Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Would Keith Richards Approve Of Mick Taylor Returning To The Rolling Stones?
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 15, 2011 17:13

rollmops
EddieByword
I heard an interview with Mick a few years back, when asked about Mick taylor he said "I don't think the other members of the band would like it"....of course things can change...............

But the fact that Ronnie Wood has played gigs with Mick Taylor recently and the 2 of them appeared to get along quite well is a first step, maybe.At least Ron isn't uptight with the idea of playing with Mick Taylor which one may argue he could.
Rock and Roll,.
Mops

This is true and may not even be a change...Mick said "other members of the band"...despite that I still felt that he was actually 'saying' it was Keith woudn't that like it...........anyway, yeah that interview was a while back and as they say the only constant is change..........

Re: Would Keith Richards Approve Of Mick Taylor Returning To The Rolling Stones?
Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: July 15, 2011 17:31

behroez, I understand where you are coming from, but my point of view is trying to turn back the hands of time, regardless of how anyone may view anothers talent just wouldn't be the same Stones to the majority.Any concert performed by anybody is not just music anymore, its visual as well. How many punters under 50 know who Taylor is and what he has done, how many under 30 know who Wyman is, they have never seen them. I am not talking about us fellers who frequent these boards, we amount to no one in the whole scheme of things. For studio work why not, but tour wise it would be a waste.Hope I havent gone off the rails here.

Re: Would Keith Richards Approve Mick Taylor's Return To The Rolling Stones?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 15, 2011 18:02

71Tele
Sleepy City
Maybe Mick, Keith, Charlie & Ronnie could vote on it. I wonder how that would pan out?

A 2-2 deadlock.

Blondie casts the deciding vote...or chuck

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 15, 2011 18:10

hot stuff
I really wonder if Mick Tayler is in shape enough to play with the Stones...He really
doesn't seem to be in the best of health to tour..
He hasn't toured in a long time because of health reasons..

I would love to have Taylor back..But could he really do it??

haha ± great!! I think you are talking about Keef, is he healthy enough?
Taylor is hooking up with Ronnie the past months. Keef is lying low.
I wonder why???
Byeeee
Jeroen
ps Go Ronnie Go, and form a band wth Taylor and Charlie
byeeee
Jeroen

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 15, 2011 18:36

corriecas
Keef is lying low.
I wonder why???

Because his wife is recovering from a serious form of cancer perhaps?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 15, 2011 18:53

whiskey
behroez, I understand where you are coming from, but my point of view is trying to turn back the hands of time, regardless of how anyone may view anothers talent just wouldn't be the same Stones to the majority.Any concert performed by anybody is not just music anymore, its visual as well. How many punters under 50 know who Taylor is and what he has done, how many under 30 know who Wyman is, they have never seen them. I am not talking about us fellers who frequent these boards, we amount to no one in the whole scheme of things. For studio work why not, but tour wise it would be a waste.Hope I havent gone off the rails here.

By your reasoning Ron Wood or Keith Richards shouldn't appear either.

Date: July 15, 2011 19:45

Amazing! When Ronnie is everywhere, playing better than ever, people ask for Mick Taylor. We saw how "great" Mick Taylor was on the Stu-gig. Is that what you want for 2012.

Would be fun if he joined for a one/off, though.

Keith is the only one who can "save" another tour. If he is rehearsed AND re-learns when to play/when not to play, I´m sure the boys will rock´n´roll again.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 15, 2011 20:19

To save everyone some embarrassment, I hope they would get together in private, play, give it some time and see how it feels, see how it goes. If I were Taylor I would not blindly walk in and expect that it would work. From the band's perspective, I hope it would re-evaluate what it wants to do, what it is about. Otherwise, who cares? Men in their '60's trying to put on a show from their younger days? When Townshend said "Please don't grow old gracefully, it wouldn't suit you" (or some such words), I think he was wrong.

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: July 15, 2011 20:31

What are Mick T. real health problems?

