Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Are Most Fans Of The Stones Fans Of The Beatles?
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 29, 2011 01:00

Bob R you forgot Ain't no use in crying!!!!

Posted by: witterings ()
Date: August 29, 2011 01:10

Who are the Beatles?

It`s nice to be here, .....

Posted by: LillithFlair ()
Date: August 29, 2011 01:13

I love both bands because my mom did and introduced me the their music at an early age. And as I've grown up I still love each band's music.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: August 29, 2011 01:40

The Beatles are fantastic. No reason not to love what they did. They were excellent and awesome, inventive and created things that artists around the world aspired to emulate as well as do. How that can be a strike against the Stones I'll never understand. Just shitty kid shit to say other wise; "The Beatles never did, didn't do" etc.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: August 29, 2011 01:51

The Beatles were my #1 when I was young and musically naive, but as I started listening to the Stones more and more my tastes changed. Still like the Beatles, but today, for instance, on a drive I decided put on the White Album. I planned to listen to the whole thing start-to-finish and found myself skipping about half the songs. I used to love that album, but that was before the Stones kind of ruined the Beatles magic for me.

I guess you could say, and this might go for many of us that weren't even born yet when the Beatles called it quits, that that the Beatles were the gateway band to the harder stuff. Course if it weren't for the poor artistic quality of the vast majority late '80s-early '90s popular music, I never would have discovered the treasure trove of what came before in the first place.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: August 29, 2011 02:19

71Tele
At least The Beatles had the good sense not to allow their body of work to be tainted by years of decay.
Which is why Paul McCartney never released Let It Be... Naked.

Oh, wait. He did. Never mind then.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 29, 2011 03:30

FreeBird
71Tele
At least The Beatles had the good sense not to allow their body of work to be tainted by years of decay.
Which is why Paul McCartney never released Let It Be... Naked.

Oh, wait. He did. Never mind then.

Not sure what your point is, really, but it has nothing to do with the one I made.

Let It Be, Naked was a variation of Let It Be, and certainly no closer to the original "Get Back" album than the Phil Spector officially-released LIB LP, but the Beatles had the class to go out on top, before the songwriting deteriorated, unlike certain other bands.

Date: August 29, 2011 03:33

thewatchman
71Tele
Yes. Although Beatle-bashing has become quite popular sport of late, any idea that these bands are somehow opposites, or that The Beatles are somehow less "authentic" thank the Stones is asinine. At least The Beatles had the good sense not to allow their body of work to be tainted by years of decay.

Tainted by years of decay?

Yes. had the Stones stopped recording when they were at or near the top of their game, they would not have issued stuff that paled in comparison to their work through 1973 or so, or even 1981 if you like. I am glad we don't have a string of second or third tier Beatle albums.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 29, 2011 03:51

71Tele
thewatchman
71Tele
Yes. Although Beatle-bashing has become quite popular sport of late, any idea that these bands are somehow opposites, or that The Beatles are somehow less "authentic" thank the Stones is asinine. At least The Beatles had the good sense not to allow their body of work to be tainted by years of decay.

Yes. had the Stones stopped recording when they were at or near the top of their game, they would not have issued stuff that paled in comparison to their work through 1973 or so, or even 1981 if you like. I am glad we don't have a string of second or third tier Beatle albums.

Are you saying that you wish the Stones had quit in 1973? That you wish that they had never recorded another album? That they never toured again? Is that what you are saying?

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 29, 2011 03:57

the beatles shurely had outstanding songwriting skills ans they were very important if not the most important band for pop music.
but what can i do: the stone sare just 1000000 times more rock n roll!
i accept the beatles, but i LOVE the stones!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 29, 2011 04:08

Love both bands

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 29, 2011 04:09

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: August 29, 2011 04:43

71Tele
thewatchman
71Tele

I thought they were still at the top of their game when they did Bridges. To me Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, and Thief, are as good or better than anything they have ever done and Flip the Switch is a damn fine song. I love Don't Stop that came even later on the 40 Licks album. Some people really like ABB. I honestly think if they decide to do another album we are going to be surprised and could just get another classic? Let's wait and see.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: August 29, 2011 05:04

Love good music, can't help it....

