Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How Would You Rate Jagger's Guitar Skills?
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: August 13, 2011 22:33

What do the musicians on this board think of his guitar skills: excellent, good, fair, terrible, or get off the stage now you can't play. I think he does a pretty good job on Some Girls, and he hit some pretty good licks on Sad, Sad, Sad also. It is interesting to see Jagger on stage with a guitar, as it does not seem to happen that often.

Re: How Would You Rate Jagger's Guitar Skills?
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 13, 2011 22:43

flilflam
What do the musicians on this board think of his guitar skills?

Better than Keith & Ronnie's vocal skills...

Here's a goodie:

Posted by: bam ()
Date: August 14, 2011 00:10

I didn't know Mick could do that!

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 14, 2011 00:35

bam
I didn't know Mick could do that!

He's been practising! winking smiley

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 14, 2011 00:49

Yeah, I've seen that before...Mick is AWESOME! He's learned a lot in 20 years! Great voice too!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 14, 2011 01:48

mickschix
Great voice too!

smileys with beer

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 14, 2011 01:59

Two-fold.
On the one hand there is nothing special; he plays to write. And since he writes a lot, and finds himself in musical ambience a lot he has gotten proficient.
Jagger strumming the intro to "Some Girls" in the Scorsese film is Jagger's best playing IMO.
And that brings me to the good side. You can tell his playing has been honed in the studio; behind click tracks. His timing is impeccable.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: August 14, 2011 02:30

Wow... Not bad! Brings back memories of the original Stones release of this song and the fantastic slide on it. Nice post of Micks talents!

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: August 14, 2011 02:37

Fair, which is equivalent with average.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: August 14, 2011 04:23

Answering the question in the thread's title: very highly. He obviously has some limitations, but within those his playing often can't be bettered. I'm thinking of Sway, Fingerprint File, Sad Sad Sad, etc.

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: August 14, 2011 04:51

These day's he's probably a better player than Keith. Plus, we don't know what he's fully capable of. I'm not seeing he's Jeff Beck, but it's not like he's gonna come out on stage with Ron and Keith on stage and take over.

Posted by: bbkink ()
Date: August 14, 2011 06:30

Now this is a thread! I have always been a fan of Jagger's guitar skills, even the blues slapping he does in Performance. His playing on Sway is favorite.

[savoirfaire-hoorayforhollywood.blogspot.com]

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: August 14, 2011 08:45

mick is definitely not awesome as a guitar player. john mclaughlin is awesome. jeff beck is awesome. mick jagger is nothing special.

Posted by: zeus ()
Date: August 14, 2011 08:49

He has improved throughout the years but he is a better harmonic player.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 14, 2011 08:59

I would like to see added to each "rating/review of Jagger's guitar skills"...... what exactly makes anyone here feel qualified to rate Mick's skills. What has anyone here done to be worthy to judge Mick Jagger's skills.

I am not being snotty, or snide, I am honestly interested to know what would make anyone feel that they are qualified to make such a judgement about Mick Jagger.

Date: August 14, 2011 09:17

Sleepy City

It would have been nice to see some more "love" between Jagger and Richards in that clip..... maybe like if Mick had been working on that slide bit for a while... then Keith could give him an "atta-boy mate, nice job" or at least smiled at him or something.... they all look like they could be down in a mine shaft hammering coal out of the walls or sewing pants in a factory somewhere... iphone rock and roll is supposed to be fun. SMILE... DARN YA SMILE... but then again.... I am not really qualifed to judge how they should react to each other... I am just posting this so I have something to read later. ; )

btw- a tip on playing slide guitar is to warm that glass up... even putting it under your arm for a bit will do the trick... maybe... ah.... who knows?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-14 09:19 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 14, 2011 09:19

Max'sKansasCity
I would like to see added to each "rating/review of Jagger's guitar skills"...... what exactly makes anyone here feel qualified to rate Mick's skills. What has anyone here done to be worthy to judge Mick Jagger's skills.

I am not being snotty, or snide, I am honestly interested to know what would make anyone feel that they are qualified to make such a judgement about Mick Jagger.

smileys with beer
Thank you for saying what I was thinking!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 14, 2011 09:20

I've played guitar for 30-something years, played in a band for eight years running, and own more than a few guitars.

