Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Interview with Keith 1971
Posted by: pennyharp ()
Date: July 20, 2011 07:06

1) Two interviewers? I wonder who the lady is she said "we were talking the other day about french music". (approximately)

2) So much of this interview lets you know how early on Keith made up his mind about so many things.(Even if this is still not exactly early)

...simplicity, him being an antenna, not working it too hard on a song, not doing your music too clean and needed to be muddied up a bit. wanting old equipment and not using all sixteen tracks, loving the smaller venues....

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: July 20, 2011 12:00

The other interviewer is most likely the journalist Eva af Geijerstam:

"DN-employee Eva af Geijerstam also visited Villa NellcĂ´te this early summer for an extended interview with Keith Richards.

- It was of course incredibly fun. We looked at the studio and living room with piano and all the guitars and then sat in the sunshine by the sea, and spoke, "she says today. Richards was sober, pleasant and happy then, very talkative. Anita Pallenberg, however, his partner, did not look so spirited out - more like a ghost. But I can imagine that it was a relatively drug-free period. It was a press conference the day before we got there."

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 15, 2012 20:19

Woot, this great interview is still up!

thumbs up

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 16, 2012 11:10

Fantastic interview -- thanks for posting!

So interesting how, in reply to the observation that Mick is the best known of the Stones, Keith says--I'm paraphrasing--well, somebody has to do the talking and people always remember whoever that is, the one who was talking, and the rest of us...well, we let him do the talking, and I'd rather, y'know, go get high or something while he's doing that.

And shortly after Keith talks about the "work" part of being a musician--the "boring parts," the parts he doesn't enjoy at all, like dealing with money and all those business people, etc.

And he also says they'll be touring America and he hopes it isn't a huge extravaganza this time...

Those 3 parts fit together because when the Stones did tour, of course it was an extravaganza. But you can kind of imagine--and it's supported by what he says in this interview--that when it came time to do the "boring" stuff, talking to the business people, and discussing money, and being a spokesperson...he ultimately deferred to Mick, let him be the one who "had to do the talking" while he, Keith, would rather get high, as he says.

It's a shame. Because of the whole interview, the 2 parts where he most completely animated is when talking about (1) the "reincarnation of Brian Jones" in the form of his new soulmate, Bobby Keyes, and (2) how he would love to play small venues in America, and play Memphis one night but then find the place where Rick & the Red Stripes play the next night in some roadside shack, and play there and record it. But it seems it was more in him to dream like that, then to make it happen. And as much as he would complain about Mick's decisions, he probably literally--as he said--would rather be off getting high.

I appreciate this interview a great deal. And think he sounds quite good. At the same time, to me--and perhaps no one else--he doesn't sound as sharp or reflective as other interviews of that era.

Still---it was a huge treat! and I loved hearing both those things that would become staples of every interview eventually (pennyharp nailed it), as well as some things I'd never heard him comment on.

Date: February 16, 2012 11:35

Great interview, thanks for posting!

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: January 14, 2013 13:35

Since the megaupload link is long gone I would love a reupload if anyone has the time.

Posted by: Slim Harpo ()
Date: January 14, 2013 14:27

Brilliant, thank you.

"Call me up on the phone some time!" I wonder if she did...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home