Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Just What Exactly Can The Stones Do To Get You Excited Again?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 12, 2011 15:09

SweetThing
Well,

I think the years are catching up to them and for a tour to work, and be interesting to them and to the stones fan, (do something different) they ought to make a couple of radical changes -

Play a bit of Ronnie, Mick's and Keith's solo stuff - as a band. Let Ronnie start with "I can Feel the Fire" "Breathe on Me" or "Seven Days", and go eventually into Jagger's songs - "God Gave Me Everything", "Lucky in Love" etc. and whatever of Keith's solo stuff.

Why bother doing that when there's 40% of their OWN back catalogue that theyve never played live? They dont need to look to their solo stuff to freshen things up.

Date: July 12, 2011 15:11

tomk
Gazza
Justin
IF they tour:

-Drop all supporting musicians
-Cut the amount of warhorses in a show by at least half
-Lower ticket prices by at least half
-Release an album of meaningful music..not just a product to meet contractual obligations

The first one doesnt bother me so much as I think its something that they seem to need, but the other three are spot on.

The most exciting thing they can do though at this point for me is some serious and professionally organised archiving.

Of course we'd all like that. That goes without saying. But does the band have a proper archivist, like, say, Neil Young? I don't think they do.

No, they do not. And their vaults seem to be in a bit of a mess, going by the interviews they did around the time of the Exile reissue. Appointing a small 'team' of people to do this properly could work wonders.

Opening the vaults more is all very well in theory, but doing it efficiently and professionally is another thing entirely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-12 15:14 by Gazza.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 12, 2011 15:56

stonescrow.."If The Stones are happy..Im happy"..smoking smiley

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 12, 2011 16:04

but but but i am excited again!

(i tried being unexcited for a while in 1973-74
but i figured out pretty quick that that was a lost cause)

i love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: July 12, 2011 16:16

- Go through the vaults to find some unreleasesd/unfinished gems or write some decent new tunes.
- Ditch Don Was and get a new producer.
- Rerecord/finish those tracks with a 2011 attitude instead of trying to recreate the 'golden era' sound.
- Release the tracks without 'everything louder than everything else' mastering.
- Get on the road again as Ronnie is now in great form.
- Get someone who knows and respects the bands legacy to coordinate the production of some decent, well researched archive releases (me).

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: July 12, 2011 16:43

resotele
I would be happy and enthusiastic with

- a live-anthology 1962 - 1967 (multi cd-set with bonus dvd)
- a live-anthology 1969 - 1973 (multi cd-set with bonus dvd)
- a live anthology 1975 - 1982 (multi cd-set with bonus dvd)
- a live-anthology 1983 - 2007 (cd-ep, no dvd)

- a new record of blues, soul and rocksongs

- and a never ending tour through theaters, clubs, bars, playing the decca-lp's

Dream on, baby

Holy Sh*t! - This would DEFINITELY work for me also. An anthology of outtakes would be pretty sweet too.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: July 12, 2011 16:49

1) Mick and Keith to actually write songs together again and not build albums around studio jams with lyrics thrown in as an after thought

2) Hook up with a new producer, Jack White or Rick Rubin. New ears, new direction.
Someone to actually produce like Jimmy Miller used to do.

3) Experiment more. Take more chances. Their best work was when they pushed the envelope a bit. The last albums have become too predictable. They, the band, sound bored.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 12, 2011 16:54

Retire. smoking smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 12, 2011 16:55

Announce a 50th Anniversary Tour

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 12, 2011 16:56

If I could stick my pen in my heart
And spill it all over the stage
Would it satisfy ya, would it slide on by ya
Would you think the boy is strange? Ain't he strange?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-12 16:58 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 12, 2011 17:01

tomk
Gazza
Justin
IF they tour:

-Release an album of meaningful music..not just a product to meet contractual obligations

The first one doesnt bother me so much as I think its something that they seem to need, but the other three are spot on.

The most exciting thing they can do though at this point for me is some serious and professionally organised archiving.

Of course we'd all like that. That goes without saying. But does the band have a proper archivist, like, say, Neil Young? I don't think they do.