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: July 16, 2011 07:22

71tele, I cant quite grasp your reasoning of my reasoning

Date: July 16, 2011 07:41

whiskey
71tele, I cant quite grasp your reasoning of my reasoning

Yeah, that's ok. I meant that as far as visuals go, Mr. taylor is no worse off than two certain other Stones guitarists. The thrill of all five "real" Stones performing together again trumps any visual issues. No one who goes to see the Stones in the last 20 years is going to see beautiful human beings in their prime. This is (or should be) about music first and foremost.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 16, 2011 16:52

71Tele
whiskey

By your reasoning Ron Wood or Keith Richards shouldn't appear either.

yes, this isn't exactly the stones in their early 20's, and need to boot Ian Stewart because he's pudgy and has a square jaw.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: July 16, 2011 18:59

varilla
What are Mick T. real health problems?

He doesn't have any health issues. Seems people on here think because he is fat that he can't play on stage with the 4 skinny Stones. I can't imagine why the image of the Stones would be tarnished if they let a fat person play on stage that can play circles around the current guitarists. I hope a reunion happens either for one concert or a tour (even if it is was just a European tour so Bill would play). It's not like Darryl is a skinny stage presence.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 17, 2011 00:38

MT has sufered horrific back pain for years and took lots of pain meds, got hooked on those and has had a problem with pill abuse for quite some time...not sure if he's clean now but he wasn't when I saw him a few years back.

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: July 17, 2011 14:47

Outside of a cameo at Hyde Park, orchestrated by facilitator RW, MT will not be joining or touring with the band. As Whiskey mentioned, 99% of punters (Brit slang for paying customers) don't know or give a rat's @ss who MT is. We here are an exclusive, minority fan base that has followed the band in a historical sense. But the machine comes down to dollars (or pounds) and cents.

Like others have mentioned MT is not in top form. Even when I saw him perform...8 years ago or so, 5 feet away in a brew pub, in rumpled slacks and jacket, my friend remarked "He looks like a homeless person." He was overweight and smoking. He still sounded great and I was transfixed that my rock guitar idol was standing feet in front of me, human as can be. But he is not the mythic MT from '73. RW is a much better visual stage image than MT; and that's what the 99% of punters respond to.

And despite Keith's magnanimous quote, I don't buy it: I recall quotes that KR was furious at MT's live volume, and MJ was quoted as saying MT left the band because of KR. RW has been a much better match for KR; they're mates. I don't think KR and MT didn't get along, I just think there was some tension. From a fan's perspective the tension was good, but we're not inside the band.

Seeing MT in a cameo in Hyde Park will be nostalgic for me; it will be good, but what I would really want would be MT as a fixture, recording new material with the band. So the cameo will be a bittersweet event of what could have been. Mixed emotions there.

Date: July 17, 2011 15:41

paulm
Outside of a cameo at Hyde Park, orchestrated by facilitator RW, MT will not be joining or touring with the band. As Whiskey mentioned, 99% of punters (Brit slang for paying customers) don't know or give a rat's @ss who MT is. We here are an exclusive, minority fan base that has followed the band in a historical sense. But the machine comes down to dollars (or pounds) and cents.

Like others have mentioned MT is not in top form. Even when I saw him perform...8 years ago or so, 5 feet away in a brew pub, in rumpled slacks and jacket, my friend remarked "He looks like a homeless person." He was overweight and smoking. He still sounded great and I was transfixed that my rock guitar idol was standing feet in front of me, human as can be. But he is not the mythic MT from '73. RW is a much better visual stage image than MT; and that's what the 99% of punters respond to.

And despite Keith's magnanimous quote, I don't buy it: I recall quotes that KR was furious at MT's live volume, and MJ was quoted as saying MT left the band because of KR. RW has been a much better match for KR; they're mates. I don't think KR and MT didn't get along, I just think there was some tension. From a fan's perspective the tension was good, but we're not inside the band.

Seeing MT in a cameo in Hyde Park will be nostalgic for me; it will be good, but what I would really want would be MT as a fixture, recording new material with the band. So the cameo will be a bittersweet event of what could have been. Mixed emotions there.

