Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: The U.S..78 Tour really was a good-one?
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: September 9, 2011 21:51

Erik_Snow
rooster
but snow loves the 78 tour!

Hi Rooster, yes I do love the 1978 tour - but that doesn't mean I view all performances the same way

I like their 1975 tour even more....my favourite tour, actually - but I still find the "Los Angeles video show" to be horrible......except for "Brown Sugar"
Hiiiii erik good to hear from you.....after all this turbilent times
i know what you mean....but for me sometimes the so called bad stadium shows are just ace (speaking about 78)
the philly show at the JFK stadium( so sad its gone!..like the old Wembley in London..there was so much history in those places...is the anaheim stadium still there?)
I really like the Philly Miss you version...where jagger out of controll(those where the days they really was sometimes...instead of singing a tune wich i like by the by about it} gets lost in the lyrics...but i can feel the emotion
the philly shattered version....that version is so cool its killing me...its to me the defenative shattered vers so very punk i cant believe it! and that in front of some 100.000 fans thats so brave!
I love the Philly Td version it grooves!!!!
about cleveland is a different matter...where i feel like an allien here...cause i love that show from begining till end...i mean really love it ..itr makes a bad day good for me.....i also love the 78 virginia hampton show so much (who was there?} highlight JJF!!! listen to this version!
chicago is real cool
anaheim ( thanks erik for the non shoes show!}
i always loved that show since 79 when i bought the lp boot
the last san francisco (oakland) show was the second boot i bought the first was san diego 69.....maybe you saw my thread about Houston 78....cause that is so intresting....sadly on this board nobody went there
i think the greens borro show is excelent...but you never hear people talk about it...i can go on for hours about the some girls summer tour i ve been fascinated by it for 32 years now! Yeah the club shows where the best....but the big shows were so full of tension without automatic pilot R&R!! cheers man!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-09 22:00 by rooster.

Posted by: varv ()
Date: September 9, 2011 22:31

Great tour! Like many others here I'd like to see them do that kind of tour again. I saw the Chicago show and ended up right down in front. It was loose and raw in that great Stones way. They really jammed on JJF-Keith and Ronnie were on fire. And man do I miss that "earthquake" bass sound of Bill Wyman. I have Tight Dresses And Tampax,but it seems like I read somewhere recently that a better version exists. Does anyone know if that's the case?

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: September 10, 2011 02:57

The Stones could never do "that kind of tour again", unfortunately...

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: September 10, 2011 04:48

JFK

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: September 10, 2011 07:42

leteyer
I've attending to Stones concerts since 1975, haven't miss a tour I have always felt more than satisfied going out of the venue they just lit up. To me those two shows I saw in Anaheim in the summer of 1978 are the most memorable.

I was at both Anaheim shows as well and the first one was a train wreck. Manys stoppages while they screwed around with guitars and equipment. Next day's LA newspaper had a picture of Jagger on the front page with the headline:

Sad Day for Rock, Stones turn to Dust.

2nd show was much stronger.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 10, 2011 08:54

Loudei
The 78' Tour is one of their best... probably the last one to hear the band to the core. Bill and Charlie at their best.

Correct.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: September 11, 2011 01:46

rooster

the philly show at the JFK stadium( so sad its gone!..like the old Wembley in London..there was so much history in those places...is the anaheim stadium still there?)

thumbs up on JFK. As a sports venue, it was perhaps the USA's biggest white elephant. As a concert venue, it was literally the Saint Patrick's Cathedral of live music, the sight where massive throngs of people came to worship with song, dance, and praise. Intimacy aside (and who goes to stadium shows expecting that), it was a great place for live music. You had to be a true moron at the mixing board to screw up the sound in there.

It's so sad to see what has happened to so many of America's music palaces:

CBGB...gone

JFK Stadium....gone

Cobo Arena...gone

Giants Stadium...gone

Shea Stadium...gone

The Spectrum...gone and replaced a with corporate playground

Market Square Arena....gone and replaced with an acoustical dump and the intimacy of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway/Strahov Stadium

Chicago Stadium.....gone and replaced with an acoustical dump and the intimacy of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway/Strahov Stadium

RFK Stadium....soon to be gone, replaced with an acoustical dump and the intimacy of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway/Strahov Stadium

The Fillmore Auditorium....turned into a corporate playground for Live Nation

The Hollywood Palladium....turned into a corporate playground for Live Nation

Alpine Valley Music Theater....turned into a corporate playground for Live Nation

The Joint...gone, replaced with a corporate playground for Live Nation under the same name