Neil Young is the Stones' archivist? First I've heard of it :-)

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: July 12, 2011 17:23

24FPS
BETTER sidemen. There's got to be a piano player who can actually play all the notes to She's A Rainbow.
That! I suggest Ian McLagan. If he's not an option or otherwise not the solution, they ought to hire a classical pianist. Nicky Hopkins was classically schooled and most people seem to agree he's the best ever. Surely someone talented enough can be "bribed" to "lower" themselves to playing popular music, given all the money the band rake in on any given tour.

Date: July 12, 2011 17:30

tomcat2006
tomk
Gazza
Justin
IF they tour:

Neil Young is the Stones' archivist? First I've heard of it :-)

'I'm singing this borrowed tune/I took from the Rolling Stones' should have been a dead giveaway, tomcat....

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: July 12, 2011 17:35

Act like they know each other?

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 12, 2011 22:48

Send their daughters over to my house naked.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 12, 2011 23:24

bob r
1) Mick and Keith to actually write songs together again and not build albums around studio jams with lyrics thrown in as an after thought

2) Hook up with a new producer, Jack White or Rick Rubin. New ears, new direction.

3) Experiment more. Take more chances. Their best work was when they pushed the envelope a bit. The last albums have become too predictable. They, the band, sound bored.

If you listened to any album. people have to clue who produced it. If the new album is produced by Rick Rubin or Jack White people wouldn't know the difference until they read the liner notes. Yopu can't tell that Beggars Banquet and Goats Head Soup was produced by the same person. If it says produced by The Easter Bunny when it was really Rick Rubin I sware that 100% of Rick Rubin fans wouldn't know it was him.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 12, 2011 23:48

This is too easy:

1. Treat the warmup bands better....
2. Bring Bill Wyman back
3. replace Mick Jagger with someone who can sing and relegate him to his excellent harmonica playing
4. Replace R Wood with a new undiscovered guitar player who is hungry enough to create something exciting and not just incredibly BORING (sympathetic) stuff. Someone who can actully play slide not just move it up and down the fretboard and try to look cool. He has never moved me with the stones, a bit with Rod Stewart.
5. Interact with the audience in a more intimate way.
6. ALL ACOUSTIC SHOW- plenty of tunes which would work here.
7. Mix the friggin backup vocals UP and get the harmonies working in the band!
8. Bring the stones kids into the act and show us some family spirit.

I could go on.......

peace.

Date: July 12, 2011 23:55

Jack White as a producer for the stones? Ha. He isn't qualified to even tune the guitars...what a poser... maybe rick rubin could help a bit.
The stones produce themselves, doesn't matter who helps out. Maybe Mutt Lange could get another classic album out of them but I doubt it.
peace.

Date: July 13, 2011 00:00

lmfao- careful what you wish for....

Date: July 13, 2011 00:09

More Hot Rocks
bob r

If you listened to any album. people have to clue who produced it. If the new album is produced by Rick Rubin or Jack White people wouldn't know the difference until they read the liner notes. Yopu can't tell that Beggars Banquet and Goats Head Soup was produced by the same person. If it says produced by The Easter Bunny when it was really Rick Rubin I sware that 100% of Rick Rubin fans wouldn't know it was him.

the stones obviously produce themselves. Bob r - good comments!

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 13, 2011 01:42

Release the unreleased music (as well as previously release on vinyl only music on CD etc). Whether the songs are finished or not makes no difference to me - I would just like to have them at the highest quality possible (like those Voodoo boots - fantastic quality on those). And it would be great if they'd give us more than just - like I'm Not Signifying - everyone knows of the chippy guitar version and then the one on Exile Rarities is completely different (and better). So why didn't they put both of them on?

That's what I'd like.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 13, 2011 01:54

More Hot Rocks
bob r

The one producer who really stamped his trademark sound on the RS's work was Steve Lillywhite.

Posted by: Fuman2 ()
Date: July 13, 2011 01:56

Facilitate a Beatles reunion.

Date: July 13, 2011 01:58

Naturalust
Jack White as a producer for the stones? Ha. He isn't qualified to even tune the guitars...what a poser... maybe rick rubin could help a bit.
The stones produce themselves, doesn't matter who helps out. Maybe Mutt Lange could get another classic album out of them but I doubt it.
peace.

