Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Andrew Loog Oldham
Posted by: varilla ()
Date: August 2, 2011 19:41

I just started to read Andrew´s book Rolling Stoned. Seems to be very interesting. He was right in the center of the action in those early days.
What a character!!
Anybody here ever met him? any stories about him?

Re: Andrew Loog Oldham
Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: August 2, 2011 20:06

I've read both Stoned (I believe Rolling Stoned is the French version) and 2Stoned, and they are fascinating books. ALO was the most outrageous upfront, confident kid of the 60's and he certainly didn't get his deserved thanks from MPJ at the Stones' induction into the Hall of Fame (Pete Townshend mentioned him in his intro though). He made the whole thing happen, then lost the plot (not surprising really) but then miraculously found it again. Some of it is not pretty reading but he includes some extremely unflattering comments about himself from others, as you'll no doubt find. Read them both, you won't regret it ! There is a 3rd tome in the offing, in about 5 months or so. Also, if you get the chance to go to Bogota where ALO now lives then do....I did recently and had a whale of a time there !!
Chris

Satisfied since 1976

Date: August 2, 2011 23:14

Wow! You´ve been in Bogota with him? How was it? How long ago? Was he over the excesses already?
Man, he was the one that got Stu out of the picture! That´s how influential he was. He was the one that thru the stone from my point of view.
For sure, a GIANT interview must be this ALO

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 2, 2011 23:54

He did a screening of Charlie is My Darling last October (I think) in Vancouver, where he lives part of the time.

It was fantastic seeing and hearing him regale us with old stories, and answer questions from the audience.

I asked a question, but I can't even remember what I asked. I just wanted to be able to ask him a question!

The movie was great as well, although VERY poor quality, taken off the internet, if you can believe it.

Date: August 3, 2011 17:24

A few years ago, ALO produced and even sing a bit in a CD of an argentinian band, Ratones Paranoicos, a good band, obviously totally Stones inspired, who opened for the Stones in Buenos Aires.
The guys from the band said it was an awsome experience to work with him.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: August 3, 2011 18:03

Andrew loog has been a fairly frequent guest on "Little Steven's Underground Garage," which always has a significant Stones quotient regardless. It's always cool to hear his take on the old days and records, as well as whatever else they are talking about.

Not sure if you can download old shows or not but here is the website anyway...just search Andrew Loog etc....

Little Steven's....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-03 18:04 by Wry Cooter.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: August 31, 2011 23:55

So is Rolling Stoned the same as Stoned? Both are available on Amazon.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 1, 2011 00:05

treaclefingers
I asked a question, but I can't even remember what I asked. I just wanted to be able to ask him a question!

Well fingers I hope you don't use that same logic on this site. lol

Date: September 1, 2011 00:23

Braincapers

yes and no

"Stoned was published in 2000, followed two years later by 2Stoned. A decade later, the music business is so dispirited that it no longer waits and wishes for a new Nirvana, let alone a new Beatles. Those of us who created "The Sixties" are now in our sixties and frankly, either the lives we led were not conducive to longevity or a few of us should have realized that it was time to leave the stage. The sixties are a shrinking violet and, as age defies reason and decorum, there has been a stampede of revisionism and unreasonableness about those smashing times. As so much since 2000 or thereabouts has changed, including the fellow travellers about whom I wrote, I thought it appropriate to take a look again and update both books for the times we live in today, when a book no longer needs paper or ink and a record no longer needs a stylus to play"

Date: September 1, 2011 02:46

Braincapers
Braincapers

yes and no

"Stoned was published in 2000, followed two years later by 2Stoned. A decade later, the music business is so dispirited that it no longer waits and wishes for a new Nirvana, let alone a new Beatles. Those of us who created "The Sixties" are now in our sixties and frankly, either the lives we led were not conducive to longevity or a few of us should have realized that it was time to leave the stage. The sixties are a shrinking violet and, as age defies reason and decorum, there has been a stampede of revisionism and unreasonableness about those smashing times. As so much since 2000 or thereabouts has changed, including the fellow travellers about whom I wrote, I thought it appropriate to take a look again and update both books for the times we live in today, when a book no longer needs paper or ink and a record no longer needs a stylus to play"

Rolling Stoned is the French language version of Stoned and 2Stoned is ALO's next chapter in the continuing story, to be completed later this year. There is some minor overlap between the 2 books, of necessity, to make sense if you read them out of sequence.

His influence on the band in the 1960's cannot be overestimated, imo, without him I don't think we'd have the band we've all loved down the years. A deeply troubled man with an undiagnosed mental condition at the time, he's coped with his own demons yet has survived to become an elderly statesman of the music business across many genres. About time Mick gave him some true recognition.....Keith has and does on many occasions, as has Charlie & Bill.

Chriseganstar

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: hwkn ()
Date: September 1, 2011 03:49

ALO hosts a show on Underground Garage Monday through Friday at 8am et btw.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 1, 2011 04:07

Naturalust
treaclefingers

Well fingers I hope you don't use that same logic on this site. lol

It was just a question I already knew the answer to. I just wanted to be able to say I actually talked to ALO.

He is iconic.

Date: September 1, 2011 11:27

chriseganstar
Braincapers
Braincapers

"Stoned was published in 2000, followed two years later by 2Stoned...As so much since 2000 or thereabouts has changed, including the fellow travellers about whom I wrote, I thought it appropriate to take a look again and update both books for the times we live in today, when a book no longer needs paper or ink and a record no longer needs a stylus to play"

Rolling Stoned is the French language version of Stoned and 2Stoned is ALO's next chapter in the continuing story, to be completed later this year. ...Chriseganstar

The quote is from the introduction to Rolling Stoned (I downloaded an extract) so it's clearly in English!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 1, 2011 16:18

chriseganstar
Braincapers
Braincapers

About time Mick gave him some true recognition.....Keith has and does on many occasions, as has Charlie & Bill.

Chriseganstar

Wasn't there an implication in Stoned that Mick and ALO might have er, sexually experimented together? Now that Mick is back batting for the home team, as they say in the UK, and also a family man I'm sure he didn't take too kindly to ALO's memories.

Date: September 1, 2011 17:28

Braincapers
chriseganstar
Braincapers
Braincapers

"Stoned was published in 2000, followed two years later by 2Stoned...As so much since 2000 or thereabouts has changed, including the fellow travellers about whom I wrote, I thought it appropriate to take a look again and update both books for the times we live in today, when a book no longer needs paper or ink and a record no longer needs a stylus to play"

Rolling Stoned is the French language version of Stoned and 2Stoned is ALO's next chapter in the continuing story, to be completed later this year. ...Chriseganstar

The quote is from the introduction to Rolling Stoned (I downloaded an extract) so it's clearly in English!

Trust me, it's the same book (and I really should know).

Satisfied since 1976

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1591
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home