Date: August 29, 2011 06:54

thewatchman
71Tele
thewatchman
71Tele

I thought they were still at the top of their game when they did Bridges. To me Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, and Thief, are as good or better than anything they have ever done and Flip the Switch is a damn fine song. I love Don't Stop that came even later on the 40 Licks album. Some people really like ABB. I honestly think if they decide to do another album we are going to be surprised and could just get another classic? Let's wait and see.

Glad you think so, but in 50 years people (outside of this forum, that is) will still be discussing Sticky Fingers, Exile, etc. while Bridges will be forgotten...in fact it already has been forgotten.

Date: August 29, 2011 06:57

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
thewatchman
71Tele

Are you saying that you wish the Stones had quit in 1973? That you wish that they had never recorded another album? That they never toured again? Is that what you are saying?

What I wish is not terribly relevant. But yes, I wish they had not issued records like Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon, which in my opinion don't add anything to their legacy, and in fact take something away from it. I think I have made my views on another tour clear enough in numerous other posts.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 29, 2011 08:22

Since we heard Beatles before Stones we were Beatles-fans till that day Brian slide us threw 'Little Red Rooster'...

2 1 2 0

Date: August 29, 2011 16:15

71Tele
Not sure what your point is, really, but it has nothing to do with the one I made.

Let It Be, Naked was a variation of Let It Be, and certainly no closer to the original "Get Back" album than the Phil Spector officially-released LIB LP, but the Beatles had the class to go out on top, before the songwriting deteriorated, unlike certain other bands.
My point was that Let It Be... Naked was artistically dishonest because it claimed to be true to the stripped down approach of the original sessions, but in fact it employed lots of trickery, including the worst of them all, Auto-Tune - and that Paul McCartney didn't even have the guts to admit that he did that.

I mean, I don't like Let It Be, I don't think it's a good album, but if attempting to rewrite history (poorly) doesn't taint one's body of work then I don't know what does.

On a side note, if Abbey Road is to be considered The Beatles' swan song, then Let It Be must be their encore - and it's not a very good one at that. Much has been said about Phil Spector's approach to the album, but I think he actually improved on it. And as a matter of fact, John Lennon agreed...

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: August 29, 2011 17:15

I don't want to offend but...
If you don't like the Beatles why are you here?
Why are you discussing music on a site like this, when on the most basic level - you just don't get it.

Date: August 29, 2011 17:23

FreeBird
71Tele

My point was that Let It Be... Naked was artistically dishonest because it claimed to be true to the stripped down approach of the original sessions, but in fact it employed lots of trickery, including the worst of them all, Auto-Tune - and that Paul McCartney didn't even have the guts to admit that he did that.

I mean, I don't like Let It Be, I don't think it's a good album, but if attempting to rewrite history (poorly) doesn't taint one's body of work then I don't know what does.

On a side note, if Abbey Road is to be considered The Beatles' swan song, then Let It Be must be their encore - and it's not a very good one at that. Much has been said about Phil Spector's approach to the album, but I think he actually improved on it. And as a matter of fact, John Lennon agreed...

Let It Be, Naked is a mere curiosity - nothing more. I agree it was dishonest. I also think Let It Be is a relatively weak album, but that's by Beatle standards, which means it is less great than the others. But even LIB gave us some great tracks and the rooftop concert.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 29, 2011 17:48

McCartney didn't release Let It Be... Naked by himself. It was a joint release blessed by all three surviving Beatles and Yoko. Harrison gave his blessing for the project (and 2006's LOVE) before he passed away in 2001. It was the media who pushed the story that it was McCartney's idea alone, because he was dissatisfied with the original. Don't trust everything you read.

