Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Was the VL tour better than Bridges
Posted by: tipps ()
Date: July 31, 2011 19:21

In my opinion I like the VL tour very good but Bridges was okay, I did not like the songs on Bridges too much, VL lp had good and stronger songs.

Re: Was the VL tour better than Bridges
Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 31, 2011 19:23

Better band performance on the Bridges tour than Voodoo. More interesting songs on the Voodoo tour though. Having seen the Voodoo tour live and the Bridges tour on DVD, I was won over by the better performance for some reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-02 15:21 by DragonSky.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: July 31, 2011 19:30

The VL tour definitely showcased an awesome song selection, but I much prefer the playing on the Bridges tour. I think the band sounded more muscular, more rock and roll.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 31, 2011 19:31

I saw both tours (in person, live, my own ear/eyes, not studying bootlegs, not examining minute details under a microscope) on 5-6 stops each... both tours were equally awesome.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 31, 2011 20:29

I saw a Bridges show, but passed on a VL show (Wasn't a fan back then, and I'm biting my ass of every day for it). From what I've seen it's the VL tour for me. It's my fave tour of theirs along with 1969. There's something special about the VL playing. As I've said before 1981/1982 was too ragged and 1989/1990 was too polished. On the VL tour (1995 especially) it was the best of those two worlds. They sound like a suped up jet engine on VL. Bridges was still great, but it wasn't as good I think. I haven't heard all b2b boots, but if someone wants to prove me otherwise be my guest.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: July 31, 2011 20:44

I think VL Tour was better. Better setlist. Very nice opening to the show and then Not Fade Away. Very odd selection for a show opener but strangely it worked.

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: July 31, 2011 20:57

For me, VL is 110% the better tour over Bridges. I think VL was the last great Stones unit. Charlie was a horse. Ronnie was still be big contributer. Bridges was the first time I thought the Stones lost a step. The energy took a tiny step back. The moves seems a tad bit forced. VL they seemed younger, on top of their game, and more naturally themselves.

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: marko ()
Date: July 31, 2011 21:34

mickjagger1009
For me, VL is 110% the better tour over Bridges. I think VL was the last great Stones unit. Charlie was a horse. Ronnie was still be big contributer. Bridges was the first time I thought the Stones lost a step. The energy took a tiny step back. The moves seems a tad bit forced. VL they seemed younger, on top of their game, and more naturally themselves.

Thats what i tought back in 1997 or so,but not anymore,BTB tour had more bunch,groove and was more fresh,and they did play many interesting songs.
It was just bloody brillian tour.

Date: July 31, 2011 22:00

Without a doubt better song choice on the Voodoo tour. A bit more laid back. Great versions of Shattered, Tumbling Dice and Monkey Man (although they did an even better version of Monkey Man on the Licks tour). And the opening Not Fade Away was possibly their best ever. And they did a great job of fitting in the Voodoo tunes with the classics and odd LP tracks - everything really fit. On the Bridges tour, some of the new songs sort of stuck out, although Flip The Switch and Out Of Control were brilliant.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: July 31, 2011 22:02

so was saint of me,thief in the night,you donĀ“t have to mean it.

Date: July 31, 2011 22:18

Saint Of Me was OK. I wish You Don't Have To Mean It would've made No Security!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 31, 2011 22:59

Felt the Band was more a band on VL, and Bridges was more theatre/lightning.
Have seen the band since 1976 and really liked the 1982 shows.ar
really hope to see them a few more times next year
One love
jeroen

Date: August 1, 2011 00:58

My last good Stones show was during VL in Toronto then Vancouver. ABB was okay as well but can't match the VL shows. Thought their 07 show in Vancouver was very good.

Date: August 1, 2011 03:22

If you ask Mick it was - it made more money.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 1, 2011 10:07

At first glance I thought it read "VU Tour." Dig that Lou Reed.

Date: August 1, 2011 10:22

IMO, yes.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 1, 2011 12:16

If anything, the VL tour sounded better than Bridges. VL and Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle were probably the best sounding Stones tours ever (not counting NS which was strictly indoor). For me, the Bridges concert sound sucked big time, and I always regarded this as a major step back. BTB performances were actually quite strong judging from professional recordings,but the Bridges PA system simply was not up to par.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-01 13:18 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 1, 2011 13:39

I thought the Voodoo Lounge tour was a way better experience than BtB; 1st of all; due to the sound - as retired dog pointed out
Also - the Voodoo Lounge tour concerts was more of a thrill than the BtB tour, setlist-wise; as Monkey Man, Heartbreaker, It's All Over Now, etc, was included in the setlist - by the time of BtB; we'd gotten more used to "old rarities", especially after the club gigs of 1995 and "Stripped".

