Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Is there anybody else out there who is totally unmoved by the whole Super Heavy thing?
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 20, 2011 16:29

Yeah, I live in Jakarta. I am from the US, Detroit, but working in Jakarta, going on four years now.

Re: Is there anybody else out there who is totally unmoved by the whole Super Heavy thing?
Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: August 20, 2011 16:33

Oh I forgot, I love Mick's pink suit in the first SH video ;-)

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 20, 2011 17:04

Unmoved is an understatement. The whole superheavy thing is cringing...Jagger flouncing around with three artists struggling to keep their careers. Dave Stewart should have been arrested by the music police way back in the seventies when he first crawled out from under his stone. Stone, that brings me to Joss Stone, she has a decent voice and her career seemed to be doing ok only to fizzle out - hence she's had to hook up with too OAP's to try and kick start it. Stone, that brings me to Jagger - what the @#$%& does he think he is doing besides making a complete twat of himself in a pathetic attempt to remain relevant/current. Give it up Mick and do what you are best at and do it with those who you do it best with!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 20, 2011 18:33

crumbling_mice
The whole superheavy thing is cringing

No, it isn't

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 20, 2011 18:35

Rolling Hansie
crumbling_mice

No, it isn't

Yes it is smoking smiley

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 20, 2011 19:09

I find Mick Jagger, out of the context of the Rolling Stones, cringeworthy.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 20, 2011 19:34

i give Mick credit for trying things outside of the "Stones box". It is the most interesting
thing (to me) of anything he's done with Dave Stewart. Visually, I like the Miracle Worker
video but in both the video "acting" & vocally, Mick seems to be trying too hard.....he's a double parody.
He's like Mick doing Jimmy Fallon doing Mick. Know what I mean? That being said..I still sort of like it.

i look forward to hearing the entire album.

i'm not a big fan of that Alfie movie soundtrack he did with Dave Stewart but I saw
when Mick was accepting the award for Best Soundtrack (American Music Awards or something)
and Mick was genuinely excited...happy that his "solo" material was finally validated (imo)....so it's
no wonder he sticks with DS.

It's too bad his collaboration with Lenny Kravitz didn't produce better material.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 20, 2011 19:41

R
I find Mick Jagger, out of the context of the Rolling Stones, cringeworthy.

sometimes it makes one wonder if the whole Jagger/Stones mystique was merely done with smoke & mirrors.
if you told me it was..i would not be surprised. these days we call it "branding". winking smiley

agree that Mick's done a lot of cringeworthy things when Stoneless...but i think Super Heavy is
the least cringeworthy.....but I should probably reserve my opinion til i hear the entire album.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 20, 2011 20:10

Heard 'Miracle Worker' for the first time last night, sandwiched on a home-made compilation between 'Dancin' With Mr. D.' from Brussells, and 'Grown Up All Wrong'. 'Miracle Worker' wasn't bad, but it was terribly underwhelming. I don't understand what A.R. Rahman, a great producer, added to this. The Reggae beat was plain and ordinary. It was a breezy, summery song but really didn't add up to much considering the talents involved.

I am sure am glad 'Grown Up All Wrong' followed. It was Brian guitar at it's most primitive and hypnotic.

Date: August 20, 2011 20:19

IMO Jagger just doesn't work as a minor player; or a co-singer in a choir chorus.
His voice is way too individual; plus his singing style is by now so fundamentally shaped by his mannerisms.
He has to be a lead singer; or if he is a BU singer then it has to be sort of "featured". Like "You're So Vain" worked great; :I Can Feel The Fire" too. They were rock songs. And they were "inside jobs". But as much as Jagger wants and desires it - to be seen as a pure musician who can morph at will, he just isn't that.
I think you got Marley, Rahman and Joss Stone, who blends very, very well on one side; then Jagger sticks out like a sore thumb. I hear him trying to sound wordly back there; half Jamaican accent, half Slavic, half NY Star.
I think if he really wants to do this kind of music badly, he should do it alone. Drop Dave Stewart too. What does Jagger see in him ?

Date: August 20, 2011 20:30

crumbling_mice
Rolling Hansie
crumbling_mice

No, it isn't

Yes it is smoking smiley

LOL, no it isn't

-------------------

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 20, 2011 20:30

Don't you have anything better to do than start such a thread?

Date: August 20, 2011 20:35

Title5Take1

Good question. But it could be just for fun

-------------------

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: August 20, 2011 20:49

Title5Take1

Don't you have anything better to do than pontificate from your moral high ground?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 20, 2011 20:53

aint heard it...

Date: August 20, 2011 20:56

Baxter Thwaites
Don't you have anything better to do than pontificate from your moral high ground?

So I was right ? It is just for fun ?

