Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: "Little Phil['s]" perceived slight by Macca
Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 20, 2016 06:37

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

What a dweeb, bringing his Beatles book to Buckingham Palace for McCartney to sign! Wrong time, wrong place. Should have saved it for when he was backstage at a McCartney show.

At that point, Phil had been having considerable smoke blown up his backside for decades. McCartney just had to remind him that, no matter how many records Phil sells and no matter how inescapable he was on the radio, he'll never be in McCartney's league.

Too bad Collins can't play drums anymore. In the day, he was among the best prog drummers.

Re: OT: "Little Phil['s]" perceived slight by Macca
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 20, 2016 08:08

It is a Collins' comeback publicity, nothing more. A bad one according to my taste.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 20, 2016 09:43

Oh dear. BV would ban me from IORR if I wrote what I really think about the Phil Collins' report.

Instead I'll counter with my own first hand impression of how Paul reacts to fans.

On the day I met him, he first of all posed for a crazy photo for me. Then later on, when he saw I was obviously waiting to have a word, he pushed away folk ushering him to another location and came over to talk to me. When I asked him to sign something ("for my daughter") he joked about it, and then got very interested in reading the (next) thing I asked him to sign for me. Even asking if I could get one of them for him!

There are two more angles to the story that are too long and Off Topic to post here, but my personal experience is that Paul is approachable and that he knows about and works on the details of public/fan relations.

PS. The "crazy photo" has to be the world's worst great photo of Paul posing. I was so astonished at the personal photo-op that I moved.... and the image is shamefully blurred and thus unusable.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 20, 2016 12:22

I'm no great fan of Macca but the likely truth is that his comments were a light hearted joke, taken the wrong way by a rather "chippy" Phil Collins.

W've all had our jokes taken the wrong way at some time or another.

Date: October 20, 2016 13:27

Happy24
It is a Collins' comeback publicity, nothing more. A bad one according to my taste.

True or not true, it's indeed a cheap shot just to sell his comeback. thumbs down

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 20, 2016 15:28

Poor Phil got mad because Paul took the piss out of him. That was pretty light from Paul, too; Phil should remember that all those guys (Beatles, especially John; and the Stones and other from that era) could be very rough with their humor.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: October 20, 2016 18:04

In all my years as a professional I never once asked for an autograph or photo op. It is trashy behavior. Keith did sign my amp once after I lent it to him, at first I was kind of put off that he marked up my Marshall. If you want to be respected by stars, be considered a peer, you lay off the crap that distracts artists while they're working or preparing to work. Fans of course can act as they please as long as they are respectful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-20 18:05 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: October 20, 2016 18:30

DoomandGloom
In all my years as a professional I never once asked for an autograph or photo op. It is trashy behavior. Keith did sign my amp once after I lent it to him, at first I was kind of put off that he marked up my Marshall. If you want to be respected by stars, be considered a peer, you lay off the crap that distracts artists while they're working or preparing to work. Fans of course can act as they please as long as they are respectful.

What a terribly narcissistic comment.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 20, 2016 19:29

DoomandGloom

Thumbs up. You respect yourself as an artist, that's cool.
I would go so far as to say that even fans should lay off the autographs unless there is a clear indication the famous person is there to sign. Even then, it should be something for kids.
The autograph transaction is a bit demeaning for both parties, imo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home