Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Stevie Wonder To Tour; Playing "Songs From The Key Of Life" In Its Entirety
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 11, 2014 04:32

Re: OT: Stevie Wonder To Tour; Playing "Songs From The Key Of Life" In Its Entirety
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 11, 2014 04:41

Thanks tatters! This is great news, love that record. I wonder how the tunes will sound with all the new technology. Here was his setup in 2009:

The back line had two percussionists, two guitars, two keyboardists, drummer and bass, sax, trumpet, plus four backup vocalists.

Stevie's rig was a Yamaha C7 grand, which he played about 50% of the time, a Motif XS8 that he played about 35% of the time, and a D6 clavinet that was modded with an FX loop and a balanced out, which he only played a little (Superstition, Higher Ground). There was an electric drum kit set up in front, but no one played it.

First Backup keyboardist had a Motif XS8 and a Fantom of some type. Second one had a Motif XS8 plus a D6 clav.

No Rhodes piano (new or old) in sight anywhere. They played a faux Rhodes sound on the Motifs about 80% of the time, sometimes with some over-the-top effects, sometimes using the pitch bender quite a bit (not Stevie with the pitch bend).

peace

Re: OT: Stevie Wonder To Tour; Playing "Songs From The Key Of Life" In Its Entirety
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 11, 2014 06:23

Stevie finally got his way with Motown when they wanted "Little Stevie" to grow up to be a nightclub singer.

"Songs in the Key of Life," which he had to have his lawyer insist be released,is loaded with great songs and one of his all time most successful albums.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 11, 2014 07:03

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-08 04:57 by swiss.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 11, 2014 11:00

this could be pretty cool. Stevie is a phenomenal performer.

Date: September 11, 2014 13:54

I'd much rather he do a career-spanning greatest hits show and not just do the whole of one album (a good one, but not my favorite) and nothing else. Still, he tours so infrequently and plays so few shows that I guess I should feel fortunate that I have the chance to see him at all.

Date: September 11, 2014 14:03

tatters
I'd much rather he do a career-spanning greatest hits show and not just do the whole of one album (a good one, but not my favorite) and nothing else. Still, he tours so infrequently and plays so few shows that I guess I should feel fortunate that I have the chance to see him at all.

I saw him on the "Hotter than July" tour from the 3rd row. It was awesome. Bob Marley was supposed to open but that was when he got sick. Gil Scott-Heron did a fine job in his place.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 11, 2014 15:43

Thanks, Tatters. Looks like he's heading to the Verizon Center, so I'm gonna see about a few tickets.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 11, 2014 15:56

I saw him three years ago on Jakarta Indonesia and he was amazing. Full band too. Horn section, backing singers, Keyboards along with him, three guitarists, bass, drums and percussion. Amazing! He did it all. Some of his schmaltzy stuff too, but all was forgiven when he launched into I Wish and Living in the City. Great show and the man has lost none of his chops. Go if you can. He's a living legend.

Date: September 11, 2014 16:27

whitem8
I saw him three years ago on Jakarta Indonesia and he was amazing. Full band too. Horn section, backing singers, Keyboards along with him, three guitarists, bass, drums and percussion. Amazing! He did it all. Some of his schmaltzy stuff too, but all was forgiven when he launched into I Wish and Living in the City. Great show and the man has lost none of his chops. Go if you can. He's a living legend.

Never seen him and haven't always heard good things about his shows. Did he medley his hits (I hate when they do that), or did he play the songs all the way through?

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: September 11, 2014 19:43

Medley. It was the only drawback to an otherwise outstanding show.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 11, 2014 22:42

Songs In The Key Of Life is a fantastic album. I enjoy it still. All original instrumentation, like the harp on 'If Its Magic'- ..awesome..

what a great musician and songwriter. I hope I get to see this.

the song "As" is one of my all-time favorites. Imagine that one live...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 12, 2014 02:55

tatters
whitem8

Never seen him and haven't always heard good things about his shows. Did he medley his hits (I hate when they do that), or did he play the songs all the way through?
He played entire songs. No melodies. And was in very strong voice.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: September 12, 2014 03:47

At the 18th Annual House Full of Toys Benefit Concert, at the Nokia Theatre last December, he played the entire "Songs In The Key Of Life" album including the four tracks from the bonus record (vinyl listeners will know what I mean) and a song that he said hadn't made the cut for the album.
Full band with some of the musicians who played on the album. Stevie sounded great and it was a fine show, definitely worth seeing if you have the opportunity.

Date: September 12, 2014 04:33

Here is a great clip of Stevie playing I Wish with Bonnie Raitt. She is groovin' right along with her favorite strat and bottleneck slide and some nice B/G vocals too.

She must have been in heaven playing with him on this tune...I know I'm in heaven just playing along to his recorded version of this tune. peace

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 12, 2014 07:52

Naturalust
Here is a great clip of Stevie playing I Wish with Bonnie Raitt. She is groovin' right along with her favorite strat and bottleneck slide and some nice B/G vocals too.

She must have been in heaven playing with him on this tune...I know I'm in heaven just playing along to his recorded version of this tune. peace

[www.youtube.com]

Are you going to go to the Oakland show?

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: September 12, 2014 12:14

I wish he would come to Europe
thank for the vid' Naluralust: two great musicians sharing the stage !

