Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Some Girls Leftovers
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 12, 2011 10:24

Note that ja Wonderful is a different track to Jah is Not Dead, the latter also being an ER outtake.

Jah is not Dead is not only the best ever outtake in my opinion, but also one of the best ever Stones tracks. If only this ever could be officially released...

Mathijs

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 12, 2011 10:28

Looking at the lyrics I'm not convinced that it is libellous (may have spelled that wrong) as it seems only to report the facts of the case. But I'm no lawyer.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 12, 2011 10:47

Braincapers
Looking at the lyrics I'm not convinced that it is libellous (may have spelled that wrong) as it seems only to report the facts of the case. But I'm no lawyer.

Well, the lrycis blame her for unaccidentilly killing Spider Sabich, while she is only convicted for a misdemeanor.I don't think this song will ever be officially released. It was, however, broadcasted on Dutch radio when ER came out though.

Mathijs

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 12, 2011 16:46

...another great SG outtake.

Date: September 12, 2011 17:53

Gazza
Circulating Alternate versions :

Miss You 9:22 1 More Sucking In The '70s Features almost 2 mins of tuning up first, then a false start. Very prominent electric piano and wah-wah guitar. Maybe a first take. Lyrics and vocals quite developed though.

I've heard this one. Since the lyrics and vocals are more developed than other early versions (which give the impression that the talk-over portion was the first part to develop lyrically), I've wondered if the track isn't really just a tour rehearsal and not a studio outtake as various bootlegs claim.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: September 12, 2011 17:55

KRiffhard

Nice track, but isn't that from the RCA sessions in Aug. '78? It will be interesting to see if they include anything from those sessions, since they occurred after SG.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: September 12, 2011 17:58

Would really like to see this one worked on and included on the SG Deluxe:

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: September 12, 2011 21:09

Gazza
From my own notes and basing them on Zentgraf, Aeppli's sites plus a few others, this is what's available. Still a few gaps though, so I'm not claiming it's a definitive guide. The notes were made quite some time ago and I havent checked out some of the questions as to how accurate some of the notes are.

Holy Shit, this is an amazing post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your time and effort!

Date: September 12, 2011 21:11

P.S. I want only the actual outtakes to be released. No modern additions. I don't know why they feel the need to much things up, but my opinion is: release any tracks as they are in the can or don't release them.

Date: September 12, 2011 21:54

Then we have to stick to the bootlegs. They touch things up decades after the fact for commercial considerations just like many other artists. Most consumers do not hear with the ear of a hardcore fan. Admittedly, hardcore fans are the major market for such a release, but try telling that to the artist who bypassed the material as inferior in the first place.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: September 12, 2011 22:14

I don't know these songs, so I am soo excited to hear new Stone's tunes!!!!

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 12, 2011 22:20

There very well could be a lot of Start Me Up's in the vaults that they were too close to and too tired of at the time. 40 some takes of that song.

Really? They worked on that song for 40 some takes and they used take 3 (or whatever early one)? Chances are there are other tracks like that. And aside from that aspect there is the other one - some of the tracks they left off that were finished in lieu of having rather, well, lame tracks on the LP instead; the B-side was usually as good as something else on the album.

Not all the time of course but they're out there. They've made some bad decisions and I'm confident they'll make more. All in the name of 'moving forward' and doing something 'new' and 'different' - none of which does not always equate with 'good'.

There's Moon Is Up good and different and then there is New Faces, which if it wasn't for that Voodoo Brew or Stew with the track of Keith overdubbing that song I would have ignored it for life because ever since I've never been able to listen to that track without laughing - and even though I like what Keith did the song still sucks! Should've been left off for The Storm or Jump On Top Of Me or several of the (way better) others that didn't make it out.

Date: September 12, 2011 22:23

Crosses DragonSky's name off Christmas card list.

It could have been worse, you could have hated "You Can't Always Get What You Want" or called LET IT BLEED overrated.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: September 12, 2011 22:57

thanks gazza ,for the good work,,thumbs up

Date: September 12, 2011 23:02

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Crosses DragonSky's name off Christmas card list.

It could have been worse, you could have hated "You Can't Always Get What You Want" or called LET IT BLEED overrated.

I thought it was You Can't Get What You Want...

Date: September 12, 2011 23:12

Wot?

Posted by: django ()
Date: September 12, 2011 23:24

Mathijs
Jah is not Dead is not only the best ever outtake in my opinion, but also one of the best ever Stones tracks. If only this ever could be officially released...
Mathijs

I agree, great song, but they should rework the bass part (played by RW?). The bass sounds out of tune to my ears. BTW is that Max Romeo or Boz Scaggs singing with Mick?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 13, 2011 03:42

Scaggs, apparently.

