Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: R.I.P. Mister Presley
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 16, 2016 19:48

On this day, in 1977, the King passed on, age 42. Play some Elvis today. Here's a few of my faves.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: R.I.P. Mister Presley
Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: August 16, 2016 20:22

I never tire of hearing this......

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 16, 2016 20:34

RIP - I remember very well that day, watching tele at a friends place in B.C in Canada in 1977.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 16, 2016 20:35

dmay
On this day, in 1977, the King passed on, age 42. Play some Elvis today. Here's a few of my faves.

[www.youtube.com]

Elvis did a fine job, but pointed omitted the line "I've got my pills to ease the pain...can't find a thing to ease the rain" from Danny O'Keefe's original version.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 16, 2016 21:07

Before Elvis, there was nothing - John Lennon

Date: August 16, 2016 21:12

Big Al

thumbs up

Date: August 16, 2016 21:26

The Rolling Stones- Hounddog Live

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 16, 2016 21:58

What was the story how Mick realized that Elvis is dead? He was on some exotic island and the radio was playing Elvis songs non-stop, right?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 16, 2016 22:12

Big Al

I won't start a new thread but, on August 16, 1938 a certain Mr. Robert Johnson passed away. Not to diminish the importance of Elvis to John Lennon, but there was most certainly plenty of good and influential music being made long before Elvis came along. Who knows what Elvis may have sounded like, without the influence of Robert Johnson and his contemporaries. Probably pretty similar but it's also pretty important to remember that much of what Elvis was doing was imitating and modifying what he heard those who went before him doing.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: August 16, 2016 22:43

was watching a brando movie when Cronkite interrupted it with the news u knew when uncle walter showed up in mid aft, something big had happened

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 16, 2016 22:49

I saw Elvis just a few months before he died in 1977 in my hometown of Rochester, NY. I was 21 years old. Most different concert I ever went to. i felt like I was in a time warp. I came to the concert with a girl from the neighborhood who loved Elvis. I wore denim jeans and I had long hair down to my shoulders. I looked liked I could have been Roger Daltry amongst all these dudes wearing leisure suits and slicked back, jet black hair who all looked like Elvis. I looked out of place to say the least! It is still hard to believe that Elvis died at 42, because at the time, he looked like he was more like 62 the way he had abused his body. The Elvis I saw in concert that night was slurring his words and even forgot the words! The man did have some moments of brilliance when he was focused and on (which was sadly few and far between). What put the frosting on the cake for me was when he attempted to sing "My Way" near the end of the concert. Elvis couldn't remember the words so his roadie came out with the words on a piece of paper and Elvis puts on his glasses so he could read them. I am not making this up!
Anyway, still got to see the "the King" in concert.

Posted by: MrHappy ()
Date: August 17, 2016 01:38

On August 15, 1977 my father died suddenly.
It was a shock to everyone in our family and it wasn't until days later that I actually found out Elvis had died.
One of my uncles showed up at our house with a tabloid newspaper with the screaming headline, "The King is Dead."
I was an Elvis fan, but hardly a devotee as many people were.
I was more of a fan of his movies and his early music - things like Hound Dog and Jailhouse Rock.
I was 22 at the time and Elvis being 42 made him seem old to me.
In the years since I can appreciate his impact, and seeing the deaths of so many of my heroes recently - David Bowie, Glenn Frey, etc. - I can kind of understand how his fans felt at the time, kind of the way we would feel if Mick or Pete Townshend or Ray Davies would pass on.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 17, 2016 01:39

i wasnt on some exotic island when elvis died, i was on a day trip to troon.

then we heard the news, i was 8 so had no idea who he was,

ps. for those that dont know troon, its a wee depressing seaside town in scotland.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 17, 2016 02:16

Elvis was the man,if you've never been to graceland you should go.it's really something to see.

His grave has gifts of all sorts covering it,tons of flowers, teddy bears,notes,cards and they come every day from around the globe.so many that the staff rotates them in and out every few day making the display constantly changing,it's bizarre and beautiful.

the car collection across the street is also a must-see,totally kick ass.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 17, 2016 02:30

Robert Johnson also died on August 16th.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 17, 2016 02:35

dgodkin
was watching a brando movie when Cronkite interrupted it with the news u knew when uncle walter showed up in mid aft, something big had happened

Amazing how we remember. I sat down with a TV Dinner, found out from Uncles Huntley-Brinkley, and just for a second thought it was Saturday Night Live.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 17, 2016 02:40

.................................................. The Rockin' Machine - 16 August 1956 - Los Angeles California

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 17, 2016 02:58

MrHappy
On August 15, 1977 my father died suddenly.
It was a shock to everyone in our family and it wasn't until days later that I actually found out Elvis had died.
One of my uncles showed up at our house with a tabloid newspaper with the screaming headline, "The King is Dead."
I was an Elvis fan, but hardly a devotee as many people were.
I was more of a fan of his movies and his early music - things like Hound Dog and Jailhouse Rock.
I was 22 at the time and Elvis being 42 made him seem old to me.
In the years since I can appreciate his impact, and seeing the deaths of so many of my heroes recently - David Bowie, Glenn Frey, etc. - I can kind of understand how his fans felt at the time, kind of the way we would feel if Mick or Pete Townshend or Ray Davies would pass on.

Today is the 15th anniversary of my father's death. It didn't register with me until a few years later that it was the same day that Elvis died. Like you, I didn't come to appreciate Elivs's music and his influence until much later. I hope they're all resting in peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-17 03:04 by latebloomer.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: August 17, 2016 04:48

I was in a taxi cab in New York City. The driver had slicked back 1950s-style Elvis hair. The news came over the radio. The driver pulled the cab to the side of the street and wept.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 17, 2016 06:31

"...we will never again agree on anything as we agreed on Elvis..."

Lester Bangs - Village Voice - 8/77

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-17 08:00 by hopkins.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: August 17, 2016 08:55

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-18 07:06 by jambay.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 17, 2016 14:06

I've been listening to the Way Down In The Jungle Room 2cd set; Elvis still had it, and this was a year before he died.

What happened between 1974 and 1977 was an artist whose confidence drained right away, and was replaced by a gibbering wreck. The 1977 TV Special was the virtual death of Elvis. You listen to the Stax Sessions, the 1974 Memphis Concert, and the Today album, and he's still great. You listen to Jungle Room, and he's beginning to slide, but still good, and then watch the In Concert 19777, and something is radically wrong.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 17, 2016 18:47

mr_dja
Big Al

I won't start a new thread but, on August 16, 1938 a certain Mr. Robert Johnson passed away. Not to diminish the importance of Elvis to John Lennon, but there was most certainly plenty of good and influential music being made long before Elvis came along. Who knows what Elvis may have sounded like, without the influence of Robert Johnson and his contemporaries. Probably pretty similar but it's also pretty important to remember that much of what Elvis was doing was imitating and modifying what he heard those who went before him doing.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Oh, indeed. However, I think Lennon was referring to the Elvis phenomenon and how he revolutionised popular music and culture in 1950's America and Europe. There really wasn't any such act prior to Presley; in that sense, at least. Elvis was certainly the first superstar of rock n' roll. I'm sure this is what Lennon was alluding to.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: August 17, 2016 20:27

-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-18 07:06 by jambay.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home