Where do you have this from??

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: July 17, 2011 18:20

RS interview, Jann Wenner, '95:
WENNER:
Why did Mick Taylor leave?
JAGGER:
I still don’t really know.
WENNER:
He never explained?
JAGGER:
Not really. He wanted to have a solo career. I think he found it difficult to get on with Keith.
WENNER:
On musical issues?
JAGGER:
Everything. I’m guessing.

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: July 17, 2011 18:37

If they have MT and Bill in the studio for an album then there would seem to eb a decent chance.

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-17 18:45 by bigfrankie.

Date: July 17, 2011 18:39

paulm
WENNER:
JAGGER:
WENNER:
He never explained?
JAGGER:
Not really. He wanted to have a solo career. I think he found it difficult to get on with Keith.
WENNER:
On musical issues?
JAGGER:

"I think he found it difficult to get on with Keith".

Among all the different theories put forward, this is rarely mentioned, yet here we have it from Jagger himself.

Date: July 17, 2011 18:53

71Tele
paulm
WENNER:
JAGGER:
WENNER:
He never explained?
JAGGER:
WENNER:
On musical issues?
JAGGER:

Among all the different theories put forward, this is rarely mentioned, yet here we have it from Jagger himself.

Rarely mentioned - true. Stones fans with an appreciation of the bands history will quite well understand this as the most plausible theory for Taylor's depature. Jagger doesn't have to spell it out. He never does.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-17 19:28 by wanderingspirit66.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 17, 2011 20:23

DandelionPowderman
Amazing! When Ronnie is everywhere, playing better than ever, people ask for Mick Taylor. We saw how "great" Mick Taylor was on the Stu-gig. Is that what you want for 2012.

Although Ron is the entertainer and playing good, on "Boogie for Stu" Taylor has the better sound, feel and tone imo.

That's why people people ask for Taylor.
Simple as that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-17 20:33 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 17, 2011 20:43

Ive heard stories about keith being furious with mick t in the studio, stuff like you are great live but lost in the studio, i know i read this some place

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: July 17, 2011 21:14

No...he might play too loud.

Date: July 17, 2011 21:16

GimmieChris

Give me a break...As we all know, there is only one Rolling Stones guitarist allowed to play too loud.

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: July 17, 2011 21:34

71Tele
GimmieChris

Give me a break...As we all know, there is only one Rolling Stones guitarist allowed to play too loud.

Yeah I know what you mean Tele....Keith that said about Taylor in Kansas'81.

Posted by: Swedgen72 ()
Date: July 20, 2011 05:29

rollmops
But the fact that Ronnie Wood has played gigs with Mick Taylor recently and the 2 of them appeared to get along quite well is a first step, maybe.At least Ron isn't uptight with the idea of playing with Mick Taylor which one may argue he could.
Rock and Roll,.
Mops

To be fair, Ronnie has mentioned many times that he and Taylor were mates before Taylor joined the Stones, they go right back to when Taylor was in the Gods (pre-Bluesbreakers). So my understanding is that there has never, ever been any animosity between them. At the Hall of Fame induction Ronnie is going out of his way to include Taylor (and forces him to speak too).

From a visual point of view, maybe Jagger can persuade him to get in shape. But that is the only possible obstacle. He's still orders of magnitude better as a musician than Ronnie or Keith.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 20, 2011 06:55

My guess is that Taylor could never stay healthy for the duration of a Stones tour at this point. So it's really a moot point. Besides, is there any realistic indication that Keef could survive a tour at this point?

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: July 20, 2011 07:16

Yes

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: July 20, 2011 12:53

I'd rather have another great solo album by Mick Taylor, recorded in a real studio.

Date: July 20, 2011 12:57

71Tele
paulm
WENNER:
JAGGER:
WENNER:
He never explained?
JAGGER:
WENNER:
On musical issues?
JAGGER:

Not much to conclude with, is it? Jagger is vague - and he is guessing!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1326
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home