Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Guess Wot ... I HATE "You Can't Get What You Want"
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 12, 2011 01:07

apart from Gimme Shelter, Monkey Man and Midnite Rambler, I got to say that Let it Bleed is the MOST overrated record after Beggars Banquet, and my least favourite. I even prefer A Bigger Bang, especially since Midníte Rambler is 1000 times better live. YCAGWYW? I've attended only TWO great performances of that song, Atlantic City in 1989 and Oslo in 2007. (Hearing that one live about 30 times).

Date: September 12, 2011 01:10

Laright I forgot You Got The Silver.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 12, 2011 01:19

MadMax
apart from Gimme Shelter, Monkey Man and Midnite Rambler, I got to say that Let it Bleed is the MOST overrated record after Beggars Banquet, and my least favourite. I even prefer A Bigger Bang, especially since Midníte Rambler is 1000 times better live. YCAGWYW? I've attended only TWO great performances of that song, Atlantic City in 1989 and Oslo in 2007. (Hearing that one live about 30 times).

Now that´s a statement.Beggars and Let It Bleed overrated....may I conclude you prefer Live Licks instead Ya Ya´s or
is this too far fetched ?

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: September 12, 2011 01:20

whitem8
The perfect Stones song. Bookending Let it Bleed's messaged of doom and decay with a closing curtain on the 60's: the end of hippies, the end of naivety, the end of optimism, the end of an era. Opening with a choral that is sickly sweet, dripping with a cloying angst of beauty and dread. The opening acoustic is like a bright sunny day on a open green with swaying skeletons sipping tea and eating scones. Jagger's angst ridden voice slithers forward singing of the height of hypocrisy of the upper class. All appearances of pomp and circumstance, yet just as decadent and duplicitous, tea and sympathy. And then you are kicked in the stomach the opening salvo of Miller's fantastic drum heralding the chorus of ultimate cynicism and optimism fighting like a devil and angle perched on each shoulder engaged in that endless battle for your conscience. The song roils and boils and builds and builds until the frantic gospel fade out. This is epic, and again combines that sweetly sick edge of decay and decadence that heralded a new era of overindulgence and narcism. One of their finest recorded moments and an opera of irony. Love it.

Nicely put

Date: September 12, 2011 01:42

Short fat fanny excuse me! I put it wrong! I meant that Let it bleed is the most overrated record after 1968, I LOVE BEGGARS BANQUET, probably my second favourite album after Tatoo You (Before Beggars I don't really dig nothing, 'cept a couple of tracks on the Between The Buttons). But LIB just ain't doin it for me, album-wise. I prefer B & Blue and ER.

As I'm an avid vinyl listener I found some cool Stones stuff yesterday.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 12, 2011 01:46

I know what you mean. It's a little bit to consummated a song for our three chord geniuses. Like Shine a light or Angie. A bit to sticky for a garage rockband...

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 12, 2011 03:20

Natlanta
i know wot you mean because i hate my clothes.

Well..white shirt & black slacks are a bit boring..but HATE? winking smiley

RE: YCAGWYW

kinda think Mick ruined it by making it a sing-along in concert. the studio version is such a different vibe than the live versions...at least the RECENT live versions.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-12 03:23 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: September 12, 2011 03:20

Tonstone
Thedailybuzzherd

I apologise for being out of order, that was not called for, sorry Guys.

Don't sweat it, I've got a thick skin. Not trying to stir the pot, just kinda curious if there are like-minded fans on the board, and why.

BTW, I'd like to check out the other live versions out there. I think Mick totally overproduced it ... The Stones were always at their best when they didn't pile on the layers, even though it takes a lot of consideration to make a raw, down-to-earth tune.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: September 12, 2011 03:30

Brussels 1973.....then tell me you hate it...Ill have you commited.