What part of 'Jagger and Rubin didnt get on and Rubin has no wish to work with him again (and probably vice versa)' do Stones fans not get?

Posted by: Swedgen72 ()
Date: July 13, 2011 04:30

stonescrow
Just curious, (for fans that have lost their enthusiasm for the Stones) what exactly could the Stones do (if anything) to get you excited again as a fan? Seems like there are many on this forum who are really not that enthusiastic about the future of the Stones anymore, or the Stones in general. Others see no future for them at all.

1. Bring back Mick Taylor.
2. Release more quality unseen material - like Ladies and Gentlemen. I would love to hear a gig from the Brian Jones era with decent sound quality and performance.
3. Remove 99% of all the excess from their stage show and scale it right back to basics. Drop ticket prices accordingly.
4. Change the show to a 2-set concert. First set the best early Brian Jones stuff, the best Ron Wood stuff, then the second set let Taylor loose. Easy.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 13, 2011 04:53

I can't get excited. I am 53 and have been a "fan" for 40 years. The page has turned for me and for the Rolling Stones.

I still say 1981 was the last true blast from the Rolling Stones and the feeling was oh so sweet. "Old men" that pulled it off, had a hit record, and made millions of fans happy. There was a Rolling Stones buzz in the air.

30 years later, it's all impossible to do now. Teenagers and twenty-somethings and thirty-somethings do not have any resonance with the Rolling Stones.

It's sad in many ways when the thrills in life cease to be thrills anymore. If only we could be 19 forever but it simply isn't true.

And from my bubble, most of the music nowadays sucks. The Rolling Stones full catalog is on my computer along with a lot of other music. The Stones will live on forever in cyberspace.

I bet you the average age of the contributors around here is about 55-57. At least we have memories of the band in their prime.

The passing of time is sometimes sad.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: July 13, 2011 09:36

1. September 2011, Mick and Keith rent a production studio for 3 weeks to start swapping ideas for songs. Ronnie joins them during week 2 to contribute/help gel the new tunes. They cut some DEMOs during week 3+ with veteran studio cats on drums (newmark, keltner-type) and piano (Mac, Rabbit, JPJ). This will cause the Stones to react to and add more Stonesiness when they cut them for real, and could lead to slightly different flavors/detours which lead them in a fresh direction.

2. Call up an old school mixing desk vet (Glyn Johns-esque or someone they get along with who's not Don Was) to engineer. 6 weeks in November/early Dec. in London, the band starts cutting tracks for a new album. Various pianists are brought in for basic tracks, and Ron, KR, MT and Wyman overdub some bass parts. The last 2 weeks, some horns are brought in and so are some guest guitarists (MT, Page) to see if they can catch some magic with their acoustics and leads. They actually craft intros and outros and bridges and solo breaks like they did pre-ABB. The band sifts thru what they have in January.

3. Over to the States in March 2012 for a final month of overdubs, finalized lyrics/lead vocals, Taylor/Wood solos, a few 'fresh' faces/guests for background singers, percussion, a solo or two. Start rough mixes and song selection.

4. In April, a bootleg of the rough mixes hits the IORR Hot Stuff section, and the IORR community responds with every kind of suggestion from the serious to the silly. Mick and Keith, drowning in their 30 tracks, are unable to make any headway in the song selection and sequencing, happen upon some practical suggestions from the IORR board that they, in a moment of exhaustion, take to heart ("uh, guys? Under the Radar HAS to be on the main product, Sweet Neocon HAS to be a b-side/outtake" "Unless it's bursting with awesomeness, keep the main non-deluxe release to a core 45 minutes" ) and their final record is their best since SG.

OK, I might have gotten carried away, but it sure would make me excited!

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: July 13, 2011 18:06

i am very easy and low profile: a new damned cd

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 13, 2011 18:19

A time machine from which Anita and Marianne emerge to open the new show with a naked mud wrestling session.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 13, 2011 19:38

New (blues-oriented) album, new tour with guest appearance of MT during songs like Sway or Time Waits For No One, rather small venues, few additional musicians, no Las Vegas back up, simply back to the roots ...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1830
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home