Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What'so great about Knebworth?
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: July 27, 2011 16:22

I just listened to this live version of the Stones playing Hand of Fate in 1976. Listen to it please with an objective ear. The song is played at a very rapid and frantic pace, and Jagger sings as if he has just ran a marathon and just wants to get finished so he can take a nap. Even Charlie is off. He hits the cymbals and percussion almost as much as Ringo Starr did with the Beatles. I have heard many fans praise Knebworth to the limit. I just don't get it. Do not tell me you had to be there to appreciate this train wreck of a song. If you were there and liked this piece, you must have been stoned out of your head.

I would much rather see a carefully rehearsed new song from A Bigger Bang or any song from Four Flicks than this piece of you know what.

Re: What'so great about Knebworth?
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 27, 2011 16:26

"What's so great about Knebworth?"

The setlist.

You are speaking about the worst year, when it comes to concerts, between 1962 and 1994 - so it's surprising that somebody are still surprised by this.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 27, 2011 16:32

Yeah, Erik -- all true, but Knebworth was sketchy even for '76.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 27, 2011 17:06

texas fan

I wouldn't say that, mate; because the highlists of Knewbworth 1976, surpassed the incredible boring European Tour 1976 performances. The surprise was that they had the nerve to do these songs on stage, without rehearsing as much as needed; to say the least.

I'd rather listen to Knewborth 1976 than MOST of the depressing 1976 European Tour concerts (exceptions being; 1st Cologne, 1st and 4th Paris and Barcelona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-28 09:34 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 27, 2011 17:21

I don't hear whats so bad about this particular song you've picked, sounds pretty good to me. Two songs I recall that sound like theyre going to de-rail at a couple of points are LSTNT and Hot Stuff. EVen those are pretty cool. Its not their best show by any means but its an interesting listen. I like the energy. Aint To Proud to beg is one of the better versions from 75 or 76 that Ive heard. It may just have to do with the sound mix, I don't know but Ive always thought it was really good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-27 17:23 by ryanpow.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 27, 2011 17:24

Good question,flifarn !

The question could be that one :
why I liked it so much ?

Let me some time to think about a meaningful answer smiling smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 27, 2011 17:32

I'd take the 76 tour anyday over the 81/82 tour when the songs were played too fast and sounded cold and emotionless. And being played in stadiums made them lose the intimacy of hearing them in an arena.

Anyway, getting back to Knebworth - you had to really be there to appreciate it. Yes, sure they played sloppy but the excitement of that setlist far outweighed any musical shortcomings. Sometimes it's good just to live for the excitement of the moment and that sure was the case here.

We had been kept waiting for 5 hours and for them to finally take to the stage was an incredible relief after the scorching hot day and then freezing cold night.
Hearing Route 66, Stray Cat Blues, Around And Around, Dead Flowers, Let's Spend The Night Together and other songs for the first time was an incredible experience - under-rehearsed or not. In fact I'd rather hear the Stones play under-rehearsed than many of today's groups' slick and over-polished note perfect live shows. This is rock'n'roll we're talking about - not a classical orchestra.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: July 27, 2011 17:54

I think they sounded better in the Usa in 1975 and wished they released something from their 2 concerts in Philly in
1975...Both shows were far better then anything in 76!!

Date: July 27, 2011 18:00

[www.iorr.org]

Knebworth 21st August 1976- The Rolling Stones were supported by Don Harrison Band, Hot Tuna, Todd Rundgren, 10cc and Lynyrd Skynyrd at Knebworth.

There were terrible sound problems all day, and these caused long delays between acts. The crowd took it out on the TV cameramen at the front of the stage by pelting them with bottles. It proved to be the last performance of the original 10cc line-up of Godley, Creme, Gouldman and Stewart. The Stones came on really late - I remember seeing several people asleep (probably stoned) while the group played.

The stage was in the form of the Stones' lips and tongue logo. It was re-used a few weeks later for the free concert in Hyde Park starring Queen.

The set included 'Honky Tonk Woman', 'Tumbling Dice', 'Star Star', 'Jumping Jack Flash', 'Fool To Cry, 'Get Off My Cloud', 'Around And Around', 'Midnight Rambler' and 'Street Fighting Man'.

[www.concertphotos.uk.com]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: July 27, 2011 18:01

Somes lines about the Knebworth show :

Hi there,

I was at Knebworth in 1976 - as the Assistant TV Director to Michael Lindsay-Hogg who was contracted to direct the TV coverage of the Stones part of the concert.

