Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Why is Dirty Work bashed?
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 14, 2011 20:15

71Tele
The Stones were always a great band. Great guitars, drums, vocals, attitude, etc. But none of that would have mattered if they had not come up with great songs. The reason DW (of, and Undercover) are so disparaged is that the songwriting really started to slip: Repetition of past glories, trendy stuff that didn't age well, experiments gone wrong. The songs just weren't there! I can't get any pleasure listening to a lousy song no matter how great the guitars sound. The Stones without optimal original songs are not much more interesting than Aerosmith.

True, though I'm not so sure the actual songs have greatly improved since those albums (with a small handful of notable selections).

I was listening to 'Main Offender' the other day, & there's not really any great songs on that (yes I know it's not the RS).

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: July 14, 2011 20:32

Funny thing about Back to Zero-

I wasn't even 10 years old when Dirty Work was released, and I only had a vague notion of who the Rolling Stones were in 1986, but when I finally bought the album in the '90s, I recognized that song. Did it get airplay or something??? Maybe it was in some commercial or promo. I remember liking it. Now I dislike it with a passion. Sometimes it gets stuck in my head, and I want to end it all just to be free of that catchy melody.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 14, 2011 20:53

Okay, instead of being a grumpy hen, say something positive about Dirty Work:

One Hit - crunchy, rusty bedsprings classic
Harlem Shuffle - Bill's bass
Hold Back - great lyrics
Too Rude - dig the groove
Winning Ugly - great lyrics. It's a great sports song.
Sleep Tonight - chokes me up a little. makes me think of Stu.

Date: July 14, 2011 21:00

Too Rude is probably my least favourite. It's a good performance & song, but it sounds nothing like The Rolling Stones & very out of place (it sounds more like UB40, a band I like but...).

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 14, 2011 21:23

It is bashed because it is a Keith solo album. Consider no WW III shit going between Mick and him, and these are the ideas they have in mind when they meet in the studio as there is She's the Boss in Mick's mind and more or less this in Keith's.

Let me suggest it would have sounded like this and Dirty Work still would have been a good title despite the song being dropped from it:

1 One Hit (To The Body“)
2 Fight
3 Harlem Shuffle
4 Hard Woman
5 Too Rude

6 Lonely At The Top
7 Just Another Night
8 Lucky In Love
9 Had It With You
10 Sleep Tonight / Key To The Highway

Criteria are: Ratio between Mick and Keith songs (plus Ronnie influence - see Pretty Beat Up of the the album before), song released on single, played live, played on tv, video existing.
If you audio-translate this in a Glimmer twins produced record, everybody here on the board would still cheer on that ultra successful album and the magazines would announce any successor as the best Stones album since - no, not Some Girls... - Dirty Work!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-14 21:31 by JJHMick.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 14, 2011 21:51

thats a damn good line-up of songs jjHMick.i would have put running out of luck on there somewhre though.i love that song.."running out of luck,running out of speed running out of a whole lifes low life posessions"

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 14, 2011 22:00

There nothing wrong with "Dirty Work" it's that bad electronic Charlie drumming all the way through.......always wonder if it's really Charlie playing on DW.

Play it again and listen to the dhrum only..............

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 14, 2011 22:08

71Tele
The Stones were always a great band. Great guitars, drums, vocals, attitude, etc. But none of that would have mattered if they had not come up with great songs. The reason DW (of, and Undercover) are so disparaged is that the songwriting really started to slip: Repetition of past glories, trendy stuff that didn't age well, experiments gone wrong. The songs just weren't there! I can't get any pleasure listening to a lousy song no matter how great the guitars sound. The Stones without optimal original songs are not much more interesting than Aerosmith.

I did not know that Aerosmith was of some interest.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 14, 2011 22:10

Sleepy City
Too Rude is probably my least favourite. It's a good performance & song, but it sounds nothing like The Rolling Stones & very out of place (it sounds more like UB40, a band I like but...).

It isn't a Stones song, it's Keith and Ronnie and a bunch of session musicians.

Mathijs

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: July 14, 2011 22:15

Oh come on, we bash DW because it sucks. Four half decent tunes, the rest trash. Every band has to have a nadir, especially one with so long a history. Love the way this thread leads off with the likers, then an assault of bashers, then people bashing the bashers . . .

To the guy who mentioned Picasso. Touche, you can find people who think Shakespeare's a hack, and not even the glovemaker's son from Avon. But don't be dissin' cats. I like cats.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 14, 2011 22:26

Mathijs
Sleepy City

Mathijs

if we use that criteria we'd have to ignore all of bridges to babylon.wait a minute,i DO ignore all of bridges to babylon.carry on...

Date: July 14, 2011 22:34

lem motlow
Mathijs
Sleepy City

Mathijs

if we use that criteria we'd have to ignore all of bridges to babylon.wait a minute,i DO ignore all of bridges to babylon.carry on...

If you do ignore Bridges to Babylon then you miss the best Stones long player since - see above - the non-existing Dirty Work and before that - no, not Some Girls... - Exile On Main Street!
I'm serious.

Date: July 14, 2011 22:43

JJHMick
If you do ignore Bridges to Babylon then you miss the best Stones long player since - see above - the non-existing Dirty Work and before that - no, not Some Girls... - Exile On Main Street!
I'm serious.

You could be right. BTB is a very under-appreciated album, with little of the Stones-by-numbers tracks that are on VL & (to a lesser extent) ABB.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 14, 2011 22:57

even so, Keith wanted to tour, and said at the time that DW was designed for them to go out and play it. he said something like: " hey, we've got a good album here! Spent a year with our backs to the wall making it."

this in the context of Jagger insisting the band was in no shape to tour.

interesting, we are rating a record that most dismiss now, in light of how sorry the Stones' situation was then.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 14, 2011 23:57

That fruggin cover sucked, they look like a real happy group. Maybe that's why its get no respect

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 15, 2011 00:03

Sleepy City
71Tele

True, though I'm not so sure the actual songs have greatly improved since those albums (with a small handful of notable selections).

