Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
So-called lithographs / recent tour posters
Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 23, 2016 10:30

I got somehow confused with the so-called lithographs
I purchased 2 before Christmas on the Stones' US store (the discount they made paid for shipping costs so "only" I paid the real price)
The Nashville poster isn't numbered
The Dallas poster is numbered

Is it an error? A 2nd printing ?
Anyone having similar experience ?

BTW I do seriously doubt that these are authentic lithographs but rather printed posters. The paper is pretty thick but the quality is not to be compared to the lithos available in the mid-90ies which were embossed and featured the signatures of the band.

Re: So-called lithographs / recent tour posters
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 23, 2016 11:07

Hmm, sounds wrong to me. Lately I bought the Berlin poster on eBay. Sure the guy took it from the box set. It has the raised tongue on the bottom right corner and is numbered. I suspect all of them come that way. Not sure about the 2105-16 posters though. But I doubt they're printed on regular paper, my guess. Good luck.

Date: February 23, 2016 11:55

They are from the official website, so no counterfeit.
Still wondering why there are differences
The amount of "lithos" made for a given show seems different thant the amount printed for another one etc...
Very amateurish indeed

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 23, 2016 12:30

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-23 21:30 by Irix.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 23, 2016 12:51

frankotero
Hmm, sounds wrong to me. Lately I bought the Berlin poster on eBay. Sure the guy took it from the box set. It has the raised tongue on the bottom right corner and is numbered. I suspect all of them come that way. Not sure about the 2105-16 posters though. But I doubt they're printed on regular paper, my guess. Good luck.

The lithos from the box set are different. Smaller I think (so I was told). Not the lithos that were on sale (ltd) during the concerts.

Date: February 23, 2016 13:30

Hi Harm, you are right about the size. It's slightly different and there's no texture like the posters sold at the gigs. Wonder if the 2016 posters are the specifications as the 2014 lithos?

Date: February 23, 2016 13:42

There's not any info available about the size difference
I'll check but both "lithos" I bought have the same size and paper quality

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 23, 2016 14:08

frankotero
Hi Harm, you are right about the size. It's slightly different and there's no texture like the posters sold at the gigs. Wonder if the 2016 posters are the specifications as the 2014 lithos?

I bought the Buenos Aires lithos...they are just like posters. The first lithos of 14 (not the box set, BTW, haven't seen them) are much nicer. They only cost 15€

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: February 23, 2016 15:02

I have bought the 10th february poster (no litho at all). Nice one, it will remember me my happiest birthday ever, but just a plain poster. Good print, not much. Why call it litho? In the Estadio Unico were sold for AR$ 250 (U$D 16,50 more or less), why on the official Bravado store says U$D 40? Hope not will be the same poster!
No number at all also.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Date: February 23, 2016 15:30

Hmm, I think they are selling regular posters at the venues and the nice quality lithos online. Actually that makes better sense to me. I have ridiculous memories from 4 gigs carrying around that large envelope trying to keep it safe and pristine. Since they were numbered and so few I thought it was my only chance to have those posters. I was partly correct, think most of them showed up online. Of course never had a chance at Berlin (even at the gig) so I bought the one from the box set. It's okay but I think the original must be nicer. The colors seem a little dull to me. Maybe I'm wrong? I think there are less than 50 in existence. Seem to remember someone saying some of them were destroyed or something.

Date: February 23, 2016 15:48

frankotero, what are the size differences between the one from the venue and the one from the box ?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 23, 2016 16:00

frankotero
Hmm, I think they are selling regular posters at the venues and the nice quality lithos online.

I'm not sure of that. I've seen the same posters being sold both at the venues and online, with no apparent differences between them.

Date: February 23, 2016 16:18

Doc, I'll get back to you on the size difference. I'm at work now. Pretty sure the box set type are slightly smaller. I'm curious if the 2015-16 posters are printed on the same litho paper (with texture) same as 2014.

