Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Infamy
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 20, 2013 15:42

i quite like infamy.

its a bit bluesy and wouldnt have sounded out of place in the early-mid brian jones era.

its not nearly the worst stones song as some suggest.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: September 20, 2013 18:05

corriecas
JJHMick
You want a compromise?: If Mick had sung it, everybody would claim it's a highlight of the lp.

what medicine or mushrooms are you on.

Jeroen

Mushrooms? Yellow boletus and chanterelle (used to accompany my parents to search for them in the Woods).
Medicine? Lowest dosis for my thyroid gland.
Ok, I got your irony...
If you want the song be done serious then it must be Mick. If you want it to be the "Ringo-song" then Ronnie would have even been better than Keith.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 22, 2013 00:24

A failed "Ringo-song", that's it!>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-22 02:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 22, 2013 01:12

A tiresome track. Uninspired, lazy and a drag to the finish.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 1, 2015 01:55

LeonidP
One of my favorites on the album. Keith's vocals are top-notch, and what a great groove!

Just listened to this again today. Such a great track, for me anyway. Again, the groove of this is fantastic.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 1, 2015 02:37

I like this tune, can't believe people think it is one of the Stones worst. confused smiley

Keith's vocal delivery and phrasing is friggin' great, the sparse production is cool and Mick's harmonica is sweet. Simple works for this tune.

peace

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: January 1, 2015 06:59

Once again I am baffled at how diverse musical tastes can be among people who all like the same band. This is the one on ABB that first got me to press repeat. I distinctly remember my wife commenting on how cool that song was, and I remember exactly where I was driving while listening to it for the first time. I still like it, but there are some others that have grown on me that I didn't like initially. Let Me Down Slow is one that comes to mind. The first couple of pages on this thread uncovers a weird visceral hatred for this song. I don't get it.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 1, 2015 10:32

Boring and useless song

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 1, 2015 17:24

Wow, it took several sessions to record a total piece of crap. I wonder if it sounded better or worse as they went on from that first session.

Date: January 1, 2015 17:25

Naturalust
I like this tune, can't believe people think it is one of the Stones worst. confused smiley

Keith's vocal delivery and phrasing is friggin' great, the sparse production is cool and Mick's harmonica is sweet. Simple works for this tune.

peace

+1

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 1, 2015 18:44

Silver Dagger
Twenty five years ago this kind of meandering dirge, that drifts aimlessly in dire search of a melody, wouldn't have got a look in as a Stones release. On the last album it did. Need I say more?

No. You said everything that needs to be said and that possibly could be said about this tune and the obvious slip in songwriting abilities and quality control.

Date: January 1, 2015 19:43

alimente
Silver Dagger
Twenty five years ago this kind of meandering dirge, that drifts aimlessly in dire search of a melody, wouldn't have got a look in as a Stones release. On the last album it did. Need I say more?

No. You said everything that needs to be said and that possibly could be said about this tune and the obvious slip in songwriting abilities and quality control.

Like Just Wanna See His Face and Shattered?

Sometimes the groove just does it and works...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 1, 2015 19:49

DandelionPowderman
alimente
Silver Dagger

true, but in this case it doesn't. horrible song, worst on ABB put on for the sole purpose of giving him a second lead vocal. bad choice.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 1, 2015 21:10

I have misplaced my copy of the (vinyl) A BIGGER BANG. I wanted to remind myself before posting. Googled and found a socalled E-version of "Infamy". An instrumental with sparkling harmonica breaks. Those suited the song immensely, in my opinion. I quite like the song as it is, but the singing does not supply so much to the song. The band might have used that instrumental version to advantage. Maybe have supplied something else in addition, when the harmonica is not on, because from there and the coplay then, some dynamism emerges. In that case the Rolling Stones might have concluded this semi-great album with an instrumental track. I am unable to give links by my smartphone.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 2, 2015 04:07

DandelionPowderman
alimente
Silver Dagger

Not in this case. It sounds like The Cure with Robert Smith having a heavy cold... Jokes aside, unlike Just Wanna See His Face this does not groove at all and unlike Shattered there's nothing really interesting that deserves a second or even third listen. Honestly, I was quite shocked to find trash like this on a Stones album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-02 04:09 by alimente.