Max Romeo didnt add his contribution to the album until they were doing overdubs in New York about nine months later.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 13, 2011 03:50

KRiffhard

to me sounds like a mixture of Where The Boys Go & Hang Fire.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: September 13, 2011 04:05

Not The Way To Go is from RCA, Hollywood August-September '78. Not a 'Some Girls' leftover.

Date: September 13, 2011 05:30

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Then we have to stick to the bootlegs. They touch things up decades after the fact for commercial considerations just like many other artists. Most consumers do not hear with the ear of a hardcore fan. Admittedly, hardcore fans are the major market for such a release, but try telling that to the artist who bypassed the material as inferior in the first place.

I know. I'd listen to it for curiosity, but then probably never again.

When the alternate ADTL came out with the Exile reissue, I thought a very cool idea - for nuts like us - would be single CDs showing the development of a one song. Say "Brown Sugar": you get 12-14 versions/takes of it as it took shape. It would be incredibly fascinating, though it would not sell squat. They could do it super cheap like Pearl Jam has done with concert recordings or via flac download online, like the Black Crowes do with their gigs.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: September 13, 2011 05:53

KRiffhard

I like it, thanks for sharing it.

Date: September 13, 2011 05:54

redsock
WilliamPatrickMaynard

I know. I'd listen to it for curiosity, but then probably never again.

When the alternate ADTL came out with the Exile reissue, I thought a very cool idea - for nuts like us - would be single CDs showing the development of a one song. Say "Brown Sugar": you get 12-14 versions/takes of it as it took shape. It would be incredibly fascinating, though it would not sell squat. They could do it super cheap like Pearl Jam has done with concert recordings or via flac download online, like the Black Crowes do with their gigs.

Well of course that would make sense. But the Stones don't know what sense is.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 13, 2011 09:19

Amazing post Gazza! You are a true historian providing primary sources for the fanatics. Awesome!

Posted by: Carster ()
Date: September 15, 2011 14:32

Gazza
Circulating Alternate versions :
Miss You 9:22 1 More Sucking In The '70s Features almost 2 mins of tuning up first, then a false start. Very prominent electric piano and wah-wah guitar. Maybe a first take. Lyrics and vocals quite developed though.

This one doesn't belong on the list, this is from the tour rehearsals.

'Miss You I' still unconfirmed...anyone?

Date: September 15, 2011 14:44

Thanks for that clarification. Presumably, you mean the Woodstock Rehearsal tapes?

In which case, Miss You V2 now becomes Miss You V1, Version 3 becomes version 2 and version 4 becomes version 3.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-15 14:46 by Gazza.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: September 15, 2011 16:07

Gazza
Not The Way To Go is from RCA, Hollywood August-September '78. Not a 'Some Girls' leftover.

Are you sure about that?

[www.nzentgraf.de] says:

5th January - 2nd March: Boulogne-Billancourt, France, Pathé Marconi Studios.
Producer: The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey (and Dave Jordan for
Before They Make Me Run).
Additional musicians: STU (p)/Bobby Keys (sax)

