Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Some Girls Leftovers
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 15, 2011 22:42

JJHMick
Analyzing Gazza's list of the sessions from page 1 of this thread: Only the first session was used for the long player except Before They Make Me Run. This might mean that they were ready for a release until Keith (or who?) had the idea to revive the Keith solo spot.
This would be, of course, a purist's approach to the re-release, leaving session 2 and so on for new versions of Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You.

I think the RCA sessions were a case of them stockpiling tracks which could have had vocals added later if Keith went to jail. Its not beyond the realms of possibility that they may have taken a similar long view to the 2nd Paris session, although I'd also imagine quite a few overdubs would have been done in that session too.

Then again, they recorded a ridiculous amount of songs for Emotional Rescue as well, so it may be simply explained as a case of them being very inspired and prolific.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: September 15, 2011 22:53

Yeah, you're probably right, although the 2 takes are quite different to my ears. The long and slow version also has extra lyrics on the bridge which the short one doesn't, which is kind of strange if the long one came first.

I've never heard any instrumental version either.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: September 15, 2011 23:51

Gazza
JJHMick
Analyzing Gazza's list of the sessions from page 1 of this thread: Only the first session was used for the long player except Before They Make Me Run. This might mean that they were ready for a release until Keith (or who?) had the idea to revive the Keith solo spot.
This would be, of course, a purist's approach to the re-release, leaving session 2 and so on for new versions of Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You.

I think the RCA sessions were a case of them stockpiling tracks which could have had vocals added later if Keith went to jail. Its not beyond the realms of possibility that they may have taken a similar long view to the 2nd Paris session, although I'd also imagine quite a few overdubs would have been done in that session too.

Then again, they recorded a ridiculous amount of songs for Emotional Rescue as well, so it may be simply explained as a case of them being very inspired and prolific.

Yeah they did and that seems to get overlooked by the general media and people when they revisit this period of the Stones. Their take is always that ER was made up of SG leftovers and outtakes, which just isn't true. Looking back it might've been cool if the band would've released an EP of some of the RCA session tracks in early '79 as a sort of stopgap between SG and ER. EP's were popular in late 70's-early '80s, a lot of bands were releasing them.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 17, 2011 01:10

WilliamPatrickMaynard

My guess for the track listing is:

1. "Munich Hilton" (retitled with new lyrics and vocal)
2. "Claudine" (with new lyrics and vocal)
3. "Gangster's Moll" (new vocal using 1987 lyrics)
4. "It's a Lie"
5. "I Can't Help It"
6. "Fiji Jim" (using 1993 vocal)
7. "Do You Think I Care?"
8. "Misty Road"
9. "No Spare Parts"
10. "I Need You" (contractual Keith lead vocal)

...would be a great compilation! But i would also add 'Some people tell me' ("Some People Tell Me 4:49 Place Pigalle Vol. 2 A driving blues in a similar style to 'Stop Breaking Down', with rough 'growling' guide vocal by Mick) and 'Not the way to go' instead of 'Claudine' and 'Gangster Moll'. And what a shame that Mick has already ruined 'Lonely at the top' on STB!

"Fixing up "Do You Think I Care?" is likely and "Fiji Jim" was already worked on in 1993 so some of Mick's work was likely just overseeing the remixing. I would think "It's a Lie" and "Misty Road" would be contenders. "Claudine" would take a complete lyrical overhaul since referring to Spider by name would certainly be a problem unless Claudine Longet is willing to sign a waiver today. If I recall correctly it was Andy Williams who threatened a lawsuit at the time.
The good news is some of these tracks were reworked during the EMOTIONAL RESCUE and TATTOO YOU sessions. The UNDERCOVER sessions had reworked versions of "Gangster's Moll" and "Munich Hilton." Mick was even toying with "Gangster's Moll" during the PRIMITIVE COOL and STEEL WHEELS sessions so I'd consider it a contender as well. I don't see a problem if 1979 outtakes end up being reworked for this. It's not like EXILE RARITIES didn't tap into STICKY FINGERS and LET IT BLEED sessions."

...i hope that in the choice of songs were also evaluated this information.

Date: September 17, 2011 01:19

Hillside Blues
Yeah, you're probably right, although the 2 takes are quite different to my ears. The long and slow version also has extra lyrics on the bridge which the short one doesn't, which is kind of strange if the long one came first.

I've never heard any instrumental version either.

It's in circulation, apparently - not sourced from a bootleg - and clocks in at 7:04. Whereas the other two takes have guide vocals, this is totally instrumental.

