Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: the Rolling Stones Rockn Roll Circus 1968
Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: July 31, 2011 00:25

Mick isn't cheating on his vocals in 1968...because he's about 24 years old here. Singers cheat on their vocaks when they get old...or have to play 150 gigs on a tour...or a combo of both.

Soulsurvivor

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: August 1, 2011 16:42

What happened with Rocky Dijon (the stones percussionist, not our iorr rd) after this.?
Did he ever played with the Stones again. Never went on tour with them?
He was quite in a protagonic role in The Circus film, even more visible than Nicky Hopkins...

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 1, 2011 17:12

varilla
What happened with Rocky Dijon (the stones percussionist, not our iorr rd) after this.?
He was quite in a protagonic role in The Circus film, even more visible than Nicky Hopkins...

Wasn't he at Hyde Park also?

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: August 1, 2011 17:18

I don't think the Stones did a bad show at all, and The Who's performance wasn't so impressive. They sounded 50% less than Live at Leeds. Maybe No expectations, it's not in the same key than Beggar's Banquet, but Sympathy, Jumping sounds quite good to my ears.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Date: August 1, 2011 17:21

dandelion1967
I don't think the Stones did a bad show at all, and The Who's performance wasn't so impressive. They sounded 50% less than Live at Leeds. Maybe No expectations, it's not in the same key than Beggar's Banquet, but Sympathy, Jumping sounds quite good to my ears.

I wonder why they did No Expectations in a higher key? Certainly Jagger had no trouble singing it live in the proper (studio) key in Hyde Park.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: August 1, 2011 19:56

Thanks for the great pics Deltics and HNM.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 1, 2011 20:11

MF in leather on a horse. Gads! I love it. Reminds me of Emma Peel. BTW: Did you know that when searching for a name for the Emma Peel character the creators wanted someone with "man appeal" and from that requirement came her name.

Date: August 1, 2011 21:36

pmk251
MF in leather on a horse. Gads! I love it. Reminds me of Emma Peel. BTW: Did you know that when searching for a name for the Emma Peel character the creators wanted someone with "man appeal" and from that requirement came her name.

Read the thread again: it's not Marianne, it's a body double (& it's from Girl On A Motorcycle).

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 2, 2011 02:08

Of course this is not Marianne. Riding a horse in this manner is something very few people can do. And there is probably no one who could do it when they're high.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 2, 2011 03:19

>What happened with Rocky Dijon (the stones percussionist, not our iorr rd) after this.? Did he ever played with the Stones again.

Yes, he's on STICKY FINGERS.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 2, 2011 03:34

>The band that plays on the backing track for Something Better, I've read it was Charlie, Bill, Mick on acoustic, Jack Nitzsche and Ry Cooder. Is this correct?

I think that's right. Mick produced the song, which was the b-side of "Sister Morphine".

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: August 2, 2011 04:53

Glam Descendant
>The band that plays on the backing track for Something Better, I've read it was Charlie, Bill, Mick on acoustic, Jack Nitzsche and Ry Cooder. Is this correct?

I think that's right. Mick produced the song, which was the b-side of "Sister Morphine".

Ry sounds great on that one, simple but perfect lines.

Posted by: Swedgen72 ()
Date: August 2, 2011 06:29

tonterapi
He is plugged in on every song but is very low set in the mix. On JJF and PW you can hear him with some good will in the same area as Bill's bass. He is better heard n YCAGWYW and of course fully audible on NE and SFTD. I have never understood why he is lowered since he plays ok. He does the job but nothing more while looking sad and lonely.

Agreed. Pretty sure he had a broken right wrist too, pretty hard to do much as a guitarist. He's ok on it overall.

Context is important here. They hadn't toured anywhere for over 2 years by this time, and their only gig in all of 1968 was a poll-winners concert in May (where apparently Brian played wonderfully). It's nothing more than rustiness, you can hear them getting better the longer they go. Put it this way, they're better on this than they were on Hyde Park (where Keith is nothing but atrocious).

But The Who obliterate every other act on the show. They were just starting to hit top gear and I don't think anyone could match them by then.

Date: August 2, 2011 10:27

Swedgen72
Context is important here. They hadn't toured anywhere for over 2 years by this time, and their only gig in all of 1968 was a poll-winners concert in May (where apparently Brian played wonderfully). It's nothing more than rustiness, you can hear them getting better the longer they go. Put it this way, they're better on this than they were on Hyde Park (where Keith is nothing but atrocious).

They did a spring 1967 European tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-02 11:18 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: August 2, 2011 11:47

Swedgen72
Agreed. Pretty sure he had a broken right wrist too, pretty hard to do much as a guitarist. He's ok on it overall.

He broke the wrist in 66 and some say it never really healed. But I think that Brian was more insecure and rusty at RNRC than it had to do with the wrist. According to one source (if my memory serves me that would be Brian himself) he started to take guitar lessons in 1968 since he felt that his guitar playing wasn't what it was suppose to be. I still think that he does well on NE despite being a bit shaky - but it fits the song.

I totally agree about RNRC being a better performance than Hyde Park. HP:s only good point is Jagger. He had the energy to fill in for the rest.

Date: August 5, 2011 20:38

varilla

The REAL Rocky Dijon played on THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST, "Child of the Moon," BEGGARS BANQUET, ROCK 'N' ROLL CIRCUS, THE STONES IN THE PARK, LET IT BLEED, and STICKY FINGERS. He also played on Bill Wyman's second solo album, STONE ALONE. His work was also featured on METAMORPHOSIS.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1866
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home