Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
o:T. Jethro tull fans here?
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: August 25, 2011 21:04

i Think, for the first time since 25 years I listened to a "Tull"-Album, yesterday.
Just great music. Only albums i have are "Stand up", Benefit, Aqualung and "Songs from the wood". What kind of Music is this: Rock classic..Country rock?-progressive Rock?--Just good Music, whats your opinion?

Re: o:T. Jethro tull fans here?
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 25, 2011 21:11

Havo
i Think, for the first time since 25 years I listened to a "Tull"-Album, yesterday.
Just great music. Only albums i have are "Stand up", Benefit, Aqualung and "Songs from the wood". What kind of Music is this: Rock classic..Country rock?-progressive Rock?--Just good Music, whats your opinion?

Always enjoyed Tull. Remember when they called their big screen "Tull-a-Vision'?

I dont know how I would label them, maybe a category of all thier own. Who would have ever thought a flute could sound so rocking... maybe call it "Flute rock" winking smiley

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 25, 2011 21:13

[www.google.com]

their genre is between progressive rock and folk rock. ;-)

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: August 25, 2011 21:13

great band. All the albums you mention are excellent. my favourite tho would be Heavy Horses - you should check it out.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 25, 2011 21:56

As a flute player, I was enchanted by them when they broke through with "Stand Up". I saw them several times in '69 and they were definitely progressive rock back then. I remember at one show, Ian Anderson went behind the speakers, and Martin Barre took over with a tremendous solo. At the time, I was amazed at how much they sounded like Cream live.(Same night they opened for Zeppelin - what a show). As time went on, they became more of a folk sounding band, IMHO.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 25, 2011 22:04

Aqualung is one of those 10/10 recordings - not a bad track on it. Jethro Tull were fantastic. Superb musicians.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 25, 2011 22:11

Looking forward to the 40th anniversary album that will include a 5.1 mix. I think it comes out next month. It's one of the all time great rock albums.

Date: August 25, 2011 22:43

Silver Dagger
Looking forward to the 40th anniversary album that will include a 5.1 mix. I think it comes out next month. It's one of the all time great rock albums.

Excuse my ignorance Mr Dagger, what's a 5.1 mix?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 25, 2011 22:55

crumbling_mice
Silver Dagger

Surround sound. One central speaker, then two left in front and behind you and the same on the right.

Date: August 25, 2011 22:56

Silver Dagger
crumbling_mice
Silver Dagger

Surround sound. One central speaker, then two left in front and behind you and the same on the right.

Ahhhh, yes - with you now. I will definalty be investing in that.

Posted by: varv ()
Date: August 25, 2011 23:00

One of the greats. Benefit is my favorite but there are many more. Thick As A Brick,Minstrel In The Gallery,Warchild,etc. Stormwatch doesn't get mentioned often but I like it alot-Dun Ringill alone is worth the price of the CD. And don't forget The Christmas Album. Amazing band,top notch musicians.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 25, 2011 23:15

Top flight outfit. Did they ever get in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Because if they didn't, there's some polished turds in there that are way below their level.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 25, 2011 23:30

Havo

Didn't they win a Grammy for Best Heavy Metal Band.....
haha, thats the Grammy's for ya.....a flute wins best heavy metal.
btw, I like JT, saw them perform.

Date: August 25, 2011 23:32

i like them a lot

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: August 25, 2011 23:43

Love Tull. Saw their Aqualung and Thick tours. Thick and Aqualung are quite good but my favorite is Benefit, hands down. That particular record is very "psychedelic" to me. Some Awesome guitar riffs in there. Anderson said they would go into the studio with the vaguest of song ideas and basically make it all up in the studio. He learned flute in his twentys so the band would be different. He was right. Anderson's writing focus was always to have original lyrics.

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: August 26, 2011 00:07

A great band - they made some AWESOME numbers!!!

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: August 26, 2011 00:12

Remember the Stand UP lp jacket with the pop-up when opened? So cool. Stand Up and Benefit are my favorite Tull albums. Liked their bluesy 1st one too.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: August 26, 2011 00:15

Great band. Great musicians. Except for Andersons flute playing and singing I also loved his sound in his acoustic guitar.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: August 26, 2011 00:29

LOVED the band in their heyday, which to me was 1970 - 1979.

In those years I was the world's biggest Tull fan, seeing them five times. The best concert was the first one, A Passion Play tour, 1973, one of the top six or seven shows I ever attended.

Once the 80s rolled around, I started losing interest and got into following other bands.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 26, 2011 00:44

I was a fan of some of their early stuff but never saw them in their hey day. Toward the end of the 70s they really seemed out of place.

I finally saw them last Summer, on a double-bill with another band of their era: Procol Harum, in an outdoor theater near Rochester, NY.

Ian Anderson was really going over the top to get the audience into it, but they just weren't very good. For the most part, they really avoided playing their 'hits', which I can respect, but what they offered instead was really boring. The opener, Procol Harum, even with their lead singer, Gary Brooker, looking slightly bent over...pretty grandfatherly..blew Tull away. They rocked harder, with more passion and were obviously having a good time. Brooker had some very good self-deprecating humor in his bag of stories. Tull was a disappointment, even though I wasn't expecting much from either band at this stage in their careers.

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: August 26, 2011 00:58

Martin Barre never gets the respect and credit he deserves for being one of the all-time guitar monsters.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 26, 2011 01:19

An award winning hard rock/heavy metal band.....according to the grammy's.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 26, 2011 02:06

polythene sam
Martin Barre never gets the respect and credit he deserves for being one of the all-time guitar monsters.
thumbs up

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 26, 2011 03:39

24FPS
Did they ever get in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

No.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 26, 2011 05:26

tatters
24FPS

No.

Let me get this straight. Alice Cooper is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Grateful Dead are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. ABBA is in the R&RHOF. The Bee Gees, Blondie, Neil Diamond, Genesis, The Hollies, Wanda Jackson, Dr. John, Brenda Lee, Madonna, R.E.M., and Run DMC are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and friggin' JETHRO TULL is not. They are midgets compared to the great Jethro Tull.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 26, 2011 06:08

24FPS
tatters
24FPS

No.

Let me get this straight. Alice Cooper is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Grateful Dead are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. ABBA is in the R&RHOF. The Bee Gees, Blondie, Neil Diamond, Genesis, The Hollies, Wanda Jackson, Dr. John, Brenda Lee, Madonna, R.E.M., and Run DMC are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and friggin' JETHRO TULL is not. They are midgets compared to the great Jethro Tull.

Tull is without question the best band not in the Hall of Fame, but the Hall has always hated anything that could be labeled progressive rock. Even Pink Floyd did not get in until their fourth year of eligibility. It took Traffic ten years to get in. Genesis got in only just recently, after being on the ballot for something like 15 years. The Moody Blues and Yes are still not in.

Date: August 26, 2011 06:27

24FPS
tatters
24FPS

No.

alice cooper just got in the HOF. he was eligible for like 10 years before they got him in.

other big names not in the HOF:
george thorogood
rush
YES
deep purple
KISS
boston
foreigner
def leppard
stevie ray vaughan
motley crue

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 26, 2011 09:15

They had one and another decent guitar-solo strange enough...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: August 26, 2011 17:00

from what i understand tull will perform thick as a brick in its entirety for 2012.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: August 26, 2011 20:30

Good band

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1193
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home