I think there were 7 TV cameras and late afternoon when Michael and the Vision Mixer had left the Outside Broadcast truck to get a drink I had the chance to direct the cameras when 10 CC played "I'm Not in Love". I think I did a good job since I knew the number so well.

A couple of guys in the crowd have mentioned having to wait for The Stones to come on stage early evening. This was not an intentional delay but a technical fault since I think someone decided that a lot of microphones were going to have to be re-plugged for recording purposes. When the re-plugging happened I think this stopped the Public Address system from working so all the mics had to be plugged back the way they were - hence the long time keeping the audience without anything to interest them.

By now the day was getting cold and dark and some people got angry but one young guy managed to get through Artist's Security and ran naked to the front of the "tongue" stage. I think I remember he dropped his clothes in a neat little pile by his feet.

One of the follow-spot operators must have thought "Hey, the show is starting at last!" and struck up his arc lamp - and the others followed.

Suddenly all the cameras were now getting pictures after an hour of blackness. The camera shots focussed on various parts of this young man's body - I can see his face in MCU as he smiled and closed his eyes. Another camera took a close-up which showed what he was doing with himself with his left hand.

I'm sure this guy was making a statement of some sort but after a mere 30 seconds he had finished his act and then, rather foolishly, jumped off the front of the stage - foolishly because the stage was built over a bit of a valley and I think the jump couldn't have been too kind on his ankles.

A day or two after the gig the local paper reported that "during a technical delay at Knebworth, a young man had entertained the crowd single-handedly." I always thought that was great journalism.

All the major acts were recorded and I remember editing together the great Lynyrd Skynyrd numbers.

I was a 2-inch videotape editor in those days.

I didn't get to see the Stones in the flesh on the day so I have no idea about their release intentions - or anyone else's because I was ignorant about sales/distribution of recorded materials in those days. I don't even know if VHS was generally available then. :-)

I hope that's of some use for your excellent website. I'd love to see some footage of the day - especially my recording of 10 CC's set.

All the best,
David Crossman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[www.ukrockfestivals.com]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: July 27, 2011 18:03

I thought the 75/76 shows were great when I was there listening . I saw them at MSG and I had never heard a band sound so good. But now listening to them I still feel like the band itself sounded pretty good but Jagger was a mess. He wasn't singing at all just running around yelling and doing lord knows what.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 27, 2011 18:05

I have only bits and pieces of the show, and from what I hear it was a very good show, with moments of excellence and a superb set list.

C

p.s.

Which is the best boot for the Knebworth show?

Date: July 27, 2011 18:14

liddas
I have only bits and pieces of the show, and from what I hear it was a very good show, with moments of excellence and a superb set list.

C

p.s.

Which is the best boot for the Knebworth show?

Hopefully my tape when I finally get round to finding it again after all these years. It's in my mum's attic somewhere but in a dry box so should be OK. Otherwise try Hot August Night

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 27, 2011 18:18

Wild Horses from Knebworth is stunning

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 27, 2011 18:20

Silver Dagger
I'd take the 76 tour anyday over the 81/82 tour when the songs were played too fast and sounded cold and emotionless. And being played in stadiums made them lose the intimacy of hearing them in an arena.
Anyway, getting back to Knebworth - you had to really be there to appreciate it. Yes, sure they played sloppy but the excitement of that setlist far outweighed any musical shortcomings. Sometimes it's good just to live for the excitement of the moment and that sure was the case here.

We had been kept waiting for 5 hours and for them to finally take to the stage was an incredible relief after the scorching hot day and then freezing cold night.
Hearing Route 66, Stray Cat Blues, Around And Around, Dead Flowers, Let's Spend The Night Together and other songs for the first time was an incredible experience - under-rehearsed or not. In fact I'd rather hear the Stones play under-rehearsed than many of today's groups' slick and over-polished note perfect live shows. This is rock'n'roll we're talking about - not a classical orchestra.

