Still Life sounds better but still doesn't sound as good as they actually did on that tour. Great memories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-09 12:17 by stonesdan60.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: November 9, 2011 12:25

I thought 1973 was a good year to see the Stones. sound sucked but after all, we were ALL rebellious! Great gig in memory.... I enjoyed every live concert I saw after that.... Even the one with Mick Jagger without the band. I'm not so precious to admit the music was polished! If Keith had come to New Zealand I would have seen him too. Don't judge the 80's from today- you're showing your young age!!!!!

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: October 4, 2013 08:34

Given the original length of some of the songs I can understand that the inclusion of unedited versions was not an option. I think the movie was great for it's time.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: October 4, 2013 09:22

stonesdan60
jpasc95
stonesdan60

Yeah - but despite my being let down by the sound mix and sloppy edits, I do like the movie somewhat as it is a momento of my seeing the Stones in '81; favorite musical memory I'll never forget. General admission on the field. We managed to squeeze up so close to the stage at Philly's JFK Stadium that I could actually make out the Marlboro logo on Keith's cig pack. It was the first show of the tour and nowhere near as great as they would play later in the tour, but it was still great. Mistakes were made, intros were botched, but they still rocked, the sound was POWERFUL and most of all, it was incredibly fun being so close. I'll never forget them starting Let it Bleed in two different keys. The intro sounded horrible. They had to just stop in front of 100,000 people. Mick said, "Woody, Woody, Woody!" Ron was close enough to a mic, that I could hear him say, "I thought we rehearsed it in 'G'" or something to that effect. The Stones were smiling and laughing and so was the crowd. They started over and it was one of the best songs of the day. I'll never forget the chery picker. Mick was right over my head. I could see the whites of his eyes as he threw rose petals on the crowd. Not as "pro" as they sounded on later tours but a hell of a good time. Sadly, LSTNT doesn't do the tour justice. Still Life sounds better but still doesn't sound as good as they actually did on that tour. Great memories.

Such nice memories, thanks for sharing. I remember watching LSTNT and looking at the crowds faces and thinking where are those people now, after all these years. Well, I guess some are on IORR smiling smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 4, 2013 11:30

Britney
Given the original length of some of the songs I can understand that the inclusion of unedited versions was not an option. I think the movie was great for it's time.
I think that too smiling smiley

Loved seeing these live shows and I liked the movie, I still like watching and listening to it. On a side note they made a movie a while back where (they say) Hal was parodied by Christopher Walken, it was interesting to watch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-04 11:32 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 4, 2013 12:10

The only time I've had a good experience with this movie was prior to a Stones gig in Bergen in 2006.

I was partying with my friends, and so were the rest of the town. All of a sudden they put LSTNT on, really loud!

It was a fantastic warm up to the show later on.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 4, 2013 13:19

Gazza
jpasc95
Gazza
jpasc95

That would certainly

a) be less hassle to put together
b) be more cost effective
c) appeal more to fans
and
d) make more of a profit.

So, I dont expect it to happen!

Hampton'81 really is a 'must-release' for the future. Especially as the show was never broadcast outside North America and most fans worldwide would never have seen it.

Would love this to happen.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 4, 2013 13:55

Sleepy City
Stoneage
Did go through some trouble to get this VHS.

It was £44.95 when first released on VHS, a LOT of money in 1984 (my weekly wages was under £80!). I heard of a place in London's west end where they were selling them for just £39.95, so got a train there specially. Within a few months it had gone down to £19.95... & a few months after that it could be bought anywhere for £9.95.

Exactly my recollections . Fifty quid for a bleedin' video !.[It got chewed up about six months later too and I replaced it with a recording from the telly when it was broadcast one new years eve on the BBC ]

I also remember popping to see it at the Cinema for a seconmd time one afternoon...and I was the only person in the house !

My main gripe with the film is the way it's speeded up.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 4, 2013 19:00

My first 'stones concert' of sorts. Saw it on a saturday night inthe theatre...i guess it was just released, 1982, with friends the day after an 'actual' concert, the Kinks.

Great memories...very much enjoyed it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-04 19:23 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 4, 2013 19:16

Once I saw Hampton '81, I never wanted to see LSTNT again.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 4, 2013 19:17

does anybody have a dvd copy (good one) of hampton 81 .will pay!

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: October 4, 2013 21:18

I'd gladly sort you out with a copy TheGreek but my DVD burner has died. Mine came off a torrent - can you do those?

Posted by: straycatdevil ()
Date: October 5, 2013 00:13

They should release the shows filmed for LSTNT. I have the "new" stereo soundboards of all three jersey shows and the first night (nov 5th) blows hampton away performance wise. They did a hot version of down the road apiece and a red hot all down the line. Most of the first jersey show is what appears in the indoor part of the movie. WAY better than hampton.RELEASE THIS STUFF!!!

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: October 5, 2013 00:54

Glad Bill could make time for the concert after the track meet.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 5, 2013 01:07

WorriedAboutYou
Best lineup of the band

Lol.

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: October 5, 2013 01:10

straycatdevil
They should release the shows filmed for LSTNT. I have the "new" stereo soundboards of all three jersey shows and the first night (nov 5th) blows hampton away performance wise. They did a hot version of down the road apiece and a red hot all down the line. Most of the first jersey show is what appears in the indoor part of the movie. WAY better than hampton.RELEASE THIS STUFF!!!
Please share this stuff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-05 01:10 by Godxofxrock9.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: October 5, 2013 02:11

I have a copy on vcd 2 disk with packaging if anyone wants to trade with me

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1757
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home