Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Sympathy For The Devil live 1989 - today
Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: November 23, 2016 00:35

Sympathy For The Devil is a song that changed a lot in some ways over the years when it was/is played live. The rythm of the song changed along with the whole atmosphere.

Before 1989 Sympathy was rarely played, well, a few hundret times in the early 70s I believe, but it was played with a guitar intro rather than with the pre recorded drum intro they use since Steel Wheels.

Let's start at the beginning of the new Stones in 1989/1990. The song "2000 Light Years From Home" introdruced the song again to a live audience with a mystical feeling and weird piano and guitar sounds leading into the rising sound of the drum intro and then building up the whole song until it explodes and keeps the energy level up until the end of the song - and the show. Keith is especially doing an extremly long solo as Mick skips the "Kennedy-part" and it's filled with monster soli by the master.

A great example from 1989: [www.youtube.com]

1994/1995 shows the Stones mystic again on the Voodoo Lounge tour and nothing much changes in that song apart from a slightly different intro (the lights are red since the beginning of the song) with the bass turning in very early in the song and a short piano solo before Keith's solo spot as well as a pre-recorded short video with a rythmic saxophone (?) line before the drums start.

Oh yes, and the Kennedy line is back.

That version can be seen here: [www.youtube.com]

1997 changed something on the appearance of the song. It starts right along with the Stones moving back to the main stage from the newly introduced B-stage - well, nearly all the Stones - Mick stays at the B-stage for a second.
When the drum intro starts everything is dark-blue in the whole concert venue and then cool piano parts by Chuck and a sexy beat by Charly take the song up to another level. With the continuing beat Mick moves to the main stages and starts to sing the first lines. The first "Pleased To meet you..." makes the stage turning into pure red and the song is on fire.

This is a famous video of the 1997 version: [www.youtube.com]

A little change happens in 1999 when the song is played as an encore and the end part is extended for quite some minutes and filled with a heavy trumpet line.

The 2002/2003 tour shows a more softly played version of the song which I think was supposed to sound very near to the original song tape (apart from Mick skipping the Kennedy-line from now on) as Mick makes some "Hugh" sounds at the beginnings. As on the 1997/8/9 tours the stage remains dark blue for the beginning of the song which keeps the mystic feeling.
More piano and less as well as softer sounding lead guitars change the atmosphere of the song a bit as it has not this attacking and guitar-heavy feeling which came across over the last tours.

The best example for the 2002/03 version is this one: [www.youtube.com]

After 2005 with the start of the Bigger Bang tour the song gets fully red stage lights from the beginning which did not change until today. Did this take away a part of this mystic feeling that created such a great feeling in the beginning of the song?
The drum intro sounds different and the first version in Boston, 2005 shows a version with a great energy level. This is not the case in all of the versions as Keith struggled to do solis of that kind he used to do but the rythmic background drums and beat keep the song alive. The Fall tour 2006 sees the best solis by Keith and amazing renditions of Sympathy again. Nevertheless in 2007 some of the live renditions have some parts where another guitar lick here and there would not have been bad.

A version from 2006: [www.youtube.com]

2012 to now shows a different intro. It is different to all of the other drum intros we had and I can not judge if it is better or not as good as the old ones. Mick comes onto the stage with a "gorilla cape" (Lately in a suit again) and starts to do the verses. In some versions you see the band really on fire while in others there is this feeling of something that is missing in the song - even if I'm not sure what it is. Bass ? Soli ? The rythm of the intro ?

The famous show at Glastonbury 2013: [www.youtube.com]

The amazing part about the Rolling Stones is that all renditions sound great live no matter how often Keith does a mistake and so on. That is the magic of the game.

But after all my unanswered question is if Sympathy could sound better with for example the 1997 intro and the heavy bass line or maybe even the horns?
The thing I miss most in nowadays renditions is the mystic intro when everything is dark.
Would the Stones still be able to pull off a version a'la 1997 and creating that feeling again? If so, they should try, the songs always sounds great but there may be some opportunitys that could make it sound even better...

Re: Sympathy For The Devil live 1989 - today
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 23, 2016 00:58

Stonesfan2146
Sympathy For The Devil is a song that changed a lot in some ways over the years when it was/is played live. The rythm of the song changed along with the whole atmosphere.

Before 1989 Sympathy was rarely played, well, a few hundret times in the early 70s I believe, but it was played with a guitar intro rather than with the pre recorded drum intro they use since Steel Wheels.

Let's start at the beginning of the new Stones in 1989/1990. The song "2000 Light Years From Home" introdruced the song again to a live audience with a mystical feeling and weird piano and guitar sounds leading into the rising sound of the drum intro and then building up the whole song until it explodes and keeps the energy level up until the end of the song - and the show. Keith is especially doing an extremly long solo as Mick skips the "Kennedy-part" and it's filled with monster soli by the master.

A great example from 1989: [www.youtube.com]

Great thread!

I was in the stadium in Philadelphia on that opening night (31st Aug 1989) when this style of performance of Sympathy was first performed for an audience.

