Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Police review Rolling Stone Brian Jones death after MoS reveals new evidence
Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: August 30, 2009 01:58

Police review Rolling Stone Brian Jones death after MoS reveals new evidence

By Christopher Leake

Police are reviewing the death of Rolling Stone Brian Jones – 40 years after his body was found at the bottom of a swimming pool.
The dramatic move by Sussex Police follows new evidence unearthed by The Mail on Sunday about the mysterious death of the rock legend which suggests he was murdered by his minder.
Officially, Jones drowned, aged 27, in his pool at Cotchford Farm, Hartfield, East Sussex, on July 2, 1969, while under the influence of drink and drugs.
An inquest recorded a verdict of death by misadventure, even though the post-mortem report said there were no illegal drugs in the star’s body, just the equivalent of three-and-a-half pints of beer.
But now, a review officer based at Sussex Police CID headquarters has been assigned to trawl through 600 documents handed over by investigative journalist Scott Jones, who undertook a four-year probe into the guitarist’s death.

The new evidence was compiled by Mr Jones – no relation to the dead Stone – and disclosed by this newspaper last November.
The move follows a three-and-a-half-hour meeting Mr Jones had with senior Sussex police officers last month when they discussed testimony from witnesses at the house on the night Jones died.

Detectives are studying previously unseen files released by the Public Records Office and may launch a new investigation if they believe there is enough new evidence.
This marks a U-turn by Sussex Police, who until now have rejected requests to reopen the case.
Scott Jones said last night: ‘There is no time limit on the review. But after 40 years of mystery, anyone who values Brian’s reputation will be happy to wait for the outcome.’
Last November, we revealed fresh evidence from nurse Janet Lawson, who found Jones’s body. She said she saw his minder, Frank Thorogood, jump into the pool and ‘do something to Brian’. She was convinced he had killed Jones.
Thorogood died in 1994. Her claims are supported by PC Albert Evans, the first officer on the scene, who spoke to all the witnesses in the hours after Jones’s death and concluded he had died as a result of a fight with Thorogood.
New evidence also emerged about the original investigation by Detective Chief Inspector Bob Marshall, which shows that three unidentified witnesses were allowed to leave the scene without being interviewed.
Finally, police files have revealed how taxi driver Joan Fitzsimons, a former girlfriend of Thorogood, was attacked and left for dead three weeks after Brian Jones died. According to the official records, Ms Fitzsimons was planning to speak to the media about Jones’s death.
Thorogood was said to have been desperately searching for Ms Fitzsimons in the weeks before the attack because, the files reveal, she knew too much about the band. She died in 2002.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Responses:

Re: Police review Rolling Stone Brian Jones death after MoS reveals new evidence
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 30, 2009 02:05

Who cares,it was 40 years ago.

Re: Police review Rolling Stone Brian Jones death after MoS reveals new evidence
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 30, 2009 02:35

yeah thats right who cares that someone was murdered it was 40 years ago, what a ridiculous comment

Date: August 30, 2009 02:37

melillo
yeah thats right who cares that someone was murdered it was 40 years ago, what a ridiculous comment

Yeah and we have been hearing the same conspiracy theories for 40 years. Nothing new.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: August 30, 2009 03:51

Wow, this is huge news! For the first time in 40 years, the Sussex Police will finally look into the matter.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 30, 2009 03:52

Don't think we'll ever know the real story. Seems a little like the JFK saga. Too many key people are already gone. A truth left to the passage of time.

Date: August 30, 2009 03:53

sweetcharmedlife

That's an incredibly stupid comment.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: August 30, 2009 05:59

Why aren't they using Trevors famous dossier?

OLDKR

Date: August 30, 2009 07:33

neptune
sweetcharmedlife

Why is it a stupid comment. It's true. How many more terrible horrific crimes have been comitted in the past 40 years that haven't been solved? Why is it that this case deserves any more attention than any others. Because their is a fanatical group of people who just won't let this go?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 30, 2009 08:13

sweetcharmedlife

Lots of people care.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: August 30, 2009 08:35

From my viewings of 20/20, Dateline, etc., it seems that the people who won't let murders go who end up getting them solved.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: August 30, 2009 11:45

>>>Who cares???

*We* do, actually. This is a Stones forum and Brian was the founder of the Stones.