- After Hours (Avery Parrish) -instrumental
- Angeline (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Armpit Blues (MJ/KR) -instrumental *
- Before They Make Me Run I (MJ/KR) -very early lyrics
- Before They Make Me Run II (MJ/KR) -early lyrics, very long fade-out
- Before They Make Me Run III (MJ/KR) -’Some Girls’-version
- Before They Make Me Run IV (MJ/KR) -version of promo-single
- Black Limousine III (MJ/KR/RW) -early lyrics, usual intro
- Black Limousine IV (MJ/KR/RW) -early version with finished lyrics
- Broken Toe (MJ/KR) -instrumental *
- Brown Leaves II (MJ/KR) -instrumental version of Dancing Girls (short)
- Brown Leaves III (MJ/KR) -instrumental version of Dancing Girls (longer)
- Claudine II (MJ/KR) -Rock’n Roll-version
- Claudine III (MJ/KR) -Rock’n Roll-version, edit of version II
- Disco Musik (MJ/KR)
- Do You Get Enough (MJ/KR) *
- Do You Think I Really Care I (MJ/KR/RW) -pedal steel version
- Do You Think I Really Care II (MJ/KR/RW) -guitar version
- Everlasting Is My Love II (MJ/KR) -with falsetto vocals and slide
- Everlasting Is My Love III (MJ/KR) -falsetto vocals and count in
- Far Away Eyes II (MJ/KR) -finished vocals, different pedal steel solo
- Far Away Eyes III (MJ/KR) -backing track, used for promo
- Far Away Eyes IV (MJ/KR) -’Some Girls’-version
- Far Away Eyes V (MJ/KR) -single-edit
- Fiji Jim I (MJ/KR/RW)
- Fiji Jim II (MJ/KR/RW) -version I with more guitars
- Golden Caddy I (MJ/KR) -instrumental (short) *
- Golden Caddy II (MJ/KR) -instrumental (longer) *
- Hang Fire I (MJ/KR) -early lyrics
- I Need You (MJ/KR)
- It’s A Lie I (MJ/KR) -with harmonica intro
- It’s A Lie II (MJ/KR) -with drums intro
- It’s All Wrong (MJ/KR)
- It Won’t Be Long I (MJ/KR) -rough version, less instruments
- Light Up (MJ/KR) -instrumental
- Lies III (MJ/KR) - extended of IV
- Lies IV (MJ/KR) - ‘Some Girls’-version
- Love You Too Much III (MJ/KR) -instrumental, with accoustic guitar
- Love You Too Much IV (MJ/KR) -with backing vocals and more lyrics
- Never Let Her Go (MJ/KR)
- Never Make You Cry I (MJ/KR) -with guide vocals
- Never Make You Cry II (MJ/KR) -MJ announces chord changes
- Never Make You Cry III (MJ/KR) -with additional electric piano
- No Spare Parts (MJ/KR)
- Not The Way To Go I (MJ/KR) -longer and slower version
- Petrol (MJ/KR) -STU on piano
- Redeyes (MJ/KR/RW) -with vocals/lyrics (‘When You’re Gone’)
- Shame, Shame, Shame (Jimmy Reed)
- Sheep Dip Blues (MJ/KR) -instrumental
- Some Girls II (MJ/KR) -’Some Girls’-version
- Some People Tell Me (MJ/KR)
- So Young I (MJ/KR)
- Start Me Up II (MJ/KR) -very early, less lyrics, no backing vocals
- Start Me Up III (MJ/KR) -early version, with backing vocals
- Stay Where You Are (MJ/KR) -instrumental *
- Summer Romance I (MJ/KR) -early lyrics, very agressive
- Summer Romance II (MJ/KR) -early lyrics
- Summer Romance III (MJ/KR) -first version with original intro
- Up Against The Wall (MJ/KR) -instrumental
- The Way She Held Me Tight (MJ/KR)
- We Are Ripped On Down (MJ/KR?) -unconfirmed
- You Don’t Have To Go (Jimmy Reed)
- You Win Again (Hank Williams)

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: September 15, 2011 16:10

Analyzing Gazza's list of the sessions from page 1 of this thread: Only the first session was used for the long player except Before They Make Me Run. This might mean that they were ready for a release until Keith (or who?) had the idea to revive the Keith solo spot.
This would be, of course, a purist's approach to the re-release, leaving session 2 and so on for new versions of Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You.

Posted by: Carster ()
Date: September 15, 2011 16:18

Gazza
Thanks for that clarification. Presumably, you mean the Woodstock Rehearsal tapes?

Recording from the Woodstock rehearsal sessions, yes.

Gazza
In which case, Miss You V2 now becomes Miss You V1, Version 3 becomes version 2 and version 4 becomes version 3.

Hold your horses...apparently there IS a 'Miss You I', not on your list. Der Zentgraf Junge has it listed, I consider it unconfirmed until documentation comes around. Anyone?

Date: September 15, 2011 22:36

Hillside Blues
Gazza

Are you sure about that?

[www.nzentgraf.de] says:

5th January - 2nd March: Boulogne-Billancourt, France, Pathé Marconi Studios.
- Not The Way To Go I (MJ/KR) -longer and slower version

Thanks. I still think this is the version from RCA.

Zentgraf lists the following info from that session :

Not The Way To Go II (MJ/KR) -faster rhythm than I, instrumental
Not The Way To Go III (MJ/KR) -faster rhythm than 1, with vocals

The two takes that are on the bootleg 'The Harder They Come' clock in at 9: 35 and 7:12 according to my own notes.

The notes I made for the 9:35 version are 'Count-in by Mick. Fast reggae-influenced track with unfinished lyrics and Mick calling out chord changes.
For the 7:12 take - 'Shorter version of above. Sounds a faster tempo'

Seems to be a bit of confusion about the longer take (I made these notes a few years back), as Nico has it listed as an instrumental, but the 7:12 take seems to be the 3rd version Ok, going by the description and the length.

This site - [www10.atwiki.jp] - lists just 2 takes - the two that are on 'The Harder They Come', and both as coming from Paris.

Aeppli - [www10.atwiki.jp] - doesnt list the track as having been cut in Paris at all, but mentions the two cuts on 'Harder They Come' as coming from RCA. Neither version is listed as an instrumental.

Havent got the boots handy at the moment - can anyone confirm if the instrumental take is on a bootleg and what the length is?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-15 22:38 by Gazza.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1642
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home