Posted by: nankerzrk ()
Date: February 23, 2016 16:56

I got the 14 on Fire boxset, lithos are smaller than the Buffalo litho I ordered on its own which is exactly 18" x 24"

Date: February 23, 2016 17:42

OK

Thanks to nankerzrk and ebay, it seems that the regular ones are 18x24 and the deluxe (from the box) are 17x23
Any confirmation would be welcome (frankotero if you can)

nankerzrk, is your Buffalo litho numbered ?

I'll check if there is a size difference between he numbered Dallas and non-numbered Nashville

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 23, 2016 18:03

I bought two San Diego "litho's" during the Zip Code tour - one the day before concert at stadium merch stand for $50, and the other a month or so later when they had the litho/t-shirt bundle sale online for $75.
Both are hand pencil numbered and are of the exact quality (thick paper, etc.), but they are from different editions. The first is from an edition of 650, and the other is from an edition of 350.
I'm pretty sure the 650 edition was from the concert, and the 350 was ordered online.

At any rate, they're awesome 'litho's'...or posters, and while I'm not an expert on the litho printng process, I see no reason to think they aren't what they say they are.
For what it's worth, the one I bought at the concert has a very small spec. (the size of a pinhead) of ink missing along one of the border lines - could have happened during transport.
I also have several of the litho's from the '90's you mention Doc (with the printed on signatures?), but all are currently in storage so can't inspect closely right now.

Date: February 23, 2016 19:24

I checked mine :
Dallas is numbered (out of 850) and a bit bigger than Nashville

Dallas is 46 cm wide and Nashville is 46,5 cm wide
The height was tough to measure since they were rolled but it looks like 0.5 cm bigger too

The offset litho technique is for big series and the classic technique will be expensive for such limited quantities, thats why I doubt these are real lithographs, but rather high quality prints.

The real lithos, made with plates in the 90ies were made in series of 2.500 or 5.000
They are embossed and the quality compared to what I bought is just night and day in favor of the older series.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: February 23, 2016 20:16

Hairball
I bought two San Diego "litho's" during the Zip Code tour - one the day before concert at stadium merch stand for $50, and the other a month or so later when they had the litho/t-shirt bundle sale online for $75.
Both are hand pencil numbered and are of the exact quality (thick paper, etc.), but they are from different editions. The first is from an edition of 650, and the other is from an edition of 350.
I'm pretty sure the 650 edition was from the concert, and the 350 was ordered online.

At any rate, they're awesome 'litho's'...or posters, and while I'm not an expert on the litho printng process, I see no reason to think they aren't what they say they are.
For what it's worth, the one I bought at the concert has a very small spec. (the size of a pinhead) of ink missing along one of the border lines - could have happened during transport.
I also have several of the litho's from the '90's you mention Doc (with the printed on signatures?), but all are currently in storage so can't inspect closely right now.
Thank you for this comparative info on the same poster.
This is the best info on this thread and very interesting, thank you.
The more exact information like this (numbers and sizes and where/how exactly it was obtained) the better.

Thank you Doc for starting this thread, I have been looking at and wondering about these for a long time and people have not been posting much exact information about what exactly is the deal with these posters/lithos/prints.

I hope this thread does not get merged in to other poster threads and over time people can add information about all of these cool posters/lithos/prints that they have been creating for most cities they are playing shows.

These posters/lithos/prints are a great idea but they are not inexpensive
and it will be very interesting to track their value as time goes by.... for instance...

What exactly is being valued?
Where did it come from (concert/Stones web site/ebay/etc/etc?
What is the exact numbering e.g. xx/xxx or did it have a numbering at all?
Exactly how big was it? What concert did it come from?
Was it numbered in pencil or marker?

Thanks in advance to those who add information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-23 20:17 by jambay.

Date: February 23, 2016 20:23

Of course this is all more about the fun than anything else and of course if someone/anyone is happy with what they obtained and what they paid then that is what matters most, but still if people could take a moment to add exact information about which posters/lithos/print they obtained it would make a nice data base. And yes, I am sure some could not care less about these or do not understand why anyone would and I hope those folks move along to another thread that interests them without cluttering this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-23 20:23 by jambay.

