Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What's all the Fuss about The Stones Opening the Vaults?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 18, 2011 22:11

Nope Eddie - originally from Camden, north London. Now from Hertfordshire. I seem to recall a trader too from Derby, a long time ago though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-19 11:50 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 18, 2011 22:27

organicjoe
To me, opening the vaults is for example; one disc of Honky Tonk Women. Start with the first acoustic strum take (or whatever the first idea was), all through the numerous arrangements and versions, include single instrument tracks along the way, all this chronological to the final and released version. This would be an hour of heaven.

For you certainly. For most us, here, likely. Is it commercially viable? Not a chance in hell. The only way it could work would be as a download. Everything you describe for $4.95, delivered straight to your computer and maybe a few hundred others who would care to delve that deeply.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 18, 2011 22:53

What's the fuss about the vaults? There's a lot of live stuff I'd like to see get an official release for a start but since the Stones appear not to be the best caretakers of their legacy they should hand over the responsibility to someone else. I hereby volunteer myself for the job...

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 18, 2011 23:25

the vaults that i really care about are the video vaults there must be tons of footage from every tour in great quality just sitting around , i mean what the hell mick you cant take them to your grave with you

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 18, 2011 23:49

They actually release from time to time a song or two from the vaults. On Metamorphosis they are a couple of interesting tracks (the last ones in particular). Then there's Tattoo You of course loaded with songs from the seventies. You can also find some of these songs on b-sides : Through the Lonely Nights from the Goats Head Soup sessions, Think I'm Going Mad from Emotional Rescue, Cook Cook Blues from Undercover, So Young from Some Girls sessions released only in 1994...
Tracks that remain unreleased and are almost finished are not so many though.

More interesting maybe are all the "alternate takes" and working versions of well known songs. Things like the 11 minutes long version of Miss You, the reggae version of Start Me Up, the 1972 version of Waiting On A friend, the original stripped down version of Wild Horses and so on... These are real gems to unearth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-18 23:51 by kowalski.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: July 19, 2011 00:50

This thread has got to be a piss-take. Anyone who claims there aren't hour after hour of awesome material in the vaults needs to have his (or her, thanks Eric) head examined. For goodness sake, I've got 100 boots myself, and I know I'm a minor collector compared to many.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-19 00:52 by Zack.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 19, 2011 01:01

It's all to late, anyway. The thrill is gone. I'm not gonna jump of joy for a 40 year old outtake. And these re-issues is just a way for Mick to steal time and rake in the last pennies from the fans. The vaults are now an interest mainly for Stones archeologists.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 19, 2011 01:09

melillo
the vaults that i really care about are the video vaults there must be tons of footage from every tour in great quality just sitting around , i mean what the hell mick you cant take them to your grave with you

From the Ronnie era perhaps, but I doubt if there's much concert footage from the Jones & Taylor years.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 19, 2011 04:50

Film and Tape have limited shelf lives...the vaults is falling apart year by year.

Soon the 70's stuff will be under attck by time and elements....

Posted by: mrD ()
Date: July 19, 2011 09:26

Spodlumt
(It has something mystical, it is based on the assumption that the stones do not put their best songs on to albums, but hide them. e.g. ABB is a bad album with bad songs, but under the radar was their best song since satisfaction.)

WITHOUT QUESTION THE MOST RIDICULOUS STATEMENT EVER MADE ON THIS BOARD!

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I get the slight impression, I'm being miss understood. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 19, 2011 09:44

Variation on a theme: Pink Floyd are opening their vaults in the coming months with a series of various packages including original mixes, outtakes and live shows. From what I've read it seems to be a tastefully produced, worthwhile project with the basic discs being reasonably priced. Good stuff...if you like Pink Floyd.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: July 19, 2011 10:56

imo it´s all about money and they will open and maybe relaese box sets of sessions, it´s planned with dylan, it happened with a lot of others so the stones will follow, the only question is WHEN

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: July 19, 2011 11:36

The Exile outtakes was a real dissapointment, and I would prefer to keep the vaults closed. There's a reason that the songs didn't make it on the original records. I find it most enjoyable to listen to outtake bootlegs, because those are real working progress, and that is always fun to listen to. But to have the boys add guitars, new lyrics and vocals, backup vocals and stuff.... Please don't.

I loved the "new" songs on Ya yas though, but again, they are the way they were, and just makes the live album more complete.

If I could have it my way I would love to have the whole set from El Mocambo as the "bonus cd" on a re-release of Love your live. Dance little sister and Route 66 are most welcome....thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-19 11:37 by NedKelly.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 19, 2011 11:56

It doesn't just have to be unreleased songs. The Beatles unearthed three double CDs of alternative takes and live songs with very few unreleased songs. I'd love to hear alt takes of stuff like Midnight Rambler, Jumping Jack Flash, Street Fight Man, We Love You, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Monkey Man, Let It Bleed, Rocks Off, Coming Down Again, Time Waits For No One etc.