Boston Avalon...gone, transformed into corporate playground for Live Nation

Alameda County Coliseum....ruined beyond redemption by Raiders owner

The Summit....gone, turned into evangelical mega church

Pontiac Silverdome......not only still standing but soon to be reopened for business angry smiley

And to answer your question, Anaheim Stadium is not only still open, but has been renovated back into its original form as you remember from 1978 cool smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-11 01:51 by stevecardi.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 11, 2011 02:34

I have no idea if the Stones were that good or not in 1978, and I saw them! My condition in Cleveland that day left me in no position to be judging them. I remember digging Sweet Little Sixteen. The Cleveland concert was just such a weird vibe. The crowd seemed to like them. Can't wait for the Texas DVD. Hot damn.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 11, 2011 02:34

stevecardi
rooster

thumbs up on JFK. As a sports venue, it was perhaps the USA's biggest white elephant. As a concert venue, it was literally the Saint Patrick's Cathedral of live music, the sight where massive throngs of people came to worship with song, dance, and praise. Intimacy aside (and who goes to stadium shows expecting that), it was a great place for live music. You had to be a true moron at the mixing board to screw up the sound in there.

CBGB...gone

JFK Stadium....gone

Cobo Arena...gone

Giants Stadium...gone

Shea Stadium...gone

Market Square Arena....gone and replaced with an acoustical dump and the intimacy of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway/Strahov Stadium

Chicago Stadium.....gone and replaced with an acoustical dump and the intimacy of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway/Strahov Stadium

RFK Stadium....soon to be gone, replaced with an acoustical dump and the intimacy of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway/Strahov Stadium

Alpine Valley Music Theater....turned into a corporate playground for Live Nation

The Joint...gone, replaced with a corporate playground for Live Nation under the same name

Pontiac Silverdome......not only still standing but soon to be reopened for business angry smiley

And to answer your question, Anaheim Stadium is not only still open, but has been renovated back into its original form as you remember from 1978 cool smiley

Great Post
The Oakland/Alameda Stadium sucked before Al by the way.
Not a good place to see a show.
Also Jack Murphy in San Diego. Tough to see a show at.

Zilker Park is STRONG though!

Great post Steve

Date: September 11, 2011 04:27

I like JFK Philly 78 too. But in context. And I realize that is a luxury.
The great thing about the 78 tour was that it was up and down. Like the itinerary itself the tour seems a risk, and performances were up and down. In that light I like Philly, because you also got the NYC Palladium, Myrtle Beach and Memphis show.

Date: September 11, 2011 13:22

stevecardi
rooster

CBGB...gone

JFK Stadium....gone

Cobo Arena...gone

Giants Stadium...gone

Shea Stadium...gone

hmmm that is makin me a bit sad...to me thats just killing R&R history and the sport and music culture,,like the yankee stadium right there in the middle of NY NY....is history big time
one of the things i like about Italy..is that they take care...and really care about this
I dont wanna compare the coliseum with the jfk stadium....but it all feels so disposable to me like use it and than fuc it till death
great to hear the anaheim stadium still exist!

Date: September 11, 2011 13:27

The farm wants to know if the cow palace is still there...my cows dont like it....but they do like to jump in candle stick park!

Date: September 16, 2011 14:39

Munichhilton
stevecardi
rooster

CBGB...gone

JFK Stadium....gone

Cobo Arena...gone

Giants Stadium...gone

Shea Stadium...gone

Great Post

Great post Steve

Hey thanks for the nice response! Didn't know that about the Alameda Coliseum. I've never been, but some of my friends from the Bay Area told me that before Mount Davis went up, not only did it have some of the best views of any ballpark, but that its drab architecture and lack of any pretensions was what gave it it's charm: where real and blue-color baseball fans could come, kick back a couple of cold ones, inhale a few hot dogs, and watch some serious ballplaying that was rewarded by hard work,--not any cuddly fuzziness,--and simply because it was a much better, friendlier, and warmer ballpark than Candlestick Park. [Obviously, I'm not talking about the Masoleum years, lol].

Also, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that, had the Beatles not played their last concert there or for the 49ers, no one would give a horse's patoot about Candlestick Park. One of my friends from the Bay Area who did manage to see one of the few concerts there (and a bunch of Giants games) told me they were some of the most miserable experiences of his concert/baseball going life, and that Charles Harney should be thanking his lucky stars that Dan Marino's parents decided to do it that night smileys with beer

Jack Murphy I could not agree with you more....how the hell did Padres fans tolerate watching baseball with the seats angled like that, and for so long?

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-16 23:59 by stevecardi.