And where the hell did people got the impression they're using Auto-Tune??? They do NOT! They used pro-tools to edit the performances and to correct bum-notes - especialy Lennon's abysmal bass parts on The Long And Winding Road.

Date: August 29, 2011 18:13

Blueranger
McCartney didn't release Let It Be... Naked by himself. It was a joint release blessed by all three surviving Beatles and Yoko. Harrison gave his blessing for the project (and 2006's LOVE) before he passed away in 2001.
George Harrison passed away before the album was finished, so he couldn't possibly have heard the final result. Yoko Ono doesn't count. So that only leaves Ringo Starr as the one that gave his blessing (which isn't the same thing as being actively involved).
Blueranger
And where the hell did people got the impression they're using Auto-Tune??? They do NOT! They used pro-tools to edit the performances and to correct bum-notes - especialy Lennon's abysmal bass parts on The Long And Winding Road.
It's quite common (though apparently not ubiquitous) knowledge that Auto-Tune was used on Dig a Pony. It may also have been used on other songs, that's debatable, but Dig a Pony is the only example I need.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 29, 2011 18:22

I'm not : I think the Beatles suck badly. Ray Davis is imo a far better craftsman of pop jewels than the two idiots from Liverpool.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 29, 2011 19:02

thats a rather harsh viewpoint, and one not connected to the importance of Lennon/McCartney...they are two great songwriters, that cant be denied

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: August 29, 2011 19:12

thewatchman
Somebody around here recently said, "the Stones are Saturday night, the Beatles, Sunday morning"! My exact same sentiments.
that's nonsense. the beatles have plenty of rockin' friday night songs and the stones have plenty of "sunday morning" songs.
edit: oops. bob already expressed that point to which i agree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-29 19:14 by ineedadrink.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: August 29, 2011 19:20

71Tele
thewatchman
71Tele

But we have a string of second or third tier solo albums by all 4 Beatles.

Date: August 29, 2011 20:36

stones78
71Tele
thewatchman
71Tele

But we have a string of second or third tier solo albums by all 4 Beatles.

That much is certainly true, but they are not in any way "Beatle" albums. The very first wave of solo Beatle albums (Lennon's "Plastic Ono Band", Harrison's "All Things Must Pass", McCartney's "McCartney" and even a couple of great singles by Ringo) attest to the fact that they had at least one or two more good albums in them.

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: August 29, 2011 20:47

bob r
Love the Beatles...love the Stones... and they were fans of each other and friends..

But I disagree totally on the Stones Sat night / Beatles Sunday Morning thing...

Beatles Sat night: Yer Blues, Back in the USSR, Guitar Gently Weeps, Me & My Monkey, Sanoy Truffle, I want You ( Shes so Heavy ), You Cant Do That, I'm Down, Long Tall Sally, She Said She Said, Get Back, Dont Let Me Down, Its All Too Much, Why Dont We Do It In The Road, Helter Skelter,Revolution, I Wanna Be Your Man, Everybody's Tryin To Be My Baby, Mr Moonlight, Kansas City

Stones Sunday Morning: Back Street Girl, Angie, Winter, Moonlight Mile, Sleep Tonight, All About You, Time Waits For No One, As Tears Go By, The Worst, Losing My Touch, Fool To Cry, Memory Motel, Sweet Black Angel, Wating on a Friend

See, it works both ways. Two great bands for each and every Saturday / Sunday
Something for every taste

I hear ya, but I didn't mean to imply that the Beatles couldn't "rock out" just that overall their music works and fits better on Sunday mornings for me personally. I rarely listen to the Stones on CD. I prefer their live performances as captured on DVD. I never watch or listen to the Stones in the morning hours, most always after sunset. Even the songs you listed by the Stones I would prefer to listen to in the evening hours. Just a personal preference I guess.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 29, 2011 20:48

The Beatles are the biggest band in history and they are excellent.

But I much prefer the Stones.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: August 29, 2011 20:49

Most overrated drivel ever

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2111
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home