So I think that they could definitely equal The Beatles in coming up with a few nice volumes of archive material.

Date: July 19, 2011 12:09

R
Silver Dagger
R
This is what we all know from listening to the bootlegs:

A)The Stones "write songs" by endlessly noodling in the studio. Often just Keith, Mick and/or Charlie playing with a riff or a crude musical idea.
cool smileyOnce the concept sort of gels they'll record a 10-12 minute version of it, usually to end up with four minutes of solid performance.
C)Then, hopefully, this will inspire lyrics, a chorus and perhaps a bridge segment which will be cropped into, or overdubbed upon, the basic recording.
D) They will then add Ronnie, maybe Darryl as well as some other instruments and effects resulting in a 5-6 minute track which will then be
E)edited (often too much i.e ABB, Some Girls)to 4 minutes or so and released.

This is what we can assume is in the vaults:

See "A," above.

Hence, it's safe to conclude there ain't nuthin' IN the vaults, Certainly not anything different or any better than what we know already. The Stones are notoriously lazy in their work and creative ethic resulting in just enough material to get by, especially in the post Tattoo You era

In that case you've never heard the Some Girls Paris sessions - about 25 unreleased songs there alone. And then there's all the stuff from the 90s as well.
Plus there's loads of different version of songs from the 60s. I'd guess there must be at least 75-100 decent complete songs - be it unreleased or alt versions -that they could release.

The late '70s Paris sessions was precisely why I said they haven't worked hard SINCE the post 'Tattoo You' era. I'm aware of that inspired and final large volume of work which resulted in both Some Girls and most of Emotional Rescue along with parts of Tattoo You. I am NOT aware, however, of any finished songs from then with the possible exception of Claudine and Do You Think I Care. Like the 4-6 volumes of Voodoo outtakes everything else is elongated and often meandering jams (Miss You, Whip Comes Down, You Got Me Rockin,' Sparks) or unfinished pieces and parts. Given that BTB was the only other work from the '90s and it was essentially dualing solo albums, I'm not aware of any outtakes from that era other than Keith's preferred mix of Might As Well Get Juiced. Given how 'padded' that record is, and how arduous the conditions of its creation, it's safe to assume that had any other quality material existed it could have easily replaced Too Tight or How Can I stop. Wonderful variants of issued Steel Wheels and ABB material exist but nothing finished or previously unheard of any consequence.

I'm sure '60s material exists but what has leaked in the FOUR DECADES since is likewise just unfinished variations of already issued material which logically leads one to conclude that there is is little else to be heard.

Did you hear Voodoo Brew? It was Pathe Marconi all over again. Lots of new songs, sounding great.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 19, 2011 12:25

The Rolling Stones need to do something similar to the Elvis Presley "follow that dream" series of expanded albums & soundboard concert recordings.

[www.completeelvispresley.com]

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: July 19, 2011 13:03

Sleepy City
The Rolling Stones need to do something similar to the Elvis Presley "follow that dream" series of expanded albums & soundboard concert recordings.

[www.completeelvispresley.com]

that´s an idea! yes! thogh I don´t think it´ll happen.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 19, 2011 13:53

We will have Some Girls redux (whatever that is...). That's it. Then Jagger turns 70 and will start thinking of selling the rights to the vaults (whatever he can sell...). Then things will start to happen quickly because the fanbase is literally dying out... .

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 19, 2011 13:58

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: July 19, 2011 14:52

Some of the Beatles Anthology 6 discs are fakes, unfinished takes stiched together to make a new finished version (like the Exile bonus disc!) and as there's never been a live CD by the Beatles fans were short changed with single tracks. But then nearly the whole lot had been bootlegged any way so why worry.

Most of 'The Vault' is already out there and easy to get hold of. An official release won't make any difference (except the band will get a little money out of it).

It's unlikely there's any thing of great quality lying around in Micks attic.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 19, 2011 15:04

NedKelly
The Exile outtakes was a real dissapointment, and I would prefer to keep the vaults closed. There's a reason that the songs didn't make it on the original records. I find it most enjoyable to listen to outtake bootlegs, because those are real working progress, and that is always fun to listen to. But to have the boys add guitars, new lyrics and vocals, backup vocals and stuff.... Please don't.

If you're looking for a typical example of an album's leftovers, then the Exile bonus disc is a bad one to give.

The band's only bonafide double album, which used several songs which were already left over from a previous record only a year earlier and which were added to pad it out and a record where the only songs with finished vocals were probably the ones which made the album

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home