Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: What's Stones' most overlooked or forgotten album?
Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: August 4, 2011 06:00

UNDERCOVER. The last real Rolling Stones album. All band members ON FIRE. The guitars are fantastic and the fibe is great. Compare it to the following albums like DW and SW, the downfall is amazing....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 4, 2011 12:20

Max'sKansasCity

Heavens to Betsy, .

Seriously?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 4, 2011 20:28

I will add my praise of The Rolling Stones NOW! I think it is overlooked or forgotten only because I admire it so much. It is almost a greatest hits album of RnB and blues songs. It is not only the best of the early albums, but a classic on its own. It's the band's equivalent of A Hard Day's Night which I think is the best of the Beatles' early albums.

It's also one of the earliest albums I came up with the money for. It was an expensive purchase for me back then. I still have it (in mono). The last time I played I found out...it is trashed.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: August 4, 2011 20:48

Bridges to Babylon. Best album since Some Girls! I would love to hear outtakes from this!

Date: August 5, 2011 12:14

pmk251
I will add my praise of The Rolling Stones NOW! I think it is overlooked or forgotten only because I admire it so much. It is almost a greatest hits album of RnB and blues songs. It is not only the best of the early albums, but a classic on its own. It's the band's equivalent of A Hard Day's Night which I think is the best of the Beatles' early albums.

It's also one of the earliest albums I came up with the money for. It was an expensive purchase for me back then. I still have it (in mono). The last time I played I found out...it is trashed.

Yeah, NOW is good, but it might be overlooked because it's very similar to the official Rolling Stones No 2-album...

NOW:

Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
Down Home Girl*
You Can't Catch Me*
Heart of Stone
What a Shame
Mona (I Need You Baby)*
Down the Road Apiece*
Off the Hook
Pain in My Heart
Oh Baby
Little Red Rooster*
Surprise, Surprise

NO 2:

01 Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
02 Down Home Girl
03 You Can't Catch Me
04 Time Is on My Side
05 What a Shame
06 "Grown Up Wrong
07 Down The Road Apiece
08 Under the Boardwalk
09 I Can't Be Satisfied
10 Pain In My Heart
11 Off The Hook
12 Susie Q

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-05 15:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 5, 2011 15:31

hedegaard
Erik_Snow
"Overlooked"
"Forgotten"

These labels doesn't make much sense. It's like "overrated" - who rated them?

If albums are forgotten, then they probably deserve it; in the homes of the people who forgot them.

Is "underratted" more correct then??

Bo

No, obviously not.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 5, 2011 23:53

December's Children
12x5

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: August 5, 2011 23:59

DandelionPowderman
Love You Live. Much better than its reputation, imo.

Yes. This came out right before Some Girls and we played the sh*t out of it. I still think that version of Sympathy is better than the one on Ya Ya's. Crackin Up, Hot Stuff, Fingerprint File. All the stuff I used to love love love baybee.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: August 6, 2011 00:01

I'll go with the BB albums. Black and Blue and Bridges to Bablyon

Posted by: matsumoto33 ()
Date: August 6, 2011 04:15

doubledoor

Why not throw Between The Buttons in there too....?

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: August 6, 2011 05:22

matsumoto33
doubledoor

Why not throw Between The Buttons in there too....?

Because everybody else did.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 8, 2011 08:58

No Stone Unturned

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 8, 2011 09:24

Brue
DandelionPowderman
Love You Live. Much better than its reputation, imo.

Yes. This came out right before Some Girls and we played the sh*t out of it. I still think that version of Sympathy is better than the one on Ya Ya's. Crackin Up, Hot Stuff, Fingerprint File. All the stuff I used to love love love baybee.

Thank you. +1 on this.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 8, 2011 09:34

tomk
Redhotcarpet
NICOS
It's Only Rock 'n Roll

Not sure, more underrated than forgotten.

No, I'll agree that IORR album is. There's a lot of people, me included, who have a fondness for Goats Head Soup and get into debates about it (coming after Exile and all that). And then Black and Blue gets a lot of debate on here regarding its merits. But between those two they did release an album called IORR that, to me, gets forgotten or passed up. Not to say there hasn't been discussions about it, it's just been, well, overlooked AND forgotten. Of all the major releases since, say, Aftermath, IORR is talked about the least. Terrific record, I thought.

You got a point there. I love IORR but im not too pleased with the production of rock n rolls most underrated song, If you cant rock me. Maybe IORR is the most overlooked album. IORR, B&B and LYL are all kind of forgotten and overlooked because of the 1968-1972/1973 golden era and the comeback album Some Girls. Funny because I never listen to Some Girls. Great cover and maybe three great songs: MY, Shattered, BOB. An album based around one great hit single.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 8, 2011 18:46

theimposter
Without thinking too long about it, first thing that comes to mind is "Stripped". It's an interesting, solid little record. I love the sound quality of it, and the song selection is nice.

That's my choice as well. It is very, very good, but with the Stones releasing a new live album every few years, it got lost in the shuffle. I just managed to find a mint vinyl copy for less than $100 so I just bit the bullet and bought it.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: August 8, 2011 20:51

Vocalion
UNDERCOVER. The last real Rolling Stones album. All band members ON FIRE. The guitars are fantastic and the fibe is great. Compare it to the following albums like DW and SW, the downfall is amazing....