Date: September 12, 2011 03:35

Will do. Or better, post it here, 'cuz others may not have heard it either.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 12, 2011 05:16

adotulipson
whitem8
The perfect Stones song. Bookending Let it Bleed's messaged of doom and decay with a closing curtain on the 60's: the end of hippies, the end of naivety, the end of optimism, the end of an era. Opening with a choral that is sickly sweet, dripping with a cloying angst of beauty and dread. The opening acoustic is like a bright sunny day on a open green with swaying skeletons sipping tea and eating scones. Jagger's angst ridden voice slithers forward singing of the height of hypocrisy of the upper class. All appearances of pomp and circumstance, yet just as decadent and duplicitous, tea and sympathy. And then you are kicked in the stomach the opening salvo of Miller's fantastic drum heralding the chorus of ultimate cynicism and optimism fighting like a devil and angle perched on each shoulder engaged in that endless battle for your conscience. The song roils and boils and builds and builds until the frantic gospel fade out. This is epic, and again combines that sweetly sick edge of decay and decadence that heralded a new era of overindulgence and narcism. One of their finest recorded moments and an opera of irony. Love it.

Nicely put

Thanks so much! I like to try to write every once in a while.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 12, 2011 06:19

One of Mick Taylor's greatest solos. The description is wrong though, Bobby Keys does not play here.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 12, 2011 06:47

talking ill of You Can't Always Get What You Want is heresy. Full stop. The greatest song to close an album and decade forever.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 12, 2011 08:30

Really? I must confess that I have more problems with songs like 'Sweet Neo Con'....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 12, 2011 15:39

MadMax
Short fat fanny excuse me! I put it wrong! I meant that Let it bleed is the most overrated record after 1968, I LOVE BEGGARS BANQUET, probably my second favourite album after Tatoo You (Before Beggars I don't really dig nothing, 'cept a couple of tracks on the Between The Buttons). But LIB just ain't doin it for me, album-wise. I prefer B & Blue and ER.

As I'm an avid vinyl listener I found some cool Stones stuff yesterday.

Hey Max,no need to apologize...just wondered about the term,everyone has got his favs...

Date: September 12, 2011 15:52

There are so many versions, and they sound very different, too, up till 1989.

So take your pick, the Rock'n'roll Circus-version, 72 w Taylor, 73 w Taylor, 75/76 w Ronnie, 81/82 w Ronnie w shorter solos ot the 89 - 2007 more true to the original.

My favorite is the 75 version off Hold On Tight (MSG).

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: September 12, 2011 16:39

Thats not bobby keys on the horn in brussels?.....then who is it?

Date: September 12, 2011 16:47

ohcarol
Thats not bobby keys on the horn in brussels?.....then who is it?

Trevor Lawrence

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: September 12, 2011 18:58

i respectfully disagree

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 12, 2011 19:05

Floorbird
What's a wot?

That's how Mick says 'what' phonetically.

Date: September 17, 2011 21:53

stones78

One of Mick Taylor's greatest solos. The description is wrong though, Bobby Keys does not play here.

Tasty, but it doesn't swing.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: September 17, 2011 22:18

You cant fail but to love any song with Mick Taylor in full flow. There are a million versions of this live and they are all great..... But the best of them all have Mick Taylor let loose. Showing the world why he was/is the finest guitarist of his generation!

Date: September 17, 2011 22:31

Mick Taylor with The Stones was a great match, BUT, I'd have taken Ry Cooder over him easy. Wasn't to be. Ours' and The Stones' loss.

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: September 17, 2011 22:55

who cares that you hate it,,,

I dont

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: September 17, 2011 23:24

TheDailyBuzzherd
Mick Taylor with The Stones was a great match, BUT, I'd have taken Ry Cooder over him easy. Wasn't to be. Ours' and The Stones' loss.

They were THE perfect match. I dont believe for a minute that anyone could have been a better choice.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 18, 2011 03:06

northernale1
who cares that you hate it,,,

I dont

I really care.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: September 18, 2011 08:46

I dont hate YCAGWYW, I loathe it, but there is other things much worse and that is anything done by The Doors or Grateful Dead, Stairway to Heaven and anything by Earth Wind and Fire.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: September 18, 2011 08:55

Or is that Blood Sweat and Tears, Either way

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: September 18, 2011 11:12

Great great song!

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: September 18, 2011 14:16

Listen to the 7" single, no choir, you will be happy!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2194
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home