Date: September 13, 2014 01:37

swiss
Naturalust

[www.youtube.com]

I Wish.... I'm 10,000 Light years from Home so unfortunately not. Hope you get to see a great show! peace

Date: September 13, 2014 03:52

Naturalust
swiss
Naturalust

[www.youtube.com]

I Wish.... I'm 10,000 Light years from Home so unfortunately not. Hope you get to see a great show! peace

Where you be, King Bee?

Date: September 13, 2014 04:58

swiss
Naturalust
swiss
Naturalust

[www.youtube.com]

Where you be, King Bee?

I'm in the mountains, far from the sea, a tiny town called Arlee, my Kootenai friends and me. peace

Date: September 13, 2014 05:19

Naturalust
swiss
Naturalust
swiss
Naturalust

[www.youtube.com]

Wow, that is out there -- enjoy! Hope you-all are making good music and enjoying merriment!

Where you be, King Bee?

I'm in the mountains, far from the sea, a tiny town called Arlee, my Kootenai friends and me. peace

Wow, that is out there -- enjoy! Hope you-all are making good music and enjoying merriment!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-14 20:10 by swiss.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 14, 2014 06:23

In its entirety? Well, we better get this then.....

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 7, 2015 16:24

Finally getting to see this show two weeks from tonight in Detroit. Anyone else seen it, this year or last?

Date: November 8, 2015 04:58

tatters
Finally getting to see this show two weeks from tonight in Detroit. Anyone else seen it, this year or last?

Can't wait to hear how this was -- hadn't read or heard any reviews. Do you live in Detroit, tatters?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 8, 2015 05:12

He's coming to Charlottesville VA on the 17th, my sister sent me the link because she remembered how much I loved that album. Wish I could go, but I have to do Mom things over the next few weekends. Have fun Tatters and do give us all your review. smileys with beer

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 8, 2015 05:19

Setlist from Verizon Arena, North Little Rock, Arkansas November 5, 2015

01. Love's in Need of Love Today

02. Have a Talk With God

03. Village Ghetto Land

04. Contusion

05. Sir Duke

06. I Wish

07. Knocks Me Off My Feet

08. Pastime Paradise

09. Summer Soft

10. Ordinary Pain

11. Saturn

12. Ebony Eyes

Intermission

13. Isn't She Lovely

14. Joy Inside My Tears

15. Black Man

16. All Day Sucker

17. Easy Goin' Evening (My Mama's Call)

18. Lift Every Voice and Sing / America the Beautiful / The Star Spangled Banner

19. My Cherie Amour

20. People Get Ready
(The Impressions cover)

21. Happy Birthday
(recorded for Whoppi Goldberg)

22. Ngiculela - Es Una Historia - I Am Singing

23. If It's Magic

24. As

25. Another Star

Encore:
26. Children's Story
(Slick Rick cover)

27. Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now
(McFadden & Whitehead cover)

28. Uptown Funk
(Mark Ronson cover)

29. Signed, Sealed, Delivered

30. Living for the City

31. Superstition

Date: November 8, 2015 06:17

tatters

I saw it about a year ago in Seattle. Phenomenal! The man played over 3.5 hours. Really top notch band. My 2nd Stevie show, the 1st being about 1980. He is a national treasure. Enjoy!smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-08 15:17 by crholmstrom.

Date: November 8, 2015 14:56

swiss
tatters

Can't wait to hear how this was -- hadn't read or heard any reviews. Do you live in Detroit, tatters?

I live in Ypsilanti, which is 30 miles west of Detroit.

Date: November 8, 2015 15:22

crholmstrom
tatters

I saw it about a year ago in Seattle. Phenomenal! The man over 3.5 hours. Really top notch band. My 2nd Stevie show, the 1st being about 1980. He is a national treasure.

I wanted to see him last year, but something must have come up. I think maybe that was the night I had Burton Cummings tickets and my wife wasn't about to miss Burton Cummings.

I really wish this was a greatest hits show and not the entire SITKOL, which I actually regard not as his peak, but rather as the beginning of his long, slow decline, but I really do consider him to be among only a handful of true musical giants who are still alive at this point, so I'll take what I can get and be grateful to be seeing him at all.

He's 65 and rarely tours. This is his first show in downtown Detroit since 2001. It's the next to last stop on the tour, with only Madison Square Garden to follow, so I won't be too surprised if he's got a little something extra up his sleeve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-08 15:25 by tatters.

Date: November 9, 2015 14:35

tatters
crholmstrom
tatters

I saw it about a year ago in Seattle. Phenomenal! The man over 3.5 hours. Really top notch band. My 2nd Stevie show, the 1st being about 1980. He is a national treasure.

I wanted to see him last year, but something must have come up. I think maybe that was the night I had Burton Cummings tickets and my wife wasn't about to miss Burton Cummings.

I really wish this was a greatest hits show and not the entire SITKOL, which I actually regard not as his peak, but rather as the beginning of his long, slow decline, but I really do consider him to be among only a handful of true musical giants who are still alive at this point, so I'll take what I can get and be grateful to be seeing him at all.

He's 65 and rarely tours. This is his first show in downtown Detroit since 2001. It's the next to last stop on the tour, with only Madison Square Garden to follow, so I won't be too surprised if he's got a little something extra up his sleeve.

He plays some other stuff after "Songs". Quite a bit actually. Given its Detroit & 2nd to last show, you should rest up beforehand. It will probably a long & great night!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2300
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home