It's hard to overstate the excitement of the evening. The stadium went quiet, the band started out into what was an unexpected rhythm, and then Mick appeared HIGH above the stadium on a tower with a spotlight behind him casting a shadow on the crowd across the stadium. Dancing. Gives me the shivers just to recall and write about it after all of these years. What a night!!

(As for the associated clip... watching the whole Atlantic City show is pretty good - including Eric on The Red Rooster.)

Date: November 23, 2016 02:05

I would say that ever since '89 SFTD has gone down, down. Up until then it was fierce.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 23, 2016 12:18

1989 was way too slick. I don´t like those versions.
Havana-Moon-version is great and so is the Shine-A-Light-version.
Keith´s guitar now is sounding dangerous again, in 1989 it sounded... well... slick and professional, without soul.

Date: November 23, 2016 12:20

HMS
Keith´s guitar now is sounding dangerous again, in 1989 it sounded... well... slick and professional, without soul.

His sound is slicker today.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: November 23, 2016 12:55

69-70-75 are the best versions (in 1989 the mix with "2000 light years from home" was good too because it was the first time).
After that things like pre-recorded drum, fireworks are made to fill the space in the stadiums, most of the people seeing the Stones like ants.
The last version let you some times to have a pee.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 23, 2016 13:07

I just wonder if 1989 tour would get Deluxe treatment as they did to Totally Stripped. Surely they have a lot of video for such a release. They can skip a re-made Flashpoint though winking smiley

Date: November 23, 2016 13:48

ironbelly
I just wonder if 1989 tour would get Deluxe treatment as they did to Totally Stripped. Surely they have a lot of video for such a release. They can skip a re-made Flashpoint though winking smiley

I doubt it, as they released Tokyo.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 23, 2016 15:14

Wow, thanks for this Stonesfan2146. That 1989 version has some monster power to it and Keith is a beast. But it does sound less intimate than Glastonbury, if that makes any sense. Honestly, the only thing I could do without now on this song is Mick doing his high pitched woo woos. It almost ruined the song for me in SAL.

BTW, cute to see Bill Wyman grinning from ear to ear surrounded by the back up girls in the Atlantic City show. smiling smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 23, 2016 18:12

DandelionPowderman
HMS

I'm sorry, but WHAT is your definition of "slick"?

If it's "tired and feeble", then yes, I agree. winking smiley

Keith actually played some remarkable lead guitar on the '89-'90 versions...extended fast, clean, smooth solo runs with taste and precision.

I think the indulgent length of the lead break back then was due to the late '80s being the height of the "guitar hero" era, where every hard rock and metal band mandated a shredding solo in their song. In that context, Keith flexing his lead chops for several minutes made sense.

Every tour since has been a crapshoot about whether or not he'd pull off something worth hearing, with the odds decreasing rapidly every tour.

Date: November 23, 2016 18:16

I've brought this up before, but I miss Charlie playing 16th notes with both hands on the hi hat on SFTD. It created such a frantic groove to the song.

I believe he stopped playing it this way on the Bigger Bang tour.

When he went back to playing a straight 4/4 beat with 8th notes on the hi hat, the song became more rhythmically sluggish.

Date: November 23, 2016 18:31

I was there in 1989 and again in Philly in June 2013...The thing I remember about 2013 was how loud and raunchy Keith was - it was a highlight to hear it play a little messy....

Date: November 24, 2016 04:15

keefriff99
I've brought this up before, but I miss Charlie playing 16th notes with both hands on the hi hat on SFTD. It created such a frantic groove to the song.

I believe he stopped playing it this way on the Bigger Bang tour.

When he went back to playing a straight 4/4 beat with 8th notes on the hi hat, the song became more rhythmically sluggish.

Good point.
And I can not speak for Dandy, but the way I read his comment was that he meant "slick" in a negative way; as in "tired and feeble". I think.

That is true about '89 being the first time. I remember Jagger appearing up on that freakin tower, and it was a mindblower. Bill does kind of steal the show there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-24 04:18 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: November 24, 2016 08:46

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
HMS

Keith actually played some remarkable lead guitar on the '89-'90 versions...extended fast, clean, smooth solo runs with taste and precision.

I think the indulgent length of the lead break back then was due to the late '80s being the height of the "guitar hero" era, where every hard rock and metal band mandated a shredding solo in their song. In that context, Keith flexing his lead chops for several minutes made sense.

Every tour since has been a crapshoot about whether or not he'd pull off something worth hearing, with the odds decreasing rapidly every tour.

His sound was dirtier and with more distortion in 1989.

Slick, as in slick and smooth. Less distortion, more treble, a cleaner and less noticeable sound.

Palace got me, a worse sound than in 1989 indeed. That's doesn't mean it's bad, though. There is still some power in that tank.

What does "tired" have to do with slick? smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-24 08:53 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 24, 2016 19:11

The version today is a very very tired and boring version of 1989-90. The silly drum loop sample and percussion sample are so long in the teeth that the teeth it had in 1989-90 fell out eons ago.

