Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

England's Newest Hitmakers - US (London) cover variations
Posted by: rbk ()
Date: August 17, 2016 16:55

I've been fascinated by the discussions of the forthcoming Stones MONO box sets and it prompted me to get out a couple of my original LONDON pressings. When I did I discovered an oddity about the cover graphics of two different copies of the same album. The labels are the same maroon unboxed LONDON, "made in the USA," and the stamped matrix numbers are the same on both LPs. The covers are subtly different however. I researched all over this forum and the net and, while I can find plenty of info on label variations, I could find nothing about the covers.

First up - one version shows the LONDON logo in the upper right in reverse, i.e. white letters on a dark background, with the serial number nearby. The other shows the LONDON in positive, i.e. dark letters on a white background. The serial number and "MONO" are at the bottom.

Re: England's Newest Hitmakers - US (London) cover variations
Date: August 17, 2016 16:56

Secondly - the bottom right of the positive LONDON logo version has the serial number and "MONO" printed there while the other version does not. Is it possible the version without "MONO" is earlier as MONO vs. STEREO was scarcely an issue in 1964?

Date: August 17, 2016 16:57

Finally - On the positive logo version the box promoting the "FREE full color poster" sits over an inch above the bottom of the jacket while the other version the box is about 3/16" from the bottom. The box and type therein are otherwise identical. Note Brian's sleeve and elbow occupy two different parts of the box. This is NOT a matter of the same print being offset when it glued to the jacket.

Anyway, if anybody has any insight on these slight printing variations I'd be fascinated to know what you think. The BACK cover, by the way, is identical in every respect on the two jackets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-17 21:31 by rbk.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 17, 2016 17:45

Generally speaking, the US covers are made of cartoon onto which the sheet is glued, with flip-backs covered by the sheet of the rear cover. For this reason, small differences may show-up, depending on the precision of the sticking process. That said, you've pointed out two very well known major differences.
The positive vs negative logo is not linked to particular stories, the fan club ad has a story, instead. It appeared in the very first issues and was kept till the end of 1965.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 17, 2016 17:54

interesting

Date: August 17, 2016 20:13

1963luca0
Generally speaking, the US covers are made of cartoon onto which the sheet is glued, with flip-backs covered by the sheet of the rear cover. For this reason, small differences may show-up, depending on the precision of the sticking process.

As I noted, and the photos confirm, the placement of graphic elements between the two versions are measurably and markedly different. Not the nominal differences one would encounter with the same print being applied a little high or low.

We are looking at two entirely different printing masters albeit containing the same elements.

Date: August 17, 2016 20:19

I forgot to mention that in my research I did find the covers were printed on three different types of matte card stock. Two that were rough hewn and the other slightly textured and a tiny bit shiny. The positive background logo version with the higher placement of the "free" box is the latter.

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: August 17, 2016 21:44

I have the following records in the 'reversed London logo' sleeve:

And the UK exports are in 'positive London logo' sleeve:

Only these 'positive London logo' sleeves have the mono note right below.

Hendrik Mulder

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-17 21:53 by Hendrik.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 17, 2016 22:47

No music publishing credits on the record, then?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2152
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home