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: September 17, 2011 02:29

I smell another TARGET single disc with just the 10 new Some Girls tracks. Somebody on Ebay had the Exile TARGET disc listed recently for $20-25US. I guess that's out of print now?

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: September 17, 2011 02:45

Hey...if you got some girls left over...give them to us

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 18, 2011 17:31

Lil' Brian
I smell another TARGET single disc with just the 10 new Some Girls tracks. Somebody on Ebay had the Exile TARGET disc listed recently for $20-25US. I guess that's out of print now?

I've seen the deluxe edition still. I would think the stand alone Rarities is still in print.

Date: September 19, 2011 17:26

From the SH link on the SH thread:

Jagger: “There’s 12 unreleased ‘bits’ from that year,” he says. “Some were finished and some I put little bits on, like guitar and harmonica. Most of the rest of the band had done [their parts, at the time], it’s just that my things were not finished, or they were little ideas I’d had while the track was being run. So I wrote lyrics to those and sung them in the spirit of ’78.” Even he laughs at the idea of mimicking his former self. “It’s easy, really. I’m very fortunate because my voice sounds almost exactly the same.”

Looks like 12 tracks instead of 10!

He thinks his voice sounds "almost exactly the same"? Has he listened to Streets Of Love or Following The River?

Date: September 19, 2011 17:29

12 tracks? Maybe they'll use the two extras as bonus tracks on download singles, like they did with 'All down the line' on the Exile deluxe

Date: September 19, 2011 17:41

Well, one can only hope at this point that the extra album will have 12 tracks right?

Date: September 19, 2011 18:22

DragonSky

Jagger: “There’s 12 unreleased ‘bits’ from that year,” he says. “Some were finished and some I put little bits on, like guitar and harmonica. Most of the rest of the band had done [their parts, at the time], it’s just that my things were not finished, or they were little ideas I’d had while the track was being run. So I wrote lyrics to those and sung them in the spirit of ’78.” Even he laughs at the idea of mimicking his former self. “It’s easy, really. I’m very fortunate because my voice sounds almost exactly the same.”

He thinks his voice sounds "almost exactly the same"? Has he listened to Streets Of Love or Following The River?

eye popping smiley Oh my God. Mick, are you crazy?!

Date: September 19, 2011 18:28

“It’s easy, really. I’m very fortunate because my voice sounds almost exactly the same.”

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 19, 2011 19:10

KRiffhard
DragonSky

eye popping smiley Oh my God. Mick, are you crazy?!
He just hasn't had anybody tell him him his voice has changed since 1978.

Date: September 19, 2011 20:22

DragonSky
Well, one can only hope at this point that the extra album will have 12 tracks right?

The more the merrier!

Date: September 19, 2011 20:53

I wonder what track we'll get with Keith's lead vocal. It's possible all 12 will be sung by Mick and the only known songs with Keith's lead vocals of that era actually come from the ER session but having at least one KR lead vocal track per Stones release seems like some kind of latter day Stonesian law (haha). Maybe there's a version of "Beast of Burden" with KR vocals they could put on the extended release of SG. Otherwise, it would be "Didn't We Have It All" or "Let's Go Steady"-each from the ER sessions I believe.

Either way it will be interesting to see if any KR lead vox track winds up among the 12.

Posted by: django ()
Date: September 19, 2011 20:58

big4
I wonder what track we'll get with Keith's lead vocal. It's possible all 12 will be sung by Mick and the only known songs with Keith's lead vocals of that era actually come from the ER session but having at least one KR lead vocal track per Stones release seems like some kind of latter day Stonesian law (haha). Maybe there's a version of "Beast of Burden" with KR vocals they could put on the extended release of SG. Otherwise, it would be "Didn't We Have It All" or "Let's Go Steady"-each from the ER sessions I believe.

Either way it will be interesting to see if any KR lead vox track winds up among the 12.

Isn't "I Need You" with Keith on lead vocals. I haven't listen to it for quite a while but I think I remember it's a Keith song.

Date: September 19, 2011 21:13

They're both on it, at least the one I've heard.

Date: September 19, 2011 21:30

How did I forget about that one! damn. It is a co-lead but maybe that will be enough to make it the obligatory Keith track-and a fine one at that.

Date: September 24, 2011 15:18

I hope that SG Deluxe version will includes this great version of 'Not the way to go':

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 24, 2011 15:30

keefbajaga
I did steal some candy in a shop, now is that still litigious?

probably not baja dude but if I were you I'd go back to that shop and repay them or something. Probably make you feel better about it. lol

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2424
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home