-------------------

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 20, 2011 21:01

I saw a book once called "Pontificating for fun and profit", but I dont think it said anything about the "gravitationally-challenged".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 20, 2011 21:08

Baxter Thwaites
Title5Take1

Look baxter...if it were keith in this band, instead of mick you'd be waving the flag.

you have absolutely no credibility, so i consider your position to be irrelevant.

from what I've seen, your unable to be impartial, so it's hard to take you very seriously.

Date: August 20, 2011 22:42

treaclefingers
Baxter Thwaites
Title5Take1

Look baxter...if it were keith in this band, instead of mick you'd be waving the flag.

you have absolutely no credibility, so i consider your position to be irrelevant.

from what I've seen, your unable to be impartial, so it's hard to take you very seriously.

Hey treacle, why are you taking it all so seriously?

Credibility? Who needs credibility - it's a music forum. I think you are confusing it with something serious.

Waving the flag for Keith? He doesn't need me to wave a flag for him. I just don't particularly like Super Heavy.

So my advice to you treacle is sit back, relax and don't get so wound up.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: August 20, 2011 23:45

I say leave Mick alone, he is trying out something new and trying to be creative. i like the single and good luck to him. He has done it all and been the best so why not try out something new, everyone may not like it but he can do it without losing face if it's rubbish (which it's not) . Having said all that i wish he would get the boys together for one last bash.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 20, 2011 23:51

I'm not unmoved,but I'm not moved either....I'm somewhere in the middle.

Date: August 20, 2011 23:55

Baxter Thwaites

So I was right ? It is just for fun ?

-------------------

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 21, 2011 00:18

It looks like he's just playing and having some fun ... which is ok,
but for me, it's like:

"WORLDS COLLIDE!" yawning smiley

I love music of The Stones and Mick and when he does spoofs of himself like SNL or on Jimmy Fallon ...

but this seems like he's trying to be both. I'm not wild about the music and the schtick together here. I'd have to give the music another listen without watching the silly Mick-parody video before I decide if I like the music.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 21, 2011 00:30

So many ideas about what Mick Jagger should or shouldn't do with his life..about what does and doesn't give him credibilty.........if he took note of every utterance,eye rolling smiley.. I guess though he hears and reads stuff from time to time and so comes up with lyrics like this....................................

Hide away hide away

Make sure that I never come back
Disappear and I never come back

I'm gonna pack up all my bags
Vanish while I can
Gonna leave this town behind
Pay it all no mind
I'm gonna fly away
And no one's gonna find me

Keep my destination quiet
Take an early morning flight
Never tell a soul
Just light out on my own
I'm gonna fly away
And no one's gonna find me

I'm gonna wear some fake disguise
Change the colour of my eyes
Yes I'm going hide away
And you're gonna be surprised
I'll be wise before my time
I'm going hide away

I'm gonna rent a small hotel
Throw away my cell
Cut off all my hair
Sweep away my cares
I'm gonna fly away
And no one's ever gonna find me

I'm out of everybody's reach
Out on some twisted beach
I'm gonna hide away
Dissolve right out this scene
Out of everybody's dreams
I'm gonna hide away
Hide away

Hide away

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: August 21, 2011 00:33

Superheavy is shit

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: August 21, 2011 00:52

"Greatest record since Exile On Mainstreet"........Ben Dover / The Cincinnati Tribune

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 21, 2011 00:54

Billboard Magazine doesn't think much about Superheavy:

Billboard magazine predicts tough sell for SuperHeavy album

Add a comment
Carla Hay, Rolling Stones Examiner
August 20, 2011 - Like this? Subscribe to get instant updates.

The members of Mick Jagger's band SuperHeavy may have had hits with other projects, but SuperHeavy's debut album may not be one of those hits, according to Billboard magazine, the leading U.S. music industry trade publication.

In its issued dated August 27, 2011, Billboard has an article on SuperHeavy with a sidebar analysis of what the album is projected to sell, based on solo music sales of SuperHeavy's band members.

SuperHeavy consists of Rolling Stones lead singer Jagger, Joss Stone, Eurythmics co-founder Dave Stewart, Damian Marley and Oscar-winning "Slumdog Millionaire" songwriter/composer A.R. Rahman.

SuperHeavy's eponymous debut album (produced by Jagger and Stewart) is set for release on September 20, 2011, in the United States and Canada. The album will be released in other countries on September 19, 2011. Universal Republic is handling the U.S. release, while A&M is handling the release outside of the United States. Both companies are part of Universal Music Group.

As previously reported, the "SuperHeavy" album will have two versions: a standard edition with 12 tracks and a deluxe edition with 16 tracks. The album will be available in digital and CD formats.

The Billboard article on SuperHeavy doesn't really have any new information from the band members, but A&M/Universal Music managing director Amy Lee says in the article that SuperHeavy has no immediate plans to make any public appearances as a group to promote the album. "All of the members will be doing media interviews and appearances in connection with other projects," reports Billboard.