Yes, I'll go with all that, (although I did really enjoy Bristol & London '82 too) Knebworth for me at least was a fantastic weekend, great setlist, great atmosphere and in those days perfect renditions of songs (ala Pink Floyd etc) were becoming very unfashionable anyway...(just getting me tongue out me cheek - I can just imagine Keith thinking about stuff on that level too.......cool smiley.) - .....yeah brilliant weekend - Lynyrd Skynyrd too of course - the nearest anything ever came (for me at least) to that after was Bob Dylan et al at Blackbushe in '78 - but still not there with the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-27 18:28 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: July 27, 2011 18:24

Yeah, the set list. It was a party for the Stones.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 27, 2011 18:28

One of my least favorite eras for live Stones. I agree though, that '75 was better than '76.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: July 27, 2011 18:39

It was all about being there and part of that great crowd. The setlist was a bonus but nobody really cared that the band were a bit sloppy at times. A bit like Dylan at the Isle of Wight in 1969 - what the hell are these songs he's playing?, he sounds funny - who gives a sh*t it's Dylan!

andy

Date: July 27, 2011 18:41

EddieByword
Silver Dagger

Yes, I'll go with all that, (although I did really enjoy Bristol & London '82 too) Knebworth for me at least was a fantastic weekend, great setlist, great atmosphere and in those days perfect renditions of songs (ala Pink Floyd etc) were becoming very unfashionable anyway...(just getting me tongue out me cheek - I can just imagine Keith thinking about stuff on that level too.......cool smiley.) - .....yeah brilliant weekend - Lynyrd Skynyrd too of course - the nearest anything ever came (for me at least) to that after was Bob Dylan et al at Blackbushe in '78 - but still not there with the Stones.

Sounds like you were at a lot of the same festivals I went to in the 70s Mike. I managed to get to all the Knebworths from 74 to 79

74 - Allman Brothers, Doobie Brothers, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Alex Harvey Band, and Tim Buckley
75 - Pink Floyd, Steve Miller Band, Captain Beefheart, Roy Harper, Linda Lewis
76 - Stones, 10CC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Todd Rundgren/Utopia, Hot Tuna, Don Harrison Band
78 - Frank Zappa, The Tubes, Peter Gabriel, Boomtown Rats, Rockpile,Wilko Johnson''s Solid Senders
78 - Genesis, Jefferson Starship, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Devo, Brand X, Atlanta Rhythm Section
79 - Led Zeppelin, New Barbarians, Todd Rundgren/Utopia, Southside Johnny, Commander Cody, Fairport Convention

Also made it to both The Who shows at Charlton 74 and 76, and a few Hyde Park free shows - Queen and Kevin Ayers/Nico.

Date: July 27, 2011 19:16

Silver Dagger
EddieByword
Silver Dagger

Sounds like you were at a lot of the same festivals I went to in the 70s Mike. I managed to get to all the Knebworths from 74 to 79

74 - Allman Brothers, Doobie Brothers, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Alex Harvey Band, and Tim Buckley
76 - Stones, 10CC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Todd Rundgren/Utopia, Hot Tuna, Don Harrison Band
78 - Frank Zappa, The Tubes, Peter Gabriel, Boomtown Rats, Rockpile,Wilko Johnson''s Solid Senders

78 - Genesis, Jefferson Starship, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Devo, Brand X, Atlanta Rhythm Section
79 - Led Zeppelin, New Barbarians, Todd Rundgren/Utopia, Southside Johnny, Commander Cody, Fairport Convention

Also made it to both The Who shows at Charlton 74 and 76, and a few Hyde Park free shows - Queen and Kevin Ayers/Nico.

Only made it to these 3 Knebworths...I was only 15 for the Floyd show and in army boarding school in Dover then. The IRA were active as you'll know...The regular army used to patrol the school grounds in case there was an attempted hit...Me and a few mates got caught by them in the middle of the night trying to escape to get to Knebworth.........

I did also see Ian Dury at the Hammersmith Odeon (my second fave band) on the Sunday after the New Barbs.....so that was a cracker weekend too...And of course the Who down the Vetch Field in Swansea shortly after seeing the Stones at Earl's Court in '76..I used to sell programs for the football club so had a free pass to the ground....I thought it can't harm to try with a bit of cheek...it worked..I got me and 5/6 mates in for nothing..............
Amazingly Pete Townsend remembered playing there when the Who came back and played the new Liberty stadium in 2007..."Oh yeah, the old ground...right next to the nick...they had a free show"

Did I read right that you support Man City ?...My hearts in my mouth for that first game.........talk about an induction..Swansea's first 3 away matches...Man.City, Arsenal & Chelsea...I hope we're not thinking after that maybe we should have stayed where we were.................eye popping smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 27, 2011 20:15

Although 1975 was much better, the 1976 songs, Hand of fate, Hey Negrita, hot stuff, Fool to cry - were great. Hot stuff has never sounded and looked as cool and fantastic as it did at Knebworth. I love that era.

