Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Jayhawks
Date: September 6, 2011 13:15

I've been a fan for a long time. Their new album, Mockingbird Time is absolutely fantastic. Check it out - first album with the golden lineup with Olson and Louris.

Re: OT: The Jayhawks
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 6, 2011 13:34

Not heard the new album yet but saw them a few weeks ago in London. I love Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow The Green Grass albums.

BTW - have you heard Jonathan Wilson's incredible Gentle Spirit album? Elements of CSNY, Neil Young and Elliot Smith solo but with a real psychedelic edge.

Date: September 6, 2011 14:05

Silver Dagger
Not heard the new album yet but saw them a few weeks ago in London. I love Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow The Green Grass albums.

BTW - have you heard Jonathan Wilson's incredible Gentle Spirit album? Elements of CSNY, Neil Young and Elliot Smith solo but with a real psychedelic edge.

Lucky you! I missed the show in Norway in August. Yeah, Hollywood and Green grass is the holy grail, but Mockingbird may turn that way, too, imo.

Haven't heard JW yet, will check him out.

Thanks.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 6, 2011 14:13

Great song with Jayhawk...stroke me that Lou Reed would have done a fine cover of this song...his style of melody...

2 1 2 0

Date: September 6, 2011 16:00

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger

Haven't heard JW yet, will check him out.

Thanks.

He's also got members of The Jayhawks playing on the album.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: September 6, 2011 20:18

Love the Jayhawks and I actually really like the first non-Olson effort, Sound of Lies. Looking forward to the new one.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 2, 2011 07:09

Damn..it took an hour of this one on repeat for me to get past this one off the new album...sweet melodies...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 2, 2011 08:55

great band, saw them live in 1993, first time
love HollywoodTown Hall,
havenot heard the new one yet
bye
jeroen

Posted by: fd2005 ()
Date: October 2, 2011 09:03

Truely a great album

Date: October 2, 2011 10:00

I have the new one on order.
Yes, Green Grass and Hollywood are superb, but I have to say that I play "Smile" and "Sound of Lies" just as much.
And "Life Floats By" ROCKS!

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 2, 2011 16:34

Just saw that they are going to be playing in Boston soon - hope I can get tickets.

Still play Tomorrow the Green Grass fairly often, such a great record.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 4, 2011 17:33

had a couple of listens to the new one - sounds ok, but the songwriting doesn't hold up to that on those first two major releases....

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: October 4, 2011 20:00

Now that I've had it for a couple weeks I'd have to say I agree StonesTod. Maybe it'll grow on me and it's still really good by most other bands' standards but the songwriting, to me, isn't up there with their best.

Date: October 4, 2011 20:01

andrewm
Now that I've had it for a couple weeks I'd have to say I agree StonesTod. Maybe it'll grow on me and it's still really good by most other bands' standards but the songwriting, to me, isn't up there with their best.

it would have been hard to recreate that magic anyway...wasn't really expecting it. those first two major-label releases set the bar very high, imo....

Date: October 5, 2011 11:45

Just got back from seeing The Jayhawks. First time seeing the band and it was great. Kinda cool to see the LA crowd give the band a lot of love considering this isn't their hugest market. We were all grooving and enjoying the great show.

And in following a mini-tradition I've started on this board....here's some pics of the show and some extra goodies...

Date: October 5, 2011 12:26

StonesTod
had a couple of listens to the new one - sounds ok, but the songwriting doesn't hold up to that on those first two major releases....

It WILL grow on you.

Funny, I had exactly the same thoughts of Hollywood Town Hall, and needed 7 or 8 spins before I got hooked...

Date: October 5, 2011 12:28

Justin
Just got back from seeing The Jayhawks. First time seeing the band and it was great. Kinda cool to see the LA crowd give the band a lot of love considering this isn't their hugest market. We were all grooving and enjoying the great show.

And in following a mini-tradition I've started on this board....here's some pics of the show and some extra goodies...

That's great, Justin. Lucky you! I'm gonna catch their show here in Norway in February for sure.

Date: October 5, 2011 15:07

DandelionPowderman
StonesTod

It WILL grow on you.

Funny, I had exactly the same thoughts of Hollywood Town Hall, and needed 7 or 8 spins before I got hooked...

ah, well that's the diff between us...i don't need as many spins. once or twice around the block and i know. next?

Date: October 5, 2011 15:14

StonesTod
andrewm

it would have been hard to recreate that magic anyway...wasn't really expecting it. those first two major-label releases set the bar very high, imo....

If you like those two albums, what about the Bunkhouse Album and Blue Earth? Both great, great albums, imo.

Date: October 6, 2011 01:09

DandelionPowderman
That's great, Justin. Lucky you! I'm gonna catch their show here in Norway in February for sure.

Thanks Dandelion! It was a fun night and the whole band was really great to get along with. These guys came at a point in my life when I was just learning how to write songs. Their influence on my writing and playing was a big deal for me.

Date: October 6, 2011 10:12

Justin
DandelionPowderman

Thanks Dandelion! It was a fun night and the whole band was really great to get along with. These guys came at a point in my life when I was just learning how to write songs. Their influence on my writing and playing was a big deal for me.

Same here smileys with beer

Date: October 6, 2011 11:37

Finally got Mockingbird Time yesterday and first thoughts are that it's another classic. It's up there with the latest Wilco, and My Morning Jacket as great new American band albums.

Date: October 6, 2011 21:14

No doubt the Jayhawks are a great band, I have several of their records. I just find it sort of funny how they and bands like Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt and perhaps Wilco have been credited with inventing the whole 'alternative country' thing, when in fact Blue Rodeo was doing it before any of them, an are every bit as good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home