Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: If Kurt Cobain is mentioned with Hendrix, then Amy Winehouse sure as hell can...
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 20, 2011 21:12

LillithFlair
Sleepy City
stonesrule
In the great history of rock/pop music think Cobain is a minor icon.
If you ask a hundred music fans of diverse ages many of them would barely know who he is. His brief list of songs doesn't qualify him for major attention.

It depends on the age group. I think most people aged 30-35 know who he is, but probably not many teenagers or people in their 50s.

I'm a Gen-Xer so I'm biased but plenty of teens know who Cobain and Nirvana is. I've found that arguing about musical preference is a bit like arguing about religion or politics. People feel very passionately about their favorites and take it personally if they are insulted and the whole thing just becomes a circular argument.

I loved Nirvana, Kurt wrote some moving and amazing songs, he was a bright and funny guy in his interviews and reinvigorated the music industry stuck in Hair Band Hell. His influence, especially among my generation was major. In my opinion a bit part of it is generational. Boomers have mostly contempt for Gen-Xers (and we often return the favor). They often talk about how much better, cooler, more influential their generation was. Well there were more of you and you come first, duh. And we got stuck with a lot of your messes. And that is a big part of what Nirvana and those other bands expressed. Remember they came to national prominence in 1992/1993 when a lot of us were getting out of college, and there was a nice big recession and not a lot of jobs for us. Hence the whole McJob's thing. But somehow instead we got labeled slackers, when most of the people I know my age worked and went to school plus were active in other things as well.

Not trying to convert anyone to my way of thinking or to debate. It matters not at all who does or doesn't like Kurt Cobian. But just to explain from the point of view of a fan and contemporary if you will. Hope this rambly post made sense. smiling smiley

I'm also a Gen-X'er and I do have to say that the whole Seattle sound was welcome when it first appeared at the beginning of the 90's but for me was wearing thin by the time of Cobain's death.

It would have been interesting to see how Nirvana's music would have evolved beyone the grunge sound, or if it would have.

We'll never know I guess. I find Pearl Jam quite boring right now, so perhaps that isn't a good sign.

Re: If Kurt Cobain is mentioned with Hendrix, then Amy Winehouse sure as hell can...
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 30, 2011 12:59

Although Cobain is more important I changed my opinion when it comes to Amy Winehouse. I mean this lady wrote her own material. She should be mentioned with the greatest if you consider her voice and her input on pop music today. She's not Hendrix nor the leader of a new generation like Cobain, shes more obscure. A true talant, the greatest of this decade without a doubt.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 30, 2011 18:16

Forget Cobain to Lennon. The question is Cobain to Winehouse. Cobain led teh grunge movement and helped end the era of crap hair bands and metal with stripped down flannel shirt and jeans look and stripped down songs packed with raw emotion - even if some of those messages were depressing.

Amy Winehouse was a pop creation who found some success after enlisting the help of true new soul musicians (including some of the Dap Kings). OK voice, sold lots of records for a brief period, but she was much more 'influenced' than in 'influencer'. She will remembered much more for her offstage issues than anything she did on stage.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 30, 2011 20:20

i heard a discussion about the 27 club recently and brian jones was left out.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home