What made the 1989-90 version so cool was how different it was from the 1975-76 few times they played it versions (yet alone the gap in time between being played) with how fresh and different it was. An entirely new approach.

It was still good on the 1994-95 tours but they should've dropped it after that.

Keith can't play worth a shit for anything on it the past 4 years (hell, since 1997). It's extremely bad filler on live albums now (like SHINE A LIGHT needed anymore crap on it).

It's a bathroom break for anyone that has a brain.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 25, 2016 08:28

GasLightStreet

A bit tough judgment maybe, but what else can one say when one of the most, if not the most 'dangerous' song(s) in rock history has gradually turned into a family entertainment singalog? The band does not take the song serious anymore, and their
playing reflects that. It's a showbiz tune by now, good for the actual show with all the lights and smoke and flames, but hard to listen to on records. And how anyone like this HMS guy can praise the version on Shine A Light is beyond me unless it's meant purely satirical. But the Havana Moon version is indeed a tad better, I give him that.

Date: November 25, 2016 11:54

retired_dog
GasLightStreet

A bit tough judgment maybe, but what else can one say when one of the most, if not the most 'dangerous' song(s) in rock history has gradually turned into a family entertainment singalog? The band does not take the song serious anymore, and their
playing reflects that. It's a showbiz tune by now, good for the actual show with all the lights and smoke and flames, but hard to listen to on records. And how anyone like this HMS guy can praise the version on Shine A Light is beyond me unless it's meant purely satirical. But the Havana Moon version is indeed a tad better, I give him that.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: November 25, 2016 12:20

retired_dog
GasLightStreet

Very true.

I thought exactly the same at the last show at the O2 in London in 2007. During Sympathy For The Devil all the children of the band members' stepped on stage to sing the "whoo whoo" part. While it was a nice display of affection, I thought it didn't really fit the theme of the song.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 25, 2016 12:24

Devil rests in peace since 1975 (was it played at all in 1976?).

Only fond memory I have of a modern versions takes me back to Werchter 2007. Devil was the encore. Took the chance to start walking towards the rear of the venue so that I could be closer to the exit.

At the very end of the field there were was a beautiful young black girl - 20 years old or so - dancing, all alone, with her eyes closed. Her moves were so sensual that somehow there and then that stupid Devil loop started making sense!!!

C

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 25, 2016 12:45

I agree. The real devilish devil song was last heard and seen and felt in 1975/1976.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: November 25, 2016 12:48

Radio city Hall 2006, Jagger is amazing

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 25, 2016 14:51

I like recent versions better than the earlier versions of the 60s & 70s. It´a show-highlight and no way it´s a bathroom-break-song. Listen for example to the great version on SAL, if somebody wants to leave for a bathroom-break he must be seriously ill. And there were even a couple of better versions in 2012-16. Havana is extraordinary, a real treat.
Never heard or seen a weak version.
But Mick´s cloak is awful, somebody should burn it.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 25, 2016 15:07

60'ies an 70'ies is a rock band version. Later on is A Las Vegas band version

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: November 25, 2016 16:02

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-11 19:10 by UrbanSteel.

Date: November 25, 2016 16:43

UrbanSteel
Nobody noticed the reversed channels on Sympathy For The Devil from the Atlantic City 1989 youtube video, Keith on the left and Ronnie on the right. Every cd or dvd has the correct channels , Keith on the right, just a small detail. winking smiley

Except for the Tokyo 1990-LPs and CDs winking smiley

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: November 25, 2016 16:46

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-11 19:10 by UrbanSteel.

Date: November 25, 2016 17:51

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
HMS

His sound was dirtier and with more distortion in 1989.

Slick, as in slick and smooth. Less distortion, more treble, a cleaner and less noticeable sound.

Palace got me, a worse sound than in 1989 indeed. That's doesn't mean it's bad, though. There is still some power in that tank.

What does "tired" have to do with slick? smiling smiley
Well THAT makes sense. I didn't take your use of the word "slick" to be a pejorative.

Date: November 25, 2016 18:33

HMS
I like recent versions better than the earlier versions of the 60s & 70s. It´a show-highlight and no way it´s a bathroom-break-song. Listen for example to the great version on SAL, if somebody wants to leave for a bathroom-break he must be seriously ill. And there were even a couple of better versions in 2012-16. Havana is extraordinary, a real treat.

No one here has ever accused you of having a brain.

Date: November 25, 2016 18:48

GasLightStreet
HMS

No one here has ever accused you of having a brain.
Seriously. Even the absolute greatest versions of the song post-'89 don't compare to the Richards/Taylor versions, let alone the mid 70s.

Date: November 25, 2016 19:08

It's become their own live karaoke song.

The version on HAVANA MOON is better than the one on SHINE A LIGHT but not by much. They're practically the same version: the piano playing is a detractant on both versions (hell, on all of them!), just like Keith's soloing, which is better on HM than SAL.

They sound interchangeable. There's no reason to waste time listening to SFTD from anything post LOVE YOU LIVE.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home