Seriously? At least Steel Wheels is way better than Undercover. Both albums hopelessly dated productionwise, but SW has got better songs all over.
I do agree that the guitars on Undercover sound great, but there it pretty much stops.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: August 8, 2011 21:24

drbryant
I just managed to find a mint vinyl copy for less than $100 so I just bit the bullet and bought it.
Seriously? That's ridiculous! Unless "less than $100" means "$10" you just threw your money away, IMO...

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: August 9, 2011 02:09

Goats head

Date: August 9, 2011 02:53

FreeBird
drbryant
I just managed to find a mint vinyl copy for less than $100 so I just bit the bullet and bought it.
Seriously? That's ridiculous! Unless "less than $100" means "$10" you just threw your money away, IMO...

It is ridiculous, however because the vinyl editions are so rare, if you can get one you'll be paying a mint (unless the person selling doesn't know what they have).

I have 2 copies, one sealed and one mint. I bought them awhile ago, so didn't pay the scandalous current rates.

SO, Dr. Bryant, you didn't throw your money away, but I suspect you already knew that.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: August 9, 2011 06:08

Both 1983's Undercover and 1986's Dirty Work as they had no tours for promotion.

~Ben

Date: August 9, 2011 06:15

treaclefingers
FreeBird
drbryant

It is ridiculous, however because the vinyl editions are so rare, if you can get one you'll be paying a mint (unless the person selling doesn't know what they have).

I have 2 copies, one sealed and one mint. I bought them awhile ago, so didn't pay the scandalous current rates.

SO, Dr. Bryant, you didn't throw your money away, but I suspect you already knew that.

Yes, I have been looking for a clean copy for a while. I paid about $75, which is a pretty good price. "Stripped" and "No Security" are rare.

Date: August 9, 2011 06:53

drbryant
treaclefingers
FreeBird
drbryant

Yes, I have been looking for a clean copy for a while. I paid about $75, which is a pretty good price. "Stripped" and "No Security" are rare.

I've been very lucky to have picked up copies. A few years ago I went a bit nuts on EBAY and bought a bunch of rare stones vinyl that has done well.

It's a bit silly really, because I tend to listen to the CD's, or ITUNES rips, but their is nothing like the sound, or even look of vinyl!

Congratulations on your get!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 9, 2011 12:42

audun-eg
Vocalion

Seriously? At least Steel Wheels is way better than Undercover. Both albums hopelessly dated productionwise, but SW has got better songs all over.
I do agree that the guitars on Undercover sound great, but there it pretty much stops.

The most forgotten album by the RS themselves is the DIRTY WORK outtakes; the best post Tatoo You album IMHO.

The barking vocals, overdrumming, over keyboarding......and the poor song selection ruined the original album

The outtakes were more KR-oriewnted and much better (juast thear the back to zero and crushed pearlas bootlegs). They tried to jaggerize the album, and the album became an horror

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: August 9, 2011 13:38

treaclefingers
FreeBird
drbryant

I saw one in (I think) London in 1996. I was really surprised at the time. I didn't think they'd bother to release a new album on such an outdated medium. If only I had known then what I know now, I could've made a nice profit on it...

Date: August 9, 2011 17:34

FreeBird
treaclefingers
FreeBird
drbryant

I saw one in (I think) London in 1996. I was really surprised at the time. I didn't think they'd bother to release a new album on such an outdated medium. If only I had known then what I know now, I could've made a nice profit on it...

AND, you have to beware of the counterfeits now...ie, I don't believe they ever actually released this on coloured vinyl, yet that is what a lot of them are. Link below is to what is currently available on EBAY:

[music.shop.ebay.com]

Date: August 9, 2011 17:41

Another one that is pretty rare on vinyl is Rarities 1971-2003, which appears pretty pointless at first glance, but when I listen to it, I really enjoy it. Fancy Man Blues, Through the Lonely Nights and Let It Rock are all essential. I wish that they had included Cook Cook Blues, but you can't have everything.

Date: August 10, 2011 17:54

drbryant
Another one that is pretty rare on vinyl is Rarities 1971-2003, which appears pretty pointless at first glance, but when I listen to it, I really enjoy it. Fancy Man Blues, Through the Lonely Nights and Let It Rock are all essential. I wish that they had included Cook Cook Blues, but you can't have everything.

Yes, difficult to find this only 5 years after it's initial release.

I had made it a practice to buy 2 vinyl editions of each RS album that came out since 1981, so I would have a 'play' copy and a 'sealed' copy. I've since worked backwards to try and acquire a lot of the 70's and some 60's albums.

It's not something I like about myself, but it feels cathartic to come clean.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 10, 2011 20:54

Yep, I was right, no-one have mentioned 'No Stone Unturned' yet...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 10, 2011 21:00

Come On
Yep, I was right, no-one have mentioned 'No Stone Unturned' yet...

I love it...they should re-release it on CD with extra tracks, sort of a complete Decca B-sides + EP tracks + U.S. album tracks.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: August 10, 2011 22:05

ghs and iorr!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1215
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home