Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Definitely OT: Clean & sober rock groups
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 28, 2011 18:23

....and a link to your "brother"s web site is NOT valid.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 28, 2011 18:58

The Osmonds.smiling bouncing smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 28, 2011 19:25

The Beatles
The Stones
The Who
Velvet Underground
Bob Dylan
The Byrds
Love
The Pretty Things
David Bowie
James Brown
Jimi Hendrix
Sex Pistols
Led Zeppelin
The Small Faces
The Faces
The Clash
The Temptations
Cream
Eric Clapton

Don't take drugs - if you DON'T want to make music like these guys.

Date: July 28, 2011 19:28

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 28, 2011 19:55

No-one's mentioned this guy:

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 28, 2011 20:17

John Fogarty.

I was looking for a youtube clip from that 1970 Creedence documentary that aired on TV, which featured footage of Booker T and the MGs playing "Time Is Tight" as their opening act. Couldn't find it.

Anyway, there is a scene of a fan leaning into a limo window offering the band a bottle, and they decline it with a "We're straight" (or words to that effect ) response.

That was pretty shocking at the time...and not the norm for a rock group.

Later, Fogarty found out that the rest of the band were partaking in their rooms after the show behind his back. He was outraged.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 28, 2011 20:28

Sleepy City
No-one's mentioned this guy:

I think Billy-boy has admitted to smoking a bit of pot.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 28, 2011 20:50

Angus Young has claimed that he only gets high on Coke a cola and cigarettes .

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 28, 2011 20:51

Max'sKansasCity

I'll have him call you. and ...what web site? There was never any mention of that. You must be making things up...like Ted.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: July 28, 2011 21:05

More Hot Rocks
Edith Grove
SwayStones
More Hot Rocks
Ted Nugent is a big con artist. Not sober by far.

I do know Ted Nugent is more than a conservative .
I thought the guy would be sober -at least when he shoots grinning smiley

I've never heard of Nugent's sobriety being disproven.

On the other hand, I remember hearing Nugent claim that he's fired band members he thought were less than sober.

It's a big act. It's his shtick. He played a local fair here 2 years ago. My brother worked security. He told me it was like 1969 in his trailer. He was totally out of hand.

He was on Anthony Bourdain's no reservations a couple of years ago and he was drinkin a beer eating some barbecue and says 'this is the 3rd beer I've had in my entire life'. Now THAT'S funny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-28 21:11 by Brue.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: July 28, 2011 21:10

Frampton says he's been sober for 8 years now. Of course he was wrecked the whole time before that. There's a video on youtube of him and Bowie searching for a beer while on tour in Spain '87. Fairly amusing actually.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 28, 2011 21:12

stones78
The Liverpool's fab four until they met Zimmerman. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Wrong! They were pure pill popper freaks in Hamburg, and continued to be so afterwards. They loved Secinal and other forms of speed. And ludes.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 28, 2011 21:32

What about prog rock bands like Yes, Genesis, King Crimson?

Date: July 28, 2011 21:43

More Hot Rocks
Max'sKansasCity

I'll have him call you. and ...what web site? There was never any mention of that. You must be making things up...like Ted.

I ignored your snide anti Ted comments, the first several times you blathered them, but you had to keep it up.... so I asked you to show us proof of your accusations... and of course you have none..... OF COURSE YOU HAVE NONE.

I do believe Brue's story about seeing Ted on that TV, and drinking his third beer... OF HIS LIFE, although I am not sure why Ted would start drinking now... not that I see anything wrong with that, but after never drinking, why start at age 60?

Date: July 28, 2011 21:44

Brue
More Hot Rocks
Edith Grove
SwayStones
More Hot Rocks

I've never heard of Nugent's sobriety being disproven.

On the other hand, I remember hearing Nugent claim that he's fired band members he thought were less than sober.

It's a big act. It's his shtick. He played a local fair here 2 years ago. My brother worked security. He told me it was like 1969 in his trailer. He was totally out of hand.

He was on Anthony Bourdain's no reservations a couple of years ago and he was drinkin a beer eating some barbecue and says 'this is the 3rd beer I've had in my entire life'. Now THAT'S funny.

That is funny smiling smiley

Date: July 28, 2011 21:48

franzk

Again, "able to create great music"? They're almost as bad as Coldplay.

