Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Only Found Out Yesterday
Posted by: Ruthie ()
Date: July 20, 2011 21:41

Been listening to this tune over and over - it's so beautiful and so sad... I wonder if it was Keith's reaction to finding out that Patti had cancer?

Re: Only Found Out Yesterday
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 20, 2011 21:43

you mean thru and thru?

Date: July 20, 2011 21:46

guitarbastard
you mean thru and thru?

No, it's 'only found out yesterday' as far as I know. It's here on youtube:

Thru and thru sounds different to me...

It's just such a beautiful tune. No words, either.

Makes sense to me...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 20, 2011 21:52

How?

There's no words, just a bit of doodling and she was only diagnosed about four years ago.

Date: July 20, 2011 21:56

Gazza
How?

There's no words, just a bit of doodling and she was only diagnosed about four years ago.

Well, this tune wasn't published before Shine a Light in 2008, was it? The timing is right, or close.

From what I've read, Patti kept her cancer a secret for a long time, so maybe this was all Keith could say publicly.

Other opinions?

Date: July 20, 2011 22:02

Seems it was recorded during the 'Pirates' session - so, September 2006.

Yes, she did keep her cancer a secret in that it wasnt confirmed publicly until, what, 2009-2010 or so. She'd been diagnosed in 2007 if I recall right. It was near the end of the last tour, I think.

However, its only a title - and is that the 'official' title for sure, or is it something a bootlegger made up?

I can see what youre getting at but its a lot to read into what just sounds like an instrumental doodle. If 'This Place is Empty' had been written a couple of years later, it could be interpreted that way too, I suppose.

Date: July 20, 2011 22:08

Gazza

Yes, she did keep her cancer a secret in that it wasnt confirmed publicly until, what, 2009-2010 or so. She'd been diagnosed in 2007 if I recall right. It was near the end of the last tour, I think.

However, its only a title - and is that the 'official' title for sure, or is it something a bootlegger made up?

I can see what youre getting at but its a lot to read into what just sounds like an instrumental doodle. If 'This Place is Empty' had been written a couple of years later, it could be interpreted that way too, I suppose.

This is the title credited on Shine a Light.

As for the rest, you're probably right. I was just wondering out loud about the inspiration for this tune. It may be just an 'instrumental doodle,' but it's a very coherant one.

Still waiting to hear what anybody else thinks was the inspiration for this tune.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: July 20, 2011 22:11

keith forgot to turn the water off in the bathtub. he only found out yesterday because the tub is now in the living room.

there's your inspiration.

Date: July 20, 2011 22:16

Ruthie
Gazza

This is the title credited on Shine a Light.

As for the rest, you're probably right. I was just wondering out loud about the inspiration for this tune. It may be just an 'instrumental doodle,' but it's a very coherant one.

Still waiting to hear what anybody else thinks was the inspiration for this tune.

Thanks for that.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: July 20, 2011 22:24

Gazza

What's the Pirates session? Did Keith do some music for the movie?

Date: July 20, 2011 22:30

Sipuncula
Gazza

Keith (as Captain Teague) plays this tune in '...At World's End' on a gorgeous old acoustic guitar.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 20, 2011 22:31

Sipuncula
Gazza

If you watch the movie, when all the pirates are having their heated discussion summit thing, Keith grabs a guitar and strums "Only Found Out Yesterday" in the background. Sort of like Elvis...no movies without a guitar in hand.

He also plays it as stated above in the Shine A Light opening movie, and it is featured as a final recorded version at the end of the credits on Shine A Light.

Date: July 21, 2011 00:00

Ruthie
guitarbastard
you mean thru and thru?

No, it's 'only found out yesterday' as far as I know. It's here on youtube:

Thru and thru sounds different to me...

It's just such a beautiful tune. No words, either.

Makes sense to me...

I thought this "Only Found Out Yesterday" from Shine A Light was the spanish piece Keith is talking about in LIFE - the last song he played for Doris?

But I could be wrong.

Date: July 21, 2011 00:16

DandelionPowderman

I thought this "Only Found Out Yesterday" from Shine A Light was the spanish piece Keith is talking about in LIFE - the last song he played for Doris?

But I could be wrong.

