Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: My Morning Jacket
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: November 22, 2015 21:10

I've been a fan of Louisville's My Morning Jacket for several years, and was able to catch them again Fri. night at the Orpheum in Boston. (Site of my all-time favorite Stones show on the Licks tour BTW).
Anyway - they kicked some serious ass the other night. Just a great band. Jim James in addition to being a very gifted singer, is a monster on guitar (as is their 2nd guitarist). They play 4 shows at the Beacon in NY this week - any rock and rollers in the area should check it out - truly one of the better (somewhat newer) live acts out there right now, and their latest CD, The Waterfall, is terrific.

Re: OT: My Morning Jacket
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 22, 2015 22:29

Yes, they are a very interesting and talented band. I saw them last May, and they blew me away. Their music is very complex and layered, and it amazed me how they could just jam out on such complex music, making it sound so easy. A very spacey show. Waterfalls is a beautiful album, and they did a great job with the vinyl pressing.

Hanging on to Black Metal is a phenomenal song...one of my favs.

Re: OT: My Morning Jacket
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 23, 2015 00:59

Like the version of Dylan's "Goin' To Acapulco" done by Jim James on the 'I'm Not There' soundtrack and in the movie. The album's a fantastic collection of cover versions of Dylan's stuff and the movie is still one of the most interesting takes on Dylan and the whole persona/presentation/image he threw at the world and our take or not on what he is giving us. I have any number of friends who've watched this movie with me and walked away going, basically, "WTF was that all about it?" though they admit they liked parts of the movie, even though they couldn't figure out parts of it or what it said about Dylan, music or anything else. One of the great throw away lines/scenes is when the character who is supposedly Dylan introduces Brian Jones and notes that Brian is a member of a groovy covers band from Englan. Anyway, I digress....

Liked some of Jim James solo album, like some of My Morning Jacket's tunes, but not blown away by them. Same thing with Warren Haynes and Govt Mule, for example. Like some, not all. Go figure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1820
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home