Date: July 27, 2011 20:39

EddieByword
Silver Dagger
EddieByword
Silver Dagger

Only made it to these 3 Knebworths...I was only 15 for the Floyd show and in army boarding school in Dover then. The IRA were active as you'll know...The regular army used to patrol the school grounds in case there was an attempted hit...Me and a few mates got caught by them in the middle of the night trying to escape to get to Knebworth.........

I did also see Ian Dury at the Hammersmith Odeon (my second fave band) on the Sunday after the New Barbs.....so that was a cracker weekend too...And of course the Who down the Vetch Field in Swansea shortly after seeing the Stones at Earl's Court in '76..I used to sell programs for the football club so had a free pass to the ground....I thought it can't harm to try with a bit of cheek...it worked..I got me and 5/6 mates in for nothing..............
Amazingly Pete Townsend remembered playing there when the Who came back and played the new Liberty stadium in 2007..."Oh yeah, the old ground...right next to the nick...they had a free show"

Did I read right that you support Man City ?...My hearts in my mouth for that first game.........talk about an induction..Swansea's first 3 away matches...Man.City, Arsenal & Chelsea...I hope we're not thinking after that maybe we should have stayed where we were.................eye popping smiley

Yes, I'm a Man City fan Mike and I've supported them since October 67 - the season they amazingly came out of nowhere to win the old first division. I thought you were an Arsenal fan? Anyway, that's a baptism of fire for Swansea. It'd be worth putting a few bob on them beating City - as we all know anything can happen to that crazy team.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 27, 2011 20:49

Listen to Wild Horses and Ronnie especially.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: July 27, 2011 21:45

The ubber-long setlist, the appearance of pre-Jumpin' Jack Flash material, and most importantly, the performance/tease of "Country Honk."
Other than that, it's the "Phantom Menace" of 1970s Stones shows.

Date: July 27, 2011 21:51

Silver Dagger
EddieByword
Silver Dagger
EddieByword
Silver Dagger

Yes, I'm a Man City fan Mike and I've supported them since October 67 - the season they amazingly came out of nowhere to win the old first division. I thought you were an Arsenal fan? Anyway, that's a baptism of fire for Swansea. It'd be worth putting a few bob on them beating City - as we all know anything can happen to that crazy team.

Yeah..Arsenal since '69 when I lived in Gravesend.(& my mother's family were original from Highbury/Arsenal 'til they moved to Wales so that helped me pick one to support as you do when you're a kid if you don't live in a Big team town.).all the kids in Gravesend supported one London team or another..mostly Charlton if I remember rightly.....but I came to Swansea (my father's home town) in '71 and went to watch them beat Gillingham 1-0 in the FA cup 3rd round and have stuck with them too. It was a bit awkward from '81 -'83 when they got into the old 1st Div with John Toshack...Swansea /Arsenal/Swansea/Arsenal etc etc but until now not since.....this year I'll just have to close my eyes and Que Sera those games.............luckily neither game will be a season decider...............

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-28 03:19 by EddieByword.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: July 27, 2011 22:41

I'll take this tour over the TOTA anyday. Don't know why. The 75' tour is my least favorite from before the "Vegas era".

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: July 27, 2011 23:26

stones78
I'll take this tour over the TOTA anyday. Don't know why. The 75' tour is my least favorite from before the "Vegas era".

LOL stones78, 1976 is my least favorite tour of all Stones tours--and I'll also go to my grave believing '75 was the most underrated tour they ever did. But then again, Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle are among my all-time favs, so in the end what do I know? smoking smiley

I never cease to be amazed at how diverse and wide-ranging Stones fans are on such matters. They could make a "Spinal Tap from the fans point-of-view" just on Stones fans alone, and it would be great. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-27 23:50 by stevecardi.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 27, 2011 23:46

Erik_Snow
texas fan

I wouldn't say that, mate; because the highlists of Knewbworth 1976, surpassed the incredible boring European Tour 1976 performances. The surprise was that they had the nerve to do these songs on stage, without rehearsing as much as needed; to say the least.

I'd rather listen to Knewborth 1976 than MOST of the depressing 1976 European Tour concerts (exceptions being; 1st Cologne, 1st and 4th Paris, Barcelona and both Leicester shows (thanks, mr ABT)

Well, we can't always agree, Erik. There are a number of '76 shows I like more than Knebworth -- as far as the ones you mention, I'd say those are considerably better than Knebworth. But, I do agree that the setlist was exceptional, and some of the performances are quite nice.

Date: July 27, 2011 23:59

One thing that is great is Bill Wyman

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: July 28, 2011 02:34

Palace Revolution 2000
One thing that is great is Bill Wyman

Yep, Bill delivered always.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1403
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home