Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question about the strings on Moonlight Mile
Posted by: RnT ()
Date: August 22, 2011 14:22

I really like the stringparts on MM. How was that done? The record inlay of Sticky Fingers says P. Buckmaster: strings. Zentgraf's site appoints Paul Buckmaster as the 'arranger' of strings. I wonder who's actually playing the strings (and I'm not even sure if these are real strings they're talking about). Anyone?

Re: Question about the strings on Moonlight Mile
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 22, 2011 14:35

Real strings, under guidance of Paul. Basically he wrote and arranged parts and I assume conducted them during recording session where the strings were overdubbed.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 22, 2011 14:37

well, since it's not a classical record but a rock and roll one, strings are never really credited. although I think they're real.
Buckmaster arranged them indeed and he gets the whole credit; that's the way it's done. the guy's good, he worked with Elton John.

I hate strings and rock connection, but this one worked really, really fine.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 22, 2011 14:53

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 22, 2011 15:27

Real strings, but as one wise-guy critic once put it, "Only Paul Buckmaster could make real strings sound like a mellotron".

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 22, 2011 15:28

If you want to hear Buckmaster at his best then check out Elton's incredible Madman Across The Water.

He was considered so far ahead of his time that Miles Davis wanted to work with him. Sadly I don't think that liaison ever happened.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 22, 2011 16:25

his other great orchestration:

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 22, 2011 17:15

tatters
Real strings, but as one wise-guy critic once put it, "Only Paul Buckmaster could make real strings sound like a mellotron".

Not so wise though cos they don't sound anhything like a mellotron. confused smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1651
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home