According to Billboard, the record company plans to market SuperHeavy mostly through advertising and Facebook.

Although there is speculation that SuperHeavy might tour in 2012, the band has not announced any live performances so far. Stone and Stewart will be touring separately to promote their respective solo albums: Stone's "LP1" (released in the U.S. and Canada on July 26) and Stewart's "The Blackbird Diaries" (set for a U.S./Canadian release date on August 23).

The "SuperHeavy" album's first single is "Miracle Worker," available in digital format only. "Miracle Worker" went on sale in the United States and Canada on July 12, 2011. The single was initially released in other countries on July 7, 2011. The reggae-styled "Miracle Worker" has gotten mostly positive reviews from critics, but it has not made an impact on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. (Click here to read a roundup of reviews.)

As previously reported, the music video for "Miracle Worker" (directed by Stewart) premiered on August 12, 2011, and has gotten mostly positive reactions from people who posted comments on the Internet.

But positive reviews don't necessarily add up to a hit, as Billboard notes. Jagger's music outside of the Rolling Stones has sold 810,000 copies in the U.S. since 1991 (compared to 25 million with the Rolling Stones). Stewart's solo work has sold even less. Jagger, Stewart and Stone previously worked together on the soundtrack to the 2004 remake of the movie "Alfie," which peaked at No. 171 on the Billboard 200 album chart and sold only 74,000 copies in the Untied States.

Out of all the SuperHeavy members, Stone has sold the most for her solo music (3 million in the U.S., according to Billboard), but her sales have been declining with each of her subsequent solo albums. Marley is a successful reggae artist (with 1.5 million sold in the U.S.), and Rahman had an international hit with the "Slumdog Millionaire" song "Jai Ho," which hit No. 5 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. But other than his "Slumdog Millionaire" music, Rahman is not considered a big contender on mainstream pop charts in English-speaking countries.

The Billboard article implies that because SuperHeavy's music has a variety of international influences that are not mainstream pop, it could be a blessing and a curse for the band's music sales. The album may sell better outside of the United States in countries where reggae and Indian music are considered more mainstream.

Universal Music is also considering the possibility that SuperHeavy might get nominated for a Grammy, which could spur sales and public interest in the band. Nominations for the 54th annual Grammy Awards will be announced November 30, 2011. The 54th annual Grammy Awards ceremony takes place in Los Angeles on February 12, 2012.

Several Grammy categories have been eliminated, beginning with the 54th annual Grammy Awards. The Grammy Award field for world music now has just one category: Best World Music Album, the category in which SuperHeavy has the best shot of scoring a nomination. The Grammy field for world music previously had two categories: Best Traditional World Music Album and Best Contemporary World Music Album.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Billboard magazine predicts tough sell for SuperHeavy album - National Rolling Stones | Examiner.com [www.examiner.com]

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 21, 2011 00:58

Oh come on retired dog!

The bridge in Outta Control is genius, the mood might be Papa was a rollin stone but the song soon goes elsewhere, mostly cos of the great chordstructure in the bridge.

I agree though that the chorus is SH%#TE, only 2 chords, they could've done something better with the chorus, I'll give you that.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 21, 2011 07:20

Baxter Thwaites
treaclefingers
Baxter Thwaites
Title5Take1

Credibility? Who needs credibility - it's a music forum. I think you are confusing it with something serious.

Waving the flag for Keith? He doesn't need me to wave a flag for him. I just don't particularly like Super Heavy.

Don't start a thread if you don't want the feedback...you said it was like watching paint dry. IMO, anything Mick does out of the Stones you'd have a problem with, and you didn't actually address the point I made, which is if this we're Keith's project, you'd be salivating.

Date: August 21, 2011 08:30

treaclefingers
Baxter Thwaites
treaclefingers
Baxter Thwaites
Title5Take1

Don't start a thread if you don't want the feedback...you said it was like watching paint dry. IMO, anything Mick does out of the Stones you'd have a problem with, and you didn't actually address the point I made, which is if this we're Keith's project, you'd be salivating.

What are you? Some sort of thread quality control officer?

For the record I loved Wandering Spirit and was totally obsessed about it when it came out. I just find the rest of his somewhat limited solo cannon to be a bit limp wristed. Many will agree that MJs solo work is weak. But for the record I have no particular desire to knock Mick. Your opinion that I have a problem with anything that Mick does outside the Stones is flawed. I would love him to do something I would like.

As for flag waving for Keith. Yes, I love his solo work. But I did think Wingless Angels was tedious shit.

I don't salivate over anything. I suspect that you salivate over everything, but mainly due to some sort of medical condition.

Get well soon!!!!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1465
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home