As well as Chuck Berry, how about Bo Diddley & Fats Domino? I believe they were / are pretty clean & sober.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: July 28, 2011 22:07

Sleepy City
franzk

Again, "able to create great music"? They're almost as bad as Coldplay.

As well as Chuck Berry, how about Bo Diddley & Fats Domino? I believe they were / are pretty clean & sober.

Don't know about Yes or Genesis, but King Crimson? A brilliant band, if only for that fantastic debut album.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 28, 2011 22:10

No, not Bill. He is the connoisseur, the wine drinker and was only stoned by the band once for his 1969 birthday by some marihuana baked into his favourite banana cake.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 28, 2011 22:41

Sleepy City
how about Bo Diddley & Fats Domino? I believe they were / are pretty clean & sober.

Fats finds his thrills on Blueberry Hill. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: July 28, 2011 22:44

Edith Grove
Sleepy City
how about Bo Diddley & Fats Domino? I believe they were / are pretty clean & sober.

Fats finds his thrills on Blueberry Hill. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Maybe...

Actually he used to like to relax with the odd cold beer or two (& probably still does), but was never a drunk.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: July 28, 2011 22:56

KISS (well, Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons)

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 28, 2011 23:04

Max'sKansasCity
More Hot Rocks
Max'sKansasCity

I ignored your snide anti Ted comments, the first several times you blathered them, but you had to keep it up.... so I asked you to show us proof of your accusations... and of course you have none..... OF COURSE YOU HAVE NONE.

I do believe Brue's story about seeing Ted on that TV, and drinking his third beer... OF HIS LIFE, although I am not sure why Ted would start drinking now... not that I see anything wrong with that, but after never drinking, why start at

age 60?[/quote

Are you that ignorant? the guys a big drunk and druggie. He was polking fun of himself becasue he knows he's a scam artist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-28 23:27 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: July 29, 2011 05:01

JJHMick
No, not Bill. He is the connoisseur, the wine drinker and was only stoned by the band once for his 1969 birthday by some marihuana baked into his favourite banana cake.

I don't have it here in front of me, but I think Bill writes in Stone Alone that some time after that he got stoned for an entire year, basically replacing his cigs with joints. "It was all or nothing", sort of thing. He also claimed to be smoking in some TV interview.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-29 05:04 by Sipuncula.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 29, 2011 05:27

Fugazi

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 29, 2011 06:04

SwayStones
More Hot Rocks

He did bring a cooler full of Beer when he went hunting with Dick Cheney. Well rumor has it anyway.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: July 29, 2011 06:24

Take away Bon Scott (well, he took himself away) and AC/DC has been mostly sober and drug-free I believe. Well...Angus is pretty clean livin' at least, and always has been. I don't think there's much disputing this.

As for Ted Nugent...I actually think he's been pretty damn straight--drug wise--for many many many years, even back in the cat stratch fever era. He's admitted his big vice was "pussy." Not sure it went beyond that. Of course, he sort of gets off on tripping people up and screwing with their assumptions. He acts manic enough to convince people he's high all the time, but I think that's the act. In reality, he's clean and sober. I of course have no inside knowledge of this whatsoever, other than you don't hear any other rockstars (or people who would obviosuly know) dispute Ted's claim that he's a pretty straight shooter when it comes to substances. As for his band, entourage, touring party, etc., well, all bets are off...but Ted himself seems to actually have walked a straight and narrow line. If anyone could offer any proof to the contrary, well, I'll simply defer to your superior knowledge and bow out of this discussion. Now, his politics gets people upset often, but that's outside of this discussion. I would think, anyway.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 29, 2011 06:27

There seems to be two categories here -- artists who never had (or never seemed to anyway) a problem with alcohol and drugs, and those who are now "clean and sober" as they say -- eschewing any mood altering substances. There is a long list of the latter, many of them quite famous. Of course there is always the possibility of becoming unsober -- see Steven Tyler.

I never thought of Springsteen and the E Street Band as clean and sober; However they went against the usual sex and drugs type image of their heyday. Federici had a serious drinking problem as I understood it -- it would seem he got sober.

Date: July 29, 2011 06:33

Eddie Vanhalen..... nope, not Eddie VH..... ok Eddie Vh again...... oops, guess not Eddie Vh...... Ok Eddie Vh again....... oh no... wait a minute.... oh well, we'll keep you posted

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1348
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home