Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Tattoo You...not their real "last great" album?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 21, 2011 02:30

RobertJohnson
Still I think ABB is a great album which is widely underrated. In twenty years it will be a classic one like Exile!

After it ages like fine wine? Hah! We've had five years with it. I'm very confident that it in 20 more years people will still be saying "Sweet Neo Con" sucks the big one.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 21, 2011 02:50

If anything, Wandering Spirit, Talk Is Cheap and some stuff from Main Offender show that they had a great classic album in them after Tattoo You, but it never materialized as a Stones project. You can't make a great album when you save the best stuff for your solo efforts.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 21, 2011 02:52

So I take it that the official consensus is that the majority of the board would not treat Tattoo You any differently than the other albums just because it is outtake-heavy....?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 21, 2011 02:53

isn't Exile....by their own admission the ultimate outake?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 21, 2011 02:55

You might very well think that ABB (or BTB or VL) is a great album. It doesn't matter, it will never be considered as such. The Stones Canon are the big four. Next in line are SG and TY and some of their earlier albums. Amen.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 21, 2011 02:59

Big four? Ya Yas belongs in there, Live album or not ... so it's the "big five canon". Just like Live At Leeds is a major part of The Who's legacy.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 21, 2011 06:06

Tattoo is wonderful. And I know people will disagree, but to me it's a better album than SOME GIRLS. I dont give a rats ass if it was from older sessions because the way they sequenced the songs was pure genius. Side 2 is probably the most cohesive set of music the Stones have ever put out( maybe with the exception of side 2 of Exile) Tattoo is a classic.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: July 21, 2011 06:15

engerling23
I would say WANDERING SPIRIT.

Agreed.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: July 21, 2011 06:49

Seems to me that "great" should be defined.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: July 21, 2011 06:53

Tattoo You is a very average album to me. Slightly better than Emotional Rescue, miles ahead of Undercover, but overall, pretty damn lazy. Bridges to Babylon blows it out of the water. That's a band making new music that they care about. Then they quit caring cause all their fans didn't care. So sad.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 21, 2011 07:03

"official consensus"... "the majority of the board would"...

On IORR, there has NEVER been a thread where everybody agreed on anything, but I am sure someone will disagree with that ; )

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 21, 2011 07:45

Bashlets
Tattoo is wonderful. And I know people will disagree, but to me it's a better album than SOME GIRLS. I dont give a rats ass if it was from older sessions because the way they sequenced the songs was pure genius. Side 2 is probably the most cohesive set of music the Stones have ever put out( maybe with the exception of side 2 of Exile) Tattoo is a classic.

I agree, it's as good as Some Girls, and they were absolute geniuses at turning lemons into lemonades. SG had a spark of freshness and vitality to it that I really loved though. In a way, it was a "mood" album like Exile, although unlike Exile it yielded two mega hits.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 21, 2011 09:39

Bashlets

I think 'Some Girls' has a real frehness and vitality about it, but i'm not so sure it stands up so well over repeated listens. 'Tattoo You' has more richness, more depth, so to speak, even if, in my opinion it suffers from being a little patchy in places. Hindsight has been very kind to 'Tattoo You' also, mainly because the Stones follow ups have been so utterly underwhelming by comparison. I don't think 'Tattoo You' is actually that great an album, but it's a good solid album, where the songwriting, playing, and production values comes together quite well. This is especially true, considering that much of its contents were assembled from different eras. Had the Stones managed to maintain that type of quality a little longer, then the album perhaps would not be described as 'great', but merely good, which i think is closer to the truth. That's not to say there aren't great individual tracks, because there are on a number of occasions, and ones which can hold their own alongside the Stones earlier classics reasonably well. The richness, and attention to detail, even on the lesser tracks, has to be really appreciated though, because that is a real rarity for the Stones during the Wood era. The Stones during the Wood era, as a rule, have a pretty thin sound, but here there is a thicker sound, and a level of sophistication, last heard on 'Black And Blue'. Of, course the fact that the album is made up of outtakes from a previous era, also has a large bearing, but also an acknowlegement has to be made concerning the mixing, because the album has a remarkable cohesiveness throughout.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-21 09:40 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 21, 2011 09:56

mickijaggeroo
Undercover!

Agree, except for ABB and the EXILE rerelease with new material.

Date: July 21, 2011 09:58

Bashlets
thumbs up

Date: July 21, 2011 09:58

nonfilter
Tattoo You is a very average album to me. Slightly better than Emotional Rescue, miles ahead of Undercover, but overall, pretty damn lazy. Bridges to Babylon blows it out of the water. That's a band making new music that they care about. Then they quit caring cause all their fans didn't care. So sad.

[www.non-filters.com]

Good lord...are you actually a stones fan?

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 21, 2011 11:51

Clockwise from top left, Virgin, Virgin Remaster, Universal 2009 SHM-CD Reamaster and 2011 UK DSD remastering SACD.

Good album comes stealing on!grinning smiley

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 21, 2011 11:57

treaclefingers
nonfilter

[www.non-filters.com]

Good lord...are you actually a stones fan?

Well if he's not then I'm not either. I agree totally with his (or her) remarks.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: July 21, 2011 12:13

Still Life is the last.
There are good albums like Voodoo or Babylon or Undercover but classic Rolling Stones was the first twenty years (1962-1982)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 21, 2011 12:27

MKjan
Interesting, such a overwhelming consensus on the big 4, and everything else is all over the place.

I would put to the second group of albums (not in a particular order) AFTERMATH, GOATS HEAD SOUP, SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU, and their first album bubbling just under.

And yes TATTOO you is their last truely "great" album and it is a proper new studio album in every sense. Funny though, despite some of the material dating quite back, it is one of their most coherent sounding albums!

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-21 12:30 by Doxa.

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: July 21, 2011 15:40

Voodoo Lounge is GREAT!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 21, 2011 16:11

To be a bit logical about this. I think it often comes down to your age which Stones albums you prefer. Those born in the 40s tends to like No 1 and Aftermath the best; the 50s generation the big four and maybe Some Girls, the 60s Tattoo You and maybe Undercover, the 70s and forward actually appreciates their newer material and so on. Remember Schopenhauer's (or any other philosopher) words (I'm parafrasing here) time, space and causality constitutes the world.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 21, 2011 16:14

Tattoo You IS NOT their real "last great" album. geeeeeeeeez

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1586
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home