Date: February 23, 2016 23:53

Doc and anyone that wants to know. The 14 On Fire Litho measures 18 X 24 inches. The one's in the box set are 22 & 3/4" high by 17" wide. The extra space on height is for the embossed tongue. Greetings.

Date: February 24, 2016 04:01

frankotero
Doc and anyone that wants to know. The 14 On Fire Litho measures 18 X 24 inches. The one's in the box set are 22 & 3/4" high by 17" wide. The extra space on height is for the embossed tongue. Greetings.
I want to know, Thank you!

Date: February 24, 2016 07:06

Thanks for the info frankotero !

Now the mystery remains on why some "lithos" sold separately officially are numbered and others not...

Date: February 24, 2016 11:36

Sorry Doc, don't know the answer to the un-numbered posters. My guess is the numbered lithos were sold at the gigs. When demand was high they printed more and sold them online?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 24, 2016 18:40

Could be true for some lithos frankotero, but as I mentioned in first reply the two San Diego lithos I bought at the concert and later online are both numbered yet from different editions (350 and 650).
Just guessing, but since it was the first show of Zip Code maybe they wanted to keep it legit and the 2nd online edition was numbered, but as the tour progressed they didn't bother?
And then later some that were sold online that were numbered were leftovers from first edition that didn't sell at concert? I believe the San Diego lithos sold out at concert as a merch stand was outside stadium the day before the show giving many more the opportunity to purchase - including people who weren't even going to the concert.

Posted by: dhinkle555 ()
Date: February 24, 2016 21:13

I purchased both of the poster/lithos at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway concert, the one with the black background with the venue or city tongue and the name of the opening act was numbered, the one with the "art" on it was not. I purchased the one with the black background and Buddy Guy on it at Milwaukee and it was numbered. I purchased the Detroit "art" hood ornament poster from the Stones online store and it is not numbered. Not sure about the rest of them but this may be the approach that was taken, ie, "art" posters not numbered.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 24, 2016 21:57

I will say I purchased the litho box sets for Europe and Asia and they are STUNNING! Very very nice. In well made boxes and all numbered on heavy stock paper. Very well done!

Date: February 24, 2016 22:51

White8, do you have any 14 On Fire Lithos (bought at concert) to compare with those in the box set. I'm curious if there's any difference in color. I know the paper texture, size and embossed tongue make them slightly different. Those sets must be beautiful I'm sure.

Date: February 24, 2016 23:11

dhinkle555
I purchased both of the poster/lithos at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway concert, the one with the black background with the venue or city tongue and the name of the opening act was numbered, the one with the "art" on it was not. I purchased the one with the black background and Buddy Guy on it at Milwaukee and it was numbered. I purchased the Detroit "art" hood ornament poster from the Stones online store and it is not numbered. Not sure about the rest of them but this may be the approach that was taken, ie, "art" posters not numbered.

My cowboy Texas litho is numbered...
The Nashville "art" litho isn't

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 28, 2016 21:05

frankotero
White8, do you have any 14 On Fire Lithos (bought at concert) to compare with those in the box set. I'm curious if there's any difference in color. I know the paper texture, size and embossed tongue make them slightly different. Those sets must be beautiful I'm sure.
No I didn't get any from the 14 On Fire, but would like to get the Detroit one.

For the box sets they really are on very heavy stock paper/card type stock. hand written numbers, with wax paper between each print. They are large too!

2014/2015 Tour "lithos"
Date: June 20, 2016 16:10

I have a few questions about the recent so-called lithos.
I heard that the ones in the box set were slightly different from the ones sold individually. What is the difference ?

How to know if they are from a splitted box ?
My Australia lithos (got 2) have a very small copyright writing on the bottom left, but are not numbered.
My Texas 2015 (bought on rs.com) is numbered and sightly (approx. 1 cm) higher thant the others I have, like Nashville which isn't numbered but bought on the same day.

Any explanation ?
Do some of you have similar experiences ?
Thanks

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1521
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home