Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Otis Rocks Oslo With "Satisfaction"
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 16, 2011 07:53

The Stax-Volt Tour arrived in Oslo, Norway in 1967. The band was none other than Booker T & The MGs with the Markey horns. Otis had to follow Sam & Dave, who tore the place up. I don't think the audience had ever seen a show like this. The army kept pushing people back into their seats whenever they jumped up and rushed the stage.

Otis' energy is amazing. I love how he just gives up on the lyrics after the first verse. He took the song to another level. Mick & Keith must have been quite proud to have the King of Soul record and perform their tune.

Gearheads like me will notice the Marshall amps - they couldn't use their Fenders which wouldn't work in Europe - and Al Jackson Jr.'s Gretsch drum kit.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="

?version=3&amp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-16 07:57 by 71Tele.

Re: Otis Rocks Oslo With "Satisfaction"
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 16, 2011 07:59

Otis also played it during his brief set at Monterey, and it was reported that the performance brought tears to the eyes of Brian, who was watching from backstage.

Hell, it brings tears to my eyes, watching it on video 44 years later!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: July 16, 2011 08:05

Otis was in a stratosphere of his own. I only wish I could have seen him perform in person. Live in Europe is one of my favorite albums.

Date: July 16, 2011 08:12

DaveG
Otis was in a stratosphere of his own. I only wish I could have seen him perform in person. Live in Europe is one of my favorite albums.

The whole Oslo show is available on DVD. Sam & Dave, Otis, Eddie Floyd, and Booker T & The MGs. The sound and camera work is amazing. Were any Norwegian IORRers at that show? Or their parents?

Date: July 16, 2011 08:15

loog droog
Otis also played it during his brief set at Monterey, and it was reported that the performance brought tears to the eyes of Brian, who was watching from backstage.

Hell, it brings tears to my eyes, watching it on video 44 years later!

Here it is Loog, along with another song we Stones fans are familiar with.

?version=3&amp

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 16, 2011 10:52

It has only really just occurred to me that the Stones base their live rendition on Otis' take. I had never heard the Otis version 'till now, btw.

Date: July 17, 2011 15:51

71Tele
The Stax-Volt Tour arrived in Oslo, Norway in 1967. The band was none other than Booker T & The MGs with the Markey horns. Otis had to follow Sam & Dave, who tore the place up. I don't think the audience had ever seen a show like this. The army kept pushing people back into their seats whenever they jumped up and rushed the stage.

Otis' energy is amazing. I love how he just gives up on the lyrics after the first verse. He took the song to another level. Mick & Keith must have been quite proud to have the King of Soul record and perform their tune.

Gearheads like me will notice the Marshall amps - they couldn't use their Fenders which wouldn't work in Europe - and Al Jackson Jr.'s Gretsch drum kit.

?version=3&amp

This show is awesome. It was shown on norwegian TV again last year.

I think our own Addicted can be spotted with her father on this show smiling smiley

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: July 17, 2011 17:36

Did go to that fantastic show

Can be seen at 1:46 smiling smiley

All the Best!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-17 17:54 by Heart for Stones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2225
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home