Wow. Maybe he wrote it for his mom. How cool. I guess I'm really going to have to read the book.

Thanks for that!

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: July 21, 2011 00:16

That is Maleguena. of that he writes in his book that he learned when he was really young that his mom liked. It is a old spanish guitar standard. Keith didn't write it but he embellished it and make it sound smooth and beautiful

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-21 00:19 by tumbled.

Date: July 21, 2011 00:18

He didn´t write it. It was the first song his grandfather Dupree taught him.

But it might not be the same song.

Date: July 21, 2011 00:20

DandelionPowderman
He didn´t write it. It was the first song his grandfather Dupree taught him.

But it might not be the same song.

Well, Malaguena is a different tune than Only found Out Yesterday. They're both beautiful.

Date: July 21, 2011 00:25

Scorsese filmed the Rolling Stones at the Beacon Theatre on October 29 and November 1, 2006

Date: July 21, 2011 02:45

..apparently it was one of the songs worked on in Paris in May 2002.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 21, 2011 02:56

If I were Keith I would laugh my ass off reading what people see in a musical piece that is obviously nothing more than noodling around a bit. It sounds beautiful, agreed.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 21, 2011 03:00

...its very pretty.

Date: July 21, 2011 03:36

In this clip, Johnnie depp says it is a version of "spanish ladies" old english folk tune

see minute 2:33

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-21 03:38 by tumbled.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: July 21, 2011 16:04

A screen shot from the 40 Licks-sessions in Paris May/June 2002.

N

Date: July 21, 2011 17:12

alimente
If I were Keith I would laugh my ass off reading what people see in a musical piece that is obviously nothing more than noodling around a bit. It sounds beautiful, agreed.

Haha! I was laughing at myself a little bit ago for thinking that I could figure out what Keith Richards was thinking...

Date: July 21, 2011 21:00

NeddieFlanders
A screen shot from the 40 Licks-sessions in Paris May/June 2002.

N

Thanks for looking this up - one other person did, also. Thank you both.

Wow, well this tune is a lot older than I knew, and my theory bites the dust. Oh, well.

They haven't recorded this tune, have they?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 21, 2011 22:44

Ruthie
alimente

Haha! I was laughing at myself a little bit ago for thinking that I could figure out what Keith Richards was thinking...

Well, they are human.....and artists thrive on release.
Ruthie, I get shit all the time for suggesting a song could actually mean something (especially from guy fans, which is interesting to me)......lol Perish the thought!
Hey, we all get different things from the music, and Im like you.....the idea of muse and inspiration is fascinating to me.
Maybe we're just romantics....but then maybe so are Mick and Keith so who's to say who is wrong or right. Maybe Keith was thinking about Patti when he wrote this song. Listen with your heart...nothing wrong with that. After all, Keith plays from the heart, right?

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-21 22:49 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: July 21, 2011 23:37

Does the line "37 still in recut" from the 40 Licks sessions screenshot indicate that the song "Stealing My Heart" was originally called "Still in My Heart"?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 22, 2011 00:11

billwebster
Does the line "37 still in recut" from the 40 Licks sessions screenshot indicate that the song "Stealing My Heart" was originally called "Still in My Heart"?

Quite possible it was "Still In Love".
A song that appears at a lot of 80-s sessions

Date: July 22, 2011 01:31

billwebster

Recut version of 'Still In Love', I'd say.

Date: July 22, 2011 03:59

stupidguy2
Ruthie
alimente

Well, they are human.....and artists thrive on release.
Ruthie, I get shit all the time for suggesting a song could actually mean something (especially from guy fans, which is interesting to me)......lol Perish the thought!
Hey, we all get different things from the music, and Im like you.....the idea of muse and inspiration is fascinating to me.
Maybe we're just romantics....but then maybe so are Mick and Keith so who's to say who is wrong or right. Maybe Keith was thinking about Patti when he wrote this song. Listen with your heart...nothing wrong with that. After all, Keith plays from the heart, right?

How very kind of you to say this! Thank you for your thoughtful words.

I realize that the one thing that we all have here is an appreciation for the Stones, and that otherwise, we all are (probably) very different.

I still wonder why this tune hasn't been finished (past the 'noodling around' stage;-) and recorded...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home