Jagger has elevated his playing over the years to the point where he's a mediocre guitarist. His lines on Some Girls in Shine a Light are clamping across a fret board on an open tuned guitar. Any submoron who has never played guitar could pick up that part with five minutes practice.

Date: August 14, 2011 09:25

ab
I've played guitar for 30-something years, played in a band for eight years running, and own more than a few guitars.

Cool, I'd love to see some music clips man.
You must have some youtube clips up? to market the band?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 14, 2011 09:27

ab

Jagger has elevated his playing over the years to the point where he's a mediocre guitarist. His lines on Some Girls in Shine a Light are clamping across a fret board on an open tuned guitar. Any submoron who has never played guitar could pick up that part with five minutes practice.

Congratulations on your success

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 14, 2011 09:47

Max'sKansasCity
ab

Cool, I'd love to see some music clips man.
You must have some youtube clips up? to market the band?

Nothing on youtube, now or in the future. We're all perfectly content in our day jobs and have no interest in marketing. I play as a hobby with a bunch of friends I've known since childhood. It's our equivalent of a foursome that gets together weekly for golf or tennis, only louder. We do a handful of gigs a year, mostly parties in which our friends with similar bands get together and play. My wife calls us geezer rockers.

Between 47 years of following the Stones and playing Stones songs in crappy little bands for 30-plus years, I'm in a reasonable position to state an informed opinion about Jagger's ability as a guitarist. He ain't much. There are millions of kids in the world's garages who can play guitar as well as Mick Jagger. But he's your hero and therefore immune from critical assessment.

I'm puzzled: What in his playing makes anyone here think he's got anything more than a rudimentary grasp of the guitar? I'm not hearing it, on Sway, on Moonlight Mile, throughout Some Girls, throughout the albums since '89, etc. And I'm not someone who's only dazzled by technique (witness putting up with Keef's playing on the last tour). Please explain.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-14 09:54 by ab.

Date: August 14, 2011 10:02

I'm puzzled: What in his playing makes anyone here think he's got anything more than a rudimentary grasp of the guitar?

I dont see many praising his playing, as usual it is mostly bashing, which is typical of IORR. I didnt say a word because I am not worthy to judge his playing, but it sounds fine to me, and I respect him for putting it out there for all to see and judge.

Posted by: Telecaster_man ()
Date: August 14, 2011 12:40

He´s better than me at least...he had good teachers thumbs up

---------------------------------------------
Shattered !!!
---------------------------------------------

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: August 14, 2011 14:28

Max'sKansasCity
For me personally... Nothing. I'm just giving my opinion. I know what I like and when I hear Jagger's playing, I like it. So someone here claims that millions of others can do it too? That's completely irrelevant, as they didn't do it. I've never heard a single recording of Sway in which the rhythm guitar beats that of the original. Anyone who thinks he can do better, or even just as good, is welcome to post a sample.

Date: August 14, 2011 14:42

FreeBird
......Anyone who thinks he can do better, or even just as good, is welcome to post a sample.

smiling smiley Yup, that is kind of what I was getting at, if someone thinks Mick sucks so bad, if someone thinks that Mick is just a lame garage player, would that someone mind showing us what they can do? I always like seeing people play, lets see some.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 14, 2011 14:45

He's ok to me.
Does he play melodies and solos too?

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 14, 2011 15:00

There is nothing wrong with Mick's playing, he would be the first to clarify that he isn't a fantastic guitarist, but, he can get by and he also plays piano, harmonica, and sings. It's all about relativity, Mick is poor in relation to say JImi Hendrix, but a lot better than Rod Stewart. Fair play to him for doing it and I'd quite like to hear him do a few more acoustic blues songs.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: August 14, 2011 15:14

I've seen him a bunch of times, and the slide on I Can't Be Satisfied was better than I thought he could do. The first few times he picked up a guitar and strummed in concert I didn't see the slightest technique. This was better. Not great, but better. He's improved.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 14, 2011 16:14

Jagger has a terrible technique, but he has a knack for timing and sounds. There's quite some guitar parts by Jagger that are quite interesting due to his feeling of timing.

But as with the Brian Jones discussion -some things can sound difficult, or seem to demand technical skills. But to play Just Can Be Satisfied in open tuning is actually really easy. Anyone with some basic feeling for music can learn that in a couple of days.

Mathijs

Posted by: nobs ()
Date: August 14, 2011 19:43

Calm down on the vibrato Mick, man his chicken must really get choked!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1688
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home