Date: January 2, 2015 10:28

alimente
DandelionPowderman
alimente
Silver Dagger

Not in this case. It sounds like The Cure with Robert Smith having a heavy cold... Jokes aside, unlike Just Wanna See His Face this does not groove at all and unlike Shattered there's nothing really interesting that deserves a second or even third listen. Honestly, I was quite shocked to find trash like this on a Stones album.

Musically, your comparison is a joke, for sure.

The thing that many of you fail to mention is that Keith indeed sings great on this one. Hard to admit?

Weel, you always have Streets Of Love and other chestnuts, if you find Infamy the worst song on the album...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-02 10:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: January 2, 2015 10:47

The Toronto club gig features a good version of it IMO. Don't get the hate, its a good track for mine.

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: January 2, 2015 15:32

The ones I regularly play off A Bigger Bang are Let Me Down Slow and Infamy.
Don't understand the hatred for this song, there are much worse songs on ABB for instance Sweet Neocon and Dangerous Beauty.

Infamy is a nice little tune and a welcome change from the usual slow Keith songs on the last Stones albums.

Pete.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 2, 2015 17:00

In no way whatsoever is Infamy the worst song on A BIGGER BANG. That belongs to the withering Streets Of Love, quickly followed up by Sweet Neo Con.

Although I don't care for Infamy - it's complete filler - it is hilarious. There's something funny about the tune. It's not a great or even good closing track to the last studio LP by The Rolling Stones. But it could be worse.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 2, 2015 17:31

GasLightStreet

It's not a great or even good closing track to the last studio LP by The Rolling Stones. But it could be worse.

Now when you put that so dramatically, makes me feel sad... It can't be much worser.. not a nice way to go...

But... in a way it is a self-explanatory track - it says why this needs to be end...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-02 17:33 by Doxa.

Date: January 2, 2015 17:37

Witness
I have misplaced my copy of the (vinyl) A BIGGER BANG. I wanted to remind myself before posting. Googled and found a socalled E-version of "Infamy". An instrumental with sparkling harmonica breaks. Those suited the song immensely, in my opinion. I quite like the song as it is, but the singing does not supply so much to the song. The band might have used that instrumental version to advantage. Maybe have supplied something else in addition, when the harmonica is not on, because from there and the coplay then, some dynamism emerges. In that case the Rolling Stones might have concluded this semi-great album with an instrumental track. I am unable to give links by my smartphone.

I think you may be on to something, and I'd like to hear the instrumental version alone.

Maybe it's just the vocal/lyrics that are ruining it for me.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 2, 2015 18:53

i like infamy . fun and cheesy lyrics and a nice groove !!!great delivery of the lyrics by Keef !!!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 2, 2015 19:11

treaclefingers
Witness

I think you may be on to something, and I'd like to hear the instrumental version alone.

If the link works, try this
[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 2, 2015 20:10

Witness
treaclefingers
Witness

If the link works, try this
[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for that Witness.

Sadly, I think it actually needs the vocal.

Don't like much about this at all, maybe the harmonica.

Date: September 30, 2023 04:57

This isn't such a bad song. Just heard a live version, and I get the riff, much better now. Hypnotic.
Makes me wish more songs from ABB had gotten a hardcore live workout. ABB is recorded/produced pretty badly. But this song, and 'Streets of Love' got lightyears better on stage.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 30, 2023 08:11

Doxa
GasLightStreet

It's not a great or even good closing track to the last studio LP by The Rolling Stones. But it could be worse.

Now when you put that so dramatically, makes me feel sad... It can't be much worser.. not a nice way to go...

But... in a way it is a self-explanatory track - it says why this needs to be end...

- Doxa

Well. A lot has changed, like the cost of groceries, since then... and now 8 years later.

Makes a little more sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-30 08:12 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: September 30, 2023 10:40

Dead boring song

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: September 30, 2023 10:49

.....not that bad...a groovy ssong..!

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: September 30, 2023 12:20

...and a good bass line....

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 30, 2023 12:53

Infamy, biggest load of lazy garbage to come from Keith, but he more than made up for it with CH his masterpiece.
Just found this clip showing Keith making a track from the album.
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-30 14:47 by keefriffhards.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1999
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home