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: August 30, 2009 12:07

I'm sure his kids care too.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 30, 2009 12:46

What again? But the Mail on Sunday only trotted this story out about 9 months ago. Nothing ever happens and nothing ever will.

Date: August 30, 2009 17:19

sweetcharmedlife
neptune
sweetcharmedlife

Why is it a stupid comment. It's true. How many more terrible horrific crimes have been comitted in the past 40 years that haven't been solved? Why is it that this case deserves any more attention than any others. Because their is a fanatical group of people who just won't let this go?

Hello, McFly? Is anybody there? This is a Stones forum. Brian Jones was the founder of the Rolling Stones. Did you know that? Probably not.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: August 30, 2009 18:07

As a huge BJ-fan I'm happy that the police finally dig into this case once more. But at the same time it's hopeless. The key persons are dead by now wich means that the police should have started to investigate this again a loooong time ago. There are too many questions around the murder of Brian. Maybe I'm wrong but it just seems like the people that were on Cotchford Farm that night got away a little too easy from the police.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 30, 2009 19:08

no poiltical names mentioned but we have been celebrating a guy in Mass for the last 5 days but he murdered someone 40 years ago - Does not seem to matter to most people but it does to me. If Brian was murdered I'd like to know.

Posted by: Sister Marie ()
Date: August 30, 2009 20:22

slew
If Brian was murdered I'd like to know.
Me too. I think it's important to know, if it's still possible.
As it would be interesting to know the truth about every important/old mystery, even very old...

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: August 30, 2009 20:57

My money says that this Scott Jones guy has a book coming out just in time for the Christmas market.

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: August 30, 2009 21:28

i read years ago that thorogood confessed to jones murder on his deathbed.

and if his former girlfriend was done in 3 weeks later, it dosent take much to work out what happened.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 30, 2009 21:34

Elmo
My money says that this Scott Jones guy has a book coming out just in time for the Christmas market.

Yes, thats the bottom line to the whole Brian Jones thing. People say that they are in it for the sake of finding the truth, but it always turns out that they are in it for the money. Like Trevor - just one example. His famous dossier only exists in his dreams, but it served him well to create interest in the Brian Jones affair again and keep the myth alive long enough to suck a decent amount of cash from Brian Jones fans who desperately wanted to know the "truth".

As far as I remember, there was a statement by Sussex police some time ago that they would not open the case again because people make money with it and they would not want to fill their pockets - or at least something along these lines. Which also implies that at the time - contrary to Trevors ballyhoo - there simply was not enough evidence to justify reopening the case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-30 21:46 by alimente.

Date: August 30, 2009 21:43

neptune
sweetcharmedlife
neptune
sweetcharmedlife

Hello, McFly? Is anybody there? This is a Stones forum. Brian Jones was the founder of the Rolling Stones. Did you know that? Probably not.

Yeah I'm quite well aware of it and quite well aware of all the wack jobs like you who have been screaming conspiracy for the last 40 years.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 31, 2009 01:22

slew
no poiltical names mentioned but we have been celebrating a guy in Mass for the last 5 days but he murdered someone 40 years ago - Does not seem to matter to most people but it does to me. If Brian was murdered I'd like to know.

"Murder" implies killing someone INTENTIONALLY. The case you're referring to was an accident.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 31, 2009 01:49

You're celebrating someone in mass that murdered someone? That's one hell of a church you go to.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: August 31, 2009 03:15

tatters
slew

"Murder" implies killing someone INTENTIONALLY. The case you're referring to was an accident.

exactly. "manslaughter" is the appropriate term in that case.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 31, 2009 04:03

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-31 04:07 by melillo.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: August 31, 2009 04:33

still why is nobody referencing Trevor Hobley's years of fundraising and research and pestering the authorities to do something? I'd heard his dossier was explosive...

OLDKR

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: August 31, 2009 09:22

because of this case more and more people who were not stones fans are learning about brian and of his leagacy with the stones and realising that ronnie wood is not a founding member of the band/

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 31, 2009 11:24

oldkr
still why is nobody referencing Trevor Hobley's years of fundraising and research and pestering the authorities to do something? I'd heard his dossier was explosive...

OLDKR

Isn't it a case that the police have seen this 'dossier', but yet nothing really happened because of it!?

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: August 31, 2009 11:38

[www.nu.nl]

Dutch News.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1080
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home