Date: September 16, 2011 14:49

Deleted--accidental repost

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-16 14:58 by stevecardi.

Date: September 16, 2011 14:56

rooster
The farm wants to know if the cow palace is still there...my cows dont like it....but they do like to jump in candle stick park!

Hey Rooster, yes, the Cow Palace is still there. The city's been trying to tear it down, but the people of California won't let them do it. They were also trying to renovate the historic Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum into a 21st century stadium to lure back an NFL team, but USC and the people of LA aren't letting them get near it. It's now a national historic landmark (only place in the world to have hosted 2 Super Bowls, 2 Olympics, and a World Series), and any real renovation would take it off the that list. Same with the LA Forum and Sports Arena--in spite of the Staples Center, these two places remain open for business, and continue to host concerts.

Great to hear so many people share my passion for these classic sports/concert venues. Here's a cool story: a man who is currently working for my dad's construction company as an engineer spent most of the 1970s/1980s at the soundboard for some of these rock bands when they played these venues. He was one of the men mixing the sound when the Stones opened the 1981 tour at JFK Stadium.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-16 14:57 by stevecardi.

Date: September 16, 2011 16:35

stevecardi
Munichhilton
stevecardi
rooster

CBGB...gone

JFK Stadium....gone

Cobo Arena...gone

Giants Stadium...gone

Shea Stadium...gone

Great Post

Great post Steve

Hey thanks for the nice response! Didn't know that about the Alameda Coliseum. I've never been, but some of my friends from the Bay Area told me that before Mount Davis went up, not only did it have some of the best views of any ballpark, but that its drab architecture and lack of any pretensions was what gave it it's charm: where real and blue-color baseball fans could come, kick back a couple of cold ones, inhale a few hot dogs, and watch some serious ball that was rewarded by hard work,--not any cuddly fuzziness,--and simply because it was a much better, friendlier, and warmer ballpark than Candlestick Park. [Obviously, I'm not talking about the Masoleum years, lol].

Also, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that, had the Beatles not played their last concert there or for the 49ers, no one would give a horse's patoot about Candlestick Park. One of my friends from the Bay Area who did manage to see one of the few concerts there (and a bunch of Giants games) told me they were some of the most miserable experiences of his concert/baseball going life, and that Charles Harney should be thanking his lucky stars that Dan Marino's parents decided to do it that night smileys with beer

Jack Murphy I could not agree with you more....how the hell did Padres fans tolerate watching baseball with the seats angled like that, and for so long?

Understood

I LOVE Candlestick Park....but probably for the wrong reasons. That is the very first Stones show I ever saw, and I saw Joe Montana throw several bombs to Jerry, I saw Steve Young toss it to Terrell. But the Stones at Candlestick was an absolute dream come true. The atmosphere and the camaraderie could never ever be duplicated in my life.

As for the sound? Who knows [that's why we have bootlegs...see big argument above] I was too busy in shock seeing the actual Keith Richards right there in the flesh looking like he had been wrestled out of bed to play for us. Life was never the same after that. Still isn't.

Damn I loved that afternoon...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-16 16:36 by Munichhilton.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: September 16, 2011 18:52

I was at the "shoe" show. I was very disappointed, I must admit. The long day in the heat, the late start, the fact that the show was in the daytime, the alcohol (in the heat) probably didn't help (lol) but I do distinctly remember being entirely unimpressed with their performance.

Date: September 16, 2011 18:58

Good that you were at an historic show...maybe it was too stinky

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 16, 2011 20:27

..... my feet are hurting .......

Date: September 16, 2011 21:46

stevecardi
Munichhilton
stevecardi
rooster

CBGB...gone

JFK Stadium....gone

Cobo Arena...gone

Giants Stadium...gone

Shea Stadium...gone

Great Post

Great post Steve

Hey thanks for the nice response! Didn't know that about the Alameda Coliseum. I've never been, but some of my friends from the Bay Area told me that before Mount Davis went up, not only did it have some of the best views of any ballpark, but that its drab architecture and lack of any pretensions was what gave it it's charm: where real and blue-color baseball fans could come, kick back a couple of cold ones, inhale a few hot dogs, and watch some serious ball that was rewarded by hard work,--not any cuddly fuzziness,--and simply because it was a much better, friendlier, and warmer ballpark than Candlestick Park. [Obviously, I'm not talking about the Masoleum years, lol].

do you remember jagger talked so much to the san francisco crowd back in 81

Date: September 16, 2011 21:49

stevecardi
rooster

Hey Rooster, yes, the Cow Palace is still there. The city's been trying to tear it down, but the people of California won't let them do it. They were also trying to renovate the historic Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum into a 21st century stadium to lure back an NFL team, but USC and the people of LA aren't letting them get near it. It's now a national historic landmark (only place in the world to have hosted 2 Super Bowls, 2 Olympics, and a World Series), and any real renovation would take it off the that list. Same with the LA Forum and Sports Arena--in spite of the Staples Center, these two places remain open for business, and continue to host concerts.

