Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: It's time to move on
Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: July 18, 2011 19:41

Stoneage
Personally, I'm not that keen on Stones albums before BB. I consider BB their first "modern" album. But that's just my humble opinion. I know they had many hit-singles before that though. Satisfaction, for example was made in 1965.

BB certainly marks their arrival as an album band. Prior to that they were a sociological phenomenon and a great singles band. The albums are nothing more than a loose collection of tracks. They lack the coherent unity present in the Beatles albums from the same era.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 18, 2011 19:48

Stoneage
Personally, I'm not that keen on Stones albums before BB. I consider BB their first "modern" album. But that's just my humble opinion. I know they had many hit-singles before that though. Satisfaction, for example was made in 1965.

I'm the other way round in that I've always listened to their albums up to Between The Buttons in their entirety far more often (from TSMR onwards I tend to just dip into them to play my favourites).

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 18, 2011 19:49

NICOS

I think they lost half of their fan base when they released Beggar's Banquet.................

Quite possibly. Beggars wasn't a fantastic seller and the Stones were lagging behind the Beatles by 1967. The Stones two best-selling UK LP's are the Rolling Stones and The Rolling Stones No. 2. The best-selling single in the UK was The Last Time. You could arguer that they had reached their sales peak as early as the beginning of 1965. It sounds ridiculous, but figures do not lie.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 18, 2011 19:51

I think Mick is still a brilliant lyricist, who has gotten better with age. Unfortunately he doesn't have the musical backing he used to have. He's a singer and main lyricist,so it's not his responsibility in the band to manage the musical end of it. He needs help. He doesn't have a Brian Jones or Mick Taylor to assist. He doesn't have a Bill Wyman to round the edges of some raggedy compositions. Still, they will return. There will be concerts. There will be a 2012 tour. Anybody want to bet against it?

The car you drive's a rusty wreck,
it's always you who pays the check......

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 18, 2011 19:54

Dude, I just read your first line and didn't have to read more before scrolling down here to tell you should go listen to Paul Simon's song MAYBE I THINK TOO MUCH.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 18, 2011 19:59

Baxter Thwaites
Stoneage

BB certainly marks their arrival as an album band. Prior to that they were a sociological phenomenon and a great singles band. The albums are nothing more than a loose collection of tracks. They lack the coherent unity present in the Beatles albums from the same era.

I would argue that the Stones and Beatles became album bands at roughly the same time - The Beatles with Rubber Soul and the Stones with Aftermath. Both continued to do stand-alone singles which weren't included on albums through 1969.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 18, 2011 20:15

71Tele
I would argue that the Stones and Beatles became album bands at roughly the same time - The Beatles with Rubber Soul and the Stones with Aftermath.

So did The Beach Boys, The Kinks & The Who to name 3 others. Things were just moving in that direction.

71Tele
Both continued to do stand-alone singles which weren't included on albums through 1969.

As solo artists The Beatles did this for far longer. The biggest selling UK single ever (at the time) Mull Of Kintyre wasn't on Paul's current album at the time, & even some of his mid to late 80s hits (Spies Like Us, Once Upon A Long Ago) were stand-alone singles. Several of John's biggest hits too (Cold Turkey, Instant Karma, Happy Christmas, etc) weren't on albums either.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 18, 2011 20:36

Title5Take1
Dude, I just read your first line and didn't have to read more before scrolling down here to tell you should go listen to Paul Simon's song MAYBE I THINK TOO MUCH.

As opposed to thinking too little?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1422
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home