I was listening to 'Main Offender' the other day, & there's not really any great songs on that (yes I know it's not the RS).

You're right! I think Main Offender doesn't have any real songs.

Date: July 15, 2011 00:07

24FPS

Hold Back - great lyrics

One Hit - mediocre, formulaic
Harlem Shuffle - Yes, this track grooves nicely.
Hold Back - Forgettable. In fact I can't remember it at all beyond the title.
Too Rude - Barely a Rolling Stones song.
Winning Ugly - Great concept. Crap song.
Sleep Tonight - This one I like, but not enough to redeem the rest of the album

Date: July 15, 2011 00:08

phd
71Tele

I did not know that Aerosmith was of some interest.

They are not - to me. But people post stuff about them here all the time for reasons that remain elusive to me.

Date: July 15, 2011 00:10

lem motlow
Mathijs
Sleepy City

Mathijs

Fine with me. I've been successfully ignoring B2B for years with no negative impact.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 15, 2011 00:25

71Tele
24FPS

Hold Back - great lyrics

Man, for music you despise so much, you sure do talk about it a lot, 20% of the post (12/76) are from you alone.

ps
I do try to follow the rule "DONT LIKE IT, DONT READ IT, SKIP IT" (and I did not even comment on you grumpy hens until post 45 on this thread) but it seems the whole front page is headed toward that rule... BLACK CROWES... Women's World Cup..... Foreigner's Lou Gramm.... Tour de France 2011... Jimmy Page... whining .... Ronnie and the Wrinklies... bitching... Super Heavy... bashing.... and of course the standard Bill Wymann Mick Taylor drivel....

which is not good or bad.... I AM NOT JUDGING TOPICS, I do like some of them, but they sure are not Stones related... and yeah yeah... no album, no tour.... nothing to talk about... and sure we sure dont want any awkward pauses... cant have that... gotta post something, eh?

Date: July 15, 2011 00:29

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
24FPS

Hold Back - great lyrics

Man, for music you despise so much, you sure do talk about it a lot, 20% of the post (12/76) are from you alone.

ps
I do try to follow the rule "DONT LIKE IT, DONT READ IT, SKIP IT" (and I did not even comment on you grumpy hens until post 45 on this thread) but it seems the whole front page is headed toward that rule... BLACK CROWES... Women's World Cup..... Foreigner's Lou Gramm.... Tour de France 2011... Jimmy Page... whining .... Ronnie and the Wrinklies... bitching... Super Heavy... bashing.... and of course the standard Bill Wymann Mick Taylor drivel....

which is not good or bad.... I AM NOT JUDGING TOPICS, I do like some of them, but they sure are not Stones related... and yeah yeah... no album, no tour.... nothing to talk about... and sure we sure dont want any awkward pauses... cant have that... gotta post something, eh?

Sorry, I'm confused. I thought the title of this thread was "Why Is Dirty Work Bashed?". Also nice to know you have time to count my posts. I guess this will make 13. What is the percentage now? I don't want to lose track. One other thing, the "grumpy hens" bit is wearing a bit thin. Cheers.

Date: July 15, 2011 00:33

Yeah the "grumpy hens" are wearing a bit thin....

Date: July 15, 2011 00:40

Max'sKansasCity

OK, you win. Like "Dirty Work" itself, it's not worth the fight.

Date: July 15, 2011 00:45

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity

OK, you win. Like "Dirty Work" itself, it's not worth the fight.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 15, 2011 00:46

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 15, 2011 00:55

JJHMick
It is bashed because it is a Keith solo album. Consider no WW III shit going between Mick and him, and these are the ideas they have in mind when they meet in the studio as there is She's the Boss in Mick's mind and more or less this in Keith's.

Let me suggest it would have sounded like this and Dirty Work still would have been a good title despite the song being dropped from it:

1 One Hit (To The Body“)
2 Fight
3 Harlem Shuffle
4 Hard Woman
5 Too Rude

6 Lonely At The Top
7 Just Another Night
8 Lucky In Love
9 Had It With You

Criteria are: Ratio between Mick and Keith songs (plus Ronnie influence - see Pretty Beat Up of the the album before), song released on single, played live, played on tv, video existing.
If you audio-translate this in a Glimmer twins produced record, everybody here on the board would still cheer on that ultra successful album and the magazines would announce any successor as the best Stones album since - no, not Some Girls... - Dirty Work!

Yes, this lineup is much better...now I only hate it.

Date: July 15, 2011 01:08

treaclefingers
JJHMick

1 One Hit (To The Body“)
2 Fight
3 Harlem Shuffle
4 Hard Woman
5 Too Rude

6 Lonely At The Top
7 Just Another Night
8 Lucky In Love
9 Had It With You

Yes, this lineup is much better...now I only hate it.

Fine, let us hear your loved-ones-collection:
Back To Zero
Dirty Work
Half A Loaf
Hold Back
Lonely At The Top
Running Out Of Luck
Secrets (btw, that would have made a great Stones song produced well!!!)
She's The Boss
Turn The Girl Loose
Winning Ugly
?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 15, 2011 01:11

ROCKMAN

Date: July 15, 2011 01:15

Rockman
KEWL POSTER!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-15 01:23 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: July 15, 2011 01:44

Rockman

Thanks for this, Dr. Rock. Actually love the "Helga"--or was it "Olga?"--S&M aerobics cartoon and the scrawled credits on the LP sleeve. I think it's actually some of the funniest and most appropriate artwork to accompany a Stones record.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1423
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home