I gotta say that Keith opening the show in 1998 with Satisfaction was a better opening, than the "Not Fade Away" starter of VL, though

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: August 1, 2011 19:14

I attended one VL show (my first) and I thought it was great, but I have been disappointed in all the boots I've heard from the tour. I've heard good stuff from every other tour but for some reason this one seems one-dimensional and monotonous. I think it's because the shows I've listened to sound sterile and/or bad quality. Can someone recommend a good performance/high quality audience recording/preferably from the US leg?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-01 19:16 by Sipuncula.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: August 1, 2011 19:31

retired_dog
If anything, the VL tour sounded better than Bridges. VL and Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle were probably the best sounding Stones tours ever (not counting NS which was strictly indoor). For me, the Bridges concert sound sucked big time, and I always regarded this as a major step back. BTB performances were actually quite strong judging from professional recordings,but the Bridges PA system simply was not up to par.

Interesting you would say that, as at the the time the B2B tour was touted as having the most expensive, cutting edge PA/sound system ever used on a major tour.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: August 1, 2011 19:54

I saw several shows on both tours and would pick VL any day. B2B was misssing a spark of some sort. Seemed like they were going through the motions, superficial new songs, etc.

Date: August 1, 2011 20:24

Sipuncula
I attended one VL show (my first) and I thought it was great, but I have been disappointed in all the boots I've heard from the tour. I've heard good stuff from every other tour but for some reason this one seems one-dimensional and monotonous. I think it's because the shows I've listened to sound sterile and/or bad quality. Can someone recommend a good performance/high quality audience recording/preferably from the US leg?

Have a listen to Happy Birthday Keith , Vancouver 94.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: August 1, 2011 21:24

tipps

Have a listen to Happy Birthday Keith , Vancouver 94.

Thanks. I probably have it; I will have a listen when I get home at some point.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 1, 2011 21:36

I always kind of wondered why some bands are so anti-taping, anti-recording.... I said "Why not let us record, we bought a ticket "..... well... I suppose one reason might be that do not want to be judged by recordings (which can be affected by several things... and one can never capture the whole thing.... like trying to take a picture of a colorful sun rise, there is no medium which can capture all the colors your eye sees... you have to be there... which is why I dont spend a lot of time examinging bootlegs with microscopes.

That comment is NOT directed at anyone in partucular. I really wondered why they had an anti-recording mentality... but now I understand... BUT... if someone enjoys examing boots with microscopes, then have at it.... but now I better understand why a band might not want to be judged like that.

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 1, 2011 21:42

georgeV
I saw several shows on both tours and would pick VL any day. B2B was misssing a spark of some sort. Seemed like they were going through the motions, superficial new songs, etc.

Me too and that was basically my take regarding B2B as well. Voodoo basically established the template for all the tours that came after (except NS). B2B struck me as a more Mick influenced Voodoo show. Too much glitz and gimmickery.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: August 2, 2011 00:05

VL

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 2, 2011 00:07

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 2, 2011 04:50

I was never at any of the shows in person for VL or BTB but a couple things Ive noticed from what I've heard, I hear an improvement in the sound in '95 compared to '94. Its a cleaner and fuller sound to me. In BTB they obviously were older but Mick And Keith were doing some interesting things that I didn't see from them on the previous tour. I like things about both of those tours Its hard to say which one I like more. The Set List overall was more interesting on Voodoo Lounge. The last part of the show on BTB had so many greatest hits in a row, you have to be in the mood for that. On the other hand the new stuff was so cool on BTB, IORR sounds a lot better plus there was Little Queenie.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-02 04:56 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: August 2, 2011 14:18

VL for me.

Set-lists changed very little during the tour, which might be a bit of a drawback ... But I'd rather the consistency of the '94/'95 tours over the "mixed bag" of the B2B repertorie.

And on top of that I wonder why most people overlook "Stripped". That album shows the state of grace the Stones were enjoying in the mid-90's, somehow lacking on B2B album and tours.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: August 2, 2011 15:08

Another topic comes around again.......

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2385
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home