Great to hear so many people share my passion for these classic sports/concert venues. Here's a cool story: a man who is currently working for my dad's construction company as an engineer spent most of the 1970s/1980s at the soundboard for some of these rock bands when they played these venues. He was one of the men mixing the sound when the Stones opened the 1981 tour at JFK Stadium.
thanks so much for that info man ...cheers!

Posted by: stanbooth ()
Date: September 16, 2011 21:59

78 was great. The Rome bootleg after Humbert 1 became King of Italy, the benefit for the Battle of Shipka Pass veterans, and a killer Brixton show on the night when the Princess Alice collided with the Bywell Castle on the River Thames.
I believe Mick said he couldn't imagine "doing this for another 133 years."

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: September 16, 2011 22:24

The 78 tour was awesome. Chuck was on fire.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: September 17, 2011 01:21

The 78 tour (Greensboro) was my second Stones concert, which totals nine show from 1975 - 2006. I had always ranked that particular show last on the list, until I finally heard a bootleg from the concert. It really was a good show, and I've pulled it a little higher up my list now.

It's funny how many factors are involved in a show. Everything from parking your car to getting inside to dealing with idiots singing out of tune right next to you to where your seats are to who you are with to how tired you were during the show to about a hundred other things.

Not the first time that I've heard a bootleg from a show that made me think, "hey, that was a lot better than I thought it was at the time."

It was interesting compared with 1975, which was a very elaborate stage and a much more comprehensive collection of songs. Also, it was the only Stones show that I have attended that was about 75% geared around promoting one album, in this case obviously SOME GIRLS. I got a little tired of seeing Jagger running around with a guitar while the band was just playing two chords on a lot of the newer songs such as "Whip Comes Down," but still a good show.

At the time I was thinking "this might be the beginning of the end." But, there were still a lot of good times left in the tank, huh?

Cheers......

Date: September 17, 2011 07:39

Mongoose
The 78 tour (Greensboro) was my second Stones concert, which totals nine show from 1975 - 2006. I had always ranked that particular show last on the list, until I finally heard a bootleg from the concert. It really was a good show, and I've pulled it a little higher up my list now.

It's funny how many factors are involved in a show. Everything from parking your car to getting inside to dealing with idiots singing out of tune right next to you to where your seats are to who you are with to how tired you were during the show to about a hundred other things.

Not the first time that I've heard a bootleg from a show that made me think, "hey, that was a lot better than I thought it was at the time."

It was interesting compared with 1975, which was a very elaborate stage and a much more comprehensive collection of songs. Also, it was the only Stones show that I have attended that was about 75% geared around promoting one album, in this case obviously SOME GIRLS. I got a little tired of seeing Jagger running around with a guitar while the band was just playing two chords on a lot of the newer songs such as "Whip Comes Down," but still a good show.

At the time I was thinking "this might be the beginning of the end." But, there were still a lot of good times left in the tank, huh?

Cheers......

Thanks so much for your reflections
You have more insight than a most on this IORR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-17 19:14 by Munichhilton.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 17, 2011 09:08

I was at the shoe show. The sound was lousy. Keith's MXR effects dissipated halfway down the field. It was okay up front but in the stands it was very bad. In the 70's several shows at Anaheim Stadium had insufficient amplification. The last Faces show there was a disaster.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 17, 2011 10:25

TeddyB1018
I was at the shoe show. The sound was lousy. Keith's MXR effects dissipated halfway down the field. It was okay up front but in the stands it was very bad. In the 70's several shows at Anaheim Stadium had insufficient amplification. The last Faces show there was a disaster.

Insufficient amplification? What do you mean? It would be interesting to find out who ran the sound on those outdoor shows during the '78 tour as he seems to get hung, drawn, and quartered regarding every outdoor gig on that tour regarding the sound.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 17, 2011 11:12

The PA system was not sufficient to spread a strong sound mix throughout the stadium. The sound systems used by the band from at least the '89 shows on were far more effective.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 17, 2011 16:54

The show at Rich Stadium in Orchard Park, NY was probbaly the worst